Clemency Bid For Thaksin Shinawatra

webfact

In Thailand admitting guilt is always the precursor to lenient treatment. Admitting murder means no death penalty. Confessing to lesser crimes result in smaller, halved or even suspended sentences. It is also the precursor for a pardon. Infact that is not limited to Thailand. In many countries a pardon requires admission of ones culpability. A Pardon also occurs after a conviction.

Thaksin and his red shirt cult (after the birthday announcement Jaran has outed that it is a cult and not a politcal movement) are basically looking for a complete win to clear master and return him to power regardless of what that costs the country.

I will add that I dont think the other side should go for a complete win either as that will also cost the country but quite frankly to politically return someone as divisive as Thaksin is insane in a country that is divided regionally. Sadly the days of consensus politcs seem to be over. That is also true of places outside Thailand but that is another issue.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Royal pardon campaign slammed by PM, senators

By The Nation

Published on July 4, 2009

A signature campaign by the red shirts to seek a royal pardon for fugitive ex-premier Thaksin Shinawatra came under fire yesterday, including strong criticism from the prime minister.

A group of senators, the outspoken Atibodhi brothers and PM Abhisit Vejjajiva separately assailed the drive to collect 1 million signatures within a month.

Abhisit said politics should be kept away from the monarchy and he deemed the signature campaign inappropriate in politicising the revered institution.

"The petition for a royal pardon should be initiated by Thaksin or his family as a show of remorse. It should not be turned into a political issue with a great number of people being cited in order to influence royal discretion," he said, in reference to the campaign to solicit 1 million signatures.

He said he would instruct authorities to explain the royal-pardon procedures to the public, in order to dispel misunderstanding that the red shirts can sponsor the petition on Thaksin's behalf.

Meanwhile, Kaewsan Atibodhi, a former member of the Assets Examination Committee, and his brother Kwansuang Atibodhi, who is a university lecturer, held a press conference yesterday to call on the red shirts to stop the signature campaign.

The Atibodhis said the campaign would discomfort the monarchy. As far as they are concerned, such a pardon could not be granted because it would be unconstitutional.

"This is a political marketing strategy to gather signatures to pressure the [highest] institution," Kaewsan said.

A group of senators also called a press conference criticising the signature campaign, which kicked off on Wednesday.

Somchai Sawaengkan, a member of the upper house, described the campaign as propaganda that would "never lead to reconciliation as advertised". He added that such a move would instead cause uneasiness for His Majesty the King.

Senator Rosana Tositrakul called on the red shirts to end the signature campaign and stop involving the monarchy in politics. She expressed suspicion over the drive, saying she "smelled something fishy".

Prasan Marukkapithak, an appointed senator, called on members of the general public who disagree with the signature campaign to express their views publicly and peacefully.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009/04/07

CLEMENCY BID FOR THAKSIN

Reds hunt a million signatures this month

By The Nation

Published on July 2, 2009

But Democrats say petition improper, opposed by public

The red shirts yesterday set a target to gather one million signatures within a month to petition His Majesty the King to pardon ex-premier Thaksin Shinawatra.

Veera Musigapong, one of the red-shirt leaders, said the petition plan would be scrapped if his group could not gather enough support in one month.

He and other leaders of the Democratic Alliance Against Dictatorship (DAAD) called a press conference yesterday to discuss the plan to gather a million signatures in support of a request for Royal clemency for Thaksin.

Forms for the signature campaign would be distributed to the public today, he said.

Veera said Thaksin phoned in during the red-shirt rally last Saturday and complained about being homesick, lonely and wanting his supporters to help him return to the country.

"If we can help him come back and solve economic problems facing the country, it would good for the people,'' he said.

Nattawut Saikua, another DAAD leader, said Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva should be ashamed that Veera rejected his invitation to join his weekly talk show, but the PM still tried to invite other red-shirt leaders to go on the programme.

"All the red shirts don't want to help boost the ratings of Abhisit's programme because they still remember how they were treated by the Abhisit government and the clash with the blue shirts [in Pattaya],'' he said.

Meanwhile, Democrat Party spokesman Dr Buranaj Smutharaks warned the red shirts the move to seek Royal clemency risked deepening divisions in the country. He said his party believed the move was not a desire of the public but simply Thaksin's wish.

"We believe most people in the country want to see Thaksin repent but we have not heard him admit that he was wrong."

He said the red shirts could not say that the public wanted a Royal pardon for Thaksin since Veera and Thaksin's legal adviser Noppadon Pattama were the ones came up with the idea.

"They are using mass support to pressure the institution that is above politics,'' he said.

Buranaj said authorities would have to keep a watch on the red shirts as Thaksin's phone-in indicated he wanted to bring down the government within three months.

"They did it during the Songkran riots and now they have shown intention to do the same thing by using mass support to pressure the government,'' he said.

Deputy Prime Minister Suthep Thaugsuban said if Thaksin instigated his supporters to try to topple the government as urged in his phone-in, he would be charged with breaking the law.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009/02/07

Thaksin can kiss my big as…..s

This is the guy orchestrated the red shirt violence and also he made sure his family are not here before the violence started.

He deserve jail time in the third world countries

If you wear a red shirt in Thailand you will be call " A RETARD" :)

I can't see anything wrong with red shirt, As a metter of fact I am wearing it right now :D in support of Taksin of course :D

If you wear a red shirt in Thailand you will be call " A RETARD" :)

I can't see anything wrong with red shirt, As a metter of fact I am wearing it right now :D in support of Taksin of course :D

Is that King Taksin the Great (put to death for megalomania) or Would-Be-King Thaksin the Pitiful? :D

Yawn......worse than Lawn Tennis this saga.....

keeps the Ambulance-chasers, etc busy and employed.....IMHO....

MOVE Along.....Nothin' to See Here....really!

Snuffle...yawn (repeat)...

rgdz, etc

Burin Kantabura doesn't always get it right but he hit bulls eyes in the past week. His letters to the local papers said it far, far better than I ever could:

"If the pressure works and a petition is granted, Thaksin Shinawatra and the reds win. If it fails, the petitioners stand a good chance of feeling less affection for the monarchy and more sympathy for Thaksin: once again the fugitive former PM and his red-shirted supporters win"

And regarding Red-shirt co-leader Veera's refusing PM Abhist's invite to share time on the PM's talk show:

"Red shirt leader Veera Musikhapong refuses to meet PM Abhisit face-to-face on live TV. Surely, if Mr Veera believed in ''true democracy'', as claimed, he'd grab at the chance to show PM Abhisit to be incompetent, having double standards, etc"

And finally:

"PM Abhisit was chosen by the same set of MPs that chose two prior governments and by the same constitutional procedures.If the current government is illegitimate, why didn't the red shirts march against, say, PM Samak? As things stand, it seems to me that Mr Veera fears any truths that might be revealed in a face-to-face debate, and prefers to speak where those being attacked have no easy way of rebuttal"

Edited by baht&sold

Anyone know where he actually is now?

Unfortunately that information is on a 'need to know' basis only.

In case of emergency, please contact any Puea Thai MP/Red leaders, immediate family (or vested cronies) Kwanchai, or if all else fails, Jonathan Head (wherever)

Anyone know where he actually is now?

Unfortunately that information is on a 'need to know' basis only.

In case of emergency, please contact any Puea Thai MP/Red leaders, immediate family (or vested cronies) Kwanchai, or if all else fails, Jonathan Head (wherever)

Did you ever think about his wife :) ?

Did you ever think about his wife ?

Can hardly believe I'm replying to 'datsun240z' but assuming you're not referring to Mr Thaksin's ex-wife, then actually and emphatically yes. Further, one sincerely wishes an otherwise very fine reporter and his family a happy future, hopefully in Thailand.

Edited by baht&sold

Burin Kantabura doesn't always get it right but he hit bulls eyes in the past week. His letters to the local papers said it far, far better than I ever could:

"If the pressure works and a petition is granted, Thaksin Shinawatra and the reds win. If it fails, the petitioners stand a good chance of feeling less affection for the monarchy and more sympathy for Thaksin: once again the fugitive former PM and his red-shirted supporters win"

And regarding Red-shirt co-leader Veera's refusing PM Abhist's invite to share time on the PM's talk show:

"Red shirt leader Veera Musikhapong refuses to meet PM Abhisit face-to-face on live TV. Surely, if Mr Veera believed in ''true democracy'', as claimed, he'd grab at the chance to show PM Abhisit to be incompetent, having double standards, etc"

And finally:

"PM Abhisit was chosen by the same set of MPs that chose two prior governments and by the same constitutional procedures.If the current government is illegitimate, why didn't the red shirts march against, say, PM Samak? As things stand, it seems to me that Mr Veera fears any truths that might be revealed in a face-to-face debate, and prefers to speak where those being attacked have no easy way of rebuttal"

Face to face meeting not gonna happen, not the kind of person for that, nor to lead the redshirts.

And finally:

He does have a better insight than most and would be a good additon to the usual analysts who are at best mediocre.

And finally:

Face to face meeting not gonna happen, not the kind of person for that, nor to lead the redshirts.

Kuhn Burin is not always 100%, but he sees clearer than many.

He is on my short list of people I would want at a good sized dinner party.

"If we can help him come back and solve economic problems facing the country, it would good for the people,'' he said.

does anyone know what laws of economics , rules and regulations need to be changed/manipulated and who needs to be bribed to make this fantasy come true ?

Laws, rules regulations? Thailand doesn't constrict itself that much! :)

The signatures alone will not be enough, you can be sure the reds shirts will organise a big rally to coincide with handing over the signatures. Then I would like journalists from every paper and TV station to choose red shirts at random and ask them what Thaksin was found guilty of regarding Ratchadapisek and what are the other charges facing him.

I'm sure few can answer the questions.

If these questions are too difficult for them perhaps they could be put in a multiple choice format.

Mr Weera was too afraid to go on air with Aphisit, Thaksin too, pathetic cowards the lot.

And now the 'Love Chiang Mai' thugs have been threatening a hospital. What ignorant idiots!

Just was thinking of a fictional conversation...

Q: "do ya want to earn some easy money?" -

A: "how?" -

A: "sign here!" -

Q: "how much?"

A: "500 Baht"

Q: "can I bring my friends too...?"

...... :)

Edited by webfact

My wife's brother in law was trying to get her to sign the petition to pardon Thaksin. She very adamantly refused. I asked her why she wouldn't sign and she said that Thaksin was no good. I asked her about Abhisit and she said he was no good too. Her words were that all politicians EAT, EAT, EAT! Eat meaning to steal.

Senators Seek Info on Royal Pardon

A group of 40 Senators have submitted a request to the Royal Household Bureau for information on royal pardoning, hoping to provide clarity to the public on efforts by supporters of ousted premier Thaksin Shinawatra to seek a royal clemency for him.

Senators Kamnoon Sitthisamarn, Warin Tiemjaras, and Sumol Sutawiriyawat, representing the group of 40 Senators, held a press conference after submitting a request to the the Royal Household Bureau asking it to explain the process of seeking a Royal Pardon.

They hope this will help enlighten the public so supporters of fugitive former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra can make a correct decision on whether to sign a petition to seek a Royal Pardon for him or not.

The campaign is being organized by the red-shirt Truth Today group under Veera Musikapong.

Many law experts have pointed out the move is illegal since those eligible to seek a Royal Pardon must be serving their jail terms or are the prisoners' close relatives.

Political analysts have slammed the move, saying it is not right to pressure the Monarchy to get involved in politics.

At the press conference, Senator Sumol called on the government to issue a law to penalize those who offend the Monarchy and strictly enforce it.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2009-07-10

Edited by sriracha john

From The Nation article:

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2009/07/11...cs_30107152.php

Meanwhile, a signature campaign seeking a Royal Pardon on Thaksin's behalf appears to have stalled after authorities said the move was unprecedented and contrary to the law.

The Corrections Department, the primary agency in charge of processing pardon petitions, yesterday released a report saying the Criminal Procedural Code was clear on the issue.

A convicted offender must comply with the verdict and serve time before becoming eligible for a Royal Pardon.

In Thaksin's case, he is a fugitive who fled the country, and his graft verdict was read in absentia.

Articles 259 and 260 of the code make it clear Thaksin has no grounds for a pardon unless he decides to surrender himself and begin serving his two-year prison term.

In the wake of the department's report, the Justice Ministry is planning to raise public awareness about the prescribed procedures for a pardon, in order to clear up misunderstandings about the signature campaign that has been fuelling the red shirts.

A group of three Senators led by Kamnoon Sitthisamarn issued a statement urging the Office of His Majesty's Principal Private Secretary to clarify procedures for seeking a Royal Pardon, to dispel confusion.

Kamnoon said clarification from the Royal Palace would help the public judge the appropriateness of a signature campaign.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009-07-11

Even Thai media outlets normally close to PTP and that side are starting to distance from this little manouver.

The Nation article if accurate makes it clear what any clarification would be in actuality. Whether the bureau of the Palace would actually itself issue such a clarification though must remain moot as even if completely factual would be stepping into a politcal play

My wife's brother in law was trying to get her to sign the petition to pardon Thaksin. She very adamantly refused. I asked her why she wouldn't sign

I wouldn't have been asking the wife why she wouldn't sign Gary, i would have been asking the brother-in-law whether Thaksin, or for that matter anyone else, would be going around trying to get people to sign a petition were he to have broken the law?

Last evening there was a truck making the grand annoucement to get more people to sign the petition in the open market (ChiangMai area)

All sweet talk and praises for those hawkers. There was even an appointed hawker in-charge for others to hand in their 3 pages of petition. :)

Pleading with the general poor. A hero needs to come home. :D

49699.jpg

CONVICTED: Thaksin

Doubts cast on pardon request for Thaksin

The anti-government red shirt group should think twice before gathering signatures to request a Royal Pardon for convicted former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, says Privy Councillor Gen Pichitr Kullavanijaya. He was commenting on the United Front for Democracy against Dictatorship's (UDD) campaign to collect one million signatures to push for a Royal Pardon.

The former prime minister was convicted by the Supreme Court's Criminal Division for Holders of Political Positions and given a two-year jail term for helping his former wife, Potjaman Damapong, buy a prime piece of land on Ratchadaphisek Road at a low price while he was prime minister.

"They can decide for themselves if it is appropriate. In Thailand, we have the executive, legislative and judicial branches. Procedures should be observed," he said. Gen Chettha Thanajaro, an Adviser to the opposition Puea Thai Party, said yesterday the UDD had the right to seek a Royal Pardon, but whether or not the move was appropriate was another matter.

Continued:

postlogo.jpg

-- Bangkok Post 2009-07-12

49699.jpg

CONVICTED: Thaksin

Doubts cast on pardon request for Thaksin

The anti-government red shirt group should think twice before gathering signatures to request a Royal Pardon for convicted former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, says Privy Councillor Gen Pichitr Kullavanijaya. He was commenting on the United Front for Democracy against Dictatorship's (UDD) campaign to collect one million signatures to push for a Royal Pardon.

The former prime minister was convicted by the Supreme Court's Criminal Division for Holders of Political Positions and given a two-year jail term for helping his former wife, Potjaman Damapong, buy a prime piece of land on Ratchadaphisek Road at a low price while he was prime minister.

"They can decide for themselves if it is appropriate. In Thailand, we have the executive, legislative and judicial branches. Procedures should be observed," he said. Gen Chettha Thanajaro, an Adviser to the opposition Puea Thai Party, said yesterday the UDD had the right to seek a Royal Pardon, but whether or not the move was appropriate was another matter.

Continued:

postlogo.jpg

-- Bangkok Post 2009-07-12

sometimes it takes a little longer until you understand something...

Its obvious that this governments obsession with Thaksin distracts them from functioning as a government. Why not just highlight the important part of the last two articles quoted, says Privy Councillor Gen Pichitr Kullavanijaya and the Justice Ministry is planning . sriracha john is as usual finding whatever news support his distorted world view, and man, its not hard to find information posted from the ministry of misinformation these days.

Where did the charter amendments go? The promises for new elections? Not so keen on them anymore with the slight showstoppers in the by-elections? Maybe the democrats can forget their 90% votes in southern thailand now that they've proven they cant do any good there? Loosing the MPs from that region would hurt more then a PT victory in the north-east...