Interview With Phuket Tuk-tuk Mafia Boss

By the way, maybe a mountain bike for hire business would do a roaring trade.

Nice thing about this country, there's always an optimist, without them there would be only 1/4 of the present bars. Yeah, looks good on the surface, Tried it 10 years ago in far better times at Mike's Bikes. You wouldn't believe what problems the punters will cause. They even ask is it air conditioned and are you allowed to smoke !! To deal with idiots I think it helps to be one yourself. Go buy 10 bikes and find out. Good Luck !!!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Prices in Phuket bend both ways - while tuk-tuks maybe rather expensive, car and motorbike hire is extremely cheap compared to other countries in SEA.

Not the point though, is it. Everywhere else in Thailand it's easy to find cheap metered taxis. These guys are not letting us have this option in Phuket. It's a problem.

Where else other than Bangkok and its surroundings? Certainly not in Pattaya or Chiang Mai ...

Prices in Phuket bend both ways - while tuk-tuks maybe rather expensive, car and motorbike hire is extremely cheap compared to other countries in SEA.

Not the point though, is it. Everywhere else in Thailand it's easy to find cheap metered taxis. These guys are not letting us have this option in Phuket. It's a problem.

Where else other than Bangkok and its surroundings? Certainly not in Pattaya or Chiang Mai ...

Or Hua Hin

No different to anywhere else in the west.

Most taxi associations are highly regulated (formally & informally), forcing up prices higher than they probably need to be. All we are talking about is another fish in another pond.

I've never quite figured out why, but wherever you go in the world, taxi's, tend to be highly regulated by government (at the behest of the industry) or by the industry themselves. Whatever the case, there is only one loser, the consumer.

BKK seems to be one of the only places where the taxi market is more or less de-regulated. The pro is that fares are dirt cheap. The con is that taxi's can be old and decrepid (though this is less and less) and that they clog BKK streets and roads. But, they do serve a purpose.

And it ain't all beer and skittles. Portions of the Melbourne tax market are being investigated for uncompetitive behaviour, which even for Australia, is a big step. http://business.theage.com.au/business/cab...90626-d00o.html

I don't read the interview as all that bad. 400 bht for approx. 8km is still cheaper than in most western countries and at least one doesn't have to worry about whether the driver moonlights as a terrorist. Why are people complaining about the fare? Is there a rule written somewhere that because this is Thailand everything must be cheap? In my homeland theairport taxiride of 10km into the city is approx. 1200bht plus tip and watch out if you don't tip. When I land in Phuket, the metered taxi is only 400-500 baht into Patong and it's a significantly further distance. The same 8km karon-Patong route in my home city would cost me around 500 baht + tip. So really, how can I complain?

I agree there should be a posted fare schedule and metered options, but it will not happen anytime soon, because there is no leverage to force the change. It's not as if the locals are asking for the change and the tuk tuks are not keeping tourists away. The tourists still come because you can get a decent plate of food for 100baht and a cheap room compared to elsewhere etc..

The head of the association is trying to bring about positive change one step at a time. Instead of peeing all over him, he is to be commended. He has an education. Is that some sort of crime? I have the feeling he's trying to bring about change but understands what he is dealing with. At least in Karon, there is some change being attempted. patong is a mess and that's the palce where change is needed most.

Most taxi associations are highly regulated (formally & informally), forcing up prices higher than they probably need to be. All we are talking about is another fish in another pond.

Bangkok taxis ARE regulated by the government. They are obligated to use meters and USUALLY do. Their meter rates are SET by the government.

Bangkok taxis thus are among the best deals in the world for urban taxis. It wasn't always this way. Before the meters were regulated, it was the wild wild east just like Phuket, which is probably the biggest taxi ripoff situation in the country.

The non-Bangkok taxis are a kind of organized crime sometimes called a MAFIA.

You have got the reality exactly BACKWARDS.

People who say get a car or bike, you do not get it.

On the car and bike forums, have you EVER heard someone say RIDE THE BUS when people complain about problems with roads, cops, etc.?

Both public and private transport options have great room for improvement, but both systems are necessary.

Bangkok taxis show it IS POSSIBLE for transport to improve in Thailand, at least theoretically. Bangkok with its skytrain, subway, and fantastic taxi meters is the shining star example.

Edited by Jingthing

I don't read the interview as all that bad. 400 bht for approx. 8km is still cheaper than in most western countries and at least one doesn't have to worry about whether the driver moonlights as a terrorist. Why are people complaining about the fare? Is there a rule written somewhere that because this is Thailand everything must be cheap? In my homeland theairport taxiride of 10km into the city is approx. 1200bht plus tip and watch out if you don't tip. When I land in Phuket, the metered taxi is only 400-500 baht into Patong and it's a significantly further distance. The same 8km karon-Patong route in my home city would cost me around 500 baht + tip. So really, how can I complain?

You can complain because the fare isn't double or triple the average daily wage :)

RAZZ

1.2 million for those red heaps of crap that battle up the hills at 10kph causing traffic backups?

I don't buy that rubbish for a second.

They should spend 600,000 baht on a locally made Honda or Toyota and offer a better service and save themselves 600,000 baht

Aircon and safety features like seatbelts and airbags and the cars could make it up those hills around Patong to Karon.

But that you be too logically for Thailand.

Edited by katasyd

I agree there should be a posted fare schedule and metered options, but it will not happen anytime soon, because there is no leverage to force the change. It's not as if the locals are asking for the change and the tuk tuks are not keeping tourists away. The tourists still come because you can get a decent plate of food for 100baht and a cheap room compared to elsewhere etc..

The head of the association is trying to bring about positive change one step at a time. Instead of peeing all over him, he is to be commended. He has an education. Is that some sort of crime? I have the feeling he's trying to bring about change but understands what he is dealing with. At least in Karon, there is some change being attempted. patong is a mess and that's the palce where change is needed most.

Sorry but just comparing things to "back home" is just stupid. Back home is (probably) a 1st world country and Thailand is a 3rd world tourist destination. The minimum wage in the UK is about £60 a day (10 hours) so a few km taxi ride should cost 3 or 4 times that at about £180 to £240 to compare to Phuket. Is that logical ? no and neither is the rip off Bt400.

Bangkok taxis ARE regulated by the government. They are obligated to use meters and USUALLY do. Their meter rates are SET by the government.

Bangkok taxis thus are among the best deals in the world for urban taxis. It wasn't always this way. Before the meters were regulated, it was the wild wild east just like Phuket, which is probably the biggest taxi ripoff situation in the country.

The non-Bangkok taxis are a kind of organized crime sometimes called a MAFIA.

You have got the reality exactly BACKWARDS.

People who say get a car or bike, you do not get it.

On the car and bike forums, have you EVER heard someone say RIDE THE BUS when people complain about problems with roads, cops, etc.?

Both public and private transport options have great room for improvement, but both systems are necessary.

Bangkok taxis show it IS POSSIBLE for transport to improve in Thailand, at least theoretically. Bangkok with its skytrain, subway, and fantastic taxi meters is the shining star example.

Clearly remember the days when there was no such thing as a meter.

You are right that the fares are regulated. But, I should have been clearer. In BKK there are no restrictions on the numbers of taxis allowed on the roads. Given this, fares tend to be kept low. Unlike most other places in the world, fares are kept high by restricting the number of taxi's on the roads.

you are right, BKK is the shinging light for this. The only caveat is the traffic problems they cause, but the more public transport is available, I reckon we'll find a happy balance one day.

1.2 million for those red heaps of crap that battle up the hills at 10kph causing traffic backups?

I don't buy that rubbish for a second.

They should spend 600,000 baht on a locally made Honda or Toyota and offer a better service and save themselves 600,000 baht

Aircon and safety features like seatbelts and airbags and the cars could make it up those hills around Patong to Karon.

But that you be too logically for Thailand.

Still alot of mony, I'm sure with some metal, some old minivans etc and some paint a machine shop, I can make a same tuk tuk for much much less. But than again, everybody has to make profit. :)

Edited by Datsun240Z

Taxis in BKK are generally real easy from my experience ,Metered and polite just dont get in the ones that stand around tourist areas going you you ...flag one down all is fine.

In Samui we have a regular family that we or our friends phone and we get charged a similar flat rate all over the island 200- 300 bht ! great service from real good people, have let us down once in 5 years as it was a wedding in the family! So as we missed the ferry they sent a mate round and of to the wedding party we went. :)

Tuk Tuks in Phuket, particularly the tourist areas Kata Karon Patong absolute rip off with thugs running the operation,I would rather walk then pay these sh##theads a single bht.

Mafia? There is no mafia. Transportation in many places in Thailand is controlled by the police. Anyone bucking that system would be crushed quickly. Perhaps you could call the police mafia but it would be more accurate to call them corrupt cops.

Not a resort area but taxi rates in my area are set by the city (mafia?) and costs are more.

The City of Austin regulates taxicab rates. These rates apply to all taxicab companies and all drivers. The current meter rate is $2.05 for the first 2/11 mile plus 20¢ for each additional 1/11 mile ($2.20/mile). Waiting time $25.00 per hour.

By city ordinance trips which originate at the airport are subject to a $1 surcharge. There is no additional charge for extra passengers. As many as four passengers may ride for the price of one passenger.

Please note: Drivers are independent contractors. They are not employed by a cab company; they work for themselves. Tips are at the discretion of the customer.

5 mile trip from airport would be:

Airport charge $1.00

Meter starts at 2.05

5 mile charge 11.00

Total $14.05

Convert to Baht 492 Baht

So what is the discount for the lower cost of living in Thailand? that would bring it down to about 350 Baht .....50 baht difference from the 400 baht standard rate is not so much and doesn't even consider any wait time if you so require.

I traveled to 30 countries and don't rent cars. Last time I rented a bike in Thailand, the shop tried to claim damages and held my passport ransom.

Leaving your passport as a surety is crazy, and for some countries it can result in lost or restricted passport privileges as the passport is actually government property, not yours.

Unfair charges to a credit card can usually be resolved with the credit card company, at least easier and cheaper than getting your embassy to claim your passport or paying extortion.

That's right. Remember most folks just land in Phuket, go off to the beach, spend 2 weeks and go back to their home countries. They not think of that.

If that is the case, which I strongly doubt, then they should get a hotel near the beach then there is no need for transport. A lot of people like to try different beaches/locations hence the recommendation for car hire.

Example. Karon to Patong return 800 Baht. Car hire 900 Baht and you are free to go where ever. Seems like a no brainer to me.

Cheers, Rick

Cheers, Rick

What about the few little drinks you just/maybe/might have in Patong??? And you want to go back to Kata/Karon??

What ever way you look at this the cost is extortion. Why are there NO metered taxis in Phuket?? No bus service? Simple. Intimidation and corruption.

Paying 800 baht return in a shabby smelly dangerous 3 wheeler???

Karon to/from Chalong now 400 Baht. Used to be 120-150 a few years ago.

Edited by harleyclarkey

What a great piece of journalism.

Well done to the Phuket Wan for getting the interview from the guy who, without many people realising it, touches the lives of most foreign visitors to Phuket.

Once again the rates are high compared to Bkok taxis but I cannot believe how cheap the fare is in Bkok. I really have a hard time comprehending how anyone makes any money at the fares they charge. I always try to leave a tip partly for this reason.

I'm curious why they tend to use the vehicles they use in Patong and not just buy a small Nissan car. Most of the tuk tuks appear to have two to four people and they could travel in air cond comfort. It is possible the tuk tuks cost more than one thinks as they are Japanese imports. They would more easily justify their rates in an air con car.

For instance in Puerto Vallarta all taxis are small four door Nissans. However, the rates are not cheaper than Patong.

Also why are the unions always referred to as "mafia"? Is it not possible they are just unions?

Paying 800 baht return in a shabby smelly dangerous 3 wheeler???

You're thinking of Bangkok Tuk-Tuks. In Phuket they're shabby, smelly and dangerous four wheelers.

4 wheels? :D

tuk_tuk1.jpg

How on earth can you cal that a Tuk Tuk? :) Just a minivan with seats and a roof.

Holy sh*t people! How many posters on this topic are 'tourists'? You know, work all year for a coupla weeks on a white sandy beach in Thailand or wherever. Who gives a sh*t that it costs 400bht to get to your final destination? (bet you'd pay more if it was part of a package deal to get picked up from airport) Get real. I've seen an asian 'tourist' get charged 4 quid for a can of coke in London. Welcome to us luvverly Londoners hospitality!

You're all sad, tight as*ed whingers IMHO. (OK, not all. Just the sad, tight as*ed whingers on here).

Edited by beerchang

Holy sh*t people! How many posters on this topic are 'tourists'? You know, work all year for a coupla weeks on a white sandy beach in Thailand or wherever. Who gives a sh*t that it costs 400bht to get to your final destination? (bet you'd pay more if it was part of a package deal to get picked up from airport) Get real. I've seen an asian 'tourist' get charged 4 quid for a can of coke in London. Welcome to us luvverly Londoners hospitality!

You're all sad, tight as*ed whingers IMHO. (OK, not all. Just the sad, tight as*ed whingers on here).

'Cos they're very rude, aggressive, price-gouging, have beaten up customers regularly for perceived slights and infractions, are above the law and would murder anybody who tried to set up a service in competition with them.

Enough reasons?

If you lived in or visited Phuket and had to deal with these people, you would come to the same conclusion as everybody else.

:) This whole Tuk Tuk Mafia is exactly why I would never go to Phuket. Bee there twice in my nearly ten years of living here. Phuket is an overcrowded overated tourist trap.

LL