Metric Iron Butt Ride 1000+ Km In A Day!

Are you up for an Iron Butt?  

17 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Who's up for a Metric Iron Butt?

1000+ kilometers in a day.

How's this for a route:

Caltex Asoke, Bangkok-Petchabun-Lom Sak-Phitsanulok-Den Chai-Lampang-Chiang Rai-Mae Sai and you get 1018 km :) When are we going?

Map: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?doflg=ptk&a...234589&z=10

SSRIronButtFlyer.jpg

Dates and details to be announced once we figure them out!

Comments, suggestions and advice welcome.

Ride On!

Edited by BigBikeBKK

How's this for a route:

Caltex Asoke, Bangkok-Petchabun-Lom Sak-Phitsanulok-Den Chai-Lampang-Chiang Rai-Mae Sai and you get 1018 km :) When are we going?

SSRIronButtFlyer.jpg

Ride On!

I have to admit it, I am a wuss my butt cant take it. :D

How's this for a route:

Ride On!

Count me in!

Nice route!

me needs a border hop on august 3...

Hey CF,

You were missed at the BBQ yesterday.

Where do you want to do your 'hop'? I think we'll wait until Tiger has new rubber and Bard is back in the country before we do the Iron Butt ride, but we can certainly fit in some warm ups before then. Where do you usually do your visa runs? How about you take charge of this one, ok? Ride on!

Tony

1000km/day

am ashamed to admit but that's far too much for me n my R1

Hey Anthony!

Are you back?

Well, I recall how much pain you were in after the ride to Chiang Mai, so understand your reluctance to go 1000km in a day on your R1.

Maybe you can drive the support vehicle? :D:D:)

Happy Trails,

Tony

1000km/day

Change the bike & get summat that you can actually ride! :D

Don't worry about these guys, Anthony. The R1's a fine bike. 

Not all of us have to do 1000klm a day to feel like a 'real biker'.  :)

Edited by RusticCharm

^ I'm not saying there's anything wrong with the R1, though they do seem a bit fragile...

The R1's just not a touring bike is all. And who ever said you have to do 1000km in a day to be a 'real' biker?

We'll have our Iron Butt Ride and the rest of you can join Rustic's Lard A$$ Culinary Tour with calorie stops every 100 clicks :D

(BTW Terry- that's a JOKE- please don't get your padded panties in a twist again ' tay?) :)

Ride On!

Edited by BigBikeBKK

1000km/day

Change the bike & get summat that you can actually ride! :D

Don't worry about these guys, Anthony. The R1's a fine bike.

Not all of us have to do 1000klm a day to feel like a 'real biker'. :D

:D:D:D

funny....

:)

^ I'm not saying there's anything wrong with the R1, though they do seem a bit fragile...

The R1's just not a touring bike is all. And who ever said you have to do 1000km in a day to be a 'real' biker?

We'll have our Iron Butt Ride and the rest of you can join Rustic's Lard A$ Culinary Tour with calorie stops every 100 clicks :D

(BTW Terry- that's a JOKE- please don't get your padded panties in a twist again ' tay?) :)

Ride On!

"padded panties"! :D:D:D

And who ever said you have to do 1000km in a day to be a 'real' biker?
Er..take a look at your poll heading!
We'll have our Iron Butt Ride and the rest of you can join Rustic's Lard A$ Culinary Tour with calorie stops every 100 clicks

(BTW Terry- that's a JOKE- please don't get your padded panties in a twist again ' tay?)

Yeah, a joke. I get it. Though rather personal coming from someone I hardly know.
"padded panties"!
Don't worry! Tony's just 'projecting' again. Whatever turns him on, I guess.

• 2 months later...

Well, weather and work schedules have thus far prevented us from completing our Metric Iron Butt ride, but I'm still keen to do it!

October is going to be a crazy busy month-

Kawasaki Track Day at BRC on the 10th.

Motard races at BIRA on the 11th.

Party ride to Khon Kaen on the 16th, Udon Thani on the 17th.

MotoGP ride from October 22-27th.

That about fills the month, so.... who'd up for a Metric Iron Butt in November? :)

Ride On!

Tony

Tony

In what speed you plan to do it?, day ride or what ever it takes?

as did mine in 13.5hrs, but if my Panzar Wagen is ready by Nov. i could do it again and meet you guys in somewhere

I once did phuket to penang overnight.. Dropped the passport in in the am, then when it came back at about 4 thought I would push to Hat Yai, made good time and thought would push to trang, then thought sod it, nearly there and kept on to Phuket again.

So night day and night for Phuket Penang and back. Not sure of Kms.

Tony

In what speed you plan to do it?

We rarely drop below 200km/h. :D

Heh heh- you mean YOU and Sneds and Bakerboy rarely drop below 200km/hr. :D

I prefer a conservative 180km/hr cruising speed :)

The proposed route really should be doable in a day at our usual speeds. Leave BKK at 0600, arrive Mae Sai ~1800

SSRIronButtFlyer.jpg

Let's make it happen in November!

Marco- hope you'll have the Panzer Wagon back in action by then- would be great to ride with you again!

Tony

Tony

as did mine in 13.5hrs, but if my Panzar Wagen is ready by Nov. i could do it again and meet you guys in somewhere

Cheers Marco,

But if I recall wasn't a good part of your Metric Iron Butt in the dark and fog? :)

November is a great time to ride- rains should be about done and weather will be cooler.

Can't wait! :D

How's this for a route:

SSRIronButtFlyer.jpg

Ride On!

How's this for a route:

SSRIronButtFlyer.jpg

Ride On!

Just gotta step back and laugh at these baby Iron Butts.

Did a double on a wideglide from New orleans to los angeles non-stop. That's 2000 real miles. A lot of coffee, a few other stimulates, and hammer down with two other guys. Stopped only to eat, pee, and stretch. 31 hours. Returned via portland, sturgis, four corners. One hel_l of a ride.

So, watch yourself out there and those head-on buses and goofy Thai lunitics.

russ

Did a double on a wideglide from New orleans to los angeles non-stop. That's 2000 real miles. A lot of coffee, a few other stimulates, and hammer down with two other guys. Stopped only to eat, pee, and stretch. 31 hours. Returned via portland, sturgis, four corners. One hel_l of a ride.

russ

Cheers Russ,

I've done a few thousand plus mile rides in the States as well- piece of cake with wide American roads and not a soi dog, water buffalo, head on bus or goofy Somchai maniac driver in site. Riding after dark in the US- no worries (unless you're in deer country). Thai roads are a lot more dangerous and challenging so I think starting with a metric Iron Butt is a good start. Do you have a bike here in Thailand? Going to join us?

Happy Trails!

Tony

Tony

Cheers Marco,

But if I recall wasn't a good part of your Metric Iron Butt in the dark and fog? :)

November is a great time to ride- rains should be about done and weather will be cooler.

Can't wait! :D

Tony

Correct, as i stated 1.15am then had to stop by 3am before that it was really foggy as i rode in small country roads between rice fields and then FREEZING cold, even i was wearing Scandinavian winter cloves

and other hard part was, there was NO coffee available(normal coffee, not instant) before 7am,,,

but have to say, if was FUN :D and would love to do it again,,

How's this for a route:

Caltex Asoke, Bangkok-Petchabun-Lom Sak-Phitsanulok-Den Chai-Lampang-Chiang Rai-Mae Sai and you get 1018 km :D When are we going?

SSRIronButtFlyer.jpg

Ride On!

. That's 2000 real miles. russ

Russ, just a qestion as im not American and NOT use Miles,, what is difference between "Real and Not so real" miles?? :)

I just wanna clarify that as we in Europe do not have any other than Km's and never call then "Real" Km's.

thnx

Correct, as i stated 1.15am then had to stop by 3am before that it was really foggy as i rode in small country roads between rice fields and then FREEZING cold, even i was wearing Scandinavian winter cloves

and other hard part was, there was NO coffee available(normal coffee, not instant) before 7am,,,

Hey Marco!

I hope with all of the upgrades to the Panzer Wagon that you've added an Espresso maker! :)

Happy Trails!

Tony

russ

Cheers Russ,

I've done a few thousand plus mile rides in the States as well- piece of cake with wide American roads and not a soi dog, water buffalo, head on bus or goofy Somchai maniac driver in site. Riding after dark in the US- no worries (unless you're in deer country). Thai roads are a lot more dangerous and challenging so I think starting with a metric Iron Butt is a good start. Do you have a bike here in Thailand? Going to join us?

Happy Trails!

Tony