Opening A Bank Account In Thailand

Is it possible to open a bank account and a credit card account under a Non-O visa? As most banks are implying that a work permit is required. I was wondering how people with a Non-O are able and if they can open such accounts.

Andy

Is it possible to open a bank account and a credit card account under a Non-O visa? As most banks are implying that a work permit is required. I was wondering how people with a Non-O are able and if they can open such accounts.

Andy

no problem at all with Kasikorn, got ATM card immedeatly also

Andy

Bank account yes and web based virtual credit card linked to the balance in your account also yes.

Get Siam Commercial Bank - 2 accounts and internet banking. Why ? because you use one card but keep only a limited balance in that account. You can transfer online and by ATM. By far the easiest and best online of the main banks.

Get Kasikorn Bank (Green one) and get their webcard. Apply for account (again get two) and then aply for their webcard. Totally virtual but free and up to Bt100k at a time.Linked to your balance on the account so again, the two accounts mean you can transfer.

With these banks and Bangkok Bank and a couple of others, you can transfer, instantly, up to 50k between banks on the net and up to 100k a day. Very useful.

Siam Commercial is the best for things like paying bills and topping up your mobile (extra credit free).

All accounts offer debit cards which cost about Bt300 and then Bt100 a year I think.

Get back if you need any further information.

No, problem opening a bankaccount. But soemtimes you need to try sevral banks before they will allow it.

Take a Thai friend or the landlord with you to vouch for you. Especialy if you go to their branch office. Might save you some trouble and time.

No, problem opening a bankaccount. But soemtimes you need to try sevral banks before they will allow it.

Take a Thai friend or the landlord with you to vouch for you. Especialy if you go to their branch office. Might save you some trouble and time.

Never needed a Thai friend or landlord at any bank. Just passport. I don't even think I took any address documentation and I know for some I didn't as I didn't have any !

If you do in the tourist areas where they speak English you are usually ok but I've found regional offices where you can find a young girl who can speak English and you're ok. If you don't find one who can speak English you can still win as long as you can get them to understand "new account" because they just fast track it to avoid issues. You can of course meet the wall of silence as they all try to avoid you !

I've opened them with just a hotel room as an address or just made something up. I may however have taken a tenency agreement with me, I cannot be sure.

Andy

I opened an account wituh Kasikorn on a tourist visa and even got internet banking, and internet shopping card as well which the Bangkok bank would not give me.

Generally I am very impressed with their service.

Andy

I opened an account wituh Kasikorn on a tourist visa and even got internet banking, and internet shopping card as well which the Bangkok bank would not give me.

Generally I am very impressed with their service.

Lots of positive sharing, however bank managers do have the freedom to make their own interpretation, so can I suggest you get some branch names from the posters with the positive experiences.

Why? Because last week I tried to open an account at a new branch of one of the very high profile Thai banks very close to the university where I teach. I've had PR for about 14 years, and I've had a Work Permit for nearly 20 years . The answer from the manager was an absolute NO, 'farang are not allowed to open an account with Thai banks, It's the law of Thailand".

Lots of positive sharing, however bank managers do have the freedom to make their own interpretation, so can I suggest you get some branch names from the posters with the positive experiences.

Why? Because last week I tried to open an account at a new branch of one of the very high profile Thai banks very close to the university where I teach. I've had PR for about 14 years, and I've had a Work Permit for nearly 20 years . The answer from the manager was an absolute NO, 'farang are not allowed to open an account with Thai banks, It's the law of Thailand".

I am not at all sure that I would agree with this advice. From reading the many TV prior threads on this topic, and from my own experiences, I don't think there is any point at all in recommending specific banks or bank branches (for foreigners to go to when opening an account):

1. I think these instances of inappropriate refusals are as much a function of the (lack of) knowedge or attitudes of individual bank staff as they are a reflection of the policy of the respective branch manager, OR the policy of that particular bank's Head office.

2. To the extent that each staff member's advice to customers DOES reflect their manager's position, then I think this varies from one week to the next, for example if they are down on their quota towards the end of the month, if they recruit a new member of staff who can speak English, etc

In other words farang X goes to a specific branch one week and gets his/her account no problems, farang Y goes to the same branch the following week and gets told "farang cannot".

I think this lack of consistency would be more obvious to everyone if we just had one ongoing "opening a thai bank account" thread running in Thaivisa, instead of two new ones every week.

I would also note that this situation applies to not only new account opening, but also sale of specific financial products like bonds & fixed-term accounts. I think staff training (or lack thereof) is one of the core issues here.

Which Electric ATM Card at SAKIKOR BANK is good to connect to Paypal account?

Is possible to withdraw in Vietnam by this ATM card?

I want to go Bangkok to open account there with only Passport and Hotel address. ( I don't have permit job and any Thai Friend there) Is possible to do this?

Someone can show me the address of SAKIKOR Bank to do because I will come Bangkok only 2days and back Vietnam

Thank you very much

Edited by truongkhoa

I want to go Bangkok to open account there with only Passport and Hotel address. ( I don't have permit job and any Thai Friend there) Is possible to do this?

Someone can show me the address of SAKIKOR Bank to do because I will come Bangkok only 2days and back Vietnam

Thank you very much

There is no such bank as "Sakikor" in Thailand ... do you mean Kasikorn?

If yes then go to www.kasikornbank.com. Possibly it will also answer your question about using the ATM card in Vietnam. You should be able to open an account but you may have to visit several banks before finding a staff member that agrees to do so. You can use their virtual visa card to use with PayPal, although you will probably need a Thai address to use with establishing the PayPal account.

Edited by chiangmaibruce

Andy

Bank account yes and web based virtual credit card linked to the balance in your account also yes.

Get Siam Commercial Bank - 2 accounts and internet banking. Why ? because you use one card but keep only a limited balance in that account. You can transfer online and by ATM. By far the easiest and best online of the main banks.

Get Kasikorn Bank (Green one) and get their webcard. Apply for account (again get two) and then aply for their webcard. Totally virtual but free and up to Bt100k at a time.Linked to your balance on the account so again, the two accounts mean you can transfer.

With these banks and Bangkok Bank and a couple of others, you can transfer, instantly, up to 50k between banks on the net and up to 100k a day. Very useful.

Siam Commercial is the best for things like paying bills and topping up your mobile (extra credit free).

All accounts offer debit cards which cost about Bt300 and then Bt100 a year I think.

Get back if you need any further information.

Great post. Thanks for the info and good thinking on the 2 account approach

Thank you very much

There is no such bank as "Sakikor" in Thailand ... do you mean Kasikorn?

If yes then go to www.kasikornbank.com. Possibly it will also answer your question about using the ATM card in Vietnam. You should be able to open an account but you may have to visit several banks before finding a staff member that agrees to do so. You can use their virtual visa card to use with PayPal, although you will probably need a Thai address to use with establishing the PayPal account.

So, When i go to Kasikorn Bank.

I said:" Please help me open account ATM card to checking account online and receive money from Paypal."

But i don't know exactly the name of CARD will be useful for Paypal and withdraw in Vietnam?

Any ideas?

Thanks

Khoa

Andy

YES!

About 2 months ago, opened an account with Kasikorn. They didn't question anything. They were helpful and very friendly. Highly recommend this bank.

I said:" Please help me open account ATM card to checking account online and receive money from Paypal."

But i don't know exactly the name of CARD will be useful for Paypal and withdraw in Vietnam?

Any ideas?

Thanks

Khoa

Go to top right this page where it says "search". Look for previous threads discussing using paypal in thailand. or just scroll back through the threads in this sub-forum to find them. Many prior threads and they all mention kasikorn bank. i think the card is called a 'virtual visa card'

Any ideas?

Thanks

Khoa

Go to top right this page where it says "search". Look for previous threads discussing using paypal in thailand. or just scroll back through the threads in this sub-forum to find them. Many prior threads and they all mention kasikorn bank. i think the card is called a 'virtual visa card'

What is THE VIRTUAL VISA CARD?

Do you have any link direct to Kasikorn Bank instruction about IRTUAL VISA CARD

Thanks

What is THE VIRTUAL VISA CARD?

Do you have any link direct to Kasikorn Bank instruction about IRTUAL VISA CARD

Thanks

Mate, can you use www.google.co.th? go there, put in "kasikorn virtual visa card" and press enter

Here is one of the paypal threads i mentioned ... http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Pay-Pal-t243338.html

Ok now, I came across this in the Kasikorn Bank web site - I think this is the card they were talking about in the PayPal threads:

http://www.kasikornbank.com/portal/site/KB...mp;vgnextpage=3

For English, go to https://ebank.kasikornbank.com/kcyber/login.html#

click on, K-Web Shopping Card

That will/should take you to the Debit card info.