Live Rugby League

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Your man Danny Tickle brings a smile to the KC Stadium as Hull go into the lead 6-4 against leeds after fifteen minutes.

Carl Ablett puts Leeds back in front, but now Hull are threatening he Leeds Line and James Child points to the spot where Sharpe touched the ball down to equalise for Hull...

And from the kick-off, Tom Briscoe runs 70 metres to give Hull the lead over Leeds

"Its just got a little bit... heated... in the last couple of minutes"

Briscoe scores...14-10...and the conversion looks a formality....yup 16-10...well deserved.

Hull stretch their lead to 22-10 with penalties...

meanwhile, drifting off topic,

Glasgow look to hold on to fourth place in the Rabodirect, and a play-off place, leading Connacht 17 - 3 and

Edinburgh leading Treviso 30-14

EDIT

Leeds pull back with a try in the corner

Briscoe between the posts and surely a man of the match! 26-14!

18 year-old Lee Crooks scores his first Superleague try to make it 32-14

"He'll remember that, and so will these guys" (camera pans to crowd) "and girls, and children, and me!" exclaims the commentator

and the conversion is over - 34 - 14 with a minute to go

Edit: And you're right; his name is Ben; Lee was his father, I think

"There's no point in speculating..."

"No. None"

All over 34-20. Delighted with that...a return to form for us!

Elsewhere, Edinburgh still leading, 37 - 21, Chris Patterson has scored a try in his last game as a professional player

and Glasgow have beaten Connacht 24-3 to be sure of a place in the play-offs

and Edinburgh Eagles beat Aberdeen Warriors in the first round of the Scottish Rugby League; East Lothian Hawks first match was postponed because of Sevens commitments for their players...

SC

And welcome back to Ray and Allan commentating Warrington away at Salford. Not far away, I suppose, now that they are at the new stadium in Barton-on-Irwell.

Edit: And Salford are holding their own, 6-6 after the first quarter...

Edit: Is no-one paying attention? Its at the 'Alliwell-Jones, so it is, Warrington are at home.

Obviously no-one at home on this thread, though,..

"The sun is really coming down and beaming on this Halliwell Jones stadium, and plenty of red and white in the stadium, though their team are playing in a green away strip..."

And Ray is quite beside himself - he'll do himself a mischief, getting excited like that, and Salford taking the lead with Mattie Smith and Patten making in-roads "and he's retiring at the end of this seasion"

"Yes, he is Ray"

SC

And Warrington put the hammer down after half-time, and stretch out to 24-10 ahead...

and elsewhere, Bradford have pulled back from a 22-16 half-time deficit to beat London 22-29 in London

SC

EDIT: And Salford score twice in the last ten minutes to come within four points...

"...and you never can tell, Allan"

"No, you can't Ray"

'Salford just giving the ball a bit of air, and Mattie Smith wants to get his hands on it, and he has..."

"... and Warrington recover it, and that's it" if they can hold on for a couple of minutes more, and Salford have the ball with one minute and twenty to go... and some desperate play sees the ball back in Warrington hands, and Warrington get a penalty, but knock on on the way to the try line, and Salford scrum down with 12 seconds to go the length of the field." The referee says 'that's it' - what a pity"

"They're a far different Salford side than they were last year, they would've just gone under"

SC

Update please?

Not a very convincing win from Warrington, and they're going to need a lot of improvement to match Catalan Dragons in Perpignan next weekend in the Cup Quarter-Final. Catalans beat them soundly in the league a few weeks back...

Salford sounding stronger than their tenth position in the league would indicate.

On Monday evening Widnes (14th) and Castleford (12th) battle it out at the bottom of the table either side of London (13th).

SC

SC

No doubt you're all somewhat dismayed that I got back from the pub in time for the second half of Castleford - Widnes...

Bit of a bottom-of-the-table scrap, if not scraping the bottom of the barrel.

Castleford score to pull ... I checked the BBC web site to confirm the score, and this game is obviously not live, because the BBC say Castleford 36 - 12 Widnes (Result) so I might as well piss off back to the pub.,..

SC

Well, I'm cackling with glee and anticipation, and rubbing my hands to boot at the thought of the Challenge Cup Quarter-Finals next week; I think I might get all four games on Astro (the schedule doesn't identify the team for each game, so not sure).

To be honest, I can't see Leigh pulling an upset over Leeds, even with home advantage.

Other highlights of the weekend include Japan - Korea in the Asian Five Nations, and highlights of the Twickenham Sevens first day. Let's hope Scotland can do a better last weekend at Scotstoun - narrow defeats to Wales and South Africa in the group stage, and a defeat by Spain in the Bowl semi-final.

SC

(I'll bet some ducker chops this for being off-topic (edit: other code))

SC

Like me, I'm sure you are sat in front of Eurosports cursing the change of schedule. I'd been looking forward to the Leigh - Leeds Challenge Cup Quarter-Final, hoping for a repeat of 1971 (Leigh 24 - 7 Leeds), but instead, they're showing a repeat of last weekend's 5-nations game - HKG - KOR. (apologies for the OT digression)

Anyway, a commendable effort from Leigh against the world club champions

Challenge Cup: Leigh Centurions 12-60 Leeds Rhinos

Looking forward to Wigan - St Helens tonight; I don't think Catalans - Warrington is being shown, so you may have to suffer the wireless commentary...

SC

Sorry I'm late, lads.

35 minutes in and Wigan are leading St Helens 12-4

SC

Edit: We've got Jonathan Davies in the commentary box, by the way

Do you all recall which teams he played for?

At least he's not so ridiculously partisan as he is when he's not commentating Welsh Union

Brett Finch scores after weaving through the St Helens defence and scores near the posts

Wigan 16 - 4 St Helens after Josh Charnley misses the conversion

"That was a pooir kick"

ten minutes into the second half

St Helens are pressuring the Wigan defence, but they're being pushed back, when George Carmont blocks a pass and knocks it forward...

Scrum and six more tackles to St Helens - Ohaia charges through but he's brought down, the ball is spun wide - and has Wheeler got it down in the corner?

No - goal line drop out.

St helens get another penalty...

Wigan take a penalty to stretch the lead to 18-4, thirteen minutes to go.

Plenty of time for St Helens to turn it around, but to do that, they will need to score some points...

St Helens are penalised, and sent back a further ten metres for excessive conversation, but a big defensive tackle dislodges the ball, and St Helens get the scrum...

St Helens break down the wing, but the Wigan scrum half knocks the ball back

Wigan counter attack, and win a penalty on the other touch line

Six minutes to go, and it really has been a frustrating day for St Helens. This could be the first time this century that St Helens don't make it to the Challenge Cup semi-finals... (I could be wrong there...)

St Helens kick through, but can't win the chase, and there's a bit of niggle on the Wigan try line, but the final hooter goes - Wigan join Leeds in the Carnegie Challenge Cup semi-finals, and St Helens are denied a place in the semi-finals for the first time in 12 years...

Tomorrow I think Catalans Warrington is on BBC2, but not on Eurosport, I think...

I hope its on the wireless...

Time to see if the Scottish scores are on the internet anywhere....

And Eurosport has started on Toulouse - Montpellier

SC

EDIT:

(I can't believe that the mods allow such OT digressions)

There is a bloke in rural Laos screaming at the screen now for you to give him the final score...

Edit: Actually he's French so ignore the above comment.

Pardon monsieur

Sainte Helens quattre - dix-huit le Wigan

Demain, au wireless les dragons catalonnais - Loups de Warrington et suivant, l'Huddersfield - Londres a Eurosport

Hi-haw hi-haw hi-haw!

SC

There is a bloke in rural Laos screaming at the screen now for you to give him the final score...

Pardon monsieur

Demain, au wireless les dragons catalonnais - Loups de Warrington et suivant, l'Huddersfield - Londres a Eurosport

Hi-haw hi-haw hi-haw!

SC

We call it the Auld Alliance (a fine beer that) but its simply good education.

Pardon monsieur

Hi-haw hi-haw hi-haw!

SC

The most important paramters for beer are availability and quantity..,

SC

Well, how calm do you need to be?

I can't find the Catalans - Warrington game anywhere.

Eurosport are showing gentlemen on bicycles (a bit French, but not close enough)

BBC have got it on BBC 2 - with Ray French - but not available overseas) and I can't find any radio commentary on the internet...

Sacre bleu! Le voici a radio Narbonne, mais je ne comprends rien, in the words of Edith Piaf

Comment on football deleted - I've got no idea what's going on there either...

Je cherchai encore le rugby comrehensible...

EDIT: Its not even proper commentary, as far as I can tell its a telephone interview

6 - 6 so far, by the way (a cote de la voie)

To be fair, I can't imagine a Perpignanais listening to Ray French, either

Oh la la la la - I think I understood that.. malheureusement...

I've got the latest scores open on the BBC web site, and I think that was a Perpignanais malheureusement... Catalns 6 - 8 Warrington

It really is a poor broadcast, with a dreadful background hiss, like he's talking from a pub phone

Et maintenant, l'interlude musical Perpignan six - Warrington quattorze dix huit

I got an email from my dear old father to say Warrington had won - goes to show how poor my French is - I couldn't even hear l'hooter finale.

Catalans 22 - 32 Warrington

Next stop - a neutral venue against Huddersfield.

Not sure when that is going to be...

SC

SC

I read somewhere recently that a well regarded poster wrote 'quality over quantity' ... have the rules for beer been changed?

SC

I read somewhere recently that a well regarded poster wrote 'quality over quantity' ... have the rules for beer been changed?

Different games, different rules.

Archived