Live Rugby League

Warrington intercept on their own five metres, but Myler's pulled down, probing the Saints defence, and they'r passing left and right, back and forth and Simon Grix, who'll be on the Green side in Belfast, has touched the ball down; he dives through two or three tacklers like a pinball and Brett Hodgson is lining up - two more...

STH 14 -12 WAR

And that's the way the first half ends...

... and how the second half begins...

Warrington receive the kick-off, and bring it back. St Helens kick from 40 metres out, it bounces and falls to Makeson and he's bundled into touch. Warrington are back under pressure...an early kick sees St helens stopped on their 30.

Warrington are penalised for the St Helens tackler knocking the ball out of the runner's hand, and Warrington are back on the defensive. It looks like the Warrington defence will be struggling with tiredness soon. Hodgsin fearlessly takes a high ball just as the tackler comes in. And Warrington are getting over the half way line, but no further

Saints kick from their own 40; Warrington keeping the ball alive, into the Saints half Mike ooper carries the Saints defence few metres more, a hivgh kick and Joel Monaghan scores in a wrestle with the St Helens defender, and the Wire are in the front again, this game is going to the wire! What a great towering kick from Lee Briers

Uh Worry Worry ! Worry Worry Worry Worry Warrington and Hodgson adds 2 more, STH 14 - 18 WAR. Could this be time for a Tsing Tao?

SC

Edited by StreetCowboy

STH 14 -12 WAR

SC

sorry for the delay gents.

thanks for keeping my seat warm.

speaking of warm ... sadly the pie is lower on the kelvin scale.

doesn't any know howadays to microwave a pie?

The St Helens crowd is jubilant, and I don't think I've ever seen a pretty girl at a rugby league game before.

Why is it that most of the pretty girls go to the Union and not the league games.

Is it a better class of spectator.

Would the above comment be classed as speculating?

And the satellite has dropped out - so we'll post a quick 999 emergency call to Ray and Allen...

"A terrific following for Warrington away to our right at Langtree Park'

"Very much so..."

Briers turns Mackeson, and Warrington chase. The defence is up quickly. Josh Perry runs a few propforward metres... Lomax kicks downfield but Joel Monaghan fields on his own thirty, and they're up to half way on the second tackle.

STH 14 -12 WAR

SC

sorry for the delay gents.

thanks for keeping my seat warm.

speaking of warm ... sadly the pie is lower on the kelvin scale.

doesn't any know howadays to microwave a pie?

You'd need to ask a pie eater, but they're out now since last night...

Chris Hill is down and bleeding after a collision as Johnnie Lomax kicked downfield.

Twenty minutes to go..

Again Mike Copper drives through,

Briers kicks for Joel Monaghan who palms it back, but Saint Helns take it, Melli breaks but he's brought down.

Lomax up to the Warrington 40,

The kick finds Reilly hes stifled in his own ten metres, but a penalty will releive the pressure as Saints are picked up offside.

Ryan Atkins slices through the Saints defence, then as he's hauled down, he passes to Trent Waterhouse who goes over near the posts, and Warrington open up a little daylight...

STH 14 - 24 WAR

Bennie Westwood takes offence at a high clout from John Wilkins, who goes on report. And another Warrington penalty puts them in an attacking position again...

Trent Waterhouse breaks free from the tackle, spins and falls over the try line, but there's some doubt about obstruction -but not in the mind of the video referee, though the Sky commentators are shaking their heads...

and Warrington stretch their lead, and Hodgson pulls their lead further... The commentators are still whinging...

but ..."...you're not singing any more"

STH 14 - 30 WAR

Belting tackles as Warrington defend on the front foot, and Saints lose the ball.

Lee Briers almost gets through, but he's felled, the ball comes out to Chris Reilly on the touch line and surely that's it... 15 seasons and at last Warrington are on their way to Old Trafford. Aren't they?

Adrian Morely watches... he played in 1998 at Old Trafford in the first Grand Final there, he went to Australia and won a grand final there, and he's going to the fifteenth grand final at Old Trafford again,,, and the Saints supporters are on the brink of tears... 12 minutes to go

STH 14 - 34 WAR, and I can tell you, those Tsing Tao are pretty pish, they hardly last a minute...

SC

Edited by StreetCowboy
  • Like 1

But there's still ten minutes to go, and Warrington are defending their ten metre line; Melli takes it on the touch line, and he spins along the touch line, and touches down - he's not on the line, he's on the green green grass of home - and they're all smiling sweetly ! Or does his toe touch the chalk as he rocks forward - no Phil Bentham gives the green light to say he was on the green.... but the angle is too much for Makeson...

STH 18 - 34 WAR

Seven minutes, and Warrington will defend like Trojans... St Helens are attakcing hard, though, passing in the tackle, but as Saints kick through, TReilly fields it and Saints give away a penalty infront of the kicker. And another penalty for wrestling beyond the call... Lee Briers is marshalling his troops, calming them down, keeping them on track... and this penalty is stroked over for another two points.

Tony Smith will take his second team to the Grand Final, to face his former club... and they're commending Phil Bentham

Saints attack the Warrington line but they can't find a way through. Warrington win a scrum, and Lee Briers is looking smart and delighted - he;s got a new haircut, and he'll be looking for a new suit for Old Trafford as well....

Saints have the ball, 30 seconds to go... 10 seconds and there's the hooter and Lee Briers amn of the match

A repeat of the Challenge Cup Final, but will the outcome be the same? No team has yet won the Challenge Cup and the Superleague Grand Final double

Will Warrington manage it on their first trip to Old Trafford?

SC

• Like 1

SC....you didn't even open an Irn Bru....such is your confidence....saving them for the Grand Final....congratulations to your side!

I cracked one open at the start of the second half - a full fat orange tin, and it was all that we needed. The sugar, the caffeine, the ammonium ferric citrate - unstoppable

SC

• Like 1

Tomorrow afternoon, in a change from our usual programming, though still on topic, we have the inappropriately named NRL, featuring the top franchises from Eastern Australia and New Zealand.

Next weekend, the European Superleague Grand Final, with teams from either end of the M62, in a repeat of the Challenge Cup Final at Wembley in August, Warrington, in their first Grand Final, meet Leeds, current holders and triumphant finalists in 2009, 2008, 2007 and 2004.

The following weekend, Scotland entertain Ireland in Edinburgh (probably not live on Astro...) and then ireland host England Knights in Belfast. Then the big boys kick off, with England going to Glendwr University Racecourse Stadium in Wales, while the England Knights go to Edinburgh; it's not the Calcutta Cup, but maybe its the Bradford Balti Dish... On 3rd November, England host France at Craven Park in Hull, and then the final of the big boys' autumn tests will be held on Sunday 11th November at Salford City Stadium in Barton-on-Irwell, beside the locks.

After their abject failure to respond to public pressure regarding the macTavish Cup, I've not been pursuing Astro regarding the Autumn Internationals, and particularly the games from Meggetland; let's see what transpires....

SC

There's 83,000 people in the ANZ Stadium for the NRL Grand Final, plus me on the sofa watching on Astro...

Canterbury kick off; Melbourne complete their first set.

Canterbury complete their set, chase the kick and almost intercept....

7th minute, Hoffman stretches to touch down for Melbourne after a Bulldogs break has been called back for a knock-on contested high ball on the other side of the pitch

Ben Barbour mishandles a plummeting bomb and goes dead so Bulldogs are kicking out from under the posts.

Tony Archer and Ben Cummins in the pink shirts, by the way. Melbourne on their fourth set of six attacking the Canterbury line. Melbourne have had three goal line drop outs, three penalties, but Bulldogs have held them out conceding only a penalty - a MISSED PENALTY! James Graham in his seventh consecutive grand final, though he hasn't won since 2006 with St Helens...

Canterbury again defend their own goal line with watertight defence, and a penalty for offside as they bring the ball back sees them up into Melbourne territory.

And Canterbury's attack is finding gaps, a kick is stabbed through and Canterbury touch down. Some pushing and shoving breaks out, and then the fists start flailing... James Graham on report for biting Billy Slater's ear... sounds a bit boudoiry...

27 minutes, 4 -4 ...

Edited by StreetCowboy

The bulldogs defence holds firm, they break up the wing but lose the ball as the tackled winger hits the ground. Melbourne come back, Cronk feeds Slater who goes over for a second try

MEL 10 - 4 CAN

And Cronk puts a kick into the wing and O Neill takes it in the air and flies to ground for a third try; I'd have wanted to check he was on side, but the referee seems confident. "Melbourne! Melbourne!" rings round the ground.

14 - 4 at half time.

Edited by StreetCowboy

Why is James Graham not playing in the scrum? He's come on as a replacement in the centre...

In the second half, Billy Slater knocks on a long kick, and in the ensuing pressure, they're forced to kick out from under the posts.

Sustained pressure but the Melbourne defence is watertight, and again, Billy Slater is pressured to pat the ball dead.

Second goal line kick out...

Melbourne save the try - the attacker is held up over the line on the last tackle and the ball is turned over on the ten metre line

And now James Graham joins a defensive scrum in his customary prop position

Melbourne win a penalty by crawling into the marker's knees, but Cameron Smith kicks it to the left of the posts

Barbour breaks on the wing, kicks across, Josh Morris (?) dribbles forward, he gets a hand to the awkward bounce but Billy Slater is able to knock it dead, and Morris' last touch is counted as a knock on...

Melbourne kick high, Billy Slater pats back and Brian Norrie dives over to score by the posts, but its disallowed for Norrie offside

Edited by StreetCowboy

And all Canterbury's pressure can't come up with an other score; Melbourne up to half way and kick long, with only a minute to go.

Billy Slater shepherds the ball into touch and the hooter goes before Canterbury can restart. Melbourne 14 - 4 Canterbury,

SC

SC ... how did the Australian commentators compare to the Poms?

... assuming of course that you listened to the Aussie feed?

No-one can compare to Ray French and Allan Rooney

"No, they can't, Ray, not at all, not on the eurr" but now that I watch most of the games on Astro, the Sky commentators, whose names elude me, are not so distinctive. The Australians seemed more prone to digression and small-talk.

I like Robbie Nock who commentates the French Top XIV.

I'm thinking next weekend for the Grand Final I might listen live on the radio, and then watch the replay the next day on Astro. Luckily the game's on Saturday...

SC

SC ... I know it's not usual for here but some background on the Aussies in that deciding game.

Fresh off Melbourne's victory in the NRL grand final, the international league spotlight turns to England for the Super League Grand Final between Warrington and Leeds.

History awaits both teams as the two giants of the sport go head to head in the annual decider at Old Trafford LIVE on Eurosport from 4am on Sunday 7/10.

Warrington, who defeated St Helens 36-18 to qualify for their first ever Super League final, can become the first team since 2006 to claim the unique domestic league and Challenge Cup double.

The Wolves defeated Leeds 35-18 in the Challenge Cup final and will look to Aussies Brett Hodgson, Trent Waterhouse and Joel and Michael Monaghan to repeat that performance.

Ex-NRL stars Hodgson and Waterhouse along with skipper Adrian Morley can create further history by becoming owners of dual NRL and Super League premierships.

The trio tasted victory in Australia with Wests Tigers, Penrith and Roosters respectively and will be out to etch their names in rugby league folklore.

Warrington coach Tony Smith, himself a former St George Dragon, said it was exciting times for the club and was confident of producing the win.

"We're very excited, very proud and it's great to be part of another big match," Smith said.

"We've been progressing towards this and learning lots along the way after many years of trying."

The Rhinos, who are in their fifth final in six years, can also create history by becoming the most successful team in the 17 years of the Super League.

Leeds have won four grand finals since 2007, all against St Helens, and can become the first team to win six Super League premierships on Sunday.

The defending champions edged past minor premiers Wigan Warriors 13-12 en route to the final and will look to playmaker Kevin Sinfield and Aussie utility forward Brett Delaney for inspiration.

HERE

Sadly, because it's on the EUROSPORT channel on cable, it won't be on the free to air channel, which is a shame because I would have loved to watched the game. Don't mind a bit of pommie footy.

• Like 1

SC ... I know it's not usual for here but some background on the Aussies in that deciding game.

Fresh off Melbourne's victory in the NRL grand final, the international league spotlight turns to England for the Super League Grand Final between Warrington and Leeds.

History awaits both teams as the two giants of the sport go head to head in the annual decider at Old Trafford LIVE on Eurosport from 4am on Sunday 7/10.

Warrington, who defeated St Helens 36-18 to qualify for their first ever Super League final, can become the first team since 2006 to claim the unique domestic league and Challenge Cup double.

The Wolves defeated Leeds 35-18 in the Challenge Cup final and will look to Aussies Brett Hodgson, Trent Waterhouse and Joel and Michael Monaghan to repeat that performance.

Ex-NRL stars Hodgson and Waterhouse along with skipper Adrian Morley can create further history by becoming owners of dual NRL and Super League premierships.

The trio tasted victory in Australia with Wests Tigers, Penrith and Roosters respectively and will be out to etch their names in rugby league folklore.

Warrington coach Tony Smith, himself a former St George Dragon, said it was exciting times for the club and was confident of producing the win.

"We're very excited, very proud and it's great to be part of another big match," Smith said.

"We've been progressing towards this and learning lots along the way after many years of trying."

The Rhinos, who are in their fifth final in six years, can also create history by becoming the most successful team in the 17 years of the Super League.

Leeds have won four grand finals since 2007, all against St Helens, and can become the first team to win six Super League premierships on Sunday.

The defending champions edged past minor premiers Wigan Warriors 13-12 en route to the final and will look to playmaker Kevin Sinfield and Aussie utility forward Brett Delaney for inspiration.

HERE

Sadly, because it's on the EUROSPORT channel on cable, it won't be on the free to air channel, which is a shame because I would have loved to watched the game. Don't mind a bit of pommie footy.

I'm just watching a repeat of the England - Exiles game from earlier in the season. I can't remember the result, so I'm quite enjoying it....

SC

Good afternoon. ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls; and how are you preparing for the Grand Final, the climax of the rugby season? Are you sat in traffic on the M62, fretting about where you're going to get parked on the way to Old Trafford?

Are you watching the South Africa New Zealand Union game, in eager anticipation of the Autumn tests? Or are you hiding behind the sofa, prayng that last night's match report of the Edinburgh 22 - 27 Zebre game will change before we meet the All Blacks at Murrayfield?

EDIT: SA 16 - 32 NZ, which has got to be a confidence booster, ahead of their trip to Murrayfield in the autumn....

Edited by StreetCowboy

And I'm sure you;re as pleased as I am to hear that it's Ray French and Allan Rooney on the BBC this evening, so, as advertised, we'll play it by ear, and then watch the game tomorrow with 20 - 20 hindsight.

A round of applause rings round Old Trafford as Ray French reads out the team lists.

There's Jason Robinson ('hello'), Gary Hetherington, chairman of Leeds Rhinos ('Im anticipating a Rhinos win') - look; there's Stuart Pierce the England under-21s soccer manager. Can you see Bradley Wiggens? What about Pete Waterman - he's a Warrington fan. Look, there's my mate Steve, and his daughter Christina! My, how she's grown in the last 12 years.

What a crowd, by the way.

And the Astro is lagging the BBC by a few minutes...

Kevin Sinfield and Adrian Morley lead their teams out to the pitch...

There's still a few odd seats empty up high in the stands at Old Trafford, and behind the big screen

SC

• Like 1

Lee Briers kicks off... Richard Silverwood will be keeping them square this evening

Warrington make a break; up to Leeds 20, a kick and warrington are held up, but its back for a knock on (?) and Richie Myler are in for a try.

Ray is apologising for droppign out because of the surrounding noise, but its not a drop out, Warrington have scored the first try. Let's hope it continues like this for a tedious and depressing one-side game...

WAR 6 - 0 LEE

Warrington back on the attack, and Briers kicks long downfield...

Warrington pressure on Leeds..

Refereee doing a good job keeoing the ten metres between the teams

Leeds pick up a knock-on, but they lose th ball, and back for a scrum in the middle of the park to Leeds

Edited by StreetCowboy

A kick on the last tackle sees Joel Monaghan not field it, and Kevin Sinfield dives over to touch down, and it;s 6 - 6 when the conversion goes over....

I can't believe I sat through that SA - NZ game getting pissed in the Gas-haus...

I've just cracked a can of full-fat irn bru, by the way. Desperate times, desperate measuress...

Edited by StreetCowboy

Kevin Sinfield going for a penalty kick to take the lead...

Sinfield stesp back for a drop goal, but Leeds break and Ben Jones-Bishop broke through three players to score...

Leeds score again to make it WAR 6 - 14 LEE

SC

But a great oong pass to Joel Monaghan on the wing sees Warrington climb back to 10 - 14

Edited by StreetCowboy

And I lost coverage as Hodgson brought the scores level... 14 - 14

And they're back on after half time

Helpmagoodness - and those girls are pretty by the standards of rugby league...

Warrington break, kick down field but it bounces dead

Leeds holding it in the forwards..

Warrington back and Leeds can't hold them up

OIOH AND RYAN ATKINS IN IN THE CORNER!

Three men in front of him but you're not stopping Ryan Atkins, and he's over in the corner

Ryan Atkins' two hundredth career appearance, 23 tries in the superleague for Warrington., Brett Hodgson from out on the near touchline, ooow its gone across in front of the posts,,,,

WAR 18 - 14 LEE

Leeds attack and win another set of six 15 metres out, Warrington penalised for off their line, Sinfiled takes a short kick brought down a metre short, five tackles remaining, Burrow, Macguire, not such a good kick

"that was awful play" straight to Monaghan.

Lee Briers taking different options on the kicks...

rhinos inside the Warrington half...

Penalty to Leeds on the Warrington line...

Pushed back

Right to Sinfield and Leeds lose possession!

Leeds attack again, but can't make progress on the last tackle and Warrington inch up to half way and kick deep.

Rhinos working out of their own 30. Pecock for Rhinos... Lunt Macguire... Ablett... Burrow Penalty to Leeds for holding back.

Edited by StreetCowboy

Another set of six and Ablett brings it to the try line in the corner, and it looks like Ablett has gone over for a try

Glasgow leading 12 - 3 in Cardiff at half time, though...

Sinfield kicks to take the lead for Leeds WAR 18 - 20 LEE

Simon Grix down the far touch line but Leeds keep them out; overhead kick picked up by Leeds.

Hosgson knocks the ball behind him, and Tony Smith is throwing on his crafty old foxes, Mickey higham comes on... Briers kicks straight upfield "I can hardly recognise Lee Briers with his hair cut"

"He's changed his hair style, but I think he needs to change his kick"

Edited by StreetCowboy

Warrington break, and they win a second set of six but they knock on....

Eleven minutes to go, Leeds still leading 20 - 18

Mickey Higham ges racing through but he can't get it away, Warrington knock on and Leeds attack inside the Warrington half

and Leeds overwhelm Warrington with weight of numbers, keeping the ball live, with great support and Ryan Hall touches down...Kevin Sinfield stretches the lead to 26 - 18

Warrington recover the kick-off; Leeds a metre out; three metres out; a long pass out and Ratchford can't get it

Five minutes to go...

And what a kick by Burrow, Leeds get a 40 - 20 attacking the Warrington try line. Warrington need to get the ball back, and then do something 'pretty spectacular'....

Leeds pressuring the Warrington try line, Sinfield threatens the drop goal but he's dragged down, Warrington tap out... Surely its all over for Warrington - 80 metres to go, and needing to score twice in two minutes.

"A sterling effort from Warrington, nut jost not quite enough" against a champion side, 90 seconds away from winning the Stobart Superleague Grand Final from fifth position in the League for the second year running.

Warrington take the ball from a scrum in their own half, Warrington looking for an eight point penalty try....but a knock on sees Warrington squander their overlap and Leeds have a scrum

"I have to say, Ray, Leeds have just about been the better team and Sinfield well-deserved man of the match"

"I wouldn't say 'just about' Allan..."

and thanks to John Fieldhouse who has joined Ray and Allan in the commentary box, and the nice girls from Tetley Walker's brewery for the refreshments.

So Warrington, Challenge Cup Winners, and runner's up in the Grand Final and in the League. Leeds win their fifth Grand Final in six years

Warrington Wolves 18 - 26 Leeds Rhinos

Edited by StreetCowboy

Tony Smith congratulating his successful opposition, and the Warrington players are in tears...

and now they'll start building for next year

but we're looking forward to the Alitalia European Cup, that kicks off next weekend at Meggetland in Edinburgh with Scotland v Ireland

And Leeds take their winners' medals.... well-deserved finishers to the climax of the season, and Kevin Sinfield takes the microphone to address the fans and thank his opponents, the officials (some good-natured boos), the sponsors, and the fans, and he lifts up the trophy - Leeds 2012 Superleague Champions!

Brian McDermott is lost for words...

SC

• Like 1