Super 8 Mm Film

katabeachbum

• 6 months later...

If Super 8mm is the small cassettes that are/were used in the 'old' style camcorders then I have looked into this.

1. In the electrical store (above tops i think) at central they have a counter for processing films/discs etc. On the board above the counter they have an image that shows 'from cassette to dvd'. I inquired abiout this and they said that the leads from the camcorder to a dvd player are required. These I do not have at the moment so I have not taken them up on this offer. The price is 1 hour cassette to dvd 300 baht.

2. Perhaps on the same floor at central but at the opposite end is a photo developing shop. It does lots of other things as well. I believe they have a Kodak sigh on the outside. They said they could do it for 500baht per 1 hour cassette.

I have not tried any of these yet and am still seeking a solution to get my 9 or so cassettes on to disc.

If you find somewhere or use any of the above kindly post your findings for your uncle Hugh and perhaps others.

All the best.

Hugh Jampton

If Super 8mm is the small cassettes that are/were used in the 'old' style camcorders then I have looked into this.

1. In the electrical store (above tops i think) at central they have a counter for processing films/discs etc. On the board above the counter they have an image that shows 'from cassette to dvd'. I inquired abiout this and they said that the leads from the camcorder to a dvd player are required. These I do not have at the moment so I have not taken them up on this offer. The price is 1 hour cassette to dvd 300 baht.

2. Perhaps on the same floor at central but at the opposite end is a photo developing shop. It does lots of other things as well. I believe they have a Kodak sigh on the outside. They said they could do it for 500baht per 1 hour cassette.

I have not tried any of these yet and am still seeking a solution to get my 9 or so cassettes on to disc.

If you find somewhere or use any of the above kindly post your findings for your uncle Hugh and perhaps others.

All the best.

Hugh Jampton

Thanks

but I m afraid Super 8 is even older, its traditional film on rolls, no casette.

Yeah high 8 is the video version. There are some programs and hardware available for the videos to be converted. I might suggest you look into sending them out of country as I know my mother had all of our super 8 films converted years ago to a VCR tape but not digital so it may be necessary to do that first and then convert again to digital from the video..Conversely if you have a projector to play them with you might do like the pirates do and just record them with a digital camera and then download them..It might be better just to do that even if it requires you purchasing an old super 8 projector depending on how many you have to convert..Just a thought

Sorry I do not know anywhere in phuket or thailand but I do know about the process. I have the same dilemma myself with 50+ film reels (some of which are of bangkok in 1960's) that I want to archive digitally, so I've done some research.

The standard and most common way (cheapest) to transfer super 8mm to digital is to play the film with an 8mm projector and to video tape it with a digital video camera. On the web it's generally about US$30 per foot. This will be the way that any service that offers the transfer will do it no matter what they advertise. Although the alternative is to digitally scan every frame then put it together in a NLE package. That will cost you several thousands of dollars for a short reel so you'll know the difference.

If you want to do it yourself you will need a super 8mm adjustable speed projector from the 60/70s/80s that are hard to come by but can be bought on the web. A safe bet would be from a specialized site (not from ebay) as there are lots of things that go wrong with them if not looked after, especially lens deterioration. They are priced from US$500 ++. You will also need a digital video camera. The process itself is rather simple. You will never get as good as the original film, the digitization is good for archiving, easier editing and easier viewing.

Edited by Sel