Int. Freight Forwarder For Food Products

Eggmeng

Anyone know a reliable freight forwarder who can handle air freighted exports of food products such as curry paste in bulk quantities? Destination is Canada.

My experience has been that the usual big couriers such as UPS and DHL won't touch this stuff, and that many forwarders don't either.

Thanks

Anyone know a reliable freight forwarder who can handle air freighted exports of food products such as curry paste in bulk quantities? Destination is Canada.

My experience has been that the usual big couriers such as UPS and DHL won't touch this stuff, and that many forwarders don't either.

Thanks

Hi,

Send me a PM and I'll give you a phone number for a lady that worked for me for ten years shiping seafood. She's great and will guide you through the process.

Cheers,

David

Thanks

You can try any airlines directly and send them as Cargo. You may declare them as Foodstuff.

Don't know if Thai flies to Canada, but Emirates Airlines flies daily from Bangkok-Dubai-Toronto :)

Paste - that means water and added to dry ingreidents, water usualy adds something like 100% - 500% to the transport cost (dependign on the amount of water of course). But of course it can also be a consolidator i.e. the added weight cost been saved through the reduced volume cost.

Anyway, one point remains: wet foodstuffs are usualy more complicated when it comes to export - more rules & regs to be satisfied.

I know its not the question you asked, so excuse me for jumping the gun - but you have already dealt with the pros & cons regards the above points?

DHL/FEDEX/UPS are not really "shippers", they are couriers. I'm sure there is a way to get DHL/UPS ect ect ... to handle your product, but they sure as hel_l would not be cheap - in fact, they would almost certainly be your most expensive options.

Is this paste going to tinned, vacum'd in plastic packets, plastic bottles in 12 x 12 format, bulk metric ... what will the packaging be?

Thailand has lot and lots of food processors - go to any supermarket and go look on the shelf that has all the Thai/far East food sauces and pastes. I would think about half of them will have something along the following lines written on the packaging/container;

"Made and packed in Thailand on behalf of XXYYZZ" - thats the detail you want, because XXYYZZ will more than likely turn out to be a 3rd party processor producing on behalf of the brand-name holder.

Now backtrack the product in your own country to the brandname IP owner, and ask them how they get the stuff from Thailand to Canada - and that will be your shipper/shipping agent, and they will know exactly what rules & regs have to be satisfied.

... just some ideas.

Thanks

Many large food product companies already selling curry pastes to US and Canada. My suggestion is to check in a local Asian grocer in Canada for a product you like and contact them to buy a bulk quantity. They will already have packaging and import issues solved. They will also probably be shipping container loads of the stuff. Mae Ploy Brand is a big brand in the states. It comes in a 7 or 14 oz. plastic container and is packaged inside that in a bag.

In a similar vein, I shall shortly need some to handle 'groupage' out of Bangkok or Laem Chabang.

Specifically, I am looking for someone to handle a mixed container of foodstuffs from Thailand to UK.

Any recommendations ?

Yes, we're familiar with the relatively mediocre factory-made curry pastes that are loaded with preservative and sold in supermarkets overseas, and so is our client. He is interested in a superior handmade product for resale to restaurateurs. That's what we'll be supplying.

Yes, we're familiar with the relatively mediocre factory-made curry pastes that are loaded with preservative and sold in supermarkets overseas, and so is our client. He is interested in a superior handmade product for resale to restaurateurs. That's what we'll be supplying.

I beg to differ. Most of the factory made curry pastes are probably as good as or better, certainly more consistent, than handmade products found here in Thailand. Better to get your tumeric, galangale, ginger, garlic and herbs and spices fresh in the west and pulverize them there. All of the ingredients are readily available in all Asian markets throughout North America. Good Luck.

I beg to differ. Most of the factory made curry pastes are probably as good as or better, certainly more consistent, than handmade products found here in Thailand. Better to get your tumeric, galangale, ginger, garlic and herbs and spices fresh in the west and pulverize them there. All of the ingredients are readily available in all Asian markets throughout North America. Good Luck.

To put my view in perspective, we've been teaching Westerners from all over the world to cook Thai food in Thailand for 10 years. We also sell a range of Thai food ingredients, as well as instructional videos which include a 30 minute documentary we made about the source of Thai cooking foodstuffs.

I think there is a contradiction in what you wrote. I haven't been in the West for a few years, but the last time I was there, the factory made pastes appeared to come from Thailand. The export product needs to be first sauteed, and then loaded with preservative to survive the trip and extended storage in overseas supermarkets. They are nowwhere near as flavorful as a freshly ground product. It's like comparing bottled tomato sauce with freshly made.

You seem to agree, and as you say, anyone in the West grinding their own paste from fresh herbs is going to get a superior result - similar to what we produce in our daily Thai cooking classes, where we recommend to our students that they try this. I assume our Canadian client (who's a professional chef) looked into this option and decided it wasn't practical in resale quantities.

BTW, as you may know, the importation of fresh kaffir lime leaves into the US (and I believe Australia) is prohibited due to citrus pest concerns. So either the curry paste coming into those countries from Thailand does not contain this often essential ingredient, or the kafffir lime leaf in it has been dried and/or pulverized to the point of near oblivion.

• 1 month later...

Thanks

Hi,

Send me a PM and I'll give you a phone number for a lady that worked for me for ten years shiping seafood. She's great and will guide you through the process.

Cheers,

David

Hi - i am new and am interested in exporting some food items from Thailand to UK. How do i PM you??

BTW, as you may know, the importation of fresh kaffir lime leaves into the US (and I believe Australia) is prohibited due to citrus pest concerns. So either the curry paste coming into those countries from Thailand does not contain this often essential ingredient, or the kafffir lime leaf in it has been dried and/or pulverized to the point of near oblivion.

I am able to buy fresh kaffir leaves in Chicago. I know that has nothing to do with the topic but I don't want others reading to be misinformed.