Live Rugby League

Another cracker of a game, Ryan Hall will be wishing he'd not cut his finger nails this morning, a millimetre away from getting downward pressure on the ball as he dived over the top of Cherry-Evans, I think.

So next weekend England have to beat tournament leaders New Zealand, and hope that Samoa can beat Australia for the first time

SC

It was over Inglis.. I thought they were going to give it based on the still frames, but was never a try if you see it in motion.

I didn't enjoy watching it much. Apart from Australia being the weakest Kangaroo side I have seen, There was hardly anyone there and this tournament was the wrong time to be wearing the retro kit. Should have played in Townsville in the daytime in colours that the crowd relate to.

Having watched most of the NRL games this season along with the Samoa game last week I've got to say today's England V NZ game was full on action from start to finish and one of the best if not the best game I've watched this year.

• Like 1

Having watched most of the NRL games this season along with the Samoa game last week I've got to say today's England V NZ game was full on action from start to finish and one of the best if not the best game I've watched this year.

I think Superleague is much more harum-scarum than the NRL. The NRL is like clockwork - 1 -2 -3 - 4 -5 - kick.

It's interesting to see the common aspects of the All Blacks and the New Zealand team - a lot of off-loading from the tackle, rather than passing beforehand.

SC

I've recklessly arranged another engagement at the time of the final, so I'll watch the recording, later in the evening. The Scotland New Zealand game doesn't appear to be live on Astro, unfortunately (apologies to Bonobo for the off-topic digression)

SC

• 2 months later...

First round of the Challenge Cup Final next weekend, though I doubt any of the fixtures will be on True.

And then, the following week, Superleague kicks off with Wigan in Widnes on Thursday, Saint Helens entertain Catalans and then on Saturday Warrington host their A57 neighbours Salford

SC

And that's the Wembley dream over for another year for Aberdeen Warriors. And the Army, the RAF and Leigh Miners, amongst many others. Fortunately, although we may have lost interest in the Challenge Cup, Superleague kicks off on Thursday

SC

Welcome to the Deutsche Gasthaus, and, by the magic of the internet, to the Halliwell Jones in Warrington.

Ten minutes gone, and Salford have missed out on two opportunities. Warrington win the first penalty of the afternoon, and they find themselves in the Salford 30 for the first time.

And we're blessed with the commentary of Ray French and Allan Rooney

Warrington trying to prise the door open, but Salford keep it shut " that was terrific defence by Salford because Warrington attacked with all four cylinders...." - that seems like damning with faint praise - I'm sure Warrington would prefer to be compared to a V8, or at least a straight six.

"I know its early days, Allan, but this seems to be a different Salford from the one you and I saw last season"

"Very much so, Ray"

And Salford win the second penalty "It's very entertaining, Allan"

Rangi Chase dummies, shows and goes, superb handling by Theo Farge but Ben Jones-Bishop can't take the pass and Salford have missed out on a try for the third time. The Warrington crowd are a little surprised by this Salford team

"I saw Salford three or four time last season, and they were very disappointing, but they seem to have done well with their buys this season"

The Salford defence are moving in very quickly, and Daryl Clarke has been kept very quiet

"I think Mickey Higham would make a big impact, Allan"

And Warrington are up to the Red Devils 20 metre line

Joel Monaghan is pulled down by three Salford players 10 metres out "Ohh ! Shocking pass"

"No, its come of a Salford player, another set of six"

"But we must complement the Salford defence, Ray, the sliding defence ...."

And that's the handover and Salford start to work the ball up - Rangi Chase kicks long, to Stefan Ratchford, Penny "terrific running by Penny he beats one man, he beats two men, Penny plays the ball, pass out to Joel Monaghan OHHH! HE'S DROPPED IT!"

And Rangi Chase kicks a penalty for holding down, depp into midfield

Edited by StreetCowboy

And here's a chance for Salford, a metre from the Warrington line with four tackles to go - "AND I THINK HE'S SCORED"

"No, he's saying he's held up, Allan"

And Warrington win a penalty for off-side, and still no score

Ratchford beats one man, and Myler breaks through down the middle - Ratchford is playing at full back in the absence of Scotland star Matty Russell. And Stefan Ratchford adds two more points to Myler's four

And Mickey Higham has scored while I was checking out the Italy - Ireland game, and the chicks walking past.

Just goes to show the importance of concentration and focus.

And again Ratchford adds the extras to take a 12 - 0 advantage as half time approaches

Salford win a penalty "I'm quite impressed with this Salford team,Allan, whatever the score"

But Salford can't get over the line

Another penalty with two minutes to go, and ex-Warrington prop Adrian Morley brings the ball forward

Richie Myler kicks a long drop goal effort but it goes under the cross-bar in the last play of the first half

Edited by StreetCowboy

And it's all kicked off again at the Halliwell Jones

Salford still down to 12 men - did I not mention that earlier? for constant off-side

The Salford kick ricochets off a Warrington player, but Warrington knock on

Mickey Higham is penalised for a late shoulder charge on Rangi Chase - Chase doesn't seem too bothered

"Dobson puts it up in the eurr, can he get it down?" - Warrington take it out from their 10 metre line

And Rangi Chase breaks with a 3 to 1 overlap but he overcooks it and Warrington get the ball dead to drop out from under their posts

"It's a good game of rugby - OOH That's a high tackle, no doubt about it" and Bennie Westwood is lucky to get away with a yellow card

12 play 12, but Warrington still lead 12 - 0

And Ryan Atkins picks up a little kick to the left corner for Warrington's third score

And if you'll allow a lttle Scottishly Fitba' digression, Livingston, bottom of the championship, have equalised against runaway league leaders Hearts

And Salford get on the score sheet at last with a well deserved try but still trail 18 - 4

Gareth Hock breaks for Salford, a pass away, pulled down metres from the Warrinfton line, a little grubber through, but it's too strong and Warrington can bring the ball back. Penalty by Corry patterson with a late shoulder charge on Gareth O Brien

And another try by Warrington wraps the game up, surely, at 22- 4, The conversion drifts wide....

Edited by StreetCowboy

The Wire are playing in Hull on Friday night - I'll not be getting up at the crack of gloom for that. Sorry, Smokie, perhaps you can fill me in

- Sorry - I don't mean that to sound like a challenge to a fight, I mean could you let us know how the game goes, if you watch it.

Wakey host Hull KR, if anyone is interested, on Sunday (3 pm kickoff - work out your own time differences)

• 1 month later...

I'm surprised no-one's posting about the Easter Monday fixtures - Warrington drawing with Castleford, in the company of James Child on the pitch, Steve Ganson in the video box and Ian Chisnell on the microphone, while Allan Rooney and Ray French are at the Halliwell Jones, where Hull FC lead Saints 12-16

Adam Milner breaks and scores under the posts to take a 16 - 10 lead with fourteen minutes to play, while Saints have clawed back the lead 18 - 16, but at Barton on Irwell, Wigan trail the Red Devils 12 - 8

Ben Currie charges down the kick, but the ball eludes him, Stefan Ratchford with a try-saving tackle but where are the Warrington defenders? They're all over the shop, and Warrington have been caught with the trousers down, two tries in two minutes, and the Halliwell Jones stadium has gone very quiet. Luke Gayle takes the extras and Warrington trail 10 - 22, and a few spectators are heading for the car park already

the Wire kick-off doesn't go ten metres, but the bounce falls nicely for Joel Monaghan, who can now take it legally

Edited by StreetCowboy

Nine minutes to go as Warrington form a scrum deep on the Castleford ten metre line.

Warrington five metres away, but Joel Monaghan can't get through, Westwood tries to make a gap that isn't there, Kevin Penny can't control the ball - can he? But what does Steve Ganson say? TRY!!!

Gareth O'Brien from the far touch line can't make the conversion, and Warrington still need to score twice in seven minutes to avoid their fourth straight superleague defeat.

Again, the ball goes up in the sky, Kevin Penny takes it, but the Wire fans on that side of the pitch are quiet - what will the call be here? James Child couldn't make up his mind, but Gareth O'Brien is not lining up for the conversion, but James Child is waiting for the official verdict from Steve Ganson. No try, Castleford restart with five minutes forty to go.

Warrington restart from the 20, and Ian Chisnell has given up hope already, and Warrington give away a knock-on, but Stefan Ratchford gets man of the match, despite being on the silver-medal side in this match.

Elsewhere, it's all level on 20 points at Langtree Park, Roberts kicks through and Ratchford has to kick the ball dead, and Warrington kick out from under the posts; the referee says the fumble went backwards, but the touch judge contradicted him and Warrington have a scrum deep in the Castleford half. Ratchford imagines a gap that isn't there, Penny takes the tackle, they attack on the short side and the ball is thrown into the advertising hoardings, and Castleford have a scrum 20 metres from their own line.
Hull have taken a 26-20 lead at Langtree Park, but at the Haliwell Jones, the home supporters are heading for the car park before the final hooter goes, and Warrington ship their fourth loss in four games, 14-22 losers to Castleford Tigers in front of 8,514 - not even a big crowd, for a Warrington game.
Edited by StreetCowboy

Hull stretch their lead with a penalty in front of the posts, 20 - 28, but I've gone to Barton On Irwell, where Marwan Koukash's Salford Red Devils are leading Wigan 18 - 8, but have to defend back to back sets of six.

Sounds like a good crowd at the AJ Bell, Anthony Gelling takes a swing following a bit of ill-natured jostling. John Bateman gets a yellow card, so does Hauraki,

A chance for Salford but Wigan have bodies in place, and last tackle for Salford, but Hampshire saves the day and wins a penalty for a high scragging; matty Smith clears the ball upfield, with thirteen minutes to go

Ryan Hampshire has scored under the sticks to give Wigan a lifeline

Salford have to defend a second set of six after a knock-down, but ... kick into the in-goal area, and Salford desperately boot the ball dead, for a goal line drop-out and a third Wigan set of six, but a jeer goes up as Larne Patrick knocks on, and Salford can relieve the pressure after this scrum, with eight minutes to go, Salford 18 - 14 Wigan...

Wigan are defending hard, and Salford only make 20 metres in five tackles, but a good kick sees Wiigan attacking from their own 10 m line - and it's all about to kick off in Perpignan with Catalans - Widnes.

Rangi Chase knocks on trying to strip the ball, but Wigan can't hold onto the ball, and Salford attack, Wigan struggling to get back, five tackles as Hanson goes down, and Wigan are forced to put the kick into touch, and Salford have a scrum on the Wigan 10 metre line.

Niall Evalds has scored! A second try for Evalds seals the game for the Red Devils, and its the pie eaters' turn to head for the car park, as the conversion extends the lead to 10 points, and Salford are up into third place in the league. Matty Smith kicks off short, but Salford field it, but again a bit of scuffle erupts, and Richard Silverwood goes over to sort it out - the disciplinary committee will be busy on Wednesday. Hauraki and Bateman pick up their second yellow cards in the final minutes and Wigan have not won away from home since July!

But WIgan never give up, and Burgess takes the ball and scores. Richard Silverwood stops the clock with 25 seconds, the ball hits the post and the Salford fans are counting down to the final hooter and Salford win 24 - 18.

And on Sunday, Salford will face Leeds with a team ravaged by suspensions.

Six and half thousand in the AJ Bell, the commentators reckon more than that

Edited by StreetCowboy

And we've got Ray French and Allan Rooney sat beside me here at the Halliwell Jones, virtually, by the magic of the BBC Radio and the wireless internet. for Wakefield Trinity WlidCats' visit to Warrington Wolves. Come on you Wire!

We had a few words from Swansea, where Everton are playing, and now Radio Merseyside seems to have dropped out. Hurry up lads, it's kick-off.

Somebody' probably nicked the wheels off the outside broadcast van...

Radio Leeds is still going - maybe Ray and Allan have popped out for a light refreshment - probably down to the Three Pigeons, or the Lord Rodney, but they'd better be looking sharp about getting back.

Jarrod Samut kicks off, Roy Asatase fields the ball, Stefan Ratchford btrings it up to half way, Gene Ormsby, and Warrington get to within ten metres of the Wakey line. And Radio Merseyside are off to the races, so we'll stick with Leeds.

Warrington steal the ball in the tackle, and Warrington are a metre out but Patton is turned on his back. The ball goes out Myler Ratchford cut-out to Monaghan and Monaghan is in, but called back for a forward pass - wakey - wakey, Wakey!

Wakey are struggling to build any pressure, and Warrington are over the half way in two tackles, and Gene Ormsby breaks through the defensive line, beats the full-back and scores; Kyle Wood is helping the commentator.

Warrington again building from their own half, Bennie Westwood gets 25 metres away from his own line, Warrington kick, and former Warrington winger Chris Riley fields the ball and brings it forward. Tim Smith pokes the ball forward with his toe but Ratchford collects; Warrington 25 metres out on the last tackle, but Richard Owen takes it cleanly and I've moved back over beside Ray and Allan.

Allan Rooney is speculating that the Wakey forwards are a bit lightweight - lucky he's sitting well up in the stands out of their earshot...

Now they're complaining about the habit of carrying the ball in one hand only, after Stefan Ratchford knocks on. First penalty to Wakefield for a high tackle, and Wakefield have six tackles starting in the Warrington 20. They get to ten metres, but Warrington cover is tight; last tackle, boot to ball, a grubber kick through the Warrington line, but Ratchford is trapped in goal and Wire drop out under the posts. Warrington spell their forwards, with Higham and Harrison going off. Wakefield get up to the Warrington 30 metre line and MacShane puts a grubber through, but too far and Warrington restart on their 20.

Dave King goes over, and shrugs off a tackle by Jarrod Sammutt and the carefully-struck kick sees Warrington stretch their lead to 12 points. Ratchford unleashes a towring kick, but Owen, the winger, takes it safely. But one of his team mates loses the ball, and another attacking opportunity for Warrington, as they cross the Wakefield 20 metre line. And a penalty for offside is a gift to Warrington, but sloppy passing sees Warrington going backward. Chris Hill drives through, Bennie Westwood tries to drive through a couple of players in the sunshine, but he's held up. Back to the ten metre line...A grubber kick goes too far....

Edited by StreetCowboy

What misfortune - a grubber kick off the upright, and anything could happen. As it happened, Daryl Clarke touched down for Warrington.

"With all due respect to Wakefield, if ever there was a fixture, a team to build confidence against, it was this Wakefield side" Wolves 18 - 0 Wildcats.

Trinity recover the kick-off, and they're well into the Warrington half; last tackle ten metres out, the wingman Chris Reilly on the left hand side can't take it - he'd have loved to have scored at his old ground. Bennie Westwood is having a whale of a time, playing in the right centre, Robert Hicks gives Wakefield a scrum for a knock-on.

Aggressive tackling from Warrington sees them recover the ball. Warrington strike from deep, Richie Myler takes the pass after a beautiful sidestep by Chris Bridge - Ratchford adds the extras and it's 24 -0. If it goes on like this much longer, Wakefield may be struggling. Godinet penalised for off-side after a knock-on as half-time approaches

Here comes Warrington again, last tackle, a little grubber kick but the ball is neatly fielded, then Wakefield spill it and they come back for a Warrington scrum, but there's a Wakefield player down; he clambers to his feet, and into the scrum.

Chris Hill drives eight from the try line, and Warrington go very close - closer than that, even, and Ashton Sims has scored Warrington's fifth. "It's all gong very nicely for Warrington, Ray". "If Trinity don't get a grip of themselves, I think it might be a big score'; 30-0 and it's not going at all well for Wakefield lads. Jarrod Sammutt kicks the ball out on the full, and Stefan Ratchford kicks for goal from the centre spot. He had the distance, but the wind takes it a little wide.

I popped out for a moment at half time, and Warrington have scored twice in my absence, Ratchford missing the seventh, failing to convert his own try.

And Benny Westwood picks up a dropped ball and trundles off towards the line. There's about a hundred Wakefield spectators huddled under the post, and they don't have a lot to cheer about, as they trail by eight tries. And now a ninth from a lucky bounce that was cleverly picked up by Joel Monaghan, and if Trinity don't do something about it, this game will be slipping beyond their grasp. Warrington's record score against Wakefield is 66 - 12, and that is looking vulnerable now, as Ratchford's kick drifts away in the wind.

"every time Warrington get the ball, Allan, you're expecting a try..."

"... and here it is!"

"I have to say, Allan, that, and I don't like to say but, but this is a pathetic performance by the Wakefield side"

"They just appear as if they don;t want to play"

"...it's a shame for the coach, and the couple of hundred supporters"

56 - 0, and Warrington are taking advantage of the opportunity to try some flambooyant back of hand flicks, between the legs flicks, and the Trinity fans are just standing there, absolutely shell-shocked. I'll bet they can't wait for the mid-term split in the league. I might switch to watching Le Tour de Pays Basque. There's a bloke cycling very fast. Now there's a fellow wheezing a bit going up a hill...

Wakefield attack, they're holding on to the ball, making some ground, into the Warrington 20. Last tackle, kick into the corner and picked up easily in the corner.

But it's a try every time that Warrington get the ball, and there's the twelfth 68 - 0

And Warrington keep piling on the misery, but Wakefield break, and attack, ten metres from the Warrington tryline, but all to no avail.

And Warrington are off, Joel Monaghan could've taken Jarrod Sammutt but he feeds Richie Myler and that's thirteen, and Ray and Allan are struggling to keep up - they don't have enough fingers - Ooh, and he's got it! "I thought he'd missed it, Ray" but the flag wavers put their flags up straight away, and there's four minutes left for Warrington to make it 80.

There's blokes cycling in the Tour de Pays Basque

And there's the fourteenth try.

The bloke in picture, a Basque, by his name, is pedalling round and round, round and round.

It's a little country road, good condition, some patches on the tarmac, a bit hilly, open grass livestock fields on either side, pleasantly green, and there's still two minutes to go at the Halliiwell Jones, and there's the 80 from Stefan Ratchford. I could go a pint of 80/ now, actually, by the way, boys. Were it not for the magic of the internet, I'd be heading off to get to the bar at the Lord Rodney ahead of the crowds. I'll probably go to Sid's after this, and Warrington going for their 15th of the afternoon, but the ball is dropped to good natured jeers around the stadium

Let's just hope our David doesn't read this

There's the final hooter and Joel Monaghan kicks the ball dead "a very sad and sorry afternoon for the small knot of Wakefield supporters... absolutely stunned... to me this was not about talent or ability,... the will to do anything was not there"

Edited by StreetCowboy

• 2 months later...

Helpmaboab!

I got distracted down in Indian Country wild boar hunting (came up blank, bar bagging a couple of Tigers - the wild boar seem to have gone the same way as the Gasing Roundabout, which has disappeared since I was that way last - anyway, popped into the Online Pub for a quick meet and greet with Mark Knoppfler, before I got to the Halliwell Jones (virtually, at least)

And can you believe - Leigh are beating their neighbours from the higher division, Warrington, 14 - 12 as we approach half time. Ray French and Allan Rooney are in agreement that the game has been played in good spirit...

Come on you Wire! Coom on yew Wayer!

And tomorrow, of course, Saint Helens meet their Merseyside neighbours Widnes...

And just as Warrington launch a surprise attack - the BBC lose coverage until Ray kicks the Technical Gremlin into touch

50 seconds remain of the first half as Leigh put the ball into the scrum in their own half as Leigh run the clock down. Liam Kay gets along pass out on the wing and we lose coverage again but its still 14 - 12 as they go in for oranges

I lost the last post - quick summary:

Warrington score twice in the first minutes of the second half

Leigh are sure to score but Gareth O Brien saves it, but he's sent off for an early tackle

Leigh win a scrum ten metres from the Wire try line, but they're not getting forward. Fooi Fooi does, though, But the Warrington defence holds firm - Lee Briers runs onto the field - he can't do that! Unbelievable. Penalty to Warrington to get them into the Leigh half.

Warrington have scored - Ben Currie the scorer, subject to a review - no, it's George King the try scorer for Warrington and Bennie Westwood is taking over the goal kicking duties - BENNEE!

And Lee Briers is on the pitch again, directing the players. Sit Down! SIT DOWN!

Gareth Hock charges and off-loads to Wilkes, and there's a chance in the corner, but Liam Kay is held up on the corner

Back out to Martin Ridyard, a kick and "IT'S A TRY ! What a Cup Tie! 28 - 18 with a conversion, to come, and fifteen minutes to go - to be feur to Leigh, Ray, they joost won't go away!"
"28 - 20 and the Leigh supporters realise they are still in with a chance. You've got to compliment them, Allan"

"Without a doubt, Ray"

Edited by StreetCowboy

Come on you Wai-er!

12 minutes to go.

And Warrington have scored, and the conversion is good - Ray and Allan are of the view that the game is over, bar the shouting, but let's hope Leigh don't agree with them. Nine minutes to go, but Leigh need to score three times... Inside the Warrington 20 looking for the first of three EXCELLENT PLAY FROM LEIGH - that ball went as sweet as you like, Tom Armstrong stepped inside his line

"Classical rugby, Allan"

And Leigh need to score twice in eight minutes...

"Every time they seem to have the game in the bag, Leigh pop up again!"

And Leigh break, but the ball goes astray

Lee Briers is on the pitch again.

Warrington have the ball, and win a penalty. Richard Silverwood seems to be having a good game, except for him allowing Lee Briers to run about on the pitch

And Leigh get the ball, and a penalty... "I must say how these Leigh forwards have stood up, Allan"

And the clock ticks down. Daryl Clark shoves a couple of players out of his way, but he can't shift Fooi Fooi Moi Moi.

Gareth O Brien boots the ball downfield, and a kick goes astray, Leigh getting desperate.

And the hooter goes to draw the game to an end.

Warrington struggle to overcome their neighbours from the Championship, and I think after the split, Leigh will be optimistic about fighting their way into the top half of their group, and the Superleague next year

Warrington 34 - 24 Leigh

Leeds, Hull KR, Warrington and one from St Helens and Widnes (kick-off 4 pm Sunday, Scousetime)

SC

Edited by StreetCowboy

Highlight of the Southern Hemisphere rugby calendar coming up with the third match of State of Origin, 1730 Thai Time on Wednesday. My favourite since I watched the first Queensland win for some years, in 2006, in Bali.

SC

• 1 month later...