Anyone Tried To Not Use A Re-entry Permit.

Here we go.

I have a tourist visa with a 30 day extension and a single re-entry permit (I anticipated one trip out during my visa).

I must go abroad on sunday night returning saturday morning, no problem this far.

Unfortunately my wonderful company have landed me with leaving again next monday AM which means I won't have time to get another re-entry permit (the existing one being used on saturday when I return from trip 1).

I wonder if I could use a 30 day exemption stamp for the weekend I'm back in Thailand saving the re-entry for next time :)

Anyone tried this? Thoughts?

As soon as you enter without using the re-entry permit your stay is lost and you are only here on a 30 day visa exempt entry - your next entry will also be a visa exempt 30 day stamp unless you take the time to obtain a new tourist visa and use that for entry. It will not help you to use visa exempt entry - your visa entry will be lost in any case making two exits and only having one re-entry permit.

Lopburi - Yeah I thought that would likely be the case, just wondered if I could do a little wool-pulling (not likely with the computerised system) maybe I could 'forget' to fill in the permit number on arrival. It won't be the end of the world if I lose the re-entry, just a bind.

Nonthaburial - Reckon that's the only option on a very busy day :) I wonder how the system will react to my having two (single) re-entry permits against the same stay :D

You can apply for re-entry permit by email, much quicker.

procedure here:

— For a re-entry permit,if you are in Bangkok area and you have an Internet access, you could fill in a TM. 8 form and send it to [email protected]

— You should e-mail the completed form 1 day in advance.

— You have to submit a 2" photo and pay a permit fee at counter 7, the Immigration Bureau (soi suanplu office.)

— Fee for re-entry permit:

1,000 Bahts for single

3,800 Bahts for multiple

procedure here:

— For a re-entry permit,if you are in Bangkok area and you have an Internet access, you could fill in a TM. 8 form and send it to [email protected]

— You have to submit a 2" photo and pay a permit fee at counter 7, the Immigration Bureau (soi suanplu office.)

1,000 Bahts for single

3,800 Bahts for multiple

Mario

Never tried doing this before, is it as simple as you describe, is counter 7 the one I have used for the traditional method and if so does it mean I don't need a queue ticket?

I need to do my 90 day reporting the same day, is that practical though I suspect a different counter? Sorry to ask pretty basic questions, whilst I have lived here a couple of years I have always exited the county before the 90 days was up, I miss it by three weeks this time.

Sorry to jump on the back of your thread OP.

procedure here:

1,000 Bahts for single

3,800 Bahts for multiple

Mario

Never tried doing this before, is it as simple as you describe, is counter 7 the one I have used for the traditional method and if so does it mean I don't need a queue ticket?

I need to do my 90 day reporting the same day, is that practical though I suspect a different counter? Sorry to ask pretty basic questions, whilst I have lived here a couple of years I have always exited the county before the 90 days was up, I miss it by three weeks this time.

Sorry to jump on the back of your thread OP.

The few reports I have seen do indeed mention that is is a very simple and fast procedure. But don't forget to bring the photo!

Not sure abut the counter, as I didn't do it myself. I understand it is the window outside and no que.

Do not believe they normally use the outside window as they have the very left portion of counter designated for this function (inside the main hall). But no need for queue ticket so should be fast.

Just had a better idea :D

I (legally) have two UK passports, I'll enter on my 'spare' passport (the one without the re-entry permit) and get an exemption in that one.

The spare has never entered Thailand (well it's been in my pocket). Or maybe I don't have the nerve to try it :D

Not a mischief making observation TMMT but........

How is it possible to have 2 U.K. passports legally as I always assumed that once a new one was issued any previous PP was automatically cancelled.

marshbags :)

A lot of business people have 2 passports.

I, like Marshbags, am curious--why?

P.S. I remember many moons ago problems associated with travel to Israel and travelling to Arab countries necessitated a 'paper' passport for Israeli stamp--but how/why 2 passports?

Edited by haybilly

It is normally because you need the passport in the country you are in and you need a visa for another country that requires mailing passport (not all countries have Consulates of all countries). This is especially true for reporters and international business travelers. Also you have specific category of passport such as Official or Diplomatic where they will often also have a tourist passport for personal travel.

It is normally because you need the passport in the country you are in and you need a visa for another country that requires mailing passport (not all countries have Consulates of all countries). This is especially true for reporters and international business travelers. Also you have specific category of passport such as Official or Diplomatic where they will often also have a tourist passport for personal travel.

Thanks for the info, Lopburi and yes it does make sense in relation to why certain sections need and have another legal passport.

The suggestion by TTMT seems to be for reasons other than this and could be seen as an exploitation of their purpose.

Should Thai immigration cotton onto this and posssible other similar cases of this kind, as they do eventually, the result long term will surely mean yet another tightening up on regulations and make it more difficult for everyone who follow the law as it is meant to be used and applied in relation to not only 2 passports, but those of us with 1

Not that I am suggesting TMMT is proposing anything dishonest.

Just an observation from a concerned visa / re entry user / guest of the country.

marshbags

Edited by marshbags

Thanks for the info, Lopburi and yes it does make sense in relation to why certain sections need and have another legal passport.

The suggestion by TTMT seems to be for reasons other than this and could be seen as an exploitation of their purpose.

Should Thai immigration cotton onto this and posssible other similar cases of this kind, as they do eventually, the result long term will surely mean yet another tightening up on regulations and make it more difficult for everyone who follow the law as it is meant to be used and applied in relation to not only 2 passports, but those of us with 1

Just an observation from a concerned visa / re entry user / guest of the country.

Just to point out that my second passport was obtained for legitimate business reasons (as have been noted above) and the UK government have recently tightened up the process for obtaining extra passports, by the way, IIRC you can have up to three. The proposal was merely a means around the issue of not using up a re-entry permit for a couple of days in-country.

The point is now moot as the second business trip has been postponed for a week and I can obtain another permit :)

Thanks everyone.

Nikola.

Edited by TheMysteriousMrTesla

Just to point out that my second passport was obtained for legitimate business reasons (as have been noted above) and the UK government have recently tightened up the process for obtaining extra passports, by the way, IIRC you can have up to three. The proposal was merely a means around the issue of not using up a re-entry permit for a couple of days in-country.

I think that the actual limit is 6 simultaneous passports. Though it seems impossible to find any information on this from the British passport agency as they obviously don't want people to know about this.

Do you have to apply for 2 passports at the same time, or can you apply for an additional one while your first passport is valid (ie not having to go through the renewal process for the first passport)?

I think that the actual limit is 6 simultaneous passports. Though it seems impossible to find any information on this from the British passport agency as they obviously don't want people to know about this.

Do you have to apply for 2 passports at the same time, or can you apply for an additional one while your first passport is valid (ie not having to go through the renewal process for the first passport)?

I think the limit has been revised except for very special cases, my boss has three which is usually more than enough to juggle, he got stuck in BKK once coz his secretary sent the 'wrong' PP (ie the one with his Thailand entry stamp) off for a visa to somewhere unknown.

If you want a second passport you need to justify it (see previous posts) it's not something that the embassy will do for anyone and his dog.

I obtained my second in Bangkok, I emailed the passport secretary (contact details on the Embassy website) and she told me exactly what was required. Yes you can apply any time, probably better whilst your existing PP is still valid then they won't run out together.

Once you have the second PP they operate independently, coming up for renewal as and when they expire. Obviously the UK borders agency (or whatever they're called) know you have two but there is no link in the PPs.

The point is now moot as the second business trip has been postponed for a week and I can obtain another permit :D

Thanks everyone.

Nikola.

Thanks for starting the thread and providing information that others as well as myself where completely unaware of.

Thanks also for taking my comments in the unoffensive way they are meant.

We are never to old to learn or be made aware of additional PP facilities that are available.

marshbags :)

If they catch you with using the second passport your toast.

Is it worth your job and living in Thailand just to save 4 or 5 hours?

Jan. Please explain exactly what laws will have been broken by Tesla (or myself for that matter) entering on his totally legal alternative passport. He's not trying to circumvent any immigration laws per-se.

As Tesla notes, the point is now moot as his trip has been postponed so this is a rhetorical discussion :)