Thaksin Openly Claims His Leadership Of The Pheu Thai Party

webfact

Thaksin openly claims his leadership of the Pheu Thai Party

Pheu Thai MP Surapong Towijakchaikul on Thursday quoted ex-premier Thaksin Shinawatra as saying he remains the actual party leader and dismissing a call to name a new puppet leader.

"Thaksin says he is the party leader and that he will return to contest the next general election by running for a House seat in Chiang Mai," Surapong said.

He was speaking after his trip to Dubai to wishing Thaksin a happy birthday. Thaksin will be 60 on July 26, seen as an auspicious occasion to reach the fifth-cycle of the 12-part Chinese zodiac.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009/07/16

MP: Thaksin will return

Writer: BangkokPost.com

Published: 16/07/2009 at 01:17 PM Former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra would return to Thailand to fight all legal cases, run for election in Chiang Mai province and take the leadership post of the Puea Thai Party, a Chiang Mai MP claimed on Thursday.

Surapong Towichakchaikul said Thaksin told him this during his recent visit to see the fugive former prime minister in Dubai, the United Arab Emirates.

The MP said Thaksin had formerly said he would wash his hands of politics but had changed his mind because the people wanted him to return to solve the country's problems.

He said Thaksin would certainly return, but not this year.

If Thaksin came back before an election was called, Mr Surapong said he would resign to make way for him to run in a by-election in Chiang Mai.

Mr Surapong said the parliamentary committee on national reconciliation, political reform and constitutional amendment was only a government tactic to buy time.

He did not believe recommendations made by the committee would bring about conciliation in society.

MP: Thaksin will return

Writer: BangkokPost.com

Published: 16/07/2009 at 01:17 PM Former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra would return to Thailand to fight all legal cases, run for election in Chiang Mai province and take the leadership post of the Puea Thai Party, a Chiang Mai MP claimed on Thursday.

Surapong Towichakchaikul said Thaksin told him this during his recent visit to see the fugive former prime minister in Dubai, the United Arab Emirates.

The MP said Thaksin had formerly said he would wash his hands of politics but had changed his mind because the people wanted him to return to solve the country's problems.

He said Thaksin would certainly return, but not this year.

If Thaksin came back before an election was called, Mr Surapong said he would resign to make way for him to run in a by-election in Chiang Mai.

Mr Surapong said the parliamentary committee on national reconciliation, political reform and constitutional amendment was only a government tactic to buy time.

He did not believe recommendations made by the committee would bring about conciliation in society.

"The parliamentary committee on National Reconciliation, political reform and constitutional amendment was only a Government tactic to buy time"...........I think that purpose is far too benign. I can just imagine the strategising that is occurring with respect to ridding Thailand of that uncontrollable one-person-one-vote electoral process. And what gives this Administration the representational and electoral legitimacy to tamper with the constitution, when they will be history after the next election...if there is one.

Dubai 60th birthday party for Thaksin

The chairman of Puea Thai MPs, Chalerm Yubamrung, said on Thursday afternoon that he will travel to Dubai, the United Arab Emirates, to attend the birthday party of former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra. Thaksin turns 60 on July 26.

Mr Chalerm said he had no knowledge of Thaksin’s reported intention to return to Thailand to fight legal cases, to run for election in Chiang Mai and to take the leadership post of the main opposition party -- as claimed by Puea Thai MP for Chiang Mai Surapong Towichakchaikul.

Mr Chalerm also disagreed with the group of 40 senators' opposition to the charter amendments proposed by the committee on reconciliation, political reform and constitutional amendment.

Bangkok senator Rossana Tositrakul this morning submitted a letter to Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva demanding the premier to refrain from changing the charter, as proposed by the committee.

Ms Rossana said the proposed amendments to the 2007 constitution, particularly giving amnesty to politicians banned from politics, was for the sole benefit of punished political parties and punished politicians. Itwould only cause further divisions

Mr Chalerm said he did not see how the change in the 2007 Constitution would lead to more social divisions.

(BangkokPost.com 16/07/2009 at 03:19 PM - full article link)

Is it actually possible that a significant number of Thai people are willing to accept as their leader a lying, deceitful, disgraced ex-police Lt., Colonel, convicted of various crimes, presently hiding out as a fugitive in the middle east and banned from Thai politics for 5 years ?

Surely there must be someone with some positive qualities to lead an opposition ? Surely............? :)

Thaksin (more aptly named TOXIN)

Has to keep his home fires burning, Without obsurd statements like this from him he would die.

He wants his supporters to believe he will be back in control,In reality he is fighting for survival. The truth is if our government does not come up with something good soon he may well survive.

Then farang would have something moan about.

Is it actually possible that a significant number of Thai people are willing to accept as their leader a lying, deceitful, disgraced ex-police Lt., Colonel, convicted of various crimes, presently hiding out as a fugitive in the middle east and banned from Thai politics for 5 years ?

Surely there must be someone with some positive qualities to lead an opposition ? Surely............? :)

Aren't you embarrassed parotting the English language media like that. I notice you even use their precribed word "fugitive". This is an inclusion requirement for all media reports on Thaksin. But with no English language alternatives to media that is not independent, I can understand.

Aren't you embarrassed parotting the English language media like that. I notice you even use their precribed word "fugitive". This is an inclusion requirement for all media reports on Thaksin. But with no English language alternatives to media that is not independent, I can understand.

What are you talking about? Please explain.

I am not trying to take this off-topic but, I thought the current gov't said that Thaksin wasn't welcome in Dubai?

Yes i believe they did at sometime say that. Not sure if that the case now may be someone will enlighten us on that.

Thaksin can do or say whatever he wants. Fact is he'll never be coming back to Thailand. Shout at the moon all you want bozo.

Thaksin can do or say whatever he wants. Fact is he'll never be coming back to Thailand. Shout at the moon all you want bozo.

This is Thailand! Do not be suprised by anything that happens here. You may well eat your words i sincerely hope you do not.

Edited by cyborg22

This is Thailand! Do not be suprised by anything that happens here. You may well eat your words i sincerely hope you do not.

There's been no "Pastrygate" this time around, which means either the Champion of Democracy has learnt his lesson and hasn't bothered to bribe anybody, or... :)

There's been no "Pastrygate" this time around, which means either the Champion of Democracy has learnt his lesson and hasn't bothered to bribe anybody, or... :)

Or he has something up his sleeve. Or someone in his pocket. The latter most likely. Actually the two go hand in hand as far as thaksin is concerned..

Oh, at least someone's certain.

The part that is interesting to me is Thaksin is only said to have said these things.  

I am not even sure that the person they claim Thaksin said it,  is even saying it.

As you can see its all about pushing your buttons and you eat it like its Dinner time. 

Wag the dog.

Aren't you embarrassed saying almost the exact same canned line in about 5 different threads

since you joined last montyh and started posting much week.

"parotting the English language media " over and over again.

seems SOooooooo cut an paste.

And always in defense of Thaksin,

never any OTHER subjects on Thaivisa.

Say it often enough it might seem fact, righty O?

Edited by animatic

He actually said live on TV that he would be back to lead the revolution around Songkhran. I didnt notice that happening.

Its all part of the PR game which has to be cranked up with the asset seizure case ongoing. It also serves to put a few worries into heads of those at the top about what happens if he does come back. Same old same old.

Thaksin openly claims his leadership of the Pheu Thai Party

Pheu Thai MP Surapong Towijakchaikul on Thursday quoted ex-premier Thaksin Shinawatra as saying

he remains the actual party leader and dismissing a call to name a new puppet leader.

"Thaksin says he is the party leader and that he will return to contest the next general election by running for a House seat in Chiang Mai," Surapong said.

He was speaking after his trip to Dubai to wishing Thaksin a happy birthday. Thaksin will be 60 on July 26, seen as an auspicious occasion to reach the fifth-cycle of the 12-part Chinese zodiac.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009/07/16

Looks like the guy is quoted specifically,

though the quote ofd Thaksin is not specific word for word.

So a PTP member AGAIN says Thaksin is the actual leader...

How much longer can the party maintain legitimacy when it's "LEADER"

is legally BANNED from being the leader?

And they tack on some astrological auspiciousness to boot.

Well I am hoping to make the 5th cycle too,

but not in Dubai by any means.

Can one contest an election from a jail cell?

Or will his followers prevent him being taken into custody.

Edited by animatic

Aren't you embarrassed saying almost the exact same canned line in about 5 different threads

since you joined last montyh and started posting much week.

"parotting the English language media " over and over again.

seems SOooooooo cut an paste.

And always in defense of Thaksin,

never any OTHER subjects on Thaivisa.

Say it often enough it might seem fact, righty O?

I admit I have an interest in Politics, and will comment on other posts/Thaivisa when I have something substantive to say or ask. But politics is my primary interest, no doubt.

I also admit that I have a conviction that the Thai English media is agenda driven.

Given the parrallel between many Farang comments to the English media agenda, tends to elicit a response to that fact from me, that seems repetitive. That is true. I apologise for that, but I don't apologise for trying to present a balanced perspective. I also have diverse and alternative in-depth sources not available to most Farangs. I cannot reveal those sources, so hope to be judged on the quality of my comments. I wish to avoid a situation whereby the messenger becomes the focus instead of the message.

but I don't apologise for trying to present a balanced perspective.

If only that was true...being a screaming red fanatic isn't presenting anything balanced, we already have many red fans here.

I also have diverse and alternative in-depth sources not available to most Farangs. I cannot reveal those sources, so hope to be judged on the quality of my comments.

Atleast you making it easy for me...

I admit I have an interest in Politics, and will comment on other posts/Thaivisa when I have something substantive to say or ask. But politics is my primary interest, no doubt.

I also admit that I have a conviction that the Thai English media is agenda driven.

Given the parrallel between many Farang comments to the English media agenda, tends to elicit a response to that fact from me, that seems repetitive. That is true. I apologise for that, but I don't apologise for trying to present a balanced perspective. I also have diverse and alternative in-depth sources not available to most Farangs. I cannot reveal those sources, so hope to be judged on the quality of my comments. I wish to avoid a situation whereby the messenger becomes the focus instead of the message.

So what are you saying? At this moment in time all you have said is you supposedly know more than most farangs on here (sources not revealed).

Give us something to work on, Instead of instilling your delusions of granduer upon us.

So what are you saying? At this moment in time all you have said is you supposedly know more than most farangs on here (sources not revealed).

Give us something to work on, Instead of instilling your delusions of granduer upon us.

If you are in Thailand most of the news regarding Thai politics is unavailable for obvious reasons. When you travel outside of Thailand do some research.

It certainly was when Thaksin was in power. Why weren't you here saving all us easily-brainwashed farangs then? That's when we needed you most! :)

If you are in Thailand most of the news regarding Thai politics is unavailable for obvious reasons. When you travel outside of Thailand do some research.

That is just pure silly.

You think we are sitting in some information-black hole here?

I read the same international sources as anyone else, either via subscription or online.

I also have diverse and alternative in-depth sources not available to most Farangs. I cannot reveal those sources......

Let me guess, are they the same sorts of sources who gaze in to crystal balls (or tarot cards, or tea leaves) to predict the future (?)- yet such sorcerers' predictions are just vague enough to give themselves wiggle room if they're wrong. ...though they could never admit to being wrong about anything. Yet if they make a lucky guess, then they're ecstatic and make sure all the media outlets hear about it. Those are the sorts of 'sources' who Samak, Thaksin and a slew of other politicians run to - for guidance, often using Thai taxpayer money to fly up to Chiang Mai to sit at the feet of one particularly endearing soothsayer.

Or maybe it's the type of source who coyly won't name a wrongdoer, but instead merely mentions the first Thai letter of that person's name. Such silliness is just the tip of the iceburg of the types of things that influence Thai politics.

As well as all his other ugly character traits, T is one presumptuous Mo'Fo'.

He's been away for years, stirring up trouble wherever possible, and yet he states he will return as head honcho of a party he wasn't even around to start. ....a party that didn't exist when he lied to the judiciary in order to split from Thailand.

It's like Nixon (who was run out of the White House in disgrace to himself and to the Republican Party), were to have announced years later, "I'm coming back. I don't have to say I'll be in charge of everyone, because everyone knows I'm the only person worthy of being leader."

Would everyone in the Republican party have gotten down on one knee kow tow to the returning despot? No. But of course this is Thailand, and T still has the deepest pockets of any Thai, so it goes without saying that he can simply grab the reins of whatever the TRT party is currently called, and everyone still in his pocket will accept it without so much as a snide remark quietly spoken to the urinal in the mens room.

That is just pure silly.

You think we are sitting in some information-black hole here?

I read the same international sources as anyone else, either via subscription or online.

Obvious reasons?Do you mean most media don't give a f*** about Thai politics?You're right.

TV is a forum that is interested in what's happening in Thailand.An English only forum.

Try,if you can,the news about Thailand from other Countries.