Carrefour Hang Dong

st11x

G'day,

Are there any alternative roads to get there without going past that one-lane mayhem that is Hang Dong market?

I am starting my journey at Big C super highway.

Or what times of the day would that that one-lane road be especially bad?

Thanks

Matt

You can take the Canal Road, and then cut across towards the Hang Dong road once you're South of Hang Dong.

Check google maps; the first time it's probably easier if you do it on the way back from Carrefour, just dive into any soi towards the West, most of them end up on the Canal Road.

When starting out at the older Big C though it's only really worth doing that detour in rush hour. At other times it's only a minor delay to crawl through Hang Dong.

The Canal Road is effectively planned to become a bypass to Sanpatong and Hang Dong. I can't wait for it to become a 6 lane highway all the way to Sanpatong..

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

G'day,

Are there any alternative roads to get there without going past that one-lane mayhem that is Hang Dong market?

I am starting my journey at Big C super highway.

Or what times of the day would that that one-lane road be especially bad?

Thanks

Matt

Agree that road is hellish, especially early mornings and from 2pm onwards. At weekends, it induces ulcers! Whenever I used to go that way I involuntarily began singing the Chris Rea song :: 'The Road to hel_l'. Must be one of the the worst bottlenecks in the province.

At the Big C junction carry on the CNX- Hang Dong road 'til you get to the Samoeng junction, turn right here and then proceed to the next major juction, turn left at the lights and you are then on the Canal road ;which is paralell to the road from hel_l.

This is a good road and relatively quiet except during the busy mornings rush and school runs. Proceed for c.3-4 miles 'til you get to a tyre shop on your left, turn left here and at the end of this road you will see a sign for Carrefoure.If you miss the tyre shop no worries , just carry on 'til you see a sign for San Patong(one of the best markets in the Province) turn left here. and at the next major junction (the Hang Dong -CNX road chuck a left). You are then returning to Chiang Mai and the Carrefoure is on your right which means doing a U turn.

It is worth the extra few miles as the supermarket is rarely crowded, good selections and friendly staff ,who alas dont speak English .

(Shame on the senior management of Carrefour, for their poor training of staff)

It is worth the extra few miles as the supermarket is rarely crowded, good selections and friendly staff ,who alas dont speak English .

(Shame on the senior management of Carrefour, for their poor training of staff)

This kind of attitude baffles me. If you live in Thailand then learn Thai - why should the staff speak English?

I agree the supermarket is one of the better ones in CM, worth the extra KM.

Scenic route would be to follow the Ping river road on the West bank until you reach the Lamphun - Sanpatong road. (this is the bridge that you need to detour off the river road to get under in a car). Turn right towards Sanpatong and you come out just south of Carrefour. Probably not too quick, say 30 minutes from Mahidol road, but little traffic and very pleasant drive. To be honest my preffered route to Lamphun as well.

Iain