Live Rugby League

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know how you feel...I can hardly bear to watch anymore this season...

Well, I'm sorry Smokie, but I'm going out to dinner instead of listening to the Hull Huddersfield game - you're on our own for that one.

SC

Good on yer lads, there, by the way

Yeaman's late try denies Giants

Up to 7th place, with a game in hand that should take you up to 5th, ahead of Huddersfield... and the Robins trailing two points out of the play-off places. Still a long way to go, though, and we've still got three points to make up on Wigan... and the Dragons snapping on our tails, with a game in hand that would take them past us. Ow Ow! Its the snapdragons!

SC

Up to 7th place, with a game in hand that should take you up to 5th, ahead of Huddersfield... and the Robins trailing two points out of the play-off places. Still a long way to go, though, and we've still got three points to make up on Wigan... and the Dragons snapping on our tails, with a game in hand that would take them past us. Ow Ow! Its the snapdragons!

SC

Its encouraging....as you say plenty left to play for...if only the form of the early season could be found....

SC

Its encouraging....as you say plenty left to play for...if only the form of the early season could be found....

I'll be watching your game at Leeds on Friday night in the small hours of Saturday morning, as its a non-working Saturday this weekend. Earlier in the evening, I also have the State Of Origin repeat... They're not saying which game will be shown lunchtime on Saturday - usually its the Friday night game, but I'm hoping it will be the England - Exiles game (unless I fall asleep during the Leeds Hull game, when I'll be grateful of the repeat.

Then there's Warrington Catalans on Monday night (Tuesday morning) but I'll hold off watching that - it being a working Tuesday and all - in the hope that is the game they'll be showing on Tuesday early evening...

So plenty to look forward to, and I can delay getting a life for another week

SC

Don't expect a commentary then...I will be at the pub....or in prayer.....

I'll get the Imam to remind you of the call to prayers... Astro's showing the game (Leeds - Hull) delayed by an hour, to accomodate athletics from Rome... but I'm nervous they'll start early, so I'll probably get up in time for kick-off, and find something to do till it comes on. Anyway, that should take me up to the call to prayers here...

SC

Don't expect a commentary then...I will be at the pub....or in prayer.....

I'll get the Imam to remind you of the call to prayers... Astro's showing the game (Leeds - Hull) delayed by an hour, to accomodate athletics from Rome... but I'm nervous they'll start early, so I'll probably get up in time for kick-off, and find something to do till it comes on. Anyway, that should take me up to the call to prayers here...

SC

Ahye steady on Imam, ah ken its on the TV...

Leeds putting the mockers on Hull just now; albeit an hour after you live fellas...and the fitst try of the match for Leeds Rhinos!

I'm listening to Widnes - St Helens, with Andy ...

AND OHIA HAS SCORED

He's not given it, Ray

AND HE'S NOT GIVEN IT

He's dropped the ball...

It is red-hot here at the Stobart Stadium ... still nil-nil after half an hour

Andy Murray a set up in the Wimbledon Men's Final

This is the last tackle, a little grubber through, he's dropped it behind him and Soliola followed it up and touched it down... Widnes 0 - 6 St Helens

And Allan Rooney is beside himself - Patrick Ahvan has chased down a wickedly bouncing ball that refused to go into touch, and "that will do Widnes' confidence a power of good - especially if Rees Hanbury can get Widnes back to level terms - it looks pretty good; its a belter! Its game on again, Ray! Widnes have never beaten St Helens in superleague. Not yet.

And that's half-time... "The St Helens fans are a little disgruntled, Allan"

and Salford are 16 - 12 up against Hull KR, and Wakefield 4 - 0 Wigan after 20 minutes

And after the break, St Helens - Jon Wilkin, scores right under the posts, while down South, Federer takes the second set, breaking Murray's serve in the tenth game of the set, so its

6-4 4-6...

Saints really attacking now.. oh, that's a beautiful pass out wide, but it comes to nowt

And a very well-worked attack by Widnes sees Chris Dean roll over the try line without a finger being laid on him and Rees Hanbury will kick from about ten metres to the left of the uprights... "Oh, he's missed it"

"He's claiming that it went over"

"I honestly thought that went over"

"But all credit to the two touch-judges; they both instantly waved their flags in front of them, Allan"

And Widnes has scored in the corner ! Patrick Ahvan has got the try for Widnes

"Ah'll tell you what, Ray, its rockin' now!"

and meanwhile, they've pulled the covers over at Wimbledon and the umbrellas are out...

"And Michael Shenton shrugs off his opposite number, created a little bit of doubt and he needed no second invitation... and it all came from that controversial penalty... but I think the referee got it absolutely right"

Widnes 14 - 18 St Helens

"OH - AND HERE'S ROBY... and here's a chance for St Helens

"OH - INTERCEPTION! Patrick Ahvan runs 90 metres to score; had he not collected, Saints would have been walking in for their fourth try with a three on one overlap - Oh and Hanbury has MISSED IT AGAIN! Wdines 18 - 18 St Helens, Has Patrick Ahvan gone off?"

"I can't see him, Ray"

And St Helens go for a drop goal, but it ricochets off the post, and St Helens knock on; its still 18 apiece with nine minutes to go...

And Widnes bring the ball up the pitch; they get a penalty, and edge towards the St helens line, and Hanbury kicks a drop goal 19 - 18 in favour of Widnes Vikings!

Just over 7,000 watching as Widnes feed a scrum ten metres from their own line, 19 - 18 ahead of St Helens at the Stobart Stadium.

Last tackle for Widnes, ten metres out, "Oh I think Widnes are in again! It might be Cameron Phelps ... and would you believe ... it was very tight, Ray, it was very short...but Widnes have got the score that could seal the game. Its a change of kicker - Stefan Marsh... its a poor kick 23 - 18; two and a half minutes remain...

"AND ST HELENS SCORE IN THE CORNER

LEE GASKILL'S KICK FROM RIGHT ON THE TOUCH LINE WILL DECIDE WHO WINS THIS GAME - AND IT'S OVERRRRR!...

It was a magnificient performance from Widnes... it really has been entertainment of the highest calibre"

Widnes Vikings 23 - 24 St Helens

Salford have turned over the Robins

Hull KR 22 - 24 Salford

and they're back on at Wimbledon, but I'm off to bed

SC

And we're back t the Halliwell Jones for Warrington - Catalans. I say "back", but I didn't actually watch the game at 2 am this morning when it was on live...

James Child is the man in the middle, but as we know, there's no point in speculating on the identity of the video referee...

An Clint Greenshields accidentally heads the ball dead and Catalans kick out from under the posts...

Warrington have a scrum 8 metres out, but Catalans intercept, up to the Warrington 40.

Joel Monaghan fields the kick, and darts into space, for his feet to slip out from under him. Vincent Duport penalised for a dangerous tackle on Carvell... up to Catalans 30...

And Warrington are defending much more vigourously than they did last week, when they shipped 48 points against Salford. Catalans penalised for being off-side a few metres out.

Good grief - a wild Warrington pass, two dragons dive on it, so does the warrington winger, and the ball bobbles loose for a Warrington scrum.

I can end your speculation - its Steve ganson manning the screen upstairs.

Warrington are brought down a foot short, but the ballis passed up out of the tackle for Ben Westwood to dot the ball over for a try beside the sticks

Warrington ow working the ball out from their own 10 m line....20 m line ... 30 .... 40 and a kick down deep into the Catalan half, and Warrington are closing the Catalan attack down very early.

In the earlier superleague fixture, Catalans handed a drubbing to Warrigton in Perpignan, but Warrington bounced back a few weeks later to throw Catalans out the cup - also in the South of France.

Scott Dureau kicks a 40 - 20 to put Catalans in an attackig position on the Wire 10 m line... two metres out... 3rd tackle, and they'r back to 8 m out, they go wide to Damien Blanche, Blanche cuts infield and that is outstanding defence from Warrington.

Catalans kick through, and Joel Monaghan has to dive to pat the ball dead, and Warrington kick out over half way from under the posts. 90 seconds to go, Menzies slices through the Warrington line but he's brought down, and on 39 minutes Warrington turn the ball over, its a tough fierce game ahead of Warrington's Cup Semi-Final next week against Huddersfield... and "there are some really tired players out there. This has been really physical battle par excellence" - I guess that last bit was for the French viewers...

Oh my word! Clint Greenshields bursts through, but he's chased down and hauled to ground - then the ball spins wide and Cardace dives down the wing and plants the ball over the line, but steps in touch first. Five minutes into the second half, and its been all Dragons... Warrington pick up their second penalty for offside... but Reilly and O'Brien pick up Clint Greenshields, and Warrington have the ball (lucky not to be penalised for ripping, in the unlikely event you were to ask a neutral...)

And "its getting a little bit tastey out there", both sides giving 100%+

Warrington running it on the last tackle, trying to keep it alive, and Ryan Atkins follows up his own dabbing grubber kick to score the second try of the game... andBrett Hodgeson's kick comes off the posts 10-0 to Warrington

And Battieri has charged through the Warrigton defence and dives over the line as Bridge collides with Harrison Warrington 10 - 6 Catalans...

20 minutes to go, and Catalans pushing forward, but Damien Blanch kicks over and Ryan Atkins fields as he is tackled... five tackles and Warrington kick from their own half. Catalans bring it back quickly, over the half way line, and Scott Dureau lifts his eyes from the ball only to knock on from the play-the-ball...

And Michael Monaghan knocks on knocked out, as Ferriol catches him on the jaw...a nd Brett Hodgeson knocks over the two points

And they're still gonig at it hammer and tongs, Ryan Atkins barges through the first tackle, from the wing the ball comes back inside and Michael Monaghan pops a goal over... 13 - 6.

Twelve minutes to go, Catalans in the Warrington 20, one side to the other, Joel Monaghan dives on Leon Pyce's kick, then Warrington knock on, more Catalans pressure, then Warrington intercept and back up to near midway, Gareth Carvell twists over his right knee and a long kick uts theball in touch towards the Catalans line

Oh my word, what a break from Catalans, Leon Pryce offloads to Menzies, Menzies passes to Greenshields but he's hauled down. Then a kick over, and ryan Atkins leaps to take it, and its hoofed back up to the Catalans half.

Ryan Atkins offloads to Carvell who bullocks hisway through the Catalans line, up, breaking, ball spins out the line and ... over the winger Reilly's head.

And Warrington get a penalty 30 metres out... to bring the score to 15 - 6 with eighty seconds to go to the final whistle

Warrington cements their second spot in the Superleague table, and next weekend - the Challenge Cup Semi-Finals.

Leeds v Wigan on Saturday

Huddersfield v Warrington on Sunday

frustratingly, only the former is live on Astro (2330)

I'm listening to Widnes - St Helens, with Andy ...

... and Wakefield 4 - 0 Wigan after 20 minutes

SC you got a like for this above because I 'Like' it anytime I get a Wakefield score and they are leading!

Unfortunately ... this is not often the case ... crying.gif

Ladies and Gentlemen,

In the Semi-Finals of the Challenge Cup

Live from the Galpharm Stadium, Huddersfield

Leeds Rhinos v Wigan Warriors

Are you sitting comfortably?

Then I'll begin....

Dave Woods and Jonathan Davies comentating for Sky on Astro

I've not even begun to speculate on the identity of the fourth official (there's no point...)

The man in the middle is Ben Thaler, by the way

Leeds score first with Ryan Hall taking a high kick, missed by the Wigan cover, bounces, falls in his arms, and he dives over to score.

Steve Ganson in the box upstairs, by the way, for those that are still speculating.

And from the restart, Sinfield kicks a 40 - 20 that Sam Tomkins lets drift into touch

and Ben Jones Bishop goes over for the second try before Leeds' second try in seven minutes

And their third, after the referee misses a forward pass; Tomkins is so busy complaining that Leeds go over under the posts

And Tomkins goes on an amaing run from his own 10 metre line, dancing round, breaking through tackles, then plays the ball quickly to get a penalty for off-side... Tomkins loses possession but Ben Thaler says interference, Ben Jones-Bishop knocks down an interception to keep Wigan out but anotherset of six from the scrum on the ten metrre line an George carmont scores under the posts

And Gareth Hock breaks through a bg gap in the line to scrore Wigan's second... Tomkins kicks a second conversion to make it 16 - 12

Ryan Hall dives for the line but Wigan come away with the ball, only to be pulled back for a penalty to Leeds, and Bailey stretches to plant the ball on the whitewash, and Jonathan Davies begs to differ regarding the penalty, but the referee can't hear him; just as well, or he'd be commentating from the naughty chair.

Leeds break again, and make it the length of the pitch, Sinfield kicks through and Tomkins is tackled behind his own goal line...

And Leeds are running amok! Sinfield kicks across field on the last tackle for Ben Jones-Bishop to ground the ball for Leeds' sixth try in the first half! 30-12 and the Rhinos are running away with it like a butcher's dog!

And there's a shot of Big Eorl Crabtree's silky golden locks, commentating for BBC Radio...

Oh my word... Farrell breaks fo Wigan, he's not going to make it all the way, he's being chased down, the pass to Flower is a poor one, and he hoofs it forward on the volley, and chases, dives and scores! Tomkins with an easy conversion square in front of the sticks and its 30 - 18

"What a first half of rugby we've had!"

Wigan break, Tomkins kicks over, Leeds knock on, but they're brought back for a penalty, pulling Tomkins back... Tomkins lines the ball up on the tee as the hooter sounds... and Tomkins kicks it from forty metres out to close the gap to ten points; 30 -20 at half time

By the way, there's golf showing on two channels, and can you believe that one of them is not the Scottish Open from Inverness, and the other one isn't as well.

I am sitting comfortably aye...what's the score again?

The way this going, you'll not get the same score twice...

O'Loughlin loses the ball in the tackle, and play the ball on the Wigan 20 metre line

25 minutes gone, we've had five...

... Hall in the corner! Ryan Hall scores his 99th Leeds try ...

26 minutes and we've had six tries! 20 - 12 with the conversion to come from the touch line, Sinfield lines up the ball... wide across the face of the posts

A great off-load from the tackle to feed Ryan Hall, by the way, as two tacklers converget

One of my posts seems to have disappeared!

Sorry - my pologies - I'd just edited the posts out of sequence a bit; the last post there actually describes action midway through the preceiding post, which takes us up to half time

We're ow five minnutes into the second half; no scorem and Lunt is held up over the line on the last tackle for Leeds. Still 30 - 10 to Leeds, but Wigan break, out to Charnley on the wing, and Chanley is down hurt

Leeds break, they weave and jink through in numbers, Wigan dash back to defend, a pass is almost interceped, Leeds knock on but the referee waves play on with six more tackles and Hardacre scores under the posts; Leeds lead 36 - 20 and I can't imagine what Steve Ganson is saying in the video box

Tomkins chips over he top on the fifth tackle, O'Loughlin chases and dives over a few metres from the corner flag, ad Tomkins misses the conversion for the first time; 36 - 24; still twenty minutes to go...

And the Wigan defence is holding Leeds back in their own ten metres line

But Wigan throw the pass wide to nobody, and Leeds attack from a scrum near the half way line; and Sinfield drops a goal!

Ablett breaks, but he can't get the pass to McGuire, and Wigan grab the ball out of the air and break, but hauled down

Wigan attack, they have two tackles left with five metres to go, Tomkins is brought down a couple of metres out, a desperate off-load as he goes down, but it ends in a Leeds player's arms

Leeds counter-attack, Ryan Hall goes over in the coner again, but he's out of play, and there is some discussion regarding a double movement as well

SC

Ten minutes to go, 37 - 24

Wigan break; Hock splits the defence, the ball is thrown about, Wigan spin it wide, and Josh Charnley scores in the corner. Again Tomkins misses the conversion... 37 - 28; six minutes to go...

One an a half minutes to go, and Leeds get a penalty; Kevin Sinfield will kick for the two points, and the clock is stopped with 41 seconds remaining.

39 - 24

"What a performance by Leeds, and Wigan have been humbled"

SC

"Its been a 13 year itch since Leeds last won a Challenge Cup Final and will this year be it? A fantastic game of rugby league, and Leeds are going to Wembley"

Wembeleee! Wembelee!

And whom will they meet there? Huddersfield v Warrington at the Salford City Stadium, Barton-on-Irwell, same time, same place tomorrow night...

St George & Illawara leading Cronulla 12 - 4 at half time. I'll bet Cronulla could take St George or Illawara on their own, though...

Sorry, I'm saving my enthusiasm for the Huddersfield Warrington game tonight...

EDIT: And six cans of Irn Bru as well - it's a 'must-win' game!

SC

And Barr's Cheryade, and Cream Soda, and Limeade and Lemonade. No Strike Cola, though....

Areyenivverhappy,man? Yeshouldkenwhintaebegrateful,soyeshould

Right then, boys, I know we've had a lovely day venting our spleen on the immoral, the ignorant, the gullible and the faithful, but now its down to the serious business.

We're down by the Ship Canal, beside the chemical works, we're at the Capital of Sport, Salford City Stadium at Barton-upon-Irwell, just up from the old Lard Refinery, for the most important match, with only a few exceptions, in any code, of the year to date... In the Challenge Cup penultimate round, 2009 and 2010 winners Warrington will meet the Giants of Huddersfield. No doubt you are all huddled round your crystal sets, tuning in to Radio Merseyside, Radio Manchester with Allan Rooney, or even Radio Leeds (don't know who's commentating there...)

SC

EDIT: and almost all the big names are back for Warrington; Wesh Wizard Lee briers returns from his Achilles Tendon injury - let's hope that;s not their vulnerable spot today, and the crowd is predominantlygarbed in the primrose and blue of Warrington, from just a few miles up the A57 (four stops on the train, if you get the stopper, but its a bit of a hike to the stadium (I'm guessing; its new since I got that train - the tadium. The trains'll be the same...))

I can see the other fora have gone quiet, as eveyone twiddles their nobs to pick up Allan Rooney...

And the hooter goes to start the game. Danny Brough will kick off underthe supervision of Richard Silverwood - but who is the video referee? Is there any point speculating? No - of course not! and astro are a good five minutes behind. I'm caught in two minds whether to follow the radio or or the telly...

EDIT: Its Allan Rooney and Ian Chisnell in the commentary box, but WHO IS THE VIDEO REF (there really is no point speculating...)

Huddersfield kick a 40 - 20; strong defence keeps them out for two tackles but Scott Moore manages to open the account for Huddersfield...and Danny Brough makes it 6-0 doo de de doo de de doo doo de de de de doo doo de de doo...

And Gareth Carvell has come on at 100 miles an hour to plant the ball over the try line, but its gone upstairs. Its Jonathan Davies on Astro, by the way... and I can end the speculation and tell you its Mr ian Smith in the box upstairs...

Whilst he makes up his mind, I am pleased to advise you of my opinion, and the Barrs Cream Soda is lovely, though possibly on the sweet side for some... The Limeade is not as bitter as one might have expected, and Mr Smith says T R Y!

SC

Huddersfield have a spell of pressure, but Warrington turn over possession; Warrington up to the 30 metre line. Felled a couple of metres short of the half way line, and Gareth Carvell breaks, he's felled... a chance here for Stefan Ratchford and Silverwood says its a handover

"And talking of chances, Warrington have blown a massive one here"

And it looks like Hiuddersfield are going to score, but the pass goes forward

"and as expected, we are being treated to a brilliant entertaining game here" ... Warrington working out from their own 10 metre line

A high kick, Scott Grix is not in a position to take it, and Warrington scrum on the 10 m line...

and Ryan Atkins scores with the first play from the scrum and the Brett Hodgeson conversion

Warrington 12- 6 Huddersfield

And Joel Monaghan has scored for a rampant Warrington side leading 18 - 6

And Warrington are pushed back, and drop out from under their posts. Continued pressure from Huddersfield, but Warrington push the player over the sideline and get the scrum, 10 metres out from their try line

Paul Wood gets Brett Hodgeson in the clear, and Warrington get a penalty for off-side on the last tackle. Lee Briers felled on the 10 metre line. Waterhouseall wrapped up... still 5, 6 metres from the Huddersfield tryline... last tackle, and can the ball be released - no it can't.

And that defensive set of six has kept Huddersfield in the game

And that's the way the hooter draws the first half to a close, 18 - 6 to Warrington

And in the second half, Leroy Cudgoe is held up over the line, its the last tackle, so Warrington start from the 10 m line

Ten minutes into the second half, and no score; not since the half hour...

And the momentum seems to be with Warrington (if you like)

A high kick from the Huddersfield 30, and Warrington win a scrum from 10 m out

Monaghan picks out Adrian Morley, he charges for the try line but he's held down... another tackle, Monaghan dummies and scores, but the referee is looking for obstrution on the video replay, and Huddersfield get a penalty, and Ian Smith says o Try; "well done to Richard Silverwood for going to him"

The Cherryade's a bit sickly sweet, synthetic flavouring, if you're interested; for the rest of the game I'm going to stick to Irn Bru...

And Warrington get theball to Brett Hodegeson to walk in for the try against his former club after a penalty and sustained pressure

'Que Sera Sera, Whatevere will be will be, We're going to Wembelee..."

Warrington 24 - 6 Huddersfield

And Lee Briers kicks a drop goal to take them 19 poitnts and four scores clear, with 14 minutes to go

Brett Hodgeson kicks a penalty to make it 27 - 6

Warrington pressure the Huddersfield try line, and in the third attempt, Stefan Ratchford goes over for a fifth try

Wattington 33 - 6 Huddersfield... its looking like Warrington Leeds at Wembley; a repeat of the 2010 Final

A minute to go... then the hooter and that's the way it finishes, 33 -6 winners for Warrington over Huddersfield Giants, and we're going to Wembeleee on 25 August,,,,

SC

Archived