Taxis

udon

What you've got to do is hire a driver for a nominal amount.

Nominal amount ranging from 1100 to 1500 Baht a day if they are from the BKK area.

I don't have to do that! When I leave my car at home and am in Khorat, Udon, Khon Kaen, Chiang Mai(cities with great public transport), I take motorcycle taxis, tuk tuks, and songtaew, samlors. The best way to see a new town, improve/learn Thai. Much better than hiring a driver, unless there is a group of you. Chat to the local people, unlike Bangkok people in these towns are friendly!

Apart from BKK?

I was in CM a few years ago and was surprised that a city that size had no taxis.

Will someone update me please?

There is a start of taxi service with a dozen or two metered taxi now available. Believe one red truck has to go to scrap to register each taxi. But with the cheap cost of the current share taxi (truck) service do not believe there is a huge demand; except from the rich tourists.

There are taxi's not only in every town,but most villages have their own Taxi service. If you are talking about 'Taxi-meter',they are normally indigenous to BKK,although most of the drivers own their own taxi's,so when they go to their home province they naturally drive their own cabs there. Most of the village taxi's are in the form of the tried and trusted 'Baht Bus' that you can hire for the hour or day,and leave their regular passengers standing by the roadside waiting. Most of them have no schedules and just roam around until they're full.

Most of the Towns have a fairly decent Taxi service,the only problem is finding where they go from. Railway stations the best bet. They do not have taxi offices. Just look for a car with a cardboard sticker in the window. If it doesn't say for sale the odds are it's a form of taxi. Just remember the Thais are not a great race for advertising. Advertising brings customers,customers bring work,work means no sleep,best not to advertise. :o

Can someone update the forum with the situation in Phuket regarding meter-taxis?

I know there are now meter-taxis at the airport - tucked far away on the left as you exit the building - but I rarely see them on the streets.

Any news about the PBC's "concession" with the airport authority? (Sorry I don't know what PBC stands for - maybe something like "Phuket Bus Cooperative" - but they're the people who have the minibuses and limos that swamp the airport car park and rip off the unsuspecting tourists).