Phuket Expats Going Home

keestha

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you go out every night and eat at restaurants every day yes i can see how it is expensive, don't buy imported foods, do stay in more, it is that simple.

Ohh what fun.. so your advice is stay in and have a local diet only..

Some of us live here like that quite happily, I can afford to eat out at restaurants every day of the year, but enjoy home cooked thai food. Go out when I feel like it, if I was living in my native country I wouldn't be going out to restaurants much or going to the bars as often as i go here.

Staying in as a part of how you want to live is one thing..

But advising staying in and eating cheap when people say the cost of living is rising or high just strikes me as laughable.. I mean had no one thought of that before.. An equal alternative might be 'make more money' if your finding things expensive.

OK i live in Phuket and don't have a problem with the cost of living and here is why;

1. Electricity is the same price as any where in Thailand

2. Telephone / Internet (see above)

3. Monthly / weekly shop at Lotus, Big C (See above)

4. Water (See above)

5. TV sat / cable (See above)

If you go out every night and eat at restaurants every day yes i can see how it is expensive, don't buy imported foods, do stay in more, it is that simple.

I feel sorry for the guys that have invested money in businesses here only to have them fail because of the present economical situation, lets hope we have a good high season, from the looks of things there will be less competition.

I mostly agree with what you've written, Phuket does not have to be more expensive than many other expat destinations in Thailand, it all comes down to individual lifestyle - I spend as much here in Phuket each month as I used to spend living in Chiang Mai. But I also agree with LivinLos in that staying in more is not the answer for those feeling the pinch, working or moving might be.

I read what everyone has been saying and thinking am I doing the right thing selling up here in New Zealand and moving to retire in Phuket.

I admit I have the money to buy or lease a nice house and no problems with money as I will meet the OA visa monthly income............BUT........Even though I love Thailand and the culture the climate.

I think at times am I crazy or is the other expats leaving that lovely climate,, It seems that most are leaving and it is due to lack of funds,.......The hassles,, Try living in Egypt then you will Know about hassles.

No, From what I have read up to date I think I am going to enjoy my retirement in Phuket :)

When times are good people put up with a lot of dung. But change the money/political climate and they will leave because of too much hassle. And you don't have to look far in Thailand to find some.

A pal of mine living in Phuket for 11 years, with not a minute of bother, had hassle and problems renewing his yearly visa this week.

Why do they do this?? Have they any grey matter at all in their heads?? Times are tough...tourists are down...the country is in dire straits so what do we do? Yes...make more regulations, have more investigations and make it harder for the ex pats living here.

Good call lads....good call. For a circus that is.,

I don't know what problems your 'pal' had renewing his visa after 11 years , but we've been here for 7 and were in and out of immigration in 40 minutes with lots of smiles all round.

Maybe as we went at 3.15 and they shut at 4.0 they were more anxious to get rid of us?

OK i live in Phuket and don't have a problem with the cost of living and here is why;

4. Water (See above)

I feel sorry for the guys that have invested money in businesses here only to have them fail because of the present economical situation, lets hope we have a good high season, from the looks of things there will be less competition.

I mostly agree with what you've written, Phuket does not have to be more expensive than many other expat destinations in Thailand, it all comes down to individual lifestyle - I spend as much here in Phuket each month as I used to spend living in Chiang Mai. But I also agree with LivinLos in that staying in more is not the answer for those feeling the pinch, working or moving might be.

Exactly, that was the point i was trying to get across, probably worded it incorrectly.

4. Water (See above)

kbb add

6. gasoline/diesel

7. purchase of new vehicles

8. maintanence on home

9. tvs, computers, homeappliances

10. clothes, if same

I keep on reading all these posts about how expensive Phuket is. I have another home elsewhere in LOS, and the prices for goods are all the same. I also spend some time countryside, and all the goods I need cost the same. They are just much harder to find.

Eating and drinking out is in general more expensive in Phuket than countryside, and a new motorbike may cost 1 or 2 k more. But my living costs are basicly the same all over the country to keep my lifestyle.

Very simple equation,live like you would retired in your home country.

I had 1 year in England before deciding to live in Thailand,and i went out a couple of times in the week and ate a couple of times in local english/indian restaraunts.I do exactly the same here for half the cost based on water,leckie,gas,no rates,cheaper housing,cheaper petrol,cheaper booze,cheaper ciggies(i dont smoke though) etc etc.

What is the problem??????????????????????????

i think people spend more on booze,ciggie and bar girls then complain its tooe xpensive,now thats an early grave,everything in moderation

Very simple equation,live like you would retired in your home country.

I had 1 year in England before deciding to live in Thailand,and i went out a couple of times in the week and ate a couple of times in local english/indian restaraunts.I do exactly the same here for half the cost based on water,leckie,gas,no rates,cheaper housing,cheaper petrol,cheaper booze,cheaper ciggies(i dont smoke though) etc etc.

What is the problem??????????????????????????

i think people spend more on booze,ciggie and bar girls then complain its tooe xpensive,now thats an early grave,everything in moderation

Live like I would in the UK ??

Merc for me.. Maybe a range rover for the missus..

High Def Sky package 45 quid a month

8Mbit internet.

Explain where I am saving money again ??

4. Water (See above)

kbb add

6. gasoline/diesel

8. maintanence on home

10. clothes, if same

I keep on reading all these posts about how expensive Phuket is. I have another home elsewhere in LOS, and the prices for goods are all the same. I also spend some time countryside, and all the goods I need cost the same. They are just much harder to find.

Eating and drinking out is in general more expensive in Phuket than countryside, and a new motorbike may cost 1 or 2 k more. But my living costs are basicly the same all over the country to keep my lifestyle.

Dont see that at all..

Chiang mai.. V Phuket

Housing / accomodation.. half price up there.

Eating out.. Close to half price and quality on a different level

Even down to the tiny stuff.. espresso coffee up there 25 baht.. Patong 125 !!

Yes of course UBC, electricity, etc is nationwide costs.. Supermarket shopping and imported goods generally close but overall theres a huge price difference.

4. Water (See above)

kbb add

6. gasoline/diesel

8. maintanence on home

10. clothes, if same

Dont see that at all..

Chiang mai.. V Phuket

Housing / accomodation.. half price up there. yes, if you rent. I buy or build, which is some cheaper, but not much.

Eating out.. Close to half price and quality on a different level. Beer and wine same price, which makes up half the eatoutbill. Some food out cheaper, but this doesnt affect my householdbudget much.

Even down to the tiny stuff.. espresso coffee up there 25 baht.. Patong 125 !! I dont drink coffee :D Besides prices in Patong are insane, Phuket is more than Patong. :)

My neighborhood thaifood restaurant in Kata gets me a great meal with softdrink at 90 baht

Yes of course UBC, electricity, etc is nationwide costs.. Supermarket shopping and imported goods generally close but overall theres a huge price difference.

Living in CM or Hua Hin is approx 10 % less than Phuket for me. Living countryside (which I dont want), would probably cost as Phuket because of much car driving.

Chiang mai.. V Phuket

Housing / accomodation.. half price up there. yes, if you rent. I buy or build, which is some cheaper, but not much.

Well my buddy just bought a house up there.. Nice HUGE 4 bedroom.. On a Hang Dong estate.. Would have been a 10 mil house down here.. For 4m baht.

House on 2 rai of gardens.. 4 bed.. Multi car garage spaces.. for 6.5 And you consider that 'not much' difference to phuket ??

http://www.chiangmaihouse.com/listing-hous...-sale-2464.html

Care to show me any nice listings for a house on 2 rai of land for 'not much' more then 6.5 mil ??

Sorry to keep on it.. But Phukets pricing is WAY more than Hua Hin / CM / Bang Seang / etc.. 180 baht gin and tonics (multiple around.. using cheap gin too) or 300 baht bottles of beer (sound club). To say it isnt is dreaming.

Yesterday an acquaintance who lives in Chalong told me that a lot of the foreigners living in his area have left because of visa problems / job loss / failing businesses.

Do you Phuket expats have the same experience?

Yes i am one of those who lived in Phuket for more than Sixteen years loved it and still do, maried to my thai wife more than twenty years with a sixteen yeat old Daughter, but Phuket just priced itself out of our pocket, well we all moved to Bangsaphan five months ago, Land is about one tenth the price of Phuket, you can rent a shop house from 2000 bt a month. a smale house 2/3000 bt a month and we have good beaches, cost of living proberly 20% of Phuket price, and the People are real kind Thais come + look you can bring up Bangsaphan Guid on Google.

Sorry No Girlie Bars

hi mate your post caught my eye , i have never been to Bangsaphan , do you have any contacts for agents , i am keen to get an idea on land and is it possible to get sea views ??

cheers

Chiang mai.. V Phuket

Well my buddy just bought a house up there.. Nice HUGE 4 bedroom.. On a Hang Dong estate.. Would have been a 10 mil house down here.. For 4m baht.

House on 2 rai of gardens.. 4 bed.. Multi car garage spaces.. for 6.5 And you consider that 'not much' difference to phuket ??

Care to show me any nice listings for a house on 2 rai of land for 'not much' more then 6.5 mil ??

Sorry to keep on it.. But Phukets pricing is WAY more than Hua Hin / CM / Bang Seang / etc.. 180 baht gin and tonics (multiple around.. using cheap gin too) or 300 baht bottles of beer (sound club). To say it isnt is dreaming.

have a look at Land & House Park, Thailands largest villa developer. When they build identical houses in Phuket and CM, price different is like Phuket 3,9 and CM 3,3. In CM there is no increase in value (due to extreme amount of land available), but in Phuket there has been an increase in value of 50% last 5 years. As an owner, thats cheaper housing in Phuket.

If you want a house with 2 rai, sure its much cheaper in CM or HH. I just sold 1 rai in HH 6 km from towncenter at 2 mill baht. Cant find in Phuket. But beachfront in HH town (Naebkehardt where I live) is 16 mill a Rai and very hard to find. Like Phuket.

Sure you can find 300 baht beer in Phuket, but why go there? Kangoroo bar in Bangla is still 70 baht for San Mig and 120 baht for GT. Anyone better in CM or HH?

Well, I live both places, HH and Phuket, and my livingcosts are basicly the same.

have a look at Land & House Park, Thailands largest villa developer. When they build identical houses in Phuket and CM, price different is like Phuket 3,9 and CM 3,3. In CM there is no increase in value (due to extreme amount of land available), but in Phuket there has been an increase in value of 50% last 5 years. As an owner, thats cheaper housing in Phuket.

And Phukets prices have been falling like a stone for the last year.. Expensive housing !!

Land and houses is just a posh moobaan.. Not really my style.. Like some space and views..

Still waiting for the 4 bed house on 2 rai for close to 6.x million.. That was just one of many I saw without trying to look.

Edited by LivinLOS

Chiang mai.. V Phuket

The house you provided a link for appears not to be in Hang Dong but to the north, almost in the middle of nowhere! Sorry, but that's a not a fair comparison with Phuket prices, has to be like for like, including location.

You didnt seem to read.. My mates house which is a big 4 bedder on Hang Dong was 4 million.. Phuket price for a pile of this size would be at least 8 - 10..

The one I link above is just near the Maejo University, but is just one of 10's it was just the first cheap deal I could link..

Phuket Real Estate prices are double Chiang Mai and overall I would agree that Phuket is Pricey.

Yep pricy, but Phuket is an island with dozens of beaches some busy some not, hundreds of other islands in Phang Nga,international airport, two international hospitals, two international schools, 3 western shoping malls, 5 or 6 world class golf courses, more bars than you can wave a stick at and is not a weee little northern town with a couple of big lakes and air pollution that could kill you at the wrong time of year.I like Chang mai for a weekend break, live there Duh don't think so.

So phuket can be expensive but it still gets my vote still makes britan look well you know

Have to agree I'm afraid, it's all well and good to be able to buy a large house on a decent sized plot for say 4 mill., but that's not all there is to the picture is it. I for one do not want to live in the middle of nowhere or even so remote from shopping/facilities/entertainment that the best solution becomes flying from CM to Bangkok in order to reach those things - I speak from experience on this point since I spent much of the last year I lived in CM either trying to escape polluted air or trying to find other places that had more to offer. So yes, property prices are higher in Phuket than in CM but as they say in that particular trade, it's all about location, location, location. For my part I reckon it's also a question of getting what you pay for.

And Phukets prices have been falling like a stone for the last year.. Expensive housing !!

Land and houses is just a posh moobaan.. Not really my style.. Like some space and views..

Still waiting for the 4 bed house on 2 rai for close to 6.x million.. That was just one of many I saw without trying to look.

Agree about Land & House as a posh moo baan, only lived there for 2 years. But since they build identical houses in several LOS location, I use them for comparison. Identical houses on identical size land plots in equal projects are less than 20% more expensive to purchase new in Phuket than CM. Value in Land & House Phuket seems to be back on 2007 level, which is still 50% up for my property there. If I had purchsed in L&H CM when I looked at it in 2005, I would have had a loss selling today. Thats expensive housing :)

Phuket Real Estate prices are double Chiang Mai and overall I would agree that Phuket is Pricey.

Yep pricy, but Phuket is an island with dozens of beaches some busy some not, hundreds of other islands in Phang Nga,international airport, two international hospitals, two international schools, 3 western shoping malls, 5 or 6 world class golf courses, more bars than you can wave a stick at and is not a weee little northern town with a couple of big lakes and air pollution that could kill you at the wrong time of year.I like Chang mai for a weekend break, live there Duh don't think so.

So phuket can be expensive but it still gets my vote still makes britan look well you know

Yes Phuket has amenities.. But theres also a huge dollop of resentment, rising rip offs, break ins, and a sadly increasing vibe of being pushed around and abused simply as your the farang income stream which I didnt feel as strongly just a few years back. CM just feels like normal people living normal lives somehow.. I was still 'farang' but it came without the 'rip me off' badge I feel I am wearing here.

I have had 8 good years here on Phuket, but I have no good Thai friends (well sort of 1), despite trying many times and many ways, I feel no integration here. A buddy who just moved to CM has a doctor Thai neighbour (charming intelligent guy, world aware, professional educated wife, very nice to talk to at a BBQ my mate hosted) in just a couple of weeks I was up there I was invited to mixed Thai / Farang BBQ social events based around the motorcycling clubs (I ride bikes, the ride country up there is world class), I struck up and had chats with Thai guys in bars and just around (without being expected to buy the beers), the area around the university had some great young Thai kids (with a future) wanting to try their english and also felt like generally there was a good social circle and friends for my wife, who I feel struggles to find genuine women with the right intentions for friendships here as much as guys do. Maybe the integration issue is my fault? but I have tried to get past it, it just feels the separation between the farang 'haves' and the non local Thai 'have nots' is a wide gulf that isnt shrinking.

However I am very torn.. Phuket has that lovely blue Andaman ocean.. Phuket has more airport connections.. I thought CM has hospitals too ?? I would say the shopping (foodstuffs and household) is a draw with rimping v carrefore.. Phuket has plenty of faux international tourist restaurants but CM seemed to have higher quality gourmet eateries and cafes.. CM also seemed more 'cultured' for example multiple bookshops with books in them that were not Dan Brown or other pulp. I would pick the CM climate with some seasons and less humidity personally, but close to a draw, I could see how someone preferred either.. The north has ride terrain.. To me the cost issue isnt a big concern, both places are easily affordable, sure cheaper helps, and I would probably have more of a 'spread' up there but down here your build investment probably has a higher return. I have never been up north during the smog, which frankly is a big deal to me, but I could leave the country for a month or two holiday around then easily enough. So its a question of mass tourism and the beach or a 'normal' Thai city and the mountains ??

As you can see its a subject I have given some thought to.. As it feels like time I built what will be my home for years (one I dont mind sinking substantial funds into) and theres my main fear, what direction is both of those places going in ?? Phuket to me feels like its over developing, the crime is getting worse, that local attitudes to pissed up badly behaved tourists is becoming one of increasing resentment (somewhat justified also), where those same tourists (who look like me) are fair game for plunder. Which place feels more sustainable for the next decade ??

Maybe I should just have a small (rental) place here and the larger homestead up there.. Then I can see which one I spend most time at over a couple of years. Which one I evolve into.. Its a small investment to make if I am thinking of a 10 - 20 million build cost villa. I swore I was going to move there around the new year but inertia, long term mates here, a couple of new business issues that I need my office setup and communications for, have all made it go onto the back burner which also might make it a 'absence makes the heart fonder' issue too..

Have to agree I'm afraid, it's all well and good to be able to buy a large house on a decent sized plot for say 4 mill., but that's not all there is to the picture is it. I for one do not want to live in the middle of nowhere or even so remote from shopping/facilities/entertainment that the best solution becomes flying from CM to Bangkok in order to reach those things - I speak from experience on this point since I spent much of the last year I lived in CM either trying to escape polluted air or trying to find other places that had more to offer. So yes, property prices are higher in Phuket than in CM but as they say in that particular trade, it's all about location, location, location. For my part I reckon it's also a question of getting what you pay for.

OK so help me out then..

What is it that you couldnt get in CM.. What is it you wanted that wasnt available..

I am not after a big house on a plot for 4m.. Thats not my motivation.. I was just using real estate adverts in a comparative way.. I do think property is cheaper up there and by a good margin, but thats only one small part of lifestyle.. Tho I am a bit of a hermit who likes a nice spacious home.. A projection cinema.. A good office.. A garage / workshop.. If I have my home right I can remain entertained doing my own thing without people, I dont mind being a bit out of town if I am surrounded by woodland and country, very much a country boy at heart.

I have been debating areas of the island away from the tourism.. Panwa.. Or even going more north.. I just cant decide if it would be the solution or the worst of all worlds (still the farang targeted in any thai / farang conflict but now in the sticks with it when I want a beer with my mates !!)..

I am genuinely interested in what it is you felt wasn't available there that is available here ? Thats the exact insight I need.

Edited by LivinLOS

Yes Phuket has amenities.. But theres also a huge dollop of resentment, rising rip offs, break ins, and a sadly increasing vibe of being pushed around and abused simply as your the farang income stream which I didnt feel as strongly just a few years back. CM just feels like normal people living normal lives somehow.. I was still 'farang' but it came without the 'rip me off' badge I feel I am wearing here.

I have had 8 good years here on Phuket, but I have no good Thai friends (well sort of 1), despite trying many times and many ways, I feel no integration here. A buddy who just moved to CM has a doctor Thai neighbour (charming intelligent guy, world aware, professional educated wife, very nice to talk to at a BBQ my mate hosted) in just a couple of weeks I was up there I was invited to mixed Thai / Farang BBQ social events based around the motorcycling clubs (I ride bikes, the ride country up there is world class), I struck up and had chats with Thai guys in bars and just around (without being expected to buy the beers), the area around the university had some great young Thai kids (with a future) wanting to try their english and also felt like generally there was a good social circle and friends for my wife, who I feel struggles to find genuine women with the right intentions for friendships here as much as guys do. Maybe the integration issue is my fault? but I have tried to get past it, it just feels the separation between the farang 'haves' and the non local Thai 'have nots' is a wide gulf that isnt shrinking.

However I am very torn.. Phuket has that lovely blue Andaman ocean.. Phuket has more airport connections.. I thought CM has hospitals too ?? I would say the shopping (foodstuffs and household) is a draw with rimping v carrefore.. Phuket has plenty of faux international tourist restaurants but CM seemed to have higher quality gourmet eateries and cafes.. CM also seemed more 'cultured' for example multiple bookshops with books in them that were not Dan Brown or other pulp. I would pick the CM climate with some seasons and less humidity personally, but close to a draw, I could see how someone preferred either.. The north has ride terrain.. To me the cost issue isnt a big concern, both places are easily affordable, sure cheaper helps, and I would probably have more of a 'spread' up there but down here your build investment probably has a higher return. I have never been up north during the smog, which frankly is a big deal to me, but I could leave the country for a month or two holiday around then easily enough. So its a question of mass tourism and the beach or a 'normal' Thai city and the mountains ??

As you can see its a subject I have given some thought to.. As it feels like time I built what will be my home for years (one I dont mind sinking substantial funds into) and theres my main fear, what direction is both of those places going in ?? Phuket to me feels like its over developing, the crime is getting worse, that local attitudes to pissed up badly behaved tourists is becoming one of increasing resentment (somewhat justified also), where those same tourists (who look like me) are fair game for plunder. Which place feels more sustainable for the next decade ??

Maybe I should just have a small (rental) place here and the larger homestead up there.. Then I can see which one I spend most time at over a couple of years. Which one I evolve into.. Its a small investment to make if I am thinking of a 10 - 20 million build cost villa. I swore I was going to move there around the new year but inertia, long term mates here, a couple of new business issues that I need my office setup and communications for, have all made it go onto the back burner which also might make it a 'absence makes the heart fonder' issue too..

I can easily agree with you on most points and have been thinking about a move myself either North or North East for a few years already. I also like to ride my bike even if its another kind of bike.

But it always ends in the back of my head and

I have end up travelling in the region or to Europe more frequently.

However I should really like to hear others with experience from living long time in Chiang Mai describe how bad this “smog” really are up in Chiang Mai. I have been there once, but so long ago that what I mostly remember is Doi Sutep and nice cool mornings.

OK so help me out then..

What is it that you couldnt get in CM.. What is it you wanted that wasnt available..

I am not after a big house on a plot for 4m.. Thats not my motivation.. I was just using real estate adverts in a comparative way.. I do think property is cheaper up there and by a good margin, but thats only one small part of lifestyle.. Tho I am a bit of a hermit who likes a nice spacious home.. A projection cinema.. A good office.. A garage / workshop.. If I have my home right I can remain entertained doing my own thing without people, I dont mind being a bit out of town if I am surrounded by woodland and country, very much a country boy at heart.

I have been debating areas of the island away from the tourism.. Panwa.. Or even going more north.. I just cant decide if it would be the solution or the worst of all worlds (still the farang targeted in any thai / farang conflict but now in the sticks with it when I want a beer with my mates !!)..

I am genuinely interested in what it is you felt wasn't available there that is available here ? Thats the exact insight I need.

I'm happy to give you my personal and truthful feelings about both places, at the risk of being slammed by the CM crowd. So before I begin let me just reinforce that these are my thoughts and everyone is likely to have different views and needs so don't all jump on me for expressing my thoughts here.

For me personally I enjoyed living in CM but I found myself getting very bored about every two weeks or so and would nip down to the airport and go to Bangkok, Pattaya or Phuket, just for a change of pace and scenery for a few days at a time - I used to joke at the time that I was nipping off to get back in touch with civilization because that was how I felt at times, remote and isolated. CM for me still has that small town feel about it which suits many people and indeed I enjoyed at times, but I found it very limiting from an interest perspective and would frequently get bored, I've never suffered that syndrome in Phuket and my life style really hasn't changed that much at all. Perhaps if I had lived most of my life in small towns or had a young family to raise I would view CM differently, but as things stand I have spent my life in cities such as Los Angeles, London, Paris, Bejing and Hong Kong and I enjoy a faster pace of life.

If I were to get bored in CM during the daytime I might visit a shopping mall or in the evening drop by one or two of the beer bars but both seem to lack the intensity, interest and vibrancy of their counterparts here in Phuket. I get a lot of satisfaction of driving from say Patong to Kata on the coast road and seeing the contrasting colours and scenery - it makes me remember that I am in the tropics and why I am in Phuket, it really is very beautiful and I can't think of a comparable satisfying experience in CM. Similarly in the malls, Airport Plaza is a very functional modern shopping center but it doesn't (for me at least) have the same vibrancy and international flavor that say Junceylon does.

Another factor that causes me to be biased in favour of Phuket over CM is the expat community. Most of the expats I met in beer bars in CM (and a couple of them are still good friends) tended to be penniless, living from hand to mouth and many had escaped to CM having run away from something in the West - good fun on occasion and often nice people but I felt I needed something else - the other group of expats that I knew were either involved in the educational system or owned businesses and all seemed to be very family orientated. At least here in Phuket I have a number of friends who are like me, single (as in not raising a family), financially secure and not opposed to taking a spur of the moment trip to say Hong Kong or Singapore for the weekend.

In summary, for me at least it's all about my surroundings and how interesting, vibrant and varied they are and for me Phuket works well. Mrs CM would dearly love us to move back to CM but she comes from a small town and enjoys a quiet life, me, I'm not to that stage in life where I want those things and doubt that I will ever be so. I was back in the UK earlier this moth looking for property to buy with a view to spending half my time in the UK and half in Thailand. My pre-requisites for buying a home in the UK were all about location - a nice quiet peaceful location, in a village with pleasant scenery but within five miles of an urban center. That's pretty much what I have at present - I'm up on the hillside in a very peaceful area of Patong with great views yet I'm only five minutes away from all the hub bub of Patong proper and I enjoy that mix, I don't think I could ever achieve a similar combination in CM.

Finally, I will not comment on the pollution issue in CM because that tends to be a very emotive subject that has been debated endlessly in this forum - I would suggest instead that you satisfy yourself, ideally before you make the move, whether it is something you can live with.

Hope that helps.

Edited by chiang mai

Thanks.. That makes a lot of sense..

I'm up on the hillside in a very peaceful area of Patong with great views yet I'm only five minutes away from all the hub bub of Patong proper and I enjoy that mix, I don't think I could ever achieve a similar combination in CM.

Well I spent 6 years around Patong.. and it was about 2 years too long.. I fact I was in a villa up on the same hill for a few years and I wont say I didnt have fun, but the constant hassle there means I am not a fan anymore and would never consider living in the Patong area again. That said I am still close enough to pop in but even then think I have been on Bangla twice or three times this year.. I did the party scene, emptying entire gogos and bringing 10 or so girls up to pool parties, acting like a rockstar and throwing 40k plus a night bashes every other week.. Ultimately its out of my system now and am happier with my GF and a normal life with less comedowns and hangovers.

I quite like the low key bar scene up there but admit I dont really have enough experience how many of the expats are.. I did notice a level of extreme penny pinching (free water :) ) there that made me laugh.

Finally, I will not comment on the pollution issue in CM because that tends to be a very emotive subject that has been debated endlessly in this forum - I would suggest instead that you satisfy yourself, ideally before you make the move, whether it is something you can live with.

I think thats probably the biggest unknown / reservation I currently have.

Edited by LivinLOS

4. Water (See above)

kbb add

6. gasoline/diesel

8. maintanence on home

10. clothes, if same

agree with all the above. try living on an island (a real island, not one with a bridge) if you want to know what expensive it.

with the exception of accommodation, Phuket isn't that much more expensive than other parts of the country, maybe 10baht more for a somtam but most people can live with that. the big advantage is easy availability of farang goodies. for example, a good pizza in Khon Khen is about 250baht, in Phuket you can find tons of great pizza for the same or less because of competition.

agree with all the above. try living on an island (a real island, not one with a bridge) if you want to know what expensive it.

with the exception of accommodation, Phuket isn't that much more expensive than other parts of the country, maybe 10baht more for a somtam but most people can live with that. the big advantage is easy availability of farang goodies. for example, a good pizza in Khon Khen is about 250baht, in Phuket you can find tons of great pizza for the same or less because of competition.

I totally get your point about being in the boonies.. And I for one would never consider that as a lifestyle that would keep me happy.. Even Krabi / Ao Nang just doesnt have the infrastructure I want / need for a lifestyle. I need my lavazza coffee beans, farang biased bakeries and cold cuts, good internet (I hear bad things about CM's but thats everywhere), etc etc etc.. Theres basically no way I would consider great swathes of the country, which quite probably would be great places for other people, simply based on those factors.