Love Of Siam Dvd - Good News And Bad News

lothda

Bad news first: when you try to play your first edition Thai DVD (the one in the notebook packaging) you will probably find that it stops playing after a few chapters. It's another case of the infamous 'laser rot' that affects quite a few Thai DVDs, particularly from Happy Home Entertainment. The other editions don't seem to be affected, let's hope it stays that way.

The good news: Strand Releasing announced the US DVD. No release date yet, nor does it say if it's the Director's Cut or the standard version. It's not listed on Amazon yet, so this may be a few months away.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry about your bad experience. Please do not rely on any statements on Thai DVDs about English subtitles. Very few actually have them. You may be interested in the Taiwan DVD of Love of Siam which has English and Chinese subtitles. This is the long Director's Cut. The US version will be out later this year. Not sure which version that will be.

This may be off the subject, but...

Why does everyone consider Love of Siam a gay movie??? (This is the gay section of the forum, right?)

Sure, there is a gay plot (along with many other plots) within the movie, but that can't be the screenplay writer's main message, can it? The movie is all about love in its many, many forms, and may also be a kind of psychological study of the real star of the show - the mother! It's about her "love" for her husband, her "love" for her ghost-daughter, her "love" for her maybe-gay son... her lack of "love" for herself.

By the way, the "Siam" in the title refers to Siam Square in BKK, and not to the country.

• 2 weeks later...
This may be off the subject, but...

Why does everyone consider Love of Siam a gay movie??? (This is the gay section of the forum, right?)

Sure, there is a gay plot (along with many other plots) within the movie, but that can't be the screenplay writer's main message, can it? The movie is all about love in its many, many forms, and may also be a kind of psychological study of the real star of the show - the mother! It's about her "love" for her husband, her "love" for her ghost-daughter, her "love" for her maybe-gay son... her lack of "love" for herself.

By the way, the "Siam" in the title refers to Siam Square in BKK, and not to the country.

I have seen the movie and I agree 100% with you. It's a good movie (with good actors), because it does integrate love in its many forms. I think people consider it a gay movie because it doesn't shun away from integrating gay love in it.

I also think that's why it got picked up by the gay community: Haven't we all fallen in love with a straight guy at highschool? If he hasn't kissed us, wouldn't we have wished he did? If he did, and then told us "I think we should just be friends", wasn't that the most hurtful sentence we had ever heard? The movie is just so close to home.

• 1 month later...
Bad news first: when you try to play your first edition Thai DVD (the one in the notebook packaging) you will probably find that it stops playing after a few chapters. It's another case of the infamous 'laser rot' that affects quite a few Thai DVDs, particularly from Happy Home Entertainment. The other editions don't seem to be affected, let's hope it stays that way.

The good news: Strand Releasing announced the US DVD. No release date yet, nor does it say if it's the Director's Cut or the standard version. It's not listed on Amazon yet, so this may be a few months away.

FYI- The USA version was released this week..I am pretty certain it is the standard version as the Director's Cut here was not shown with sub-titles