Thaksin: Special Security Protection For Me In Malaysia

webfact

FUGITIVE EX-PM

Special security protection for me in Malaysia : Thaksin

By Seksanti Kanlayanawisut

The Nation

Udon Thani

Published on July 14, 2009

Fugitive former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra confirmed yesterday that he had stayed overnight in Malaysia and had been provided with special-branch police security.

"My private jet stopped for refuelling in Malaysia and they sent 20 special-branch policemen to guard me. They love and care about me," Thaksin said in a phone-in to FM 97.5 Udon Lovers community radio station yesterday morning.

This is the first time that Thaksin has been so close to Thailand since he fled last year.

Thai authorities had said earlier that Thaksin was in Malaysia on July 4 and had left the next day for Fiji before Thai police could take action. Thaksin ended his island hopping in the South Pacific and flew back to Dubai last Friday.

In the radio programme, host Kwanchai Praipana, a staunch supporter of Thaksin, asked the ousted PM about his thoughts on the current government's performance.

The radio programme was also broadcast via the Internet so communities across the nation could listen in.

During the hour-long chat, Thaksin called on his red-shirt supporters to unite and prepare for the next elections.

"If there is an election we will have to come out in force like we did in Sakon Nakhon and Si Sa Ket, [where the by-elections were won by Pheu Thai Party], and change the direction of Thailand," he said.

He also added that should Pheu Thai win the elections and form the next government, it would make reconciliation possible.

Some 200 members of the Udon Lovers Club, which is associated with the radio programme, greeted the former premier, saying they missed him and wanted him to return to Thailand soon.

"You people [udon natives] are role models for red-shirt supporters nationwide. If I have a chance to return, I will buy a plot of land and build a house [in Udon Thani]," Thaksin told his supporters.

Later Kwanchai said he would evaluate the response to the phone-in and added that he might ask the former PM to call again if he felt the need to defend himself.

"For three years Thaksin has been facing accusations, and he has not been able to defend himself because the state media has shut its door on him. So, our community radios nationwide should allow him to be heard," the host said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009/07/14

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will build a house in Udon!

Oh' so sweet, sweet mouth...isn't he a real darlin' - how far will he go?

"For three years Thaksin has been facing accusations, and he has not been able to defend himself because the state media has shut its door on him. So, our community radios nationwide should allow him to be heard," the host said.

Same, same oldstory - he can come back any time and face the music - what reconciliation is he talking about?

...should Pheu Thai win the elections and form the next government, it would make reconciliation possible.

...if they don't win a majority, it will mean the party with the majority or more votes then Puea Thai - has cheated - sure and the whole story will go on and on ....

Edited by Samuian

"You people [udon natives] are role models for red-shirt supporters nationwide. If I have a chance to return, I will buy a plot of land and build a house [in Udon Thani]," Thaksin told his supporters.

What a great statement! :)

Update:

Thaksin an embarrassment to Malaysian gov't: Thaworn

BANGKOK: -- Deputy Interior Minister Thaworn Senneam on Tuesday questioned the credibility of fugitive ex-premier Thaksin Shinawatra who claimed to have received VIP protection during a one-night transit in Malaysia last week.

"Thaksin is known for saying something but doing differently," he said in reaction Thaksin's account of his stop-over in Kuala Lumpur.

"Thaksin's boasting has just caused an embarrassment to the Malaysian authorities who are obligated to send him back," he said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009-07-14

Thaksin is proving to be one of Thailand's greatest comedians with his laughable statements.

So long as he stays away may he long amuse us with his ridiculous remarks.

The problem is he wants to come back.

Another huge problem is that millions of people like him as PM..Mind boggling.

Thaksin is proving to be one of Thailand's greatest comedians with his laughable statements.

So long as he stays away may he long amuse us with his ridiculous remarks.

The problem is he wants to come back.

Not mind boggling at all. Are you suggesting that all these millions are "intellectually challenged dolts" from the NE as the English media would have you believe? Have you ever stopped to consider the possibility that these people have legitimate reasons for re-electing him and the Democratic Samak/Somchai Governments that followed. I marvel at how Thai people are able to see through the orchestrated media demonization campaign of Thaksin. They are much more astute than the Farangs who populate this forumn. They see through the media propaganda which has most farangs so ensnared. They have a historical perspective and a clear awareness of their self-interest. Some people suggest that large sectors of society cannot vote responsibly and accordingly, others have a better opinion of what is best for them. Arrogance that knows no bounds. Voters in all legitimate Democracies vote in their own best self-interest, and the majority is elected accordingly. To abort this process leads to national instability wherever it occurs.

It is all about getting PR and keeping things in the news in the great PR game. A fewe Thai analysts are now starting to finally realise this

Looks like the BKK Post as figured this also. At least more so than The Nation.

If he indeed DID get this special treatment...I wonder if he will the next time he visits Malaysia after he brags about it and makes them lose face about doing it while having an agreement to sent him back on sight...

wonder if the 'ambassador' will get summoned to explain this one.

way to lose face for your host.

The only people losing face about Thaksin are in Thailand. The Anti-Democrats of Thailand cannot have this icon of democratic electoral legitimacy running about continually reminding the world of their illegitimacy. If I was hoisted into power through non-electoral means, and need militia type protection any time I venture outside Bangkok, I wouldn't want someone running around reminding people of when it was otherwise - legitimate and able to travel about in his own country without protection.

If he indeed DID get this special treatment...I wonder if he will the next time he visits Malaysia after he brags about it and makes them lose face about doing it while having an agreement to sent him back on sight...

Who is losing face? Where does that come from? Are you saying anyone internationally who doesn't agree with the current unelected Government in Thaland loses face when not abiding by their wishes. Preposterous.

The only people losing face about Thaksin are in Thailand. The Anti-Democrats of Thailand cannot have this icon of democratic electoral legitimacy running about continually reminding the world of their illegitimacy. If I was hoisted into power through non-electoral means, and need militia type protection any time I venture outside Bangkok, I wouldn't want someone running around reminding people of when it was otherwise - legitimate and able to travel about in his own country without protection.

*Yawn*

Thaksin never was and never will be pro-democracy. To claim so is to expose ones ignorance. You mustn't have lived her under his rule or gained such favors that your didn't care who or what rights that got trampled on.

But I am sure that by the time this post is sent to the site via the [Add Reply]-button you are already on your todays 7th post of propaganda-writing in several different treads with no interest whatsoever to back anything up with facts but to paint the same picture again and again, hoping that repetition will make the lie become true.

Who is losing face? Where does that come from? Are you saying anyone internationally who doesn't agree with the current unelected Government in Thaland loses face when not abiding by their wishes. Preposterous.

Again you expose your lack of knowledge or care for facts.

Regarding Malaysia, they have already expressed a clear 'agreement of understanding' regarding Thaksin and this was declared in the papers too.

Ofcourse no country has to oblige any country they don't agree with but that would never either cause them to lose face when they act against it.

I think you have lost the plot.

*Yawn*

Thaksin never was and never will be pro-democracy. To claim so is to expose ones ignorance. You mustn't have lived her under his rule or gained such favors that your didn't care who or what rights that got trampled on.

But I am sure that by the time this post is sent to the site via the [Add Reply]-button you are already on your todays 7th post of propaganda-writing in several different treads with no interest whatsoever to back anything up with facts but to paint the same picture again and again, hoping that repetition will make the lie become true.

So according to you I am exposing my ignorance Huh! I write knowledgably my friend with exactly that - historical fact. I am not propagandizing my fellowposter and friend. It is not me "parrotting" the English language media. Backing up with facts and evidence? - try me, lets get it on. where do we start? I will enjoy debating with you or anyone else. I caution you however, that my cause is the cause of one-person-one-vote electoral democracy, of which icon Thaksin has the best record here in Thailand.

So according to you I am exposing my ignorance Huh! I write knowledgably my friend with exactly that - historical fact. I am not propagandizing my fellowposter and friend. It is not me "parrotting" the English language media. Backing up with facts and evidence? - try me, lets get it on. where do we start? I will enjoy debating with you or anyone else. I caution you however, that my cause is the cause of one-person-one-vote electoral democracy, of which icon Thaksin has the best record here in Thailand.

See, you cannot even write a single reply without sad propaganda injected into it.

And could you stop with you formatting into italic? Unless you are posting drunk and need your own text to look straight, it just annoys people.

I don't think anyone disagrees with the notion of one person, one vote. It is the basis, but not the sole pre-requisite, of a healthy democracy. To believe in democracy you believe in the worth of a persons vote, you respect the voice of your opposition, you respect the need - and indeed fight for - independent balanced instututions such as courts, police, army etc. You don't close down opposition newspapers and threaten your opposition with liable suits at every turn.

So no, my question to you is simply this: Is Thaksin a democrat in the true sense of the word?

Edited by samran

They see through the media propaganda which has most farangs so ensnared. They have a historical perspective and a clear awareness of their self-interest.

------------------------------------

ferwert!!!

People up here in isaan, many of them, says that he is a good man, some time in the past he handed out some money

and that is all they know or remember of him....

When tell them that Thailand is looking for him because he do not pay his taxes, they do not really understand.... Tax, aha the tax of 6 baht for a rice field, what is the problem they think!!

So ferwert, That thai can see through propaganda.. maybe truth in one house, but not at all in the villages up here in Northeast.

People like Thaksin can survive and florish thanks to; not reading newspapers, not looking at TV or simply doesnt have time to have an interest of a guy that they anyhow cannot get rid of.

A country of more education will NEVER let thaksin rub Thailand of Billions of bahts..

Glegolo

*Yawn*

Sure one person one vote is a facet of democracy but isnt everyone equal before the law too? Why should Thaksin receive special treatement and not have his day in court the same as every other Thai person? Popularity or wealth should never interfere with this basic in a democratic country or democracy ceases to exist. There are other facets of democracy too.

Quite simple; they were much better off under him and his proxies than they were under the previous Chuan Leekpai Democrat government and under this current majority Democrat coalition.

Thaksin's visit to Malaysia shows yet again the region's other governments aren't concerned about him nor do they fully recognise the current Thai government's charges for extradition and arrest.

Thaksin's visit to Malaysia shows yet again the region's other governments aren't concerned about him nor do they fully recognise the current Thai government's charges for extradition and arrest.

At least you know all in detail...

is your "Oberkommando" supplying his bodyguards and intelligence?

Sure one person one vote is a facet of democracy but isnt everyone equal before the law too? Why should Thaksin receive special treatement and not have his day in court the same as every other Thai person? Popularity or wealth should never interfere with this basic in a democratic country or democracy ceases to exist. There are other facets of democracy too.

There are laws designed to protect certain people and other laws are used by and to protect the rich and powerful in Thailand.

There is no equality here in the eyes of the law here and never will be.

How can you guarantee Thaksin a fair trial when he was ousted by a military coup, ostracised and had a propaganda war conducted against him for the last 3 years? Simply put, you cannot.

Saying he should face justice now to serve as an example is laughably hypocritical considering his opponents were unwilling and unable to remove him by the very legal and proper means they now wish to subject him to.

They set the precedent.