Today For Lunch: The Best Burger I've Had In Chiangmai.

Oneman

Today for lunch: the best burger I've had in Chiangmai.

Not the best burger ever, but the best, here, so far.

I'm in a quandary whether to bury this recommendation under hundreds of posts in some other burger thread, or to start a fresh topic.
There are so many here who appreciate a really good burger, that I'll start a fresh topic.
If some mod wants to move this post, I won't be offended. Now, on to the burger:

Big, thick, hand-made patty.

Ground with more than the usual % of fat than we usually get in Thailand, so it was juicy and flavorful.

Still not enough % fat for my taste, but more than anywhere else I've found here in Chiangmai.

The flavor was so tasty that I'd almost bet it was fresh ground beef -- not frozen -- but that's difficult to imagine.

Cooked just to medium-well.

Fresh, sesame-seed bun that was brushed with butter and lightly grilled.

The bun was completely acceptable but nothing exceptional.

Modest amount of sliced tomato, lettuce, and grilled onions.

Offered with cheese, but I don't trust Thais to select cheese, so I ordered without.

My Thai lady companion is far from an expert on hamburgers -- her standard of comparison is 7-Eleven -- but even she appreciated the quality, saying, "behp-baahn" (home style).

French fries were fine.

Also, a thimble-size serving of tasteless coleslaw -- which was more than enough of that.

After eating, I asked the waiter to inquire of the chef if any MSG was used to enhance the flavor.

The answer came back, a firm, "No MSG, krap."

So that's another plus (although we do know the Thai cultural propensity to tell you what they think you want to hear).

Location: Grand Mercure Hotel dining room, Chang Peuak Road. (Formerly, Novotel Hotel)

700 meters North of Chang Peuak gate; in front of TOPS supermarket.

Link to hotel website with map/directions.

Price: 190 baht.

Struggling to find an excellent burger, I've chased around a lot, following comments on Internet forums.

Many disappointments and much wasted time.

But finally, I've found a burger worth going out of my way for.

If there's a better quality burger in Chiangmai -- at any price -- I hope someone will tell me about it, but I'll listen only to those who have actually tried this one.

-- Oneman

Chiangmai

Edited by Oneman

I'm in a quandary whether to bury this recommendation under hundreds of posts in some other burger thread, or to start a fresh topic.
There are so many here who appreciate a really good burger, that I'll start a fresh topic.
If some mod wants to move this post, I won't be offended. Now, on to the burger:

Ground with more than the usual % of fat than we usually get in Thailand, so it was juicy and flavorful.

Still not enough % fat for my taste, but more than anywhere else I've found here in Chiangmai.

The flavor was so tasty that I'd almost bet it was fresh ground beef -- not frozen -- but that's difficult to imagine.

Offered with cheese, but I don't trust Thais to select cheese, so I ordered without.

My Thai lady companion is far from an expert on hamburgers -- her standard of comparison is 7-Eleven -- but even she appreciated the quality, saying, "behp-baahn" (home style).

French fries were fine.

Also, a thimble-size serving of tasteless coleslaw -- which was more than enough of that.

After eating, I asked the waiter to inquire of the chef if any MSG was used to enhance the flavor.

So that's another plus (although we do know the Thai cultural propensity to tell you what they think you want to hear).

Location: Grand Mercure Hotel dining room, Chang Peuak Road. (Formerly, Novotel Hotel)

Struggling to find an excellent burger, I've chased around a lot, following comments on Internet forums.

If there's a better quality burger in Chiangmai -- at any price -- I hope someone will tell me about it, but I'll listen only to those who have actually tried this one.

-- Oneman

Chiangmai

During my month's stay in Chiang Mai in February, I enjoyed the burgers at Mike's. I know they aren't a premium, chef-made burger that a real beef connoisseur would go gaga over but all the same...I thought they were more than an adequate replacement for a Wendy's hamburger and at a fair price. I used to manage a Wendy's in the states and their beef is of the best quality offered in most any restaurant or sandwich establishment.

Regards,

Martian

During my month's stay in Chiang Mai in February, I enjoyed the burgers at Mike's. I know they aren't a premium, chef-made burger that a real beef connoisseur would go gaga over but all the same...I thought they were more than an adequate replacement for a Wendy's hamburger and at a fair price. I used to manage a Wendy's in the states and their beef is of the best quality offered in most any restaurant or sandwich establishment.

Regards,

Martian

Oh yes, had a Wendy's burger just yesterday here in Michigan - deliciously dripping with fat and oozing with flavor! Great cheese too, and they made mine medium rare on request. Watch out coronary arteries, here comes another one today!! :D:)

Wendy's burgers - aloy mak mah !! :D

Next week before I return to LOS we will go to Ruth's Chris Steak House for what I believe is one of the best steaks on the planet. Anybody dining there before will understand.

Guitarman burgers are pretty good!

French fries were fine.

-- Oneman

Chiangmai

Mikes on Loh K outside the mongers aly.. but only well after midnight and after a session along the K.....life saver...then last one in O Mallys... :) ....

otherwise never touch the things...

More likely it was No MSG, crap" - play on words may be lost on our American friends.

Deep joy just was we need, another "Best burger in CM thread"

CB

Regards,

Martian

Oh yes, had a Wendy's burger just yesterday here in Michigan - deliciously dripping with fat and oozing with flavor! Great cheese too, and they made mine medium rare on request. Watch out coronary arteries, here comes another one today!! :D:)

Next week before I return to LOS we will go to Ruth's Chris Steak House for what I believe is one of the best steaks on the planet. Anybody dining there before will understand.

Wow! I went to their website - the picture of the steak says it all!

French fries were fine.

-- Oneman

Chiangmai

There is a newly opened small restaurant on the canal Rd [ Klong Chon Pratan] about 500 metres after the junction that takes you to Big C, going out of town towards Hang Dong or San Patong and about 500 metres before the junction for Royal Flora Ratchapruek--anyway, the owner makes an excellent burger, in fact she hand makes the burger and the bread rolls and fills them with just about anything you want, and, of course they come with the obligatory french fries; all this and more for about 145 Baht--a bargain.

Although it's a way out of town centre, about 10 mins drive, if you happen to be going that way it's definitely worth stopping by--oh yeah, it's called 'Burgers and More'.

If you are down that far towards hong dong then the best burger in CM, as good as anywhere is at the Rosewood in the "Got Farangs" next to Rimping .

this burger comes with jumbo steak fries --total cost 90 baht /the fries are great.This deal must be their lost leader.have not eaten their for months will check it out again.this burger is comparable to eating in 4-5 star hotel but at a cost of 90 baht with fries!

food presentation great,bath room new and clean (no over over flow on the floor like some pizza /burger/steak places in town),

a big plus for me is you see no insects runing across floor or critters in the dessert case,this place is very clean, nice and new not typical CM eatery at all.

For me a place that is clean makes dining a delight in CM !

order this or the cheese burger w/ fries for ~130 baht

do not order anything else. if need a lot of food order two!

It is the best burger in town @ 3/4" thick w/ steak fries @90 baht

far superior to some of the dry, paper like burgers sold by others places in CM for more $.

again,this is the only item to eat there but if still the same as before it is killer. I have not had a burger in quite a while there but may have one today see if they are the same,

You better hurry for the best burger in CM at the best cost while this place is still open!

Edited by gatorhead333

...this burger is comparable to eating in 4-5 star hotel but at a cost of 90 baht with fries!...

...You better hurry for the best burger in CM at the best cost while this place is still open!

:)

Skeptical.

Edited by HTWoodson

My first choice on burgers was Dukes just over the river. They have an awesome "99 Baht" juicy burger, good bun, with thick quality fries and pickle slices. Apparently Dukes in the Night Bazaar do NOT offer this.

I recently found my second choice too. Gekko Restaurant (just past Suriwong Books at the corner of Kampangdin Rd.) had a huge hand-made beef paddy oozing with fat on a "fair-enough" bun and mediocre fries. I would say the meat itself was probably better than Dukes, but everything else was better about Dukes. Gekkos is less than 100b plus they have a burger day (maybe wednesday) for about 60b or 70b if I remember right. I got lucky and showed up that day!

...this burger is comparable to eating in 4-5 star hotel but at a cost of 90 baht with fries!...

...You better hurry for the best burger in CM at the best cost while this place is still open!

:)

Skeptical.

I get you, but don't forget that gatorhead has a pretty good record as far as good quality eating places at bargain prices.

I ate at one of them last night and the Tuna Carpaccio was every bit as good as he had claimed. To be honest, I thought that he had been exaggerating, but it was stupendous.

My first choice on burgers was Dukes just over the river. They have an awesome "99 Baht" juicy burger, good bun, with thick quality fries and pickle slices. Apparently Dukes in the Night Bazaar do NOT offer this.

I recently found my second choice too. Gekko Restaurant (just past Suriwong Books at the corner of Kampangdin Rd.) had a huge hand-made beef paddy oozing with fat on a "fair-enough" bun and mediocre fries. I would say the meat itself was probably better than Dukes, but everything else was better about Dukes. Gekkos is less than 100b plus they have a burger day (maybe wednesday) for about 60b or 70b if I remember right. I got lucky and showed up that day!

the rosewood 90 baht burger with steak fries all served in a clean restaurant with folding cloth napkins far superior to above as far as burger and fries goes and served in a clean ,new upscale restaurant to boot!!.This rosewood is clean and the workers wear green tops so if like the dukes u will be at home here and clean at the same time! wide screen TV playing music

too bad this rosewood burger is the only thing on the menu worth eating. again presentation food qaulity like you are in a 4-5 star restaurant, 3/4" thick,the steak frys far superior to anything mentioned above but not a huge amount ,the nice thing about them is you do not taste old grease like you do in some of the above places mentioned .

but no soggy pickle at the Rosewood .

Reminds me of the Steak House by La Cyrstal as far as being new and clean with upscale presentation cloth napkins etc..

remember order only the burger!

Edited by gatorhead333

If you are down that far towards hong dong then the best burger in CM, as good as anywhere is at the Rosewood in the "Got Farangs" next to Rimping .

this burger comes with jumbo steak fries --total cost 90 baht /the fries are great.This deal must be their lost leader.have not eaten their for months will check it out again.this burger is comparable to eating in 4-5 star hotel but at a cost of 90 baht with fries!

food presentation great,bath room new and clean (no over over flow on the floor like some pizza /burger/steak places in town),

a big plus for me is you see no insects runing across floor or critters in the dessert case,this place is very clean, nice and new not typical CM eatery at all.

far superior to some of the dry, paper like burgers sold by others places in CM for more $.

again,this is the only item to eat there but if still the same as before it is killer. I have not had a burger in quite a while there but may have one today see if they are the same,

You better hurry for the best burger in CM at the best cost while this place is still open!

Being an inhabitant of 'Got Farangs' I think you really should give the place I mentioned a try as it just might surprise you--unfortunately 'Rosewood', which actually only opened a few months ago, so I reckon you were there right at their inception, when they were really trying--it's now at least one chef later and it's not the same place.

Being an inhabitant of 'Got Farangs' I think you really should give the place I mentioned a try as it just might surprise you--unfortunately 'Rosewood', which actually only opened a few months ago, so I reckon you were there right at their inception, when they were really trying--it's now at least one chef later and it's not the same place.

you may be right about a chef later but passing the tourch on a burger is not a big deal.I have eaten at the place you think is good and it is thai type prepared food served in a somewhat lacking enviroment.When i eat i like to stay out of open to insects as much as i can, as much as possble.the enviroment affects my ability to enjoy my dinner . maybe we need to do a thread on clean places with out bugs with closed, clean. screened in kitchens and eating rooms with doors and windows!!! are any found in your burger joint??

the rosewood blows that place away for the burger.!!

Edited by gatorhead333

Mr. H.Billy

i just hit the rosewood for a well done burger with steak frys. well now it cost 110 baht and the cloth napkins are now nice paper ones . the ac blows cool and the big tv still there and for me i would have to stick by my i rather eat a burger in a clean, nice new place since burgers are pretty much burgers .. it is hard to mess these up even in thailand.

hey a note there is a 20% off sale there so burger with steak fries and a light sing was 178 baht plus they brought out a piece of toast with something on it as an appetiser.i ate it not sure what it was though...

i will hit the place on the canel i have been meaning to try it again so i will bring my bug repellant and net with me when i go to try to be as comfortable as possible while i eat there.

Mr. H.Billy

i just hit the rosewood for a well done burger with steak frys. well now it cost 110 baht and the cloth napkins are now nice paper ones . the ac blows cool and the big tv still there and for me i would have to stick by my i rather eat a burger in a clean, nice new place since burgers are pretty much burgers .. it is hard to mess these up even in thailand.

hey a note there is a 20% off sale there so burger with steak fries and a light sing was 178 baht plus they brought out a piece of toast with something on it as an appetiser.i ate it not sure what it was though...

i will hit the place on the canel i have been meaning to try it again so i will bring my bug repellant and net with me when i go to try to be as comfortable as possible while i eat there.

I really don't think that we are talking about the same place--'Burgers and More' is an AC indoor brand newly built farang style, and very clean small restaurant--I am not sure which place you are describing that has insects and so on---I'm not about starting an argument either--if you like Rosewood so much, that's up to you--as you say enjoy it while you can since every eatery in the 'Got Farangs' shopping area, except California Wraps, closes down rapido--something to do with the land owner, who happens to have shares in Rosewood--I doubt that this will save it though since., sooner or later the landlord pulls a stunt and owners move out.

you may be right about a chef later but passing the tourch on a burger is not a big deal.I have eaten at the place you think is good and it is thai type prepared food served in a somewhat lacking enviroment.When i eat i like to stay out of open to insects as much as i can, as much as possble.the enviroment affects my ability to enjoy my dinner . maybe we need to do a thread on clean places with out bugs with closed, clean. screened in kitchens and eating rooms with doors and windows!!! are any found in your burger joint??

Yes, it definitely has doors and windows--large plate glass doors at the entrance and wall to ceiling windows--we are definitely not talking about the same places--coming from CM this one is in the block of shophouses before 'Coffee lovers and Dairy'--going out of town towards Hang Dong--try it sometime.

Regards,

Martian

Darn it! Stop teasing me...talking about Ruth's Chris Steak House! Yum! Yum!

Regards

plus they brought out a piece of toast with something on it as an appetiser. I ate it not sure what it was though...

Might it have been a dung beetle? I believe they're quite tasty.

plus they brought out a piece of toast with something on it as an appetiser. I ate it not sure what it was though...

Might it have been a dung beetle? I believe they're quite tasty.

how would you know about the taste of insects? i guess you justs know i will not pry.

is a dung beetle something you have dug out of a pile of warm dung?

do u wash it off before u eat it?

how would you know about the taste of insects? i guess you justs know i will not pry.

is a dung beetle something you have dug out of a pile of warm dung?

do u wash it off before u eat it?

Wash it before I eat it !!. You must be joking.

Yes, it definitely has doors and windows--large plate glass doors at the entrance and wall to ceiling windows--we are definitely not talking about the same places--coming from CM this one is in the block of shophouses before 'Coffee lovers and Dairy'--going out of town towards Hang Dong--try it sometime.

thanks, important input A.C. blows cool too? . i thought you were talking about the place that opened up across the street from the flora spectacular few years back. that burger place is cheap but it blows.

i will give this place you mention a good gander. I liked the rosewood because it is very close to my abode ,it is very clean ,nicely done.The rosewood is just not filthy like many CM steak,pizza,sandwich places in town and the 110 baht burger with fat steak fries is the deal of the day in hong dong at the Rosewood (but very few burger palaces down here to compare. )

Edited by gatorhead333