Sale Of Alcoholic Drinks Are Banned For Religious Holidays.

sbk

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The ban on alcohol sales isn't about people who can't go without a drink--they invariably have a supply. I've never met an alcoholic who didn't have a pretty healthy stash of alcohol hidden away somewhere. It's about being able to go out, socialize and meet friends.

I seldom go out and I don't often drink. My work keeps imbibing off the table most of the time. About the only time I can go out is when there is a holiday and it would be nice to meet people and have a few drinks. Those days are pretty much limited to Buddhist holidays, which mean little to the people who are non-Buddhists.

The fact that I can't isn't of great importance, only a minor nusiance. For others I guess it's a bigger deal.

I really don't like having religion shoved down my throat, not my own, not anyone elses.

The ban on alcohol sales isn't about people who can't go without a drink--they invariably have a supply. I've never met an alcoholic who didn't have a pretty healthy stash of alcohol hidden away somewhere. It's about being able to go out, socialize and meet friends.

I seldom go out and I don't often drink. My work keeps imbibing off the table most of the time. About the only time I can go out is when there is a holiday and it would be nice to meet people and have a few drinks. Those days are pretty much limited to Buddhist holidays, which mean little to the people who are non-Buddhists.

The fact that I can't isn't of great importance, only a minor nusiance. For others I guess it's a bigger deal.

I really don't like having religion shoved down my throat, not my own, not anyone elses.

Religion is not being shoved down your throat. All you're being asked to do is respect the host nation's religiously based decree. You're not being asked to believe in anything, or to renounce any beliefs. You are not being preached to, and have no dogma forced upon you. Your own religious freedoms are respected (unless you are a true believer and follower of Bacchus).

What you do in the privacy of your own home is your business. The ban is on the sale, not on the consumption....so have your friends over.

It's not every day of the year. Most days, it will affect nobody.

I understand that there are likely political reasons for the law, and that is what bothers some of the people opposed to it, as a matter of principle as much as anything.

But here is the beauty of this law, from the legislator's POV: The reason for the law can be blamed on the religion of 98% of the population, and the majority of those annoyed with it are non-voters....who cares what they think?

Officially secular or not, Thailand's majority religion can not be disdained, whether there is an ulterior motive for the decree or not.

Hence it's moot. Like it or lump it.

I think the statement made by Prakit saying ""How can tourists can enjoy their holiday in Thailand without drinking?" is a bit over the top. It would mean that without drinking one cannot enjoy things. Sounds strange to me.

To answer the question: If Thailand forbids to drink on these days on religious grounds, than that is a part of Thailand, so as a visitor you will have to accept that too.

I totally agree with these last 2 lines. It's time that tourists and espcially foreigners living here, realize this

IS Thailand and it has it's own culture and religious norms. We're talking about 6 days in a whole year and

frankly if there is anyone out there who can't handle it, they NEED help!

It also annoys me when Falang blatantly ignore the ban (and the smoking one in bars etc.) just to satisfy

there egoistic selfishness.

2 days of restrictions, (possibly the most observed i have seen) and 3 pages of posts, mostly members having a go at each other or their stated country of allegance.

i have tried to analyse this and i dont see any reference to religion in the ban OTHER than the holiday which would appear to bee the critical factor. Previous reasons for considering the ban have included road safety but i have not seen reference to this here so i maintain that this appears to be purely an imposition based upon "i am right and i know it therfore i dictate it" :D

just for my peace of mind why do people say Buddhism bans the consumption of alcohol, i know little of th subject but i have not found where this is stated.

many thanks :)

if someone can't go 2 days without a drink, he or she has a bigger problem.

Most people that this law affects can easily go 2 days without a drink. In fact, many of them have gone MONTHS without a drink. Then they have a few days in Thailand, and want to drink on their HOLIDAY, and can't. It is only the short term tourists that are affected by this law. Thais are definitely not affected at all, same with most expats, only clueless tourists fresh off the plane are the ones prevented from drinking.

Chamlong is a patient man. Who knows, he may eventually get the total prohibition that he wants. He should study the US though. Prohibition made MANY gangsters VERY wealthy including the Kennedy clan. Against the law or not, alcohol will always be available.

After reading this thread.... GOD... I NEED A DRINK!!!! :)

ps - Lolitas Sukhumvit has been closed the past two days... And a nearby bar had its metal shades down and no one outside, but appeared to be serving inside. Didn't venture out to Soi 4.

After reading this thread.... GOD... I NEED A DRINK!!!! :)

ps - Lolitas Sukhumvit has been closed the past two days... And a nearby bar had its metal shades down and no one outside, but appeared to be serving inside. Didn't venture out to Soi 4.

... :D

A lot of bars in the USA are still closed on Sunday and you can't buy alcohol in many states on Sunday, with the exception of South Dakota where you can buy all the beer you want just nothing hard... I think the law now is that food sales have to be equal or higher than alcohol sales and the bar can be opened (in most states). So, no it applies to everyone tourists are not exempt what would you do anyway to prove you are a tourist? I'm sure if you look closely you will find opened bars.

So because the good ol USA does it its a good thing ? Forcing religions dogma's onto others is wrong period.

Drive carefully, I don't want your kharma to run over my dogma.

I don't think he's saying anything like "If the USA does it, it's a good thing". Like me in my post which mentions New Zealand....just drawing a parallel to say that this Thai action is not at all odd in the greater scheme of things.

I strongly dislike dogmatics, I am staunchly atheist, and resent any religion being forced upon me. However, when I visit a friend's house for dinner and they insist on saying grace, I sit and wait quietly until they are finished, I don't get stuck into the food while their eyes are still closed. :) . Respect the host.

you poor old drunks ,gonna miss yer booze and piss up for a few days ,any thing that restricts the abuse of alcohol is a good thing ,same as cigarettes ,learn to live clean you will live longer and happier

I think the statement made by Prakit saying ""How can tourists can enjoy their holiday in Thailand without drinking?" is a bit over the top. It would mean that without drinking one cannot enjoy things. Sounds strange to me.

To answer the question: If Thailand forbids to drink on these days on religious grounds, than that is a part of Thailand, so as a visitor you will have to accept that too.

I totally agree with these last 2 lines. It's time that tourists and espcially foreigners living here, realize this

IS Thailand and it has it's own culture and religious norms. We're talking about 6 days in a whole year and

frankly if there is anyone out there who can't handle it, they NEED help!

It also annoys me when Falang blatantly ignore the ban (and the smoking one in bars etc.) just to satisfy

there egoistic selfishness.

many thais think that all farangs need alcohol to enjoy life ,thats what they see fat,drunk rich whites ,they can think we are all like that ,look at the bars ,men stumbling around too fat or/and drunk to walk

A lot of bars in the USA are still closed on Sunday and you can't buy alcohol in many states on Sunday, with the exception of South Dakota where you can buy all the beer you want just nothing hard... I think the law now is that food sales have to be equal or higher than alcohol sales and the bar can be opened (in most states). So, no it applies to everyone tourists are not exempt what would you do anyway to prove you are a tourist? I'm sure if you look closely you will find opened bars.

So because the good ol USA does it its a good thing ? Forcing religions dogma's onto others is wrong period.

Drive carefully, I don't want your kharma to run over my dogma.

I don't think he's saying anything like "If the USA does it, it's a good thing". Like me in my post which mentions New Zealand....just drawing a parallel to say that this Thai action is not at all odd in the greater scheme of things.

I strongly dislike dogmatics, I am staunchly atheist, and resent any religion being forced upon me. However, when I visit a friend's house for dinner and they insist on saying grace, I sit and wait quietly until they are finished, I don't get stuck into the food while their eyes are still closed. :) . Respect the host.

you poor old drunks ,gonna miss yer booze and piss up for a few days ,any thing that restricts the abuse of alcohol is a good thing ,same as cigarettes ,learn to live clean you will live longer and happier

I'm actually supporting the brief prohibition....where do you get the idea that I'm a drunk?

And as for your prosletysing about "clean living"...that is dogma too that I ignore.

Strange, this talk of closures. I was out last night and had 3 venues open at 1 hotel. Same on Tuesday.

I talked to one of the management staff and joked they must have paid a kick-back to be open, but it seems not.

As ever, one rule for one place and other rules for others.

England used to have lunch time closing and early closing on Sundays too. I never saw that as a problem. Last orders often at 10-45 p.m. I will agree that since the abolition of those closing times coupled with the aiming of certain brands of drink at youngsters that the drinking scene has changed dramatically and the problems have increased. Not so sure it is due to the opening hours as much as drinks like WKD being aimed at teenagers who drink them like they are cherry soda.

Same applied to pubs being closed over Christmas holidays.

That was the way it was and we accepted it. No real hardship to be without for a day or two. Helps clear the system out :)

The Thai government should be embarrassed by the laws it makes regarding drinking. The one forbidding sale of alcohol between 2-5 PM says to the rest of the world, "Our people are like irresponsible children who won't stay at work/school and do what they're supposed to do, so we have to make draconian laws to ensure that they won't shirk their responsibilities and get drunk instead."

This latest one screams out that the citizens of this country are not truly Buddhist, because if they were, they would follow the 5 precepts of Buddhism and not drink at all, let alone on religious holidays. But since religion here is only something superficial, we must make more draconian laws.

Passing through Ban Chang yesterday I found most of the "fahrang" bars closed apart from the offshore bar where I had a meal. The manager politely informed me that alcohol could not be observed due to the religious holiday. After finishing my "fahrang" meal I proceeded to a thai restaurant down the road to meet some friends where the religious holiday was in full swing and most of the thais were drinking the beer and sangthip happily.

So it would appear that laws are created primarily for the fahrangs who respect or fear them and a few elderly traditionalists who remember Sarit and Pibulsongkramm who kept streets safe and made the trains run on time. Most modern thais blithely ignore them as an irrelevance :D . I am honestly starting to believe that Thai laws are promulgated by stuffy, conservative old men and ignored by most of the youthful population.

The only people that pay heed are fahrangs who have an innate respect of judicial/legal systems and a healthy fear of the boys in brown. (The only other group to show interest in laws, for their own pecuniary interests :) )

reports today that 71 have died in gujarat india due to drinking bootleg booze at a party... why point something that happened in india out?

well you cant buy booze in gujarat......

take away the legit supply and you are left with .... you get the point.