Overnight Train 2nd Class, I Am Confused

Aryanwynn

This is the input I got from Traveller2000. Can someone clarify?

Yes, 2nd class is not private cabin but you will have private cabin in the night that nobody see you when you sleep.

(BTW she also said the bedbug problem was solve (sic) last year) Hmmm.

DH is freaking about shared cabins and Swineflu (yes, I did tell him to get a life) 1st class was full like a month ago for end July booking.

When sleeping you have a curtain for privacy in the 2nd class carriage otherwise it is an open shared carriage. In first class you have a small private room for 2.

EDIT: I have traveled by overnight train in Thailand at least 20 times and never had a problem with bedbugs. I have had a problem with cockroaches once in a first class cabin though

Edited by chiliwasabi

Always get the bottom bunk. The top bunk's curtain doesn't go right up tp the ceiling and the florescent light is right beside that small gap. You'll get NO sleep on the top bunk. 2nd class is fine. Get your own food (packed at home or from hawkers at stations) and booze as the prices on the train are pretty steep.

Your luggage goes in the overhead basket (top bunk) or under the bunk (lower), make sure to book a bunk in the middle of the carriage so the uneven rail ties/shocks don't keep you awake. Take reading material, toilet tissue, water, sandwiches (unless you want to pay triple for crap food).

Take valuables into your bunk and curl up with them.

Do not accept food or drinks from anyone you do not know!!

Have a good trip.

Always get the bottom bunk. The top bunk's curtain doesn't go right up tp the ceiling and the florescent light is right beside that small gap. You'll get NO sleep on the top bunk. 2nd class is fine. Get your own food (packed at home or from hawkers at stations) and booze as the prices on the train are pretty steep.

Yeah that light is annoying. I always end up on the top bunk as my wife gets the lower so I always make sure I have one of those eye masks you get when flying. The top bunk in 1st class is pretty comfy if you want to pay a bit extra and you can turn the lights off in your cabin.

Also, as someones else suggested always take you own food and drink as it it pretty expensive (and not very good) onboard.

Yes, 2nd class is not private cabin but you will have private cabin in the night that nobody see you when you sleep.

DH is freaking about shared cabins and Swineflu (yes, I did tell him to get a life) 1st class was full like a month ago for end July booking.

The 1st class sleeper is always unavailable online.

not sure of your destination but i have just booked 2 1st class sleepers for nong khai for next week..

you need to book in person at a train station... not on line..

happy journey

The bottom bunk is slightly more expensive and for that you also sit facing the engine before the conductor makes the bunk, while the one, who later gets the smaller and less comfortable upper bunk, seats opposite you facing back wards.

So, if you both would like to sleep in a bottom bunk, you will get seats facing the engine with the aisle in between, but you can ask your opposite to change seats with you or your DH (whatever that means), if you want to sit opposite to each other.

Sometimes, but not every time, the a/c is cold and you get a, for a Farang, too small, thin blanket, but it is much quieter than the second class/fan option.

A safe (keep your valuables with you in your bunk) and enjoyable way to travel (but not for everyone).

Edited by Birdman

I travel often between Den Chai and Bangkok, for me the best way to go is 2nd air con...the seats are in better condition and the a/c isn't too cold. For all those moaning flowers the top bunk is only a little narrower than the bottom, both are the same length...about 1.82 metres, so if you're 6ft take the bottom one and sleep diagonally across the bed. With the curtains closed (the beds are made up from the moment the train leaves Hua Long Pong-night time only!) you will have perfect privacy...if you really want to enjoy Thai rail, travel 3rd class just once! Good travelling on one of the cheapest rail systems anywhere!

Thanks everyone; so no bugs, curtains for privacy, beds made up for you - what more could I ask for? I found some pics of the cabins - looks pretty ok to me. BTW there are some fantastic websites in Thailand; I was picturing a third world country but somehow I think NOT! The food at the railway station - so it's ok to buy from street vendors then - no delhi belly or fried dog or anything? Back home it would be cat from the sidewalk, but that's another story. Thanks all. A