Why So Many Ladyboys?

leftcross

This has got me thinking recently. There are so many in Thailand ... on the TV, down the street, working at the supermarket checkout etc

Why is this so particular to Thailand? Are some boys raised in a certain way to make this seem ok? If you travel across to Cambodia there are none, same in Malaysia, Laos and Burma - so why Thailand?

Can somebody Thai shed some light on this? This isn't a negative thread, I just hold a genuine curiosity why this is the case here?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe there are no more here than elsewhere, it's just that in other countries they have to keep low key about it, in Thailand nobody cares.

Same as with gays, in some countries they are discriminated against or ridiculed, maybe in Thailand there is more tolerance and acceptance so people do not have to hide what they really are.

There was a guy called Syd Barrett on here last year. He was constantly starting topics like this (and he didn't have an avatar of a nud_e man).

Topics would gradually reveal more motive like:-

"I wonder why there are so many Ladyboys"

"What is so fascinating about Ladyboys"

"Where do I find Ladyboys"

Best thing is to try not to obsess about it too much, else it will have a subliminal Freudian subconscious effect. Anyway I have to go to the toilet now for a quick ladyboy.

Wasn't obsessing about it - I just wondered that's all.

The fact is that it's so easy to do here. You can have it done in the UK but only after years of psychoanalysis (that can't be spelt right).

So here - if you are 20 years old, have the cash - a quick nip and tuck & Bobs your Auntie.

In the UK - you'd have to be a lot older & by then perhaps have grown out of the idea.

This has got me thinking recently. There are so many in Thailand ... on the TV, down the street, working at the supermarket checkout etc

Why is this so particular to Thailand? Are some boys raised in a certain way to make this seem ok? If you travel across to Cambodia there are none, same in Malaysia, Laos and Burma - so why Thailand?

Can somebody Thai shed some light on this? This isn't a negative thread, I just hold a genuine curiosity why this is the case here?

I have wondered the same thing, there is definatly more ladyboys per square mile in bangkok than anywhere else! (ahem, that I've been!)

I think its something to do with the genes here, scientific research shows that there are definate differences in the brains of transexuals, that thier brains are more simalar to the female brain that male brains.

Perhaps a mutant gene somewhere back in Thai ancestory has been passed down?

Thats my theory anyway, I'd love to know if anyone has come across any research about transexuality in Thailand??

Why has this not been redirected to www.barboys.com?

Can't spell!

you mean our new friends at www.barladies.com !

Talking about katoeys is not necessarily sexual - Leftcross? If you take this to its logical extreme, we'll be sending the boys from our Gay Forum over there, as they talk about romance issues.

At what age do they start becoming Ladyboys nowadays?- My wife showed me a photo of a 13 year old ladyboy on some website she was looking at. Didn't look half bad actually.

I'm sure that last sentence breaks so many rules and taboos, one wouldn't know where to start.

Edited by The_Eye_Of_Sauron

maybe in Thailand there is more tolerance and acceptance so people do not have to hide what they really are.

I can't believe you typed that or was it meant to be funny ?

Made me laugh

I actually agree with Dr John on this. These things happen when he's being nice and not slagging off every farung in Thailand. :o

cv

maybe in Thailand there is more tolerance and acceptance so people do not have to hide what they really are.

I can't believe you typed that or was it meant to be funny ?

Made me laugh

Why would it be funny?

When I was in Uk many years ago some transvestite walked into the pub and was promptly kicked out by the landlord, he done no wrong, he just did not fit in with the status quo, and everybody was barracking the guy. I have witnessed gay people being harassed by yobs also in UK high streets, I have never witnessed this in Thailand

So why the surprise, you think Thailand is intolerant and transvestites get a bad deal here compared with a place like UK?

You must know a different Thailand to the one I know.

Edited by Doctor John

I don't think there are less or more gays here than abroad. Here they can openly dress like a woman. Abroad they cannot because of the public riducle they would bear the grunt of. Most of the ladyboys do not have the full cosmetic surgery done. The bottom is still intact. No, I don't know from a lot of personal exp. but it's too costly for the avg. person. Live and let live as most of the Thai society does.

I saw a programme highlighting the life of ladyboys working in clubs, the film was aired well over 15 years ago, and although it was centered on a small section of this part of Thai society, the message was that the Ladyboys did what they do to make money to send home to their poor families. As I have said the film was aired a long time ago and the details are blurred, but the point I am stating is still clear, it was done for money. The families were unaware of what their sons were doing.

Obviously the truth of this is not 100%, and there are other Koytoi's in Thai society (i.e. schoolchildren etc) that this film did not cover.

B

TV shows in los are littered with katoeys/ladyboys and kids are obviously growing up seeing this as normal behaviour so it's no wonder there's an excess of them. I shall be having satellite installed shortly so as my son doesn't become one of the many, so influenced. :o

Maybe there are no more here than elsewhere, it's just that in other countries they have to keep low key about it, in Thailand nobody cares.

Same as with gays, in some countries they are discriminated against or ridiculed, maybe in Thailand there is more tolerance and acceptance so people do not have to hide what they really are.

Jeez good doctor..................an intellegent and sensible reply,things are looking up. :o

One of the reasons maybe is, contary to other posts we've have on the subject,that BG's in Thailand have a really good life and can only better them selves. The young boys see this and want a piece of the action. Thailand does seem to be the only country in the world with three distintives sexes though. :

hide what they really are.

I.e hiding their tackle between their legs.

He thought you were making a witticism.

Come on everyone - Dr John doesn't do jokes. Its statistically impossible for everyone to have an 'above average' sense of humour.

Thank you Sauron, at least one person understood what I was laughing at.

The ladyboys here really love volleyball so it's no surprise to see hordes of them at any volleyball gym. Some of them are much bigger than the average guy and probably have similar strength. They may look like chicks, but I wouldn't want to get into a fight with one :o

First of all, are many of you assuming that 'ladyboy' or 'katoey' are words that only refer to males who had surgery to become females, or males who are saving up for the surgery? I don't think so. The two provincial schools I've worked at have katoey types that are pre-pubescent, 4 foot ten, eleven years old, on up to age 18. They talk and walk like females, but that doesn't mean they even want the operation. They're gay and they know it. I asked my boyfriend about this. He said even before puberty, he knew he was gay. He played with the girls. He never wanted any operation.

And there's no connection, necessarily, between ladyboys and prostitution. No more connection than there is between ladygirls and prostitution. My boyfriend and your wives, never were prostitutes. Some male prostitutes are heterosexual, but they only find male customers.

As others have said, Thailand's gay males are more obvious because their actions are tolerated, even if those actions are looked down upon or made fun of. The stereotype of the katoey on TV is a caricature. Many gays in Thailand, as in our native countries, are as macho as the OP's avatar. Remember, it was a Thai boxer who became a beautiful woman - although that's a rare exception.

Here is my 2 baht.

There is a misconception from those with limited exposure that a ladyboy is essentially a gay with lipstick trying to pull a fast one to land unsuspecting guys. Furthermore, ladyboys should not be linked to prostitution. As PeaceBlondie points out, dancing at bars to make money for the family is an across the board thing regardless of gender or persuasion. It is just as likely to find a ladyboy working fast food, in an office, or in a department store as in a bar. It would be unusual for a gay person to be attracted to a ladyboy. On the contrary, people who consider themselves hetero are attracted to them; sometimes they know what they are getting and sometimes they are fooled.

The thing that separates ladyboys from gays is ladyboys identify themselves as being women. They use women's restrooms, assume the demeanor of a woman, and believe something went terribly wrong at birth and they ended up in the wrong body type. If they have the money, they use medication and surgery to try to get their body to look as they think it should have in the first place.

There are numerous good theories from genetic to environmental as to why Thailand has so many, but I am not sure any of them are really conclusive.