What Kind Of Childrens Schools Available In Los

Eastender

Just planning ahead for the big move some day..

What are the choices of school and their associated costs? I'm thinking childs age 5 to 18 here. i.e., are government schools free for certain ages, if so what ages, if not what costs? Are international schools taught in English only, or English / Thai mix?

Thanks,

Robin.

Depends on where you are. In Bangkok "there are currently 65 international schools in Bangkok that include a wide range of British, American, Chinese, French, German, Japanese, and Singaporean accredited curriculums" And there are bilingual programs of many combinations. Most British and American programs would be English only but there are many options. Major cities would have English international schools and as you'd expect the smaller the city options get reduced.

Search for international schools in Bangkok or where you want to live and you'll find the range of cost. There's a wide range.

Just planning ahead for the big move some day..

What are the choices of school and their associated costs? I'm thinking childs age 5 to 18 here. i.e., are government schools free for certain ages, if so what ages, if not what costs? Are international schools taught in English only, or English / Thai mix?

Thanks,

Robin.

Hi Robin:

To simplify the issue, and pardon my generalizations, there's basically 4 levels of schools in Thailand. At the top are the International Schools ($6,000-$10,000/year), then Bilingual Schools ($2,000-$3,000/year), then Thai Private Schools ($1000/year), then Thai Government Schools (Free).

International Schools are taught in English, with some exceptions. Bilingual are taught in English and Thai 50%/50%, Thai Private are mostly Thai with perhaps 1 class a day in English, and Thai Govt. nearly all Thai.

International Schools - Generally good education. Nearly all teachers fully qualified professionals (BA in Education, teaching license), native speakers, and well paid ($45,000/year). Western curriculum. Mostly Korean, Japanese, European, American, Indian, rich Chinese Thai, and 50/50 kids (Thai moms and Western Dads). However, expensive and not terribly practical for children who expect to live in Thailand as adults and have no interest in University. Teach children to be independent thinkers. The best are International School of Bangkok, Patana School, Regent's.

Bilingual - Possibly the best value since the best ones (REPS-Rayong, Assumption) are excellent and much less expensive that Internationals. Most of the teachers are College grads, albeit generally not always experienced or mature. Subjects are taught in Thai and English. Students are primarily 50/50 kids, and rich Thais.

Thai Private - Nearly all Thai students, totally Thai curriculum, some English instruction by native speakers or Philippine teachers. Students tend to be rich, arrogant, and spoiled. Not strict discipline.

Thai Government Schools - Some are actually very good schools. Strong discipline, focus on the group rather than the individual, good math basics, perhaps too much rote learning, kind and friendly student population. Rarely any native English speaker teachers. Spend a lot of time marching, sports games, band, cheering, singing, and group bonding activities. Best one in Pattaya is Temple School on Naklua Road.

Hope that's a help.

Cheers,

Gregory