Pm Plans To Extradite Thaksin From Fiji

churchill

The government is liaising with the Fijian authorities to extradite fugitive former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra back to Thailand, Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva said on Thursday.

"The government is checking if Fiji has the same extradition law as England," Mr Abhisit said.

According to Pacnews in Fiji, Thaksin met Fijian Prime Minister Commodore Voreqe Bainimarama earlier this week and proposed a US$280 million investment package in return for being offered asylum.

continued at http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/politics/1...aksin-from-fijipostlogo.jpg

-- Bangkok Post 09/07/09

from the same article

"Mr Abhisit also said the cabinet meeting next week would consider extending the five short-term economic measures to help low income earners.

The measures, introduced during the Samak administration last year, are free tap water for households using less than 30 units a month, free electricity for households using less than 90 units monthly, free third class travel on some carriages on trains, free travel on 800 buses of the state-run Bangkok Mass Transit Authority on 73 routes in the capital and a freeze on the price of cooking gas. They will expire at the end of this month.

He said if at least 1.5 per cent of the population are infected with the A/H1N1 flu, it would be necessary for the government to abide by the international standard and seal the country.

"If the country is closed, it would not affect the 42nd Asean Meeting in Phuket as the cabinet has agreed to enforce the Internal Security Act in the province from July 10 to 24," he said.

The regional meeting will take place between July 16 and 23."

Let's hope they don't bring Taksin back. Can you imagine the red shirt protest with Taksin sitting in a Thai jail. You only need to talk to Bangkok taxi drivers to understand the passionate support that Taksin still commands.

On second thoughts: Maybe it's a good idea, it has the potentail to bring down the appointed Abhisit government, but it will come at a cost and who knows what government would emerge.

Interesting that Abhisit is looking at extending Samaks populist policies. Wasn't populist policies one of the democrats main criticisms of Thai Rak Thai?

The government is liaising with the Fijian authorities to extradite fugitive former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra back to Thailand, Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva said on Thursday.

"The government is checking if Fiji has the same extradition law as England," Mr Abhisit said.

According to Pacnews in Fiji, Thaksin met Fijian Prime Minister Commodore Voreqe Bainimarama earlier this week and proposed a US$280 million investment package in return for being offered asylum.

continued at http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/politics/1...aksin-from-fijipostlogo.jpg

-- Bangkok Post 09/07/09

As if Mr Frank Bainimarama cares if there's a extradition law or not.

He is the law at present on Fiji islands and there's not much other countries can do about it, not even New Zealand nor Australia.

The political power situation on Fiji is quite complicated and has also to do with corruption on all sides as well as deep rooted racism between the three major communities, indigenous Fijians and Indo-Fijians whilst Indians make up of almost 38% of the population of not even 1 million people....

Thailand has absolutely nothing to offer to Fiji.

LaoPo

Thailand does not really want Taksin.  If they did they would have taken him before his trip to the UN and made the move when he was in country.  They made sure he was out of the country for a reason.  Hes been back and left again.  What they want is his face in the papers so your not looking at theirs. :)    

The bloodless coupe was stupid, as are these meanderings. A zero-sum game, with Thailand the net loser.

What a worthless travesty.

Bubba

I am not sure who wins the door prize for the number of changes in Government since WWII, Italy or Thailand! It is all so unnecessary, and oh such a waste of money and time. :)

The bloodless coupe was stupid, as are these meanderings. A zero-sum game, with Thailand the net loser.

What a worthless travesty.

Bubba

I am not sure who wins the door prize for the number of changes in Government since WWII, Italy or Thailand! It is all so unnecessary, and oh such a waste of money and time. :D

:)

Italy!

..is well ahead of Thailand, since ww2 - till elections in Aprill, 2008 - 62 Governments!

source:

However I do think too it's NOT a good Idea to have "the man" back - let him try to take on the

commodore instead and maybe turn Fidji into Shinland!

He can even start his own Airlines already!

Edited by Samuian

from the same article

"

He said if at least 1.5 per cent of the population are infected with the A/H1N1 flu, it would be necessary for the government to abide by the international standard and seal the country.

"If the country is closed, it would not affect the 42nd Asean Meeting in Phuket as the cabinet has agreed to enforce the Internal Security Act in the province from July 10 to 24," he said.

The regional meeting will take place between July 16 and 23."

If the country is sealed off before or during the ASEAN meeting how could it not effect the meeting? To let guest of the meeting in or out would mean the country is NOT sealed.... nonsense.

So with a population of nearly 66m, plus a few expats, there will need to be a tad over 988,500 cases for the country to be sealed and both of the tourists forced to remain.

I think today's figure is in the region of 2,950 so still a way to go but not beyond the bounds of possibility.

Just to put it into perspective the latest worldwide update is here http://www.who.int/csr/don/2009_07_06/en/index.html

Edited by theoldgit

"The government is checking if Fiji has the same extradition law as England,"

If it has, wouldn't that mean they wouldn't extradite him? I thought the reason for the UK revoking Mr T's visa was to avoid any possible embarrassment, I don't think the UK extradite to a country where prison conditions are as bad as they are in Thailand. Hence the reason why the UK is looking allocate money to refurbish a prison in Nigeria so we can move approx 400 prisioners back to their home country.

Hence the reason why the UK is looking allocate money to refurbish a prison in Nigeria so we can move approx 400 prisioners back to their home country.

Almost right, the UK Government is looking to fund the refurbishment of the Nigerian prison to be able to remove a number of Nigerian prisoners who are serving their sentences in British prisons and who would be removed from the UK at the end of their sentence, freeing up space and of course saving money.

Would agree with the other poster, the government is surely just mouthing off. Bringing back Taksin, regardless how some people feel about him, would only enrage his substantial support base. Why inflame something that has largely subsided?

As to the money, I assume there was legal rather than personal grounds for confiscating so much money? Screaming corruption by the equally corrupt doesn't really cut it. Also be interesting to see what eventually happens to that money, funds do have a way of disappearing into hungry pockets.

Indeed. Games and more games. And asset seizure time is almost upon us.

You nailed it is all about money, I think Thaksin should go to Nicaragua and stay there for long time, sine he really don’t have any money to invest in Fiji

"According to Pacnews in Fiji, Thaksin met Fijian Prime Minister Commodore Voreqe Bainimarama earlier this week and proposed a US$280 million investment package in return for being offered asylum."

Are those US$280 millions simply an attempt to bribe and prolong the inevitable? What good are his words? Is Mr. Thaksin good US$280 million anyway? Is far as I know, most of his assets is being held locked by Thai authorities. I think the Fiji government, which belongs to the British Commonwealth, should consider to take some advices from the Pomies.

Edited by Ga-gai

i really think that K.Abhisit does not want this either.....

otherwise he may have to ask the future Pm - K.Thaksin for a pardon for his mistakes!

amarka

My prediction is: The extradition won't happen. I doubt Abhisit will ever be successful in extraditing Thaksin.

as far as i know neither the U.K or the U.S.A support military juntas....

Thaksin was the elected P.M of thailand overthrown by the military Junta . so the U.K would never extradite him back to Thailand anyway.

amarka

If it has, wouldn't that mean they wouldn't extradite him? I thought the reason for the UK revoking Mr T's visa was to avoid any possible embarrassment, I don't think the UK extradite to a country where prison conditions are as bad as they are in Thailand. Hence the reason why the UK is looking allocate money to refurbish a prison in Nigeria so we can move approx 400 prisioners back to their home country.

Thaksin was the elected P.M of thailand overthrown by the military Junta . so the U.K would never extradite him back to Thailand anyway.

amarka

Apart from the fact that the current government is not appointed or a junta... :)

amarka

Apart from the fact that the current government is not appointed or a junta... :)

Not fair and proper elected ether. :D

amarka

Actually, I have some understanding about the Fijian situation. Even if I don't support countries ruled by military juntas.

At the time when Fiji were a British colony, lots of workers were brought from the other British colony India. The reason was that there were difficulties to "domesticate" the Fijians to do any work, services and duties that was needed in the colony. The Fijians already had what they needed in life when it comes to food and housing. So none or too few of them were interested in working on the sugar cane plantations or as servants to their rulers. So the Brits came to the "brilliant" solution to bring over workers from India instead. They were more easier to domesticate since they had another mentality where money and consumption like we're used, were more compelling to these newly imported people.

In fact the Indian population were so successful in reproduction that they became in majority against the native Fijians. Have we seen that before? Yes, in North America and where the native American became an minority. Anyway... I remember there were an democratic parliament election for government held sometime around 1987 or 1988 (can't remember exactly). Since the implanted Indian population were in majority at that time, an Indian party therefore won the election and were therefor to become the new government and rulers of Fiji. The original native Fijian population had then in democratic order lost the rule of their own country. It didn't take many days before the Fijian army chief general Rabouka decided restore the "order" by taking over the country and once again made it ruled by the original native population.

As much as I don't like when a population is being robbed of their democracy, I also have understanding and sympathy to the native population on Fiji. I've been there myself. Met expats (westerners) married to Fijian women like we're married to Thai women here in Thailand (seems to be the same in every exotic corner of the world). At the time I were there, I never saw ńative Fijians intermingled with the Indian population. I'll guess there must be half breeds between the two groups. But I didn't see that during my time there. It was as if the the country were two different countries when traveling between the two groups. Many years now and I hope they have loosened up the tensions a bit more. But the questions is... Did the native Fijians have the moral right take back their country by force, just because they are natives in minority. Still... It was the Brits that caused the situation from the beginning.

Edited by Ga-gai

Apart from the fact that the current government [of Thailand] is not appointed or a junta... :)

They are in their position in accordance to the rules set and not through any illegal moves.

But don't let facts distort your world view.