Comment From A Thai - "we're Going To Get What We Deserve"

Theyreallrubbish

"I think we deserve to suffer to show us what we've done"

Was discussing the changes in Land Department policies on Thai wife's owning land and company structures owning land basically making it much harder.

Also discussing the increasing number of scams such as the King Power one discussed here.

This is a woman in her fifties who does not think that making it less attractive and more difficult for foreigners to invest and live in Thailand is a good thing.

I wonder how many other Thais look at what is happening with worries for the future as opposed to the very short term view that many take

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder how many other Thais look at what is happening with worries for the future as opposed to the very short term view that many take

Not many....The average Thai doesnt give a rats ar*e about the future, or issues which affect Farangs....

The furthest the average Thai looks into future is figuring out what time is next meal due...

Just bear in mind as the economy continues to falter and things become tighter and tighter, expect even more draconian measures to be taken, always remember in Thailand blame has to be put on someone, so Farangs are the easy target...

Edited by Soutpeel

Not many....The average Thai doesnt give a rats ar*e about the future, or issues which affect Farangs....

no, we just don't give a rats ar.se about the OP....

Protectionism doesn't work and it only hurts the country that tries it. People have too much information today and won't settle for anything less than what they already have. They don't want to lose the supply of goods they've come to rely upon. If countries start setting up protectionist policies then it is they that will suffer in the long run. Their suppliers and trading partners will meet threat with threat. If a companies source of income is threatened by protectionist policies they will shut down and move elsewhere. The result will be layoffs of local workers.

I would probably buy a home or business in Thailand if there wasn't the threat of losing it on the whim of whomever holds title to the land. As it stands now there is no way I would risk it. It's like that old saying...

"I'm not going to get married again. I'm just going to buy a home and give it to some lady who doesn't like me".

Just bear in mind as the economy continues to falter and things become tighter and tighter, expect even more draconian measures to be taken, always remember in Thailand blame has to be put on someone, so Farangs are the easy target...

It would be nice to get a viewpoint from an educated Thai with an open mind.........I wonder what they are thinking........probably only what they are taught to think by those that want to control them.

I agree that the worse things get, the greater the probability that "farangs" will be the scapegoats for everything bad in Thailand.

Now they can focus the public attention on those dreaded Cambodians........but that can only last so long.

Thailand-Titanic is going down.............hope they don't take us with them :)

When complete arrogance largely based on ignorance meets harsh reality of a 1929 type depression anything can happen. The big difference in Thailand, perhaps, that a huge segment of the population is used to and can survive on next to nothing in rural Thailand; part of the sense of being a Thai in Thailand is the abundance of "free" food albeit stuff that the average Westerner would throw up at the thought of eating. Expect loads of people to retreat back to their rural roots with the odd farang expected to fund whole villages taken along for the ride. If you are a farang not providing monetary largesse expect a good kicking! And as for rich tourists expect to be scammed every which way. Looks like the party is nearly over!

The furthest the average Thai looks into future is figuring out what time is next meal due...

"Future" - an unknown word in the Thai language... :)

The average Thai voter Khun Public, couldn’t give a hoot about Farang ex pats living in Thailand, one way or another.

We are just a white face that suddenly appears in a village, viewed more as a novelty than a threat.

Because of law restrictions placed upon ex pats here and the fact that there isn’t too many of us, Thais don’t see us as business, job and housing competitors but rather as glorified guests who will return back to Farangland eventually, even if we don’t.

In my opinion this is a good thing and feel more secure in this sort of environment where we are not necessary liked but tolerated and would hate to see Farangs given more status in Thailand and more numbers coming in, therefore spoiling the tranquillity between Thais and ex pats.

I do not believe that ex pats would ever be blamed for any economic crisis in Thailand providing the same restrictions apply and Farangs are kept at a low population.

Thailand may blame America and Europe for It`s problems, but for reasons as I said above, this will not affect Farangs as individuals living in Thailand.

Edited by sassienie

Usually when I tell Thais about visa hassles and especially the restrictions on buying land and houses, they are surprised! So overall, I agree, Somchai on the street mostly doesn't know and doesn't care. I think politicians can always use scapegoating us for political purposes though, we are a most unsavory un-Thai influence, yes?

Edited by Jingthing

It would be nice to get a viewpoint from an educated Thai with an open mind.........I wonder what they are thinking........probably only what they are taught to think by those that want to control them.

I agree that the worse things get, the greater the probability that "farangs" will be the scapegoats for everything bad in Thailand.

Now they can focus the public attention on those dreaded Cambodians........but that can only last so long.

Thailand-Titanic is going down.............hope they don't take us with them :)

There's been a huge change in Thai attitudes to foreigners since I first came here about 16 years ago. The Thai's used to be appreciative of foreign investment and aware that it was a competitive world and they had to provide attractive investment incentives. They were also eager to learn Western practices and techniques.

They seem to have become much more arrogant and take it for granted that foreigners and their money will come here no matter what they do and feel now that Thailand has nothing to learn that could improve Thailand and that foreigners have to do everything the Thai way or leave.

In my own personal view, that arrogance is a recipe for disaster in what is still a poor and backward country with most of its population poorly educated and very few businesses actually globally competitive. Particularly with the rise of China and other competitors, such as Vietnam, for the lower mid tier of the global supply chain

The global recession may make them realise that they have to compete to attract foreign money (whether through investment or through tourism) or it may reinforce the attitudes that began after 1997, when they had followed Western economic advice and it led to the crisis and the IMF advice worsened the crisis, and turn even more anti-Western.

My faith that the Thais will do the right thing comes down to them being a very pragmatic and not very ideological people at the end of the day, but blaming foreigners has been a route that has worked for politicians recently and the danger is they'll use it again to avoid the hard work needed to improve Thailand's competitiveness

If you post your concern on Thai webs. you sure will get reply from many other Thais.

i dont think there are real Thais left in Thailand :D ,

the top population is all mixed or complete chinese :) ,

so better ask a Thaichinese :D

I read that many politicians, people in the media use us as scapegoats. I cant read and my understanding of Thai is minimal, does this happen blatently?? For example....??

I did read one thing translated about some joker saying that Farang were all drug dealers and best not to marry them

Edited by james24

If you post your concern on Thai webs. you sure will get reply from many other Thais.
i dont think there are real Thais left in Thailand :D , the top population is all mixed or complete chinese :) , so better ask a Thaichinese :D

:D

OK, but the Thaichai had bought most land from the Thais, they may not want new foreigners to do the same.

Protectionism doesn't work and it only hurts the country that tries it. People have too much information today and won't settle for anything less than what they already have. They don't want to lose the supply of goods they've come to rely upon. If countries start setting up protectionist policies then it is they that will suffer in the long run. Their suppliers and trading partners will meet threat with threat. If a companies source of income is threatened by protectionist policies they will shut down and move elsewhere. The result will be layoffs of local workers.

I would probably buy a home or business in Thailand if there wasn't the threat of losing it on the whim of whomever holds title to the land. As it stands now there is no way I would risk it. It's like that old saying...

"I'm not going to get married again. I'm just going to buy a home and give it to some lady who doesn't like me".

Ian, sounds like you need to put the new Barbie doll, on your Christmas list (only 178 days to go :) ).

The doll is divorcee Barbie, she comes with Ken's house, Ken's car, Ken's bank accounts, Ken's retirement fund... :D

Just kidding, for any lady viewers.

Usually when I tell Thais about visa hassles and especially the restrictions on buying land and houses, they are surprised! So overall, I agree, Somchai on the street mostly doesn't know and doesn't care. I think politicians can always use scapegoating us for political purposes though, we are a most unsavory un-Thai influence, yes?

I'd tend to agree with this. In my experience certainly most rural Thai folks don't seem to either know much about any of the laws of Thailand, or care very much either. I would hope however, that Thai people have enough sense to differentiate between bad farangs, and good ones.

Opening up Thailand to farangs might help Thais, a minority of them anyway, but it would ruin Thailand for farangs. The whole point of living here as a farang is that there aren't many of us. Otherwise, it would be a hot and humid Helsinki or Manchester with fat white people, yuck, limping around all over the place. Oh, I shudder to think what would happen if the dam ever bursts. Not a pretty sight at all!

Other than delusions of grandeur, certain Farangs will always look to blame someone, anyone. The average Thai

does not view us as a meal ticket, per se. They have their own daily problems/lives to deal with. They dont awake

in the am, wondering who or how to beat some poor hapless Caucasian. Getting kids to school, lunches, sport,

keeping house, the marriage, relationships, spiritual needs, etc, have way more sway than does our happiness.

Their protectionism is well founded - they have seen what the monster Dollar juggernaut can do - Nam created

the modern-day Pattaya, and they are simply trying to keep what is theirs, theirs.

The 2006 HK/Thai real estate mess was simply more of the same. Wall St finally blew the doors off everything.

So who can blame them?! As I said - Delusional, at best. Para at worst.

I have always found the Thai folks to be way-more friendly & courteous than any other Asians.

BR>Jack

Other than delusions of grandeur, certain Farangs will always look to blame someone, anyone. The average Thai

does not view us as a meal ticket, per se. They have their own daily problems/lives to deal with. They dont awake

in the am, wondering who or how to beat some poor hapless Caucasian. Getting kids to school, lunches, sport,

keeping house, the marriage, relationships, spiritual needs, etc, have way more sway than does our happiness.

Their protectionism is well founded - they have seen what the monster Dollar juggernaut can do - Nam created

the modern-day Pattaya, and they are simply trying to keep what is theirs, theirs.

The 2006 HK/Thai real estate mess was simply more of the same. Wall St finally blew the doors off everything.

So who can blame them?! As I said - Delusional, at best. Para at worst.

I have always found the Thai folks to be way-more friendly & courteous than any other Asians.

BR>Jack

Kudos Jack! I think you hit the nail on the head. Some individuals write as if Thailand is the worse place to be but I happen to like it the way it is and as a Farang I deal with being a foreignor. Its the lot we have chosen so as it should be, their way or the highway.

they have seen what the monster Dollar juggernaut can do

Yet they crave the almighty $$$ above everything else. It always amazes me how easily daughters are sold into prostitution. The love of money disgusts me here. This is the country where everything is for sale.

Yet they crave the almighty $$$ above everything else. It always amazes me how easily daughters are sold into prostitution. The love of money disgusts me here. This is the country where everything is for sale.

Climb up and stagger out of the bar and run; you've spent too long in Soi Cowboy!

Time to post a strict Forum rule:

"8) Not to post extremely negative views of Thailand or derogatory comments directed towards all Thais."

We have already heard from several of our ThaiVisa Thais. Almost all my neighbors are pure Chinese; pure Thais. Not fans of the elite in BKK. Not fuge fans of farang, but tolerant.

Yet they crave the almighty $$ above everything else. It always amazes me how easily daughters are sold into prostitution. The love of money disgusts me here. This is the country where everything is for sale.

Correct, and those that dont see it dont want to,.the country is rampant with greed and jealousy,..give some of these sorts a million and they would think if you can afford one you have 2, and they would go for the other one,. :) Edited by imaneggspurt

Yet they crave the almighty $$ above everything else. It always amazes me how easily daughters are sold into prostitution. The love of money disgusts me here. This is the country where everything is for sale.

Climb up and stagger out of the bar and run; you've spent too long in Soi Cowboy!

Apart from the red light areas ask ANYONE that has had busines dealings with thais what its like,.......for retirees and those with their head in the sand life is grand,. :)

My GF ( Thai ) point of view is also that Thailand is going down the drain.

Personally I think everybody, even the goverment is just to stupid to realize, they aint changing anything. If they want to move to the future, change the law first so it will also be accesable for foreigners, the same rights as thais, what a true democracy should be. The Thais need better education themselves, and slowly their can be a change. For now nothing is really happening, only worse. Since Thais tend to think a very different way than use foreigners, which in our eyes seems not logic, what is true. But the thais will never agree with that. Slow change is the key.

Edit: A main problem is: Thais think to know they are superior and now everything very well. Very big problem.

Edited by Datsun240Z

I think the majority of Thai are more interested about what they will have on their plate tonight than in the fate of foreigners.

What is important for most of the thai is the present, the future is too far away to think about it

no, we just don't give a rats ar.se about the OP....

You beat me too it :) . We sick of hearing all this "You depend on our money" boorish rubbish.

i used prostitution as an example because most readers could probably relate to it because it is so visible in Thailand. Have you ever gone across town in a taxi at night? The city is littered with massage and shower places as well as karaoke bars.

For me I saw how greedy Thais were when i started my business. It was doomed from the beginning with greedy lawyers, suppliers, immigration, dept. of labor, (the list goes on). I tried to be legitimate and it was my undoing. Also as a foreign employee at one point you get to see that a Thai doesn't smile as much when they have to be the one giving you money rather than receiving. I have heard very few farang financial success stories in this country (apart from foreign hired expats for multinational companies). It is not that I have spent too long in Cowboy, rather I have spent too long in Thailand. I am happy to announce that I am leaving in under a months time. I don't feel comfortable staying in a place that will not respect their guests. I'll be back for visits probably on a yearly basis to visit the in laws but I doubt I will live here again anytime soon.

quick edit: i realize that I am generalizing and there are lovely people in this country, however I would never ever recommend to a foreigner to open a business here.

Edited by mrt273nva