Thais Ok With Corrupted Government

webfact

Corruption is like a cancer. It comes in many forms. It eats at the core of society.

Seems there are too many phat pigs in the pen & everybody is so busy looking after their own interests & nobody is taking care of the collective whole.

It will NEVER change, HUMAN BEINGS are disgusting, the most destructive creature on the planet.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When we have folks like Thaksin setting standards for fairness there's no hope at all. He doesn't feel like stakeholder himself, to begin with, he is a leech. You need statesmen at the top, people who put country's interests above their own, true patriots, and I don't know if any exist outside traditional elites and top military guys like Prem and Sorayud. Every one else just wants to have a good time at the expense of others.

I doubt guys you mentioned did not reach beyond their army/state salary (quick Google search proves it).

They probably have, if speaking in absolute terms. The practicality demands relative comparisons and you can't even put Thaksin and Surayud/Prem appetitites on the same scale.

The danger with unselfish, benevolent statesmen is that they get drunk with power over time, and start to equate themselves with the state. It's not only money that corrupts and makes people bend the rules.

Surayud resigned as soon as his mission was accomplished and I don't believe in Prem's personal involvment in politics, he's too old and fragile to pull the strings as reds have alleged.

What makes a true democracy is checks & balances -- it's not so much the ability to *elect* a leader (Hitler and W were both elected), but the ability for voters to kick one out of office when he proves incompetent. Same with corruption -- it will always exist, but elements of the system should keep each other in check. It always takes a fair number of honest and brave people for this, but they are not sufficient -- framework must allow and encourage them to do things right. The survey indicates that in Thailand this is not the case -- corruption-fighters won't get much moral statisfaction or popular approval in Thai society.

Emphasis mine.

With red leaders or Thaksin himself you can't expect ANY accountability. No comparison to Surayud/Democrats there.

Published: 28/06/2009 at 12:02 PM

A latest survey reveals that many Thai people would accept a crooked government if it can make the country prosper and raise their standard of living.

is that not valid for everybody ?

Pay 5% additional to a government and get 15 % increase additional yourself ?

I have no problem to pay 50% if a government increases my purchasing power with 200 %

As long as my CIVIL rights are secured.

But it chances, when the question is: are you willing to pay 5% to a corrupt government yoiu get nothing in return..

Happened same .. like Mussolini, Hitler, Lenin, Mao, Cuba, Lybia, Zimbabwe, Iran: we prove you will get an increase in life .. but after a few years, when we have built up our suppression militia, pity you.. we do not leve power, even when we have to kill on massive scale

I have never been in any kind of survey even though whenever I see a survey people I jump in. I have to say I am in the minority here.

But I'm not surprised with the poll however. It has nothing to do with knowledge or education either. Most of my friends who are college grads, some even from the states or the UK, would be OK with corrupted government as well. Some even want a hand in it...

How can we change it? No idea. We like to gamble. We like quick money. Too bad we separate morality to earning a living.

I'm Thai, by the way.

Thais ok with corrupted government

By: BangkokPost.com

A latest survey reveals that many Thai people would accept a crooked government if it can make the country prosper and raise their standard of living.

The Abac Poll Research Centre conducted a survey on people's well-being, involving 1,228 households in 17 provinces nationwide.

84.5 per cent viewed that corruption in businesses would not be unusual and 51.2 per cent said they would tolerate a corrupted government if it can improve the country and their well-being.

That is all they know. It is sad.

postlogo.jpg

-- Bangkok Post 2009/06/28

Edited by Mario2008: lines removed to comply with BangkokPost qouting rules. Story continues here: http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/local/1473...pted-government

many Thai's would accept a corrupt government because corruption itself is so widespread and acceptable.

generally corruption is endemic. It's just practiced to varying degrees and on varying scales. Lip service

We have building/shops like Tuk.com selling pirate software and cd's. This is a fixed shop (not a street seller), so could be cleaned up in a blink if battling piracy was really serious.

Given a chance gambling is as widespread as is corruption. It's part of everyday life. Corruption and piracy is NEVER seriously addressed other than for publicity or political lip service.

It's not necessarily only the scale and frequency of corruption, but the tacit acceptance of it in daily life - as against for instance the public outrage at UK MP's expenses - and the lack of real sincere efforts to address it in a meaningfull and determined way. As the article states most Thai's would accept it..........

Edited by twix38

many Thai's would accept a corrupt government because corruption itself is so widespread and acceptable.

generally corruption is endemic. It's just practiced to varying degrees and on varying scales. Lip service

We have building/shops like Tuk.com selling pirate software and cd's. This is a fixed shop (not a street seller), so could be cleaned up in a blink if battling piracy was really serious.

Given a chance gambling is as widespread as is corruption. It's part of everyday life. Corruption and piracy is NEVER seriously addressed other than for publicity or political lip service.

It's not necessarily only the scale and frequency of corruption, but the tacit acceptance of it in daily life - as against for instance the public outrage at UK MP's expenses - and the lack of real sincere efforts to address it in a meaningful and determined way. As the article states most Thai's would accept it..........

Totally accurate..........it is everywhere you look.......it is accepted as a cultural norm.........and it is taught to children (parents and other role models teach children by their behavior).

I think any person outside of the immediately family becomes a target for corruption. And, farangs are really "outside" and end up being a prime target for corruption.

Too many people are living in the "me, me, me present." They don't care about the past or the future. Their decision-making and behaviors are all centered on what they can get now.

Widespread corruption of this sort obviously makes mockery out of the rule of law. It also harms tourism. It also harms foreign investment.

Some people do win......that much is obvious. But I think the larger public loses as a result of accepting corruption as a way of life.

One wonders about the nature of the morality base that Thai society is built on. Surely Buddhism does not, in any way, accept corruption as something "good."

Thai society has lost its way..........but, I suppose that is becoming true for most societies today.

Thais are naturally laid back and blasé. That is why corruption works so well in this country.
I remember seeing a similar survey a few years ago and some of the quotes stuck in my mind. Basically the Thais quoted said corruption was normal and part of the culture. They suggested "Why else would someone want to be in the government (if there wasn't tea money to be made)?

I have had a number of conversations on this topics and the Thais I have spoken with just can't understand what we get so worked up about.

:D The reason the Thai's think like that is because 3/4 of this country are uneducated !!!

Educate the people and they wouldn't think like THAT !!!!!! Good luck

The government wants to keep the people stupid it's a lot easier to lie and cheat them !!! :)

The level of corruption here may or may not be significantly greater than in the West, but what is missing are effective mechanisms for dealing with corruption. Cultural acceptance of the problem inevitably slows the pace of reform. So it boils down to a race against time. Will education prevail before the country realises too late it is part of a twenty first century global economy and waves frantically in the air as it sinks down the toilet? Answers on a postcard, please...

Thais ok with corrupted government

By: BangkokPost.com

The Abac Poll Research Centre conducted a survey on people's well-being, involving 1,228 households in 17 provinces nationwide.

84.5 per cent viewed that corruption in businesses would not be unusual and 51.2 per cent said they would tolerate a corrupted government if it can improve the country and their well-being.

postlogo.jpg

-- Bangkok Post 2009/06/28

Edited by Mario2008: lines removed to comply with BangkokPost qouting rules. Story continues here: http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/local/1473...pted-government

Sorry did I miss something? Would accept?? They have for decades accepted a corrupt Goverment, corrupt Police, corrupt Officials, corrupt legal system and just about every thing else that can scam and take money in a corrupt country.

The level of corruption here may or may not be significantly greater than in the West, but what is missing are effective mechanisms for dealing with corruption. Cultural acceptance of the problem inevitably slows the pace of reform. So it boils down to a race against time. Will education prevail before the country realises too late it is part of a twenty first century global economy and waves frantically in the air as it sinks down the toilet? Answers on a postcard, please...

No...can't agree. There is no way the level of corruption is near the West. Thailand is far far worse. No comparison.

Try and bribe a copper in the Uk....a guard here in Ireland ....a policeman in Europe and you WILL end up in habdcuffs. But then they apply the law openly and you have recourse in a, more or less, fair court system. Try to get to a judge??....geez, forget it!!! The States....Canada...Austrailia/NZ,(included as it is a western couintry)? No way is corruption endemic here.

Ok...ok. Yes we have our tribunals here in Ireland to investigate corruption in the planning process. And corruption they did find. The lawyers and barristers have (in my view, totally dishonestly) soaked over a BILLION euro from the Irish taxpayer to drag this on for years...yes, years. To find out what the dogs in the street knew. . It did happen here years ago....but to all intents it has stopped.

Eastern Europe is another matter entirely. Corruption is rife.

Too many people are living in the "me, me, me present." They don't care about the past or the future. Their decision-making and behaviors are all centered on what they can get now.

This is the whole wrong doing of the current generation :)

This is the whole wrong doing of the current generation :)

Come on, this been here forever and is a part of life and will not change in our life time.

Equality and a decent living wage may change the attitude.

Try to live on a low policeman salary and I would have my hand out too.

Why does the government hate Thaksin? The answer is quite simple. He is smarter than the rest of the thieves. He shortened the BIG feed trough and gave that money to the farmers. The other thieves were NOT smart enough to share any of the spoils. The elite refuse to give the farmers anything. This government could make the farmers forget Thaksin if they would share a few crumbs. That's not going to happen.

Yes, and now the current government have to pick up the tap for that. Paying the farmers an guaranteed price way for their crops way over the market price is also corruption my friend. and the rest of the country is paying that bill, and that's only one example of many.

Every day some corpses falling out of the cupboard. this government inherited a financial mess. And all of this above the economic worldwide crisis. Or is the debacle of Thai airways also their fault, or the bus contract, paying back the IMF by making an more expensive new loan with his Singaporean friends, do I really have to go on?

Thaksin robbed the country on an unseen scale. His governments where an financial disaster for the country. He just spend money that the future generations had to pay back.

Its seems that not only the farmers of Isan and North have no clue about the bandistism of Thaksin but also many contributors of this forum; or are they just parroting their Isan neighbours or family?

You bet they have, If every stopped doing things for a month, just protest, you watch what happen!

Most people in Thailand are poor and don't have that choice.

All the more reason to do something about it and get a choice. Nothing to loose and everything to gain. Ever heard of Robbin Hood? :)

Why does the government hate Thaksin? The answer is quite simple. He is smarter than the rest of the thieves. He shortened the BIG feed trough and gave that money to the farmers. The other thieves were NOT smart enough to share any of the spoils. The elite refuse to give the farmers anything. This government could make the farmers forget Thaksin if they would share a few crumbs. That's not going to happen.

Yes, and now the current government have to pick up the tap for that. Paying the farmers an guaranteed price way for their crops way over the market price is also corruption my friend. and the rest of the country is paying that bill, and that's only one example of many.

Every day some corpses falling out of the cupboard. this government inherited a financial mess. And all of this above the economic worldwide crisis. Or is the debacle of Thai airways also their fault, or the bus contract, paying back the IMF by making an more expensive new loan with his Singaporean friends, do I really have to go on?

Thaksin robbed the country on an unseen scale. His governments where an financial disaster for the country. He just spend money that the future generations had to pay back.

Its seems that not only the farmers of Isan and North have no clue about the bandistism of Thaksin but also many contributors of this forum; or are they just parroting their Isan neighbours or family?

POOR GUY. The bloody Junta'd surely appreciated your attempt here. ^^

You bet they have, If every stopped doing things for a month, just protest, you watch what happen!

All the more reason to do something about it and get a choice. Nothing to loose and everything to gain. Ever heard of Robbin Hood? :D

Don't think the goverment would like that. But I fear no other option than bloodshed for democracy and freedom. :)

All the more reason to do something about it and get a choice. Nothing to loose and everything to gain. Ever heard of Robbin Hood? :D

Don't think the goverment would like that. But I fear no other option than bloodshed for democracy and freedom. :)

Agreed. Nobody would like it but its a fact of life, unfortunately that freedom is never given :D

• 2 weeks later...
:D The reason the Thai's think like that is because 3/4 of this country are uneducated !!!

Educate the people and they wouldn't think like THAT !!!!!! Good luck

The government wants to keep the people stupid it's a lot easier to lie and cheat them !!! :)

religion is the opium of the people, remember? being highly literate does not make a dent on being eduacted. highlighted here is a valid point on how the government can keep the people stupid and easier to cheat and lie to. right on, mate. keep feeding them the opium - thailand is not short of it and neither is the golden triangle - the real thing :D:D:D that is .

( THAIS ARE QUITE A HAPPY GO-LUCKY LOT. THRY ACIEVE THAT AT THE EXPENSE OF THE POOR AND THE EDUCATION SYSTEM CONITUNOUSLY TRY TO IMPROVE THIER LOT WITHOUT MUCH SUCCESS. I WONDER WHY? TOO MUCH EDUCATION BASED ON THE RELIGION OR WHAT? SUCH EDUCATIONAL BARAGES LIKE THOSE OF THE DAYS OF THE SANGUINAL CONQUISTADORS BASED ON THE CATHOLIC RELIGION OR THE CHRITAIN CRUSADES? WHICH IS WHICH THAT THAIS NOW ARE BLIND TO THE FUNDAMENTALS OF EVERY RELIGION THAT TEACHES GOOD?) please help explain this urban dilemna. anyone?

the golden triangle made some serious american herione dealers in the 70's and 80's when it had it's golden area. the film american gangster is based on it

Yes and Farangs don't have one either :)

Yes they do, Farang can leave 99% of thai people cannot and have to live with it.

Yes and Farangs don't have one either :)

Yes they do, Farang can leave 99% of thai people cannot and have to live with it.

Yes, and then when they have a chance to go to EU with a farang, they ruin it for the money, and end up back in Thailand. The people in Thailand really live day by day. No future for-seeing at all.