Learning The Streets And Areas Of Chiang Mai

westbounder

Hi,

Since I will be moving to Chiang Mai soon, what is the best way for me to familiarize myself with the City and the sorounding area. I think it would be good to learn the City street names, sorounding highways and districts in Chiang Mai? Are there good maps available in English or is there another easier way to learn that may be online?

Thank You kindly! (I have spent 6 months in Chiang Mai in the past. I know the lay of the land but I want to learn more)

Some good advice here. Thanks for the mapJack information. I take long or short walks wherever I visit to learn how the roads connect. Not everything is set up in a grid and it's easy to lose your bearings. A GPS helps a lot if you travel further afield and you can't read the street names.

For Chiang Mai I suggest a perimeter WALK around the moat... both on the inside and outside. Each section of the moat is exactly 1.8 kilometers. Take a notebook and mark down a few street names and points of interest. You learn how the traffic flows and where the turns are. When walking you learn where the internet sites are, what markets are available and you'll always find some neat place to eat. It helps later when driving or riding a bike and you know the short cut and places to park. Once you understand how the various sois connect it makes it a lot more fun.

The other thing to learn is that on some weekends they shut down certain roads for an open street market. That can be a REAL pain if you want to go between point A and point B, and forget about the market closing the street.

Even when traveling further than you can walk from home it's helpful to walk more and ride less. I'll take my bike to some place that's easy to park and just walk from there. That is a better solution than trying to find a place to park in the China town area.

I believe that you really have to drive a car (or motorbike, perhaps a bike, if you are a risk-taker as a newcomer not knowing the local customs of the road). The web site, www.mapjack.com is great and fun to explore even though understandably limited in coverage. but, in any case, I think it is not the best introduction to getting a sense of direction and place beyond an artificial introduction. Later, it makes some more sense.

People learn spatially in different ways, but I would not recommend walking around the moat per se. For some reason, driving around (bike or auto) seems to make people more sensitive to direction and location than "walking it." On the other hand, one certainly sees the passing pageant in a much more intimate way.

Just remember, if you have your compass directions in order, Doi Suthep (the most obvious close mountain) is on the west. You can see it most of the time (except for entirely too many smog-filled days in late-February - early April).

In the end, whatever directional sense you might have, it still has only limited power here. Within the city or in the outskirts, what you have to do is develop your sense of landmarks and distance traveled. Compass directions don't help a lot with the twists and turns of a 700-year-old city. In the rural areas, in addition to knowing in which direction the sun sets, you'll need to have a memory of landmarks and distance traveled. There are main routes that are not so hard to learn, but they can often be no more than starting routes into goodness-knows-what warren of lanes and rural roads.

To have some real fun, learn enough Thai quickly enough to ask "locals" for directions! This is most often only for entertainment! Locals include foreigners who live here. For proof, just read several threads of ThaiVisa Chiang Mai for directions to a favorite restaurant or whatever! When it comes to giving directions, "TV" often seems to stand for "ThaiVague."

Of yes, there are a couple of good maps for different purposes. Do a search to find them. Absolutely one of the best for initial (and continuing use) is "Chiang Mai Big Map. Email: [email protected].

Edited by Mapguy

Apologize for the minor thread hijack- but is the "Big Map" still in print?

A friend showed me an old copy he purchased several years ago...and it is brilliant.

Shows detail unmatched by any other map for Chiang Mai. As in minor sois out to about the 1st ring road.

I generally use a B & B map (German company) for CM. And of course member davidgtr's Golden Triangle Riders maps for motorcycle excursions around North Thailand and Laos.

You can learn the names of the major streets however I have found over the years that the majority of people are really bad at giving directions and not many people know the names of the streets. I drove a motorcycle for 3 months that gave me a good clear view of everything around me and I learned quickly. People tend to give directions by landmarks primarily temples and gates so that is also a good thing to know. There are some good maps available according to quite a few people however I have never seen a decent map worth anything your better off pulling the one out of the phone book.

A friend showed me an old copy he purchased several years ago...and it is brilliant.

Gecko Books carries The Big Map (of Chiang Mai), the B&B Thailand North Map, the Nancy Chandler Chiang Mai map, the Golden Triangle Rider maps and others.

Avoid Tuk Tuks if you are anywhere near a normal westeners height. All you will see of the city are peoples feet and the black roof. The only exception to this is Songkran when the roofs are generally removed and the views are a revelation, all be it a very wet one!

Iain

Shows detail unmatched by any other map for Chiang Mai. As in minor sois out to about the 1st ring road.

I generally use a B & B map (German company) for CM. And of course member davidgtr's Golden Triangle Riders maps for motorcycle excursions around North Thailand and Laos.

I bought mine from UG a few months back. 2006 Edition. I'm not sure if there is a newer edition out yet.

the "Big Map" ... A friend showed me an old copy he purchased several years ago...and it is brilliant. Shows detail unmatched by any other map for Chiang Mai. As in minor sois out to about the 1st ring road.

...Here's another vote for "Big Map" as an excellent guide to learning streets and areas of Chiangmai.

When I first arrived here, it was a great help.

Still refer to it often.

...But two problems:

1) It is 3-4 years out of date.

In Chiangmai, where so many businesses come and go, that's a serious problem.

No way to solve that one, just be aware.

2) No Thai language.

So, also buy another map with Thai and English.

That way you point to the English, the driver reads the Thai, and you are on your way.

Now, one more suggestion for your learning:

Rather than spend money for the Nancy Chandler map, instead, pick up the little tourist guidebook, "Free Copy Map" (FCM).

It is a booklet, not a fold-out map, and it's free.

"Free Copy Map" shows all the main areas of Chiangmai.

Details are meticulous -- far better than any other tourist handout -- and up-dated every month.

Far better than the rough, and quickly out-dated, Nancy Chandler map.

If you are a man, and interested in the things that interest men, you'll find all you need on FCM.

You won't on Nancy Chandler's map, which studiously avoids any of that, as if it doesn't exist.

On the other hand, for females whose lives revolve around shopping, Nancy Chandler fits perfectly.

-- Oneman

Chiangmai

I bought a mountain bike and cycled everywhere for a few weeks. Thoroughly enjoyable and got my bearings very quickly.

regards Bojo

I'll second Bojo's recommendation. Also.. Join the Sunday Cycling Club at Tapae Gate about 7:30 AM every Sunday Morning. (Ride schedule at www.cmcycling.org ) They do a short ride around the city, and then a longer ride of 30-80 KM or so. You are sure to see things you would never find on your own. If you go the Mountain Bike route, you might want to buy a Forerunner Garmin GPS for it. It shows you a basic map so you can see where you have been, you can set waypoints, and if you get lost, you can follow your recorded trail back. I luckily had one, as the first few rides I got separated and totally lost except for the GPS. Riding a bike around is also a perfect way to digest how traffic works here before jumping on motorcycle or in a car.

Our Thai teacher at CMU said that local natives don't know street names in Thai, or compass bearings.

Oh so true, PeaceBlondie. Most can't even locate where they live on a map if you show it to them. I found that out the hard way many times. And, some won't understand what you are asking, but try being helpful by sending you some place that they THINK you might like. You can get terribly lost that way. A GPS is a fun piece of equipment and VERY helpful in a country where you can't read the street signs.

Lived in Nimmanhaemin for over a decade, and on Saturday decided, for the first time in months, to go for a neighbourhood walk. I came back two hours later having discovered about 15 new restaurants and bars, new art galleries, shops, and all sorts of really fun things I never notice when driving. So walking is great.

Hubby loves to walk and has found many interesting shops, attractions and restaurants by taking long, very long walks. Some Sunday mornings he's been known to walk over 15 miles throughout the city. I'm not a big walker, but I take song thaews everywhere and try to follow their route on the Big Map. I wish they'd update it. The 2006 edition is out-of-date for attractions, but at least the streets haven't changed since 2006.

It helps now that I can read some Thai and see the signs for place names. Like PeaceBlondie, my Thai language teacher doesn't recommend asking locals for directions. She says they'll just say anything "to save face". The last thing they want to do is admit they don't know where something is.

Our Thai teacher at CMU said that local natives don't know street names in Thai, or compass bearings.

That's certainly true!!! I once stopped to ask a group of three people for directions and each of the people in the group gave me a totally different answer. None of them gave me any street names or landmarks I should look for to help me on my way. I wonder why this is?

Hi,

Since I will be moving to Chiang Mai soon, what is the best way for me to familiarize myself with the City and the sorounding area. I think it would be good to learn the City street names, sorounding highways and districts in Chiang Mai? Are there good maps available in English or is there another easier way to learn that may be online?

Thank You kindly! (I have spent 6 months in Chiang Mai in the past. I know the lay of the land but I want to learn more)

Hey Its not hard to stay in Chiang Mai. People here very nice. Believe me ! :-) Enjoy your stay hereeeeeeeeeee :)

Chiang Mai people are totally different from Bangkok. Because Chiang Mai City is not big so we remember the place by 'the place' not by 'the road'. For ex, if your friend say he live near Three King Monument, we will understand and imagine the road. You should try to remember the places and it will be easier for you. :)

Chiang Mai people are totally different from Bangkok. Because Chiang Mai City is not big so we remember the place by 'the place' not by 'the road'. For ex, if your friend say he live near Three King Monument, we will understand and imagine the road. You should try to remember the places and it will be easier for you.

That's a good point and seems to be the way I get around. I've lived here for nearly 17 years but still only know a few key street names. Most my orientation is through land marks as you mention above, or just habit from traveling from place to place over a period of time. Did a lot of walking when first here, then Motorcycle now car. There was a topic in the CM forum sometime back on how to ask directions and interesting answers in it.

BTW: Welcome to the CM forum Khun Patopen. :)

Because Chiang Mai has a heart core surrounded by a moat it is easy to reference general locations. There are main gates on each side of the moat and most can be used as reference points when asking for directions. On the north is Chang Puak gate. On the east is Thai Pei gate. On the west is Suan Dok gate which leads to the main hospital just outside the moat on Suthep Road. On the south are two gates: Suan Prung and Chiang Mai gates and both will lead towards the airport.

North of the moat are the roads to Chiang Rai, Mae Rim, Fang, etc.

At the north west corner of the moat is the road to Doi Suthep, the public library and the big Kadsuan shopping mall.

West of the moat is the mountain and Doi Suthep. West of the moat are also where the university and main hospital are located.

East of the moat is the Ping River that flows from the north to the south. Between the Ping River and the moat is the Chinese market and the bar areas near Loi Kroh Road. East of the city are the roads Lamhun and Lampang. Across the Ping River and east of the moat are where the bus station and train station are located.

South west of the moat is the airport.

There are curving main highways that circle the city to stay out of the main traffic.

The first year I was in CM, I rented a motorcycle and went everywhere and got lost a lot, but always found my way by looking up at Doi Suthep and using it as a reference point. I now feel that I know how to get around the whole city better than a tuk tuk driver.........but after 10 yrs, I still don't know the names of the streets.