Phuket Expats Going Home

keestha

Yesterday an acquaintance who lives in Chalong told me that a lot of the foreigners living in his area have left because of visa problems / job loss / failing businesses.

Do you Phuket expats have the same experience?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People come to live on Phuket Island and then leave after a year or so, all the time. But these past 6 months I have detected more leaving than arriving. Many of the more mature people have found that their nest-egg or investments have been reduced due to the global downturn, and have been forced to return to their home country and work a few extra years to make up the shortfall. Others with a business here on the Island have been forced to close up, some are maintaining their business by working back in their home country during these hard times. I know a few guys have downsized their life style by moving to cheaper accomodation. Tough times right now all over the world.

You cannot go back home if you are already there. If you come here and do not make an effort to make it your home, you will never be happy.

But we are all human. I know of many expats who left Phuket, but for other parts of Thailand, due to the local surly attitudes and ripoffs.

Times are tough and they may get tougher. I am bracing for one bumpy ride!

Being in the begining of my twenty third year on this Island which I call now "home', even if life here start to be a little bit more difficult than what it used to be, absolutely nothing will make me going back to my birth country now as I know it will even be tougher to survive there.

I think it's true. In the gazette classifieds, under 'Household Items' and under 'Wheels & Motors', i see more and more ads with headlines like "Leaving Thailand - must sell!", Motorbike - returning home, forced sale", "Moving Sale - everything cheap!"..... These kinds of ads seem to far outnumber those under 'Accommodation Wanted', 'Property Wanted', etc, etc. Sad to see - a pity.

But we are all human. I know of many expats who left Phuket, but for other parts of Thailand, due to the local surly attitudes and ripoffs.

True, true .... that's a sad fact.

Yup, I did, but it was also because I was just so tired of having tourists around all the time. It's very nice to now live in a regular Thai place, with some nice expats around, and very few tourists. But, Phuket is still paradise, no denying that.

I think it's true. In the gazette classifieds, under 'Household Items' and under 'Wheels & Motors', i see more and more ads with headlines like "Leaving Thailand - must sell!", Motorbike - returning home, forced sale", "Moving Sale - everything cheap!"..... These kinds of ads seem to far outnumber those under 'Accommodation Wanted', 'Property Wanted', etc, etc. Sad to see - a pity.

I think that's a sales strategy sort of like the stores in the west that have going out of business sales up all year round.

No argument some are genuine, but it's also intended to take advantage of the "desperate times". For some of us that work, there really is no significant difference except for lost income on investments, some additional stress and FX issues. That's a blip on the discretionary funding aspect only. Yes I know some of the 'pensioners" are having a tough time and I'm not saying they don't matter, but I have found that alot of those pensioners are well prepared for this and have buckled down. The smart business folks started preparing last year and cut costs as best they could.

In any case, I bet most farangs are a lot better off than a friend who just got laid off this week. He's in finance and admin, low salary and supports his mom that's ill. His life is crap right now and he has to go look for work.

Yup, I did, but it was also because I was just so tired of having tourists around all the time. It's very nice to now live in a regular Thai place, with some nice expats around, and very few tourists. But, Phuket is still paradise, no denying that.

Everything in your life has a season and you have choice. Accept change and move on to other things, or, you can accept stagnation, never to realise your own potential. ‘Up to you farang’ and remember, the Somchai’s don’t give a hoot as you are after all, playing in their stadium. So, some of the inmates go home and the “two-er-liss no hab kom”……like I said, everything has a season and the remaining incumbent inmates will just have to find something else to whine on about, as the world continues to revolve about them.

Everything in your life has a season and you have choice. Accept change and move on to other things, or, you can accept stagnation, never to realise your own potential. 'Up to you farang' and remember, the Somchai's don't give a hoot as you are after all, playing in their stadium. So, some of the inmates go home and the "two-er-liss no hab kom"……like I said, everything has a season and the remaining incumbent inmates will just have to find something else to whine on about, as the world continues to revolve about them.

Cool... Not quite sure what you're talking about, or the relevance to the OP's initial post. However, enjoy your evening.

Yeah, difficult to read that one.

I went back to the UK after many many years away. (Son has health issues that I wanted taken care of over there) I lasted 6 months. I went back with a job already and got laid off after 3 weeks. Homeless, etc etc... Managed to do odd work here and there and sent funds home for wife and son.

I will never go back. I am happy in Thailand, irrespective of the racism, xenophobia, double pricing etc etc.. I will leave Phuket when funds come about, but not Thailand.

So, I believe that many farangs are not leaving Thailand, but are going away to find the real Thais with that real smile, of which we were all attracted to many moons ago.

We will never assimilate, but we can be tolerated with more respect than in tourist traps like Phuket or Samui.

Yes and good riddance!

Well one couple comes to mind..always broke, always borrowing and always complaining about visa runs, no job, no money etc.

I came to BKK and started as English teacher....and saved my money and became a dive instructor when I stopped doing that I paid my dues, I hustled for work, I worked hard, I took any opportunity learned to sort of freelance write and when things got tough again I reluctantly and humbly went to teach English again. :) And all those little side jobs finally led to the great job, with a 1 year visa that I have now.

It was about putting myself out there but also having some basic skills.

I came here with that little teaching certificate knowing I could always work. Plan C.

So when people are just here waiting for some great job to be handed to them I am glad glad glad to see them leave. bye bye!

It is not always easy to stay here and I think the some of the new visa rules did weed out the deadbeats however I don't agree with all the rules of course.

I also don't feel any sympathy for people who have com here and cut trees and destroyed the land to develop some ugly concrete development and have now had to leave. bye bye to developers too. The only thing uglier then some of these properties is when they are half finished.

Good riddance!

Being in the begining of my twenty third year on this Island which I call now "home', even if life here start to be a little bit more difficult than what it used to be, absolutely nothing will make me going back to my birth country now as I know it will even be tougher to survive there.

Couldn't imagine going back to Aus and starting over getting a job, house, car etc i've decided to downsize cheaper rental home and the rental cars going!!! Not going out to clubs or expensive restaurants anymore and looking for GF to nestle up to at home instead of going out!!!

The cheap charlie tourisst are in abundance the hotel deals are pretty attractive the Millennium Patong is offering 50% of food and drinks + discounts on spa packages and very cheap rooms.

yepp.

Started to look around 3 years ago, and got a second home in Hua Hin a year ago. Its another world.

still love Phuket, but need to get away from the gold diggers sometimes

A few weeks ago I went for a ride around the beach road up around Surin beach and through the town towards Laguna. I was shocked at the amount of vacant and sign posted 'for rent' business units. It really has changed.

I've also noticed around Phuket the huge numbers of advertsing boards which are now for rent too, which must be a tell tale sign big and small!

Its true all over Thailand, not just Phuket. It started a couple years ago with people leaving, that was nothing new but then people stopped coming to replace those who left. Many of the more hardcore expats sold out and moved to Cambodia to set up shop, many of the others just left and went home.

You can ask around all over Thailand and find more empty hotels and houses than ever. I got a call from Ko Chang this week and its completely dead there, the worst off season in 8 years since they started the construction boom there. If the Swine Flu kills the up coming tourist season the people that are barely hanging on now will be out too.

But an expat community is by its nature transient.. Think how many expats you know, and then how many have been here a decade ?? Many come, a few stay a while, only a very small % really pt down roots.

So then if times are tight (and prices rise) while new ones dont come and set up shop (and the ending of the global credit boom will have a huge effect on this as I said years back before it all bust) the cycle doesnt keep rolling.

Less people no bad thing for those who dont earn here.

I have been spending six month of the year here in Rawai, the rest in Australia for the last 20 years. Lately I have been having second thoughts about coming back to LOS. I love Phuket, but the increasing harassment by the police and other scammers like King Power in Swampy and the general increase in political uncertaindy and ever changing visa rules make me feel less and less welcome in Thailand. Last week I was stopped at a roadbock in Chalong, had my papers checked and then was told that I had to pay 500bath fine by the officer without giving any reason as to what for. Just then an other police man on a bike arrived and this guy lives about four doors from my place and as far as I understood he told the other officer that I was a "good Thai farang" what ever that means, so without further explination I was waved on my way. Things like that seem to add up and when I don't feel welcome any more I might just stay away and spend my money travelling elsewhere for my winters.

• 1 month later...

When times are good people put up with a lot of dung. But change the money/political climate and they will leave because of too much hassle. And you don't have to look far in Thailand to find some.

A pal of mine living in Phuket for 11 years, with not a minute of bother, had hassle and problems renewing his yearly visa this week.

Why do they do this?? Have they any grey matter at all in their heads?? Times are tough...tourists are down...the country is in dire straits so what do we do? Yes...make more regulations, have more investigations and make it harder for the ex pats living here.

Good call lads....good call. For a circus that is.,

I have been spending six month of the year here in Rawai, the rest in Australia for the last 20 years. Lately I have been having second thoughts about coming back to LOS. I love Phuket, but the increasing harassment by the police and other scammers like King Power in Swampy and the general increase in political uncertaindy and ever changing visa rules make me feel less and less welcome in Thailand. Last week I was stopped at a roadbock in Chalong, had my papers checked and then was told that I had to pay 500bath fine by the officer without giving any reason as to what for. Just then an other police man on a bike arrived and this guy lives about four doors from my place and as far as I understood he told the other officer that I was a "good Thai farang" what ever that means, so without further explination I was waved on my way. Things like that seem to add up and when I don't feel welcome any more I might just stay away and spend my money travelling elsewhere for my winters.

Me too. My 3-4 trips a year are now down to nil. I haven't been back for 18 months and just today I again canceled my latest plans to go there. Instead I decided to tour the States and Europe...on my bike.

Good decision and I have enjoyed every second and had nothing but good times and friendly (genuine friendly) people and faces everywhere. I don't need any hassle when I can choose another destination to blow my few remaining euro. Magic roads, world class scenery, great food/wine, lovely people, the best mountains (Rockies and Alps) in the world....what else do you need. Babe on the back and off we go. Bring it on!

Yesterday an acquaintance who lives in Chalong told me that a lot of the foreigners living in his area have left because of visa problems / job loss / failing businesses.

Do you Phuket expats have the same experience?

Yes i am one of those who lived in Phuket for more than Sixteen years loved it and still do, maried to my thai wife more than twenty years with a sixteen yeat old Daughter, but Phuket just priced itself out of our pocket, well we all moved to Bangsaphan five months ago, Land is about one tenth the price of Phuket, you can rent a shop house from 2000 bt a month. a smale house 2/3000 bt a month and we have good beaches, cost of living proberly 20% of Phuket price, and the People are real kind Thais come + look you can bring up Bangsaphan Guid on Google.

Sorry No Girlie Bars

post-45216-1252723963_thumb.jpg

So which part is

True, true ....

and which is

that's a sad fact.

I live in Kanchanaburi and it is a lot more cheaper than Phuket. We do have a little fresh water beach btw, but then we also have the two rivers, nature etc.

As for the ripoffs :) I will leave the Island of Phuket to sort that part out, if not then just move to other part of Thailand. :D

Yours truly,

Kan Win :D

OK i live in Phuket and don't have a problem with the cost of living and here is why;

1. Electricity is the same price as any where in Thailand

2. Telephone / Internet (see above)

3. Monthly / weekly shop at Lotus, Big C (See above)

4. Water (See above)

5. TV sat / cable (See above)

If you go out every night and eat at restaurants every day yes i can see how it is expensive, don't buy imported foods, do stay in more, it is that simple.

I feel sorry for the guys that have invested money in businesses here only to have them fail because of the present economical situation, lets hope we have a good high season, from the looks of things there will be less competition.