Live Rugby League

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For those who missed the game ... 6 mins of highlights here.

The opening tackle set the tone for the Match.

Ha Ha. I'm chortling and rubbing my hands in glee at the anticipation of the decider.

I was really hoping for a NSW win, because it was inconvenient to get home in time to see the game, and I was hoping the third game would be a cracker...

I've not had a chance to see the highlights yet from the office... when I get home tonight...

So I'll be running home as quick as I can again in three weeks' time, to catch three-quarters of the game, I hope.

Drifting off topic, I'm looking forward to the Scotland Fiji game on Saturday, especially with Tim Visser playing for us, and Max Evans...

SC

Ha Ha. I'm chortling and rubbing my hands in glee at the anticipation of the decider.

I was really hoping for a NSW win, because it was inconvenient to get home in time to see the game, and I was hoping the third game would be a cracker...

I've not had a chance to see the highlights yet from the office... when I get home tonight...

So I'll be running home as quick as I can again in three weeks' time, to catch three-quarters of the game, I hope.

Drifting off topic, I'm looking forward to the Scotland Fiji game on Saturday, especially with Tim Visser playing for us, and Max Evans...

SC

After many plans to get to civilization to watch it, i ended up listening to it on the radio, which wasn't as bad as i had feared saving the missus from what would have been an epic tantrum. She is now under no illusions that a repeat failure to travel ill be tolerated 3 weeks hence.

A shocker from Thurston, Taylor will be lucky to be there for game 3, which will be a game for the ages.

Why don't you chuck a sickie?

SC

After many plans to get to civilization to watch it, i ended up listening to it on the radio, which wasn't as bad as i had feared saving the missus from what would have been an epic tantrum. She is now under no illusions that a repeat failure to travel ill be tolerated 3 weeks hence.

A shocker from Thurston, Taylor will be lucky to be there for game 3, which will be a game for the ages.

I should be able to get home for the 20 minute mark. I'll need to make a point of coming in early so that I can park right by the car park exit, facing in the right direction. If I drive into the apartment car park through the exit (same as a lot of other people do, but because of where my parking space is, I then have to reverse out down the exit ramp... ) I can get to the sofa another couple of tackles earlier...

SC

SC

I should be able to get home for the 20 minute mark. I'll need to make a point of coming in early so that I can park right by the car park exit, facing in the right direction. If I drive into the apartment car park through the exit (same as a lot of other people do, but because of where my parking space is, I then have to reverse out down the exit ramp... ) I can get to the sofa another couple of tackles earlier...

SC

Seems an excessive rush..you may make the 20 min mark but you will i assume be totally and completely sober...

How quickly can you slam a few pints?

SC

Seems an excessive rush..you may make the 20 min mark but you will i assume be totally and completely sober...

How quickly can you slam a few pints?

Well, the other alternative is to watch in the pub at the foot of the office, but then that gives the challenge of dealing with the bar staff to get the right channel shown, and its often used for corporate promotional functions

Well, as they say on the topic of video referees "There's no point speculating" "No, none"

What is true for video referees is equally true about future pub bookings for corporate promotions...

SC

StreetCowboy ... let me tell you, Game II was an absolute sports spectacle.

From that first tackle when 'Fridge and a Freezer' was sat back on his donut attempting a tackle with two other QLD Forwards, I was salivating.

There was talk about Thurston not playing in Game II so maybe we carried an injury into the Game ... ?

As for Game Day ... I'm with necronx99 ... 100%

In true Australian tradition ... pull a sickie.

At the least ... call stumps at half-time feigning, humm, feigning ... well feign anything you darn well like!

StreetCowboy ... let me tell you, Game II was an absolute sports spectacle.

From that first tackle when 'Fridge and a Freezer' was sat back on his donut attempting a tackle with two other QLD Forwards, I was salivating.

There was talk about Thurston not playing in Game II so maybe we carried an injury into the Game ... ?

As for Game Day ... I'm with necronx99 ... 100%

In true Australian tradition ... pull a sickie.

At the least ... call stumps at half-time feigning, humm, feigning ... well feign anything you darn well like!

I've got the England v Exiles game to look forward to - not live, unfortunately; I have a choice of 0130 on Monday morning or 1820 (approx.);or various other times that are quite impractical.

SC

Well after the dismal show of enthusiasm on this forum for the MacTavish Cup Final*

its back to the Superleague for me. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the Exiles game - I watched it with a colleague from HK in Cheers; he was on his way to the launderette, and I was on my way to a night of limited and uimaginative debauchery - but since I knew the score, the excitement wasn't there...

Anyway, I am rubbing my hands with glee and anticipation, and chortling to boot, at Sunday's upcoming match on Radio Manchester - Warrington v Hull; on Saturday morning on Astro we have a repeat of the Hull KR - Catalans game, for fear that the Samoa - Scotland game will not be shown in the other code on the other channel.

SC

* To be fair, the match is still not up on youtube, and the excitement is somewhat dissipated by the week's delay...

It was a dismal night last night in Hull - cold, rainy and a soggy wet pitch.

Chris Welham stretchered off with a turned ankle - torn ligaments - or a broken leg?

After a kick on the last tackle, the ball bounces around out of control and Catalans slide over for the first score after about fifteen minutes

And I'm going to be even more intermittent, from now on, as I've finally found a text commentary on the Samoa - Scotland game or on twitter http://twitter.com/Scotlandteam

but before you go... Hull KR 6 - 4 Catalans after a series of penalties by Catalans

And Catalasn struggling to hold on to the ball in the cold and the rain. Its not like that at Apia Park, though... over thirty degrees... Scotland scraping it 10 - 9 after 51 minutes, by the way

KR pressurising the Catalan line and a tremendous tackle comes in, knocking the ball flying

"Where did that come from"

"It came from offside"

Penalty in front of the sticks, but KR run it, and a few tackles, a kick, and the ball is kicked out dead by Catalans

SC

Its tipping down sheets of stair-rods now, and the temporary lights at Craven Park are casting long shadows; its like a monsoon, but fifteen or twenty degrees cooler...

Elsewhere, Samoa have scored to take a 16-10 lead, Scotland pressuring the Samoa line, lamont forced into touch...

Still 6 - 4 in Hull, Catalans struggling to play the ball correctly; they've given away three scrums since half-time.

And Lincoln Withers dives over and slides in for another try - but he didn't pick the ball up!

A penalty takes Catalans up to 30 metres out,,,

Catalans go for two points after a high tackle - 6 points apiece

A Catalan kick, a slow-pickup is hacked forward by Catalans, richochets from foot to foot, and Hull KR drop out from under the sticks... there's a bit of a swing in the Catalans' step now...

And a kick through by the Robins sees ...

... HARLEY TRY on DEBUT! ...

Lincoln Withers score to put Hull KR ahead

SC

EDIT: From a Mike Blair pass from a scrum after a charge-down of a Samoan clearance... Samoa 16 - 17 Scotland in the time added on for stoppages... and that's the way it finishes, as Scotland wrap their tour up with a clean sheet of wins.

Sorry Bonobo, back on topic, I promise...

And Catalans are pressuring the Robins ferociously till they kick out from their own thirty, and its Catalans' turn to try and work the ball out from their own half...ten minutes to go, HKR lead 10 - 6

Catalans take the ball forward, kick to the corner and Greenshields dives onto it to touch down a bobbling ball - can Scott Dureau kick from the sideline to take the lead? No - 10 -10

And Scott Dureau has pinched it with a drop goal!

HKR kick out to the safest (oldest, anyway) hands in the park, and Steve Menzies loses the ball in the messing around on the ground. Two minutes to go... and Steve menzies charges down a drop goal attempt and Catalans force a knock-on... Catalans need to keep it steady for 80 seconds... a high tackle and a bit of handbags breaks out ... 45 seconds ... and another penalty, the frustration boils over and Catalans will take a kick at the posts to make it 10 - 13

My apologies gentlemen, we're 12 minutes into the game already, and Warrington have just pulled one back (can I say that) to make it to 6 - 10 at the Halliwell Jones

Penalty for ripping to Warrington and a further ten yards for hands in the face during the tackle

"... and that's a soft try given away by Warrington, and that's a third try for Hull in the first quarter"

What's going on, gents? Where's the wire 'fence?

And now Warrington have scored again - Reilly in the corner, I believe - I was momentarily distracted...

And again! Warrington into the lead for the first time 18 - 16

"... but Hull have got Warrington right back on their line and the way Warrington have been defending they look a bit vulnerable

Penalty to Hull... Hull held up at the line, with three miniutes to go to half time

and the ball goes wide, Seymour passes and Joel Monaghan picks it up... and Warrington Lee Briers kicks out on the full going for a 40 - 20...

SC

And right at the end of the first half, Hull kick a penalty to level the scores at 18 - 18

Hull have a man sin-binned for holding down and delaying the play-the-ball, and Warrington score to take the lead

Warrington 24 - 18 Hull, after trailing 10-0 and 16-6 in the first half

Sorry lads, I was helping BigJ round up his poultry .. I think Willie Manu has been sent off for Hull.

SC

And Warrington are building up a big lead now - Warrington clinical in the second half, after a period of composure

Hull have played well, but too much defending but they've just run out of steam - they've not put pressure on the Warrington backs

Hull have been trying to slow Warrington down by illegal means

36 - 18

And Hull do not have the energy to get back into the game - 40 - 18

and that's the way that it ends.

SC

crying.gif

Congrats yet again SC....our season is falling apart after such a bright start.

I guess its a matter of hanging in there, and beating your peers when you play them; eight or nine games to go yet...

SC

So what's the plans for this week-ends fixtures?

Most of the better Aussie Teams are witout their Origin players for game 3 on Wednesday night.

Tonight, Firday night see's only one game in the NRL between The Cronulla Sharks and the Brisbane Broncos.

Brisbane loses Sam Thaiday, Petero Civoniceva, Corey Parker, Justin Hodges, Ben Hannant, Matt Gillett and Ben Te’o.

While the Sharks only lose Paul Gallen and playmaker Todd Carney.

It's been a cool clear night here in Brisbane but preceeding we've had a week of rain only stopping yesterday.

Last time they met it was Round 21 2011 - Broncos 46 bt Sharks 16 at Suncorp Stadium.

My prediction is that the 'Baby Broncos' will tackle their buts off in a low scoring game.

Most of the better Aussie Teams are witout their Origin players for game 3 on Wednesday night.

Tonight, Firday night see's only one game in the NRL between The Cronulla Sharks and the Brisbane Broncos.

Brisbane loses Sam Thaiday, Petero Civoniceva, Corey Parker, Justin Hodges, Ben Hannant, Matt Gillett and Ben Te’o.

It's been a cool clear night here in Brisbane but preceeding we've had a week of rain only stopping yesterday.

Last time they met it was Round 21 2011 - Broncos 46 bt Sharks 16 at Suncorp Stadium.

My prediction is that the 'Baby Broncos' will tackle their buts off in a low scoring game.

I have another appointment this evening, so I won't be able to catch that - a shame, as I enjoy watching the Broncos.

I do have, at 3 am, as preparation for Saturday morning working, Warrtington in Barton-upon-Irwell to meet Salford. You may recall that the previous time that they met, at the Halliwell Jones, Salford ran Warrington close for a while "and it was a different Salford side from that which..." I forget, but got trounced the week previousl;y by someone. I don't think it was literally a different Salford side, but we'll see which side of the one that they have to offer appears tonight.

Its a bit harsh to expect anyone to play well at that time of the morning, but if Italy and EDIT: Spain (shows how little attention I pay) can do it (oops - roundball digression), then surely Wire and Salford will be up for it.

SC

Send me a PM about 9.30 am Brisbane time on Saturday morning to wake me up to go to work... Thanks!

Melbourne always collapse around this time o year as well.. Only temporarily though.

"And Richard Silverwood says 'we're off and running' at Salford City Stadium", Barton-on-Irwell, but Astro say we have to endure another half hour of athletics, so you'll get the benefit of rhe radio commentary for the time being.

Ray French is at Langtree Park, where the ISDN lines are down, but we're at Salford - Warrington.

"Here's a break for Salford and who's going to be first on the ... that's a cracking tackle but has he stretched out... and has Mattie Blythe's inadvertent touch on the ball ... Danny Williams tucks ht under his arm" and Salford score the first try. and Danny Holdsworth adds the extras.

Now here's a dilemma - Astro has come on with the game running ten minutes behind the radio... I think I'll abandon the radio

And its all Salford, this evening. Warrington drop out from under the sticks... ...

Penalty to Warrington, but they don't make much ground, playing into a fierce wind. now last tackle, a kick through,and Salford are forced to drop out from the goal line - and look at the distance on that kick. Warrington knock on at the play the ball... "Warrington have rarely had to defend for such a length of time" but they manage to force the attack wide over the touch line, and here they are, working the ball back up the park, but they're still in their own half on the last tackle.

And another fumble by Stefan Ratchford but its given as a penalty against ??? lying offside...

Oh and Warrington have dropped the ball in the tackle! Salford again kick it back to the Warrington goal line

Oh my word! and Broughton goes in for Salford's second try in the opposite corner, following a penalty for a dangerous tackle. Jodie Broughton for England on Wednesday?

And Big Adrian Morley comes off the bench to settle things down, but Warrington give away another penalty for malarky in the tackle. Will Warrington suffer for resting some of their key players - Lee Briers

Helpmaboab - and there's a third, as Salford play the ball in front of the Warrinton sticks, a dab through and Vinnie Anderson lands on it to score!

And Salford break from the middle of the park, through the hands, and Patten score beneath the posts... 24-0 to Salford

And in return, Warrington give away ANOTHER penalty

Apparently no side has ever come back from 24-0 down at half time to win in Superleague.

And Salford are still throwing the ball around - they want more before the change-ends and they have to play into the wind

SC

Warrington kick through "and that's too far" "No it isn't" and it hits the upright and Patten's face says it all "Oh no" writ large on the full-back's face and Stefan Ratchford chasing through pounces on it to pull one back (oo err missus) for Warrington - 24 - 6 with a few minutes of the first half to go

Oh - and Trent Waterhouse knocks on, but Salford lose it in the tackle, and now Danny Williams gives away a penalty and Warrington have a minute to ... and Chris Reilly ducks under one tackle, pushes on and Warrington are ten metres out. The kick through bobbles about and Salford can't get hands to it, but it bounces dead. So half-time Salford 24 - 6 Warrington

And elsewhere...

St Helens 26 - 16 Hull KR - Ray French will be enjoying that, if he can get an ISDN line that works for his commentary

Wigan 16 - 18 Bradford

Are there actually any English players that run around in the league?

Or is just the ex Aussies and KIWI's who provide the moments of commentary inflections?

OH ... Wakefield ... you never cover any Wakefield games ... is there a bias there?

EDIT:- just re-read what I typed ... seemed like a moan ... wasn't my intention ... ermm.gif

Are there actually any English players that run around in the league?

Or is just the ex Aussies and KIWI's who provide the moments of commentary inflections?

OH ... Wakefield ... you never cover any Wakefield games ... is there a bias there?

EDIT:- just re-read what I typed ... seemed like a moan ... wasn't my intention ... ermm.gif

Warrington in particular seem to have a lot of Aussies, though there's actually only three or four of them in the Exiles squad.

And of course Lee Briers is Welsh...

David Solomona is stretched out cold - I think he went into the shin of the following-up tackler. And he's standing up, having a word with the doctor

"I'm not concussed, doctor, its you that's blurred and out of focus"

And Salford start off with more of the same as Jodie Broughton goes in at the corner after the ball is spun out wide from the centre of the park

Oh~ And Trent Waterhouse hangs on too long after the tackle and gives away a penalty on the last tackle to give Salford another attacking opportunity and matty Smith slices through the Warrington defence to score under the post "where was the Warrington defence, he just tip-toed through them"

And Salford break from their own half, down the right side, great passing, Mattie Smith is hauled down a couple of metres short and Vinnie Anderson goes over from acting-half Slaford 40 - 6 Warrington; I'd have not believed it if I'd got up to read it on the scores in the morning... And Warrington kick it out on the full with the wind behind them

OFFS! And as Warrington bring it back the ball goes loose and a red shirt lands on it... but as Salford break again the ball goes forward.

And Warrington start again and AGAIN Bridge tries a desperate off-load that gives possession back to Salford... and again Salford break; again the ball is spun wide, drawing the tackle then off-loading and Williams scores on the right touchline Salford 44 - 6 Warrington

And again, Salford attack, with a scrum 15 metres out from the Warrington line... the kick through but Chris Bridge brings it back in to the field of play.

And Warrington break - they've got three men out wide but Jodie Broughton intercepts - knocks the ball down

And Richie Myler cuts through and dances round the defence to score beside the posts with less than 20 minutes left ... 44-12

and elsewhere, the Robins have come back from 26-0 to lead St Helens at Langtree Park 26 - 28 - a new come-back record, if it stands for the remaining quarter hour...

And Reilly goes in for another try in the corner "have Salford put the queue on the rack too early?" 44 - 18...

And from the kick-off Mccarthy brings the ball back 50 metres, only to end with a forward pass.

And now Salford break, but a shoulder charge knocks the ball flying forward .. six minutes to go and Warrington are working out of their own 20 metre mark

And Warrinton are pushing right, left and Salford dive through to knock on and Warrington push against the line againand a great pass from Ratchford to Matty Blythe - 44 - 24 with a few minutes to go...

And I've put on the radio manchester - "Bradford have pulled off a sensational victory to give Wigan their first defeat for eleven games" Wigan 22 - 30 Bradford, and at Barton-on-Irwell Patten breaks through for another try in the corner for Salford 48 - 24

And Silverwood blows full-time. Warrington well-beaten, Salford clearly the better side.

SC

Well, I'm frightened to go back to bed for a couple of hours before work, for fear of nightmares.

Though I suppose it might be a more prudent option than running the risk of waking up screaming half way through my meeting...

SC

I've got Leeds Rhinos v London Broncos on the wireless just now; I don't fancy trawling the internet for Catalans Wakefield - last Catalans game against Warrington, all I could get was on a telephone commentary on radio Narbonne, and it was dreadful, I could not understand pas un mot. As Edith Piaf said, Non, je ne comprends rien.

Anyway, Leeds are putting up a bit of a gap against London coming up to half time, London 6 - Leeds 24

I don;t think I can be bothered sitting through the second half (what a relief, I hear you cry...)

I'm off to bed, I think

SC

Archived