Making A Wall Around Our Property

chrgrims

After a long time of evaluating what kind of fence to build, we decided to make a concrete wall, made of prefabricated concrete pillars.We did consider the normal it block wall, but we found it too expensive and timeconsuming to build because our land is so big. feedback on the maintainance of this kind of fence is appreciated. We are planning to paint it with oilbased nippon paint. 1 layer of base paint first.

Here are some pics from the building process.

post-83356-1246763286_thumb.jpg post-83356-1246763304_thumb.jpg post-83356-1246763253_thumb.jpg

Edited by chrgrims

Could you get in to more detail as to how this wall compares cost wise? 1000 baht per linear meter for a 2.5 high wall? more? Are the posts poured in a concrete base or just set in hand dug holes? In the photos it looks like the first section set inbetween the posts is a special base foundation piece?

its a company called readyfence, so you can check prices with them. when we did our calculations, its better structure, faster build and cheaper (10-20%). but i feel i cant give out my price, because they might find it confidential. but from this info, u can make a rough estimation yourself. our wall is 2m.

yes, you are correct, they put the pillars in concrete foundation. all the pillars are like this. here is a pic of the foundation before the pillar is attached in concrete. they also use some iron, but its hard to see in pics.

post-83356-1246795193_thumb.jpg

its readyfence.biz

most info is in thai. my thai wife called them, and we had contracts in both thai and english. they seem professionals, but let me give a final verdict when the work is completely done.

IMO, its not fair to the company to give out prices. I like the company, and i think its very important we have companies like this in thailand. if not, we must build all with it blocks from local workers who dont have a company.

or, you can think i have a hidden agenda, because all people have these days, right?

You could answer my question about how much per linear meter for a 2 meter high wall without disclosing the actual cost you paid. As we don't know the length of you're wall. You say this is 10 to 20 percent less than a standard block wall and foundation?

Edited by longball53098

From what I've seen, block walls as built in Thailand have no room for movement and usually have very poor foundations. Using posts and slot-in panels like you have chosen seem like a better idea to me as they should allow for some movement without failure. Personally, I wouldn't paint it as doing so would commit you to keeping it painted over the years. Why not just let it weather and use some plants for screening?

You could answer my question about how much per linear meter for a 2 meter high wall without disclosing the actual cost you paid. As we don't know the length of you're wall. You say this is 10 to 20 percent less than a standard block wall and foundation?

just call readyfence. every land is different, terrain, perimeter length, firmness of earth etc. I have given you an idea of the cost, it should be enough. cost is also very hard to determine precisely, unless u are the employer and the landowner. you need to add living cost for the workers, among other things. and this is much higher with it block because they take much longer time.

Edited by chrgrims

From what I've seen, block walls as built in Thailand have no room for movement and usually have very poor foundations. Using posts and slot-in panels like you have chosen seem like a better idea to me as they should allow for some movement without failure. Personally, I wouldn't paint it as doing so would commit you to keeping it painted over the years. Why not just let it weather and use some plants for screening?

tx for this idea, good thinking!

I like the idea of the grooves with the horizontal pieces just sliding in, BUT I noted that they used small stones in the groove to keep the horizontal pieces in line. Are they going to place other material in there to permanently secure the horizontal pieces?

I like the idea of the grooves with the horizontal pieces just sliding in, BUT I noted that they used small stones in the groove to keep the horizontal pieces in line. Are they going to place other material in there to permanently secure the horizontal pieces?

yes, cement. they have already done so on some parts of the fence, it looks good. you cant see stones anymore.

What's the rush if you are going to build a house in Thailand?

Here is another Petchabun wall which I had built first and then the house.

These are 2007 prices though, materials - steel/brick/cement/ + paint = 108,000 Baht and my builder charged 2,500 Baht labour a section of wall.

I could show you pics of the stainless steel fence sections at the front, now that was expensive - ouch!

What's the rush if you are going to build a house in Thailand?

Here is another Petchabun wall which I had built first and then the house.

Nice hand holes for them outside who want to be on the inside. :)

• 4 weeks later...