Pattaya Whats The Attraction ?

thaimate

I lived 20k from Pattaya for the last 5 years, I made my way over there maybe 7 or 8 times a year.

The attraction for some is obvious, but if your happily married and not into the bar scene, Pattaya hasn't much appeal.

I was always happy to get back on Sukhamvit and head for home.

ime happily married and not into the bar scene,but to say Pattaya hasnt much appeal is a stupid thing to say ,we have great shopping malls,cinemas,bowling ally,shows ,supermarkets and so much more. i personally go to a bar once a week during the day (no girls) to meet friends and chat. at night if we go out there are masses of great restaurants ,if you dont like or want the "night life" then dont hang around walking street ,simple as that.

by the way we live outside Pattaya as well.

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

ime happily married and not into the bar scene,but to say Pattaya hasnt much appeal is a stupid thing to say ,we have great shopping malls,cinemas,bowling ally,shows ,supermarkets and so much more.

Thank you for having good sense.

I visit Pattaya often, but, usually, if I go for a week, I only go out to the bars once or twice. The rest of the time, I am enjoying all of the other things to do!

Well the problem with most people - they think Pattaya is Walking Street/Beach/2nd Road - hel_l of lot more than that. Anyone who thinks differently obviously has no fking clue. Pattaya is a beach resort where most thai(s) from surrounding areas flock whether it be wkd or on holidays. This is a place where western families have settled and grow up. Patters has so much to offer from retail, restaurants, entertainment, sporting activities, top notch nightlife, cultural sites close by. There is literally smth for everyone which sets it apart from most cities in Thailand.

Never a dull moment in Patters, and last time I checked it is Thailand, just people love to think its not. :)

I see the term... "Dirty old man" used time and again. I'm wondering if those that use the term are referring to the number of times a man bathes in a day? Or, are they referring to sex? If it is sex then I wonder at what point a man changes from being a "Stud" to being a dirty old man? Is a single man supposed to give up sex at some arbitrary age set by the puritanical bigots? And, if so, at what age does that happen to be: 40, 50, 60 or over 70?

Or, does it mean that there should be some arbitrary age difference between the man and the woman? If that is the case then I wonder what man would choose someone old, fat and ugly rather than someone young and beautiful who actually ENJOYS sex. Having seen some wives, and husbands for that matter, I can understand why some people give up sex entirely after they've been married for 20 years or more.

Maybe this is the group that is setting the standards. It would certainly seem so.

Prohibition.sized.jpg

I see the term... "Dirty old man" used time and again. I'm wondering if those that use the term are referring to the number of times a man bathes in a day? Or, are they referring to sex? If it is sex then I wonder at what point a man changes from being a "Stud" to being a dirty old man? Is a single man supposed to give up sex at some arbitrary age set by the puritanical bigots? And, if so, at what age does that happen to be: 40, 50, 60 or over 70?

Or, does it mean that there should be some arbitrary age difference between the man and the woman? If that is the case then I wonder what man would choose someone old, fat and ugly rather than someone young and beautiful who actually ENJOYS sex. Having seen some wives, and husbands for that matter, I can understand why some people give up sex entirely after they've been married for 20 years or more.

Maybe this is the group that is setting the standards. It would certainly seem so.

Prohibition.sized.jpg

These "puritanical bigots" are a bunch of young guys who believe their parents don't have sex and that once you reach about 40 you have to give it up.

These "puritanical bigots" (aka busybee123) will become those frustrated old men you talk about unless they see commonsense and get with the program.

Wow... will this thread get past 4 pages?

We watch and wait.

Well, not really watching and waiting but it's raining cats and dogs here offshore Vietnam so here's a reminder that the OP is asking.

"Pattaya - what's the attraction?" which is not about people's age, gender, physique, profession and sexual peccadilloes.

In my case, Pattaya is where the bulk of my friends still are. The same people I sprinted through my (I really was a) hansum man phase with. That was during our beer and skittles and Marine Disco till dawn days. I didn't need rose-tinted glasses back then... just very, very dark ones and a Bloody Mary.

I don't do that stuff anymore but as pointed out by others, as a 'home' base with all the conveniences of great market and mall shopping that the average 'resident tourist' could need, STILL decently priced accomodations, a wide range of medical care facilities for all budgets and easy access to international airports, the Big Mango and the remoter, quieter parts, this place called Pattaya just aint half bad. Certainly doesn't come anywhere close to being what some call the 'absolute gutter of the universe' but I can't really argue that as I haven't been more than twice in my life to that Mecca of honesty, civility, good taste and decorum... umm.... eh... Fhuket or something like that? Big island, down south somewhere. Help me out here willya?

Pattaya... it's not just for short-times anymore.

"Why, Sir, you find no man, at all intellectual, who is willing to leave Pattaya. No, Sir, when a man is tired of Pattaya, he is tired of life; for there is in Pattaya all that life can afford."

Samuel Johnson 2007

Edited by syd barrett

for all the topic on pattaya dirty beaches poor planing lack off water in places better places can be found elsewhere just as cheap what keeps people there is just sex plain and simple, before any off you go on about another pattaya knocker, think about ,it to those that think different take off the rose titned specs, as for one post about a six year old shows how stupid you are as she does not understand what all the thai girls ars doing in the bars ,when she grows she will see a different pattaya where girls sell there bodies to dirty old men

And in your country there are no prostitutes, red light areas, sexual deviants etc etc????

Glass houses and all that............................

for all the topic on pattaya dirty beaches poor planing lack off water in places better places can be found elsewhere just as cheap what keeps people there is just sex plain and simple, before any off you go on about another pattaya knocker, think about ,it to those that think different take off the rose titned specs, as for one post about a six year old shows how stupid you are as she does not understand what all the thai girls ars doing in the bars ,when she grows she will see a different pattaya where girls sell there bodies to dirty old men

And in your country there are no prostitutes, red light areas, sexual deviants etc etc????

Glass houses and all that............................

Back in his country it's ok because the price is much higher.

Patters is the jewel of Thailand. Unfortunately as Simon said it isnt for him.. doesnt make it a bad place because some people just can't handle it. :)

Maybe more appropriate to compare Pattaya to Howrah. :D

i always say to people..no one forces you to go there ..if you dont like it well dont go...pattaya has the same stuff as any other city in the world has only a bit more of it in places :) if you get my meaning.....its a city i would feel safe walking around more than most other places,but you still have to be wary and street wise too..same as being anywhere.....pattaya has alot more to offer than just women..there is some real nice places to go and see if you get out of the centre areas...

Prohibition.sized.jpg

Excellent post!

Personally, I think people that talk about "dirty old men" are the same ones that call women "sluts" because they enjoy sex and don't believe they should be tied to one particular male, ie. behave like most young men.

There's a word for that- hypocracy!

Prohibition.sized.jpg

The New Rule had put a bit of a dampener on proceedings at the Pattaya Farang Pre-Op Society's annual fancy dress party.....

Can we make a rule to ban that picture forever? It is freakin' me out. We can only hope they don't come over here. Something about one of them reminds me of a scene from the Wizard of Oz......something about a dog in a basket.

I assume from your post Brasso that the only parts of Pattaya,(like many tourists who come here) that you have ever visited are beach road and walking street ,

no have been many places in pattaya, like you yes a tourist once but did not like pattaya

What i do not understand is ,if you have been all over Pattaya and dont like it,why do you 1/ read and 2/ post on a Pattaya website ? i would have thaught something a little more genteel would have been your cup of tea.

sorry did not know you had to like or live in pattaya or anywhere else in thailand to post, some times interesting things are posted and there was me thinking it was open to all or maybe some off the things said hit a little to close to home for you to handle

Can we make a rule to ban that picture forever? It is freakin' me out. We can only hope they don't come over here. Something about one of them reminds me of a scene from the Wizard of Oz......something about a dog in a basket.

"dog in a basket" sounds like a Lao takeaway :)

"dog in a basket" sounds like a Lao takeaway :D

:D:)

sorry did not know you had to like or live in pattaya or anywhere else in thailand to post, some times interesting things are posted and there was me thinking it was open to all or maybe some off the things said hit a little to close to home for you to handle

Come on, you know what he meant. He said he did not understand why someone so anti-Pattaya is so interested in reading and posting on a Pattaya forum. He said nothing about you not being allowed to post.

We know why you and other puritanical bigots post here. It's the same reason frustrated missionaries from various religious organisations travel throughout the world spreading their "good news" and imposing their judgemental beliefs on otherwise contented people.

I haven't been home for 6 years, but thanks to posters such as you for reminding me about what I can expect if I do decide to return home.

We know why you and other puritanical bigots post here. It's the same reason frustrated missionaries from various religious organisations travel throughout the world spreading their "good news" and imposing their judgemental beliefs on otherwise contented people.

I haven't been home for 6 years, but thanks to posters such as you for reminding me about what I can expect if I do decide to return home.

:) RIGHT ON TROPO! :D

Edited by Ulysses G.

Come on, you know what he meant. He said he did not understand why someone so anti-Pattaya is so interested in reading and posting on a Pattaya forum. He said nothing about you not being allowed to post.

Very Good post and an appropriate application of the phrase "puritanical bigot".

Can't say anymore - I was drawn into flaming earlier in the topic (sorry about that).

However, I would say that if someone is replying to a topic titled ""Pattaya, what's the attraction", then yes, your contribution will have more credibility if you have been to Pattaya AND like it.

Pattaya has a lot going against it as a family type resort. What it is is a great place for lonely people with a bit of cash. It's a great place to meet up with friends. It has nearly everything you want (whatever your needs) close by.

It's not a place I'd want to live permanently, but I really enjoy my visits. I can go out to the bars occasionally have a really good time without taking a lady home with me (I have one waiting, so I don't need any extra).

I know many people who live in Pattaya and they have a good life, most of them are settled and bypass the obvious nightlife, so there's definitely something that keeps people there.

First, may I suggest we actually respect each others opinions........and accept that some people like the place and some do not like the place......views and opinions differ.......one is not necessarily right.

Pros:

Carnival-like energy (hard to get bored)

Situated on the beach

Decent choices of Western food

Good choice of movie theaters

Some decent malls w/ ac

Foodland (etc)

Ladies for rent

Cons:

Poor infrastructure

Too much traffic

Too many people

Too many concrete coffins

Too many bad farangs

Too many bad Thais (most unfriendly in all of Thailand)

Too much crime

Too filthy/dirty (the air, water, etc)

Too expensive (prices have risen off the scale of what is reasonable for the location and services)

Pros:

Ladies for rent

Cons:

Not Enough Ladies for rent

"dog in a basket" sounds like a Lao takeaway :D

:):D:D

Just like "pooch in the soup"

Janets_puppy_1.sized.jpg

^ Why don't you PM a mod instead of cluttering up this thread? Those are the rules anyway; no discussion of moderation issues but feel free to PM one of them if you have a question.

Now, taking off my pseudo-mod cap, you mentioned that Pattaya has things that you consider great and other things that you detest. Since the OP is asking "What's the attraction?" tell us what you consider these positives to be.

^ Why don't you PM a mod instead of cluttering up this thread? Those are the rules anyway; no discussion of moderation issues but feel free to PM one of them if you have a question.

^^^^

Correct, if you have a problem or query with a mod, please use the PM system for clarification.

I have removed three posts publically discussing moderation, which you have agreed not to do when signing on to use Thai Visa board.

My thoughts exactly ,it always amazes me that people knock Pattaya but seem delighted to read about all the "naughty" goings on and then tut tut about it .Methinks" they doest protest to much sir" to nearly quote Will Shakespear . just jelous that they cant be here.

Edited by thaimate

My thoughts exactly ,it always amazes me that people knock Pattaya but seem delighted to read about all the "naughty" goings on and then tut tut about it .Methinks" they doest protest to much sir" to nearly quote Will Shakespear . just jelous that they cant be here.

why if some one does not like pattaya do people think you are jelous, i never understand the thinking behind it, good luck to all that live in the dump we all know the real reason that you and others like you live there

name='brasso' date='2009-07-23 11:51:25' post='2890209']

why if some one does not like pattaya do people think you are jelous, i never understand the thinking behind it, good luck to all that live in the dump we all know the real reason that you and others like you live there

Good post,

but some people did come here for work reasons, through no choice of ther own.

but very few.

most come for the sex.

The truth always get lost in the bullshit in the pattaya section.

:)

name='brasso' date='2009-07-23 11:51:25' post='2890209']

Good post,

but some people did come here for work reasons, through no choice of ther own.

but very few.

most come for the sex.

The truth always get lost in the bullshit in the pattaya section.

:)

It is odd isn't it.......it seems like "real estate BS propaganda" to me.

If you don't like it you must be jealous, right? Wrong.

You actually may not like it and have found a better place to live.

I think there are a lot of expats heavily invested in real estate in Pattaya-Jomtien (many post here) who are seeing their $$$ dreams come crashing down to earth........they simply cannot accept reality.

They think they are all going to be Donald Trump.......they believe Pattaya-Jomtien will eventually morph into Monaco.

And you can't convince them that anything is wrong with the city/area.

Dream on........reality is hard to swallow sometimes.