The Thai Constitution Leaves Expats Out In The Cold

What is so surprising about that. The US only gives rights to US citizens. FOr example The Americans with Disabilities ACT.

No, you've got the basics wrong on this. The US CONSTITUTION does protect aliens and it wouldn't be unreasonable to think Thailand should do the same, but they of course won't:

DUE PROCESS OF LAW AND EQUAL PROTECTION UNDER THE LAW

Our Constitution guarantees due process of law to all persons, including aliens in the U.S. The concept of due process of law requires that specified orderly procedures be followed in the enactment, administration, and enforcement of the laws. The Constitution also guarantees each person equal protection under the law. This concept means that the law applies to all equally, regardless of status, wealth, or position, and that the state may not discriminate between person for arbitrary and capricious reasons. There are, of course, special laws and regulations that establish the conditions under which international students and scholars may study, teach, or pursue research in the U.S., but within these general and reasonable limits, international students and scholars and other aliens in the U.S. are subject to the same laws and are guaranteed the same protection of the laws and the same civil rights as are American citizens.

http://www.lbl.gov/Workplace/HumanResource...lienRights.html

The US government is hardly a good example as it seems to be happy enough ignoring its Constitution, so what difference would it make what the Thai Constitution says, governments and their civil servants will do as they please regardless.

that i'm talking out of my àss goes without saying as it's the Klingon way to deal with earthlings. that you have no fàcking idea how aliens are treated in the U.S. goes without saying too. the expression "i'm sure" proves that you know nothing but you assume. that i am sitting at my computers (plural and not computOrs) looking at four screens 10 to 12 hours a day and working hard is nobody else's but my own business. that i visit in between this forum to have a little fun is my business too. that you are a poor boy and most probably [quoting you:] "not much better off than the average Thai" is your business for which you can't blame anybody else.

next! :)

One thing about the average sunshiner ie Naam, is that he can always be relied upon to pick up on spelling mistakes, it helps when he can't think of a decent retort to a critical post. The aim is to make his adversary look stupid and therefore reinforce his argument. By the way Naam, you spelled the slang word for backside wrong, it isn't ass. Oh, and another thing, the 'I' of 'I'm' should be a capital letter. Wouldn't normally point it out but you seem to be of a pernickity nature (pernickity could be spelled wrong too). Oh! And there are several other times in your post that you used a small 'i'. The one part of your post that you were spot on about was the fact that I am a poor boy, but I'm not ashamed of that. We can't all be rich types, and a few bob saved by not going along with double pricing makes life a little easier. Oh, and while I'm at the English lesson, you didn't start your paragraph with a capital. Tch tch.

I happen to think that the US and the UK treat foreigners in an exemplary fashion, why else do you think they flock to our countries in droves?

I happen to think that the US and the UK treat foreigners in an exemplary fashion, why else do you think they flock to our countries in droves?

you 'happen to think' Jesimps but my wife and me lived as aliens in the Greatest Nation on Earth™ for 15 years. we loved the country, we liked the people and we enjoyed a well developed infrastructure. but the political paranoia that started gradually after "sept 11th" forced us to leave the country.

p.s. my hitting back on "computors" and the like is only triggered by irrelevant statements such as "talking out of rear orifice" or strangers minding my business how much time i spend in the bathroom, in front of my screens or grabbing the behind of the Mrs. as far as the use of capital letters or grammar is concerned i have my own set of rules and apply the rules how i please. that english (English) is my third language gives me (in my not so humble opinion) the right to do so.

:)

If 'Naam' was a country with a constitution, this thread would be compelling reading at this point.

Briefly returning now to the topic of the thread ... The section of the Vietnamese constitution dealing with individual rights also limits itself to "citizens", but at least includes the following clause:

Article 81

Foreign national legally residing in Vietnam are to comply with the Vietnamese Constitution and law.

They are entitled to protection by the State and according to Vietnamese law of their lives, property and

legitimate rights and interests.

I don't understand all this grumbling about double pricing. It shows the writers lack of international travel. MOST countries outside Western Europe and the US have double pricing for foreigners. I've had the same experience in Central and South America and India to name a few. You think the prices here are more, try the Taj Mahal in India. It's many many more times more than double for a foreigner. Beaches in Costa Rica? Hotels in Panama? Museums in Mexico? Thailand actually asks some of the least of their foreign visitors.

Thailand actually asks some of the least of their foreign visitors.

Yes variant pricing occurs in many countries. However, in Thailand it is more institutionalized and rationalized at every level of this society than any country I have ever been to and I have traveled to many, many countries. You also are completely incorrect that the prices are always just doubled in Thailand, sometimes the multiples are much higher. I don't understand people who defend this very nasty corrupt aspect of Thai culture. It stinks and defending it stinks even more. Cheers.

Edited by Jingthing

i may have missed it but is there anything that states the rights of visitors and or non thai residents? what is the position of thailand with respect to international human rights practises? it there such a thing as an international agreement on human rights and if so is thalain a signatory?

dont reply with how crap my spelling is please

"The Universal Declaration of Human Rights" ( http://www.un.org/en/documents/udhr/ ). The way I've understood it, a country cannot be a member of the United Nations without subscribing to the Declaration.

/ Priceless