Where To Buy A New Helmet?

Had my helmet stolen today............ Where is there a good selection of FULL Face helmets with tinted visor in/around bangkok??

And what sort of money they going for?

Tinted visor is illegal in Thailand and police will book you for it :) Best cheap helmet is ' Real ' Helmet brand. 1400 baht ++

Try topgun on Rama IV its At the intersection of Rama 4 / Soi Sukhumvit 42

Tel: 02-391-2630

http://www.geocities.com/bkkriders/shops/map/topgun.png

Edited by coolfusion

Had my helmet stolen today............ Where is there a good selection of FULL Face helmets with tinted visor in/around bangkok??

And what sort of money they going for?

Tinted visor is illegal in Thailand and police will book you for it :D

Try topgun on Rama IV its on a junction on the left before you come to sukumvit.

What about wearing sunglasses then?? :) same same but different lol......... havent had any grief in the past, but thanks for the heads up and thanks for the info on Topgun.

What about wearing sunglasses then?? :) same same but different lol......... havent had any grief in the past, but thanks for the heads up and thanks for the info on Topgun.

Man i swear to god i thought they were taking the complete piss when they tried to do me for it , and i reacted accordingly , i told them to piss off and drove away laughing , then the same thing the next day and a few days later in the end i ripped off the visor and threw it on the ground whilst shouting at them and drove off.

Man i was pissed , but having said all that i subsequently found out they were right.

CF

P.S after carrefour

Edited by coolfusion

My Real helmet needed a new visor anyway cos the last one was scratched. The shop I went to had some new ones ones in which apparently had just come out. They were very subtly tinted and apparently the police won't pull you with them on. Not that I believe this per se but I reckon that a policeman would not necessarily notice it as being tinted.

I'm not sure that pulling people for tinted visors is really flavour of the month anymore anyway tbh. If I was you and I really preferred it I'd risk the chance of an occasional pull by the police and just get one.

I concur on the location on Rama IV, and also that the full-face helmets you can get for about 1500 baht are pretty decent. As far as the tinted thing goes I've been wearing a cheap Thai helmet with a flip down dark tinted shield for the last year with no issues, even when traversing road block/checks. I usually wear tinted/sun glasses day and night though so the tinted sheild is getting old on the dark soi's of Bkk. I got another helmet the other day with clear and along with my new tinted/photo lens glasses really works great day and night. For Bkk I don't think there is enough direct sun exposure to worry much about having a dark shield, though a very light tint to block UV is probably a good idea and will look for one of those. I doubt I will ever have any trouble, except that it may stop my photo lenses from darkening.

Man i swear to god i thought they were taking the complete piss when they tried to do me for it , and i reacted accordingly , i told them to piss off and drove away laughing , then the same thing the next day and a few days later in the end i ripped off the visor and threw it on the ground whilst shouting at them and drove off.

Man i was pissed , but having said all that i subsequently found out they were right.

CF

P.S after carrefour

You taking the piss now.

All my visors are tinted and you have seen them yourself.

Cops never squeak about it to me.

Usually they pat my bike say "very good" and wave me on! :D

You taking the piss now.

Usually they pat my bike say "very good" and wave me on! :)

Yes i know all yours are illegal visors and yes you are breaking the law and its people like you setting a bad example for everyone else that adds to the chaos and confusion that requires a forum like this to put people straight.

Sort your self out...

CF

Occasional I stole my brother's bike for a ride around Nichada Thani area. My visor is tinted too.

Once I went through a check post. The police just smile and wave me through after asking me a couple of simple questions. They didn't even ask for my motorcycle license, which I do not have.

You taking the piss now.

Usually they pat my bike say "very good" and wave me on! :D

Yes i know all yours are illegal visors and yes you are breaking the law and its people like you setting a bad example for everyone else that adds to the chaos and confusion that requires a forum like this to put people straight.

Sort your self out...

CF

Coolfusion never creates confusion. :)

I think tinted visors is the least of their worries. They have better things to do, like catching bikes without registration plate and legal documentation.

Get it sorted. :D

I got another helmet the other day with clear and along with my new tinted/photo lens glasses really works great day and night. ...a very light tint to block UV is probably a good idea and will look for one of those. I doubt I will ever have any trouble, except that it may stop my photo lenses from darkening.

My photo lenses won't tint at all using a clear shield. I think the shield must prevent much of the UV from reaching them.

• 1 month later...

Just a quick, but boring, note about tinted visors. I was pulled this morning for having a tinted visor. I didn't know they were illegal and I bought my Index (Thai Brand) helmet on Charan Sanit Wong with it on. Surely this is a bit stupid of the manufacturer....hang-on TIT.

Got away without fine as my girlfriend was late for her training session. We got the policeman to call the school and get directions. After that he seemed proud to be helping, told me again not to put my visor down and then saluted us on our way telling my girlfriend that she is beautiful.

Nice guy in the end....or did we just play the dumb farang couple too well :)

• 5 weeks later...

And you didn't get a beat down for pulling that? Now, I'm not a Thai cop, but if I were and someone did that to me, I'd probably give out a beat down. However, since you managed to pull that off without getting a beat down, more power to you. :)

Edited by submaniac

Lots of Traffic Police motorcyclists here in Khon Kaen are starting to wear motorcycle crash helmets with black tinted visors!!!!!!!!

I have two helmets, during the daytime when it's sunny I use the one with the black tinted visor. During the nightime I use the helmet with the clear visor.

I've never had a problem with the Traffic cops.........

I have been looking for a big full face helmet without tinted visor in the the South. Not been to the tourist areas, but to to Had Yai, NST, and all the big bike shops I can find. Not one big helmet. All they've got are Index size L helmets. Sure, the shops can order one for me, but then I'm obliged to buy it before trying it. And I won't wear a tinted visor in this country as I like to ride at night, and tints stop me from seeing the two-wheeled buffaloes with no lights. Guess I gotta go to Phuket, Samui or Bangkok to be able to try a big helmet before I buy... SO in the meantime I ride lidless - no cops have stopped me yet, but I do get a red face...

• 3 months later...
^^^^ A bit late for you Fishy, but you can order up to XXL direct from Real-helmets.com @ cost + 200bt delivered. :)

Also as a side note for Gunga's post the REAL XXL is slightly smaller than the HJC XL.

The SBK helmets XXL (http://www.mocyc.com/store/view.php?idclassified=245458) is about the same as the HJC XL (there seems to be more cheek padding in the SBK, so will probably settle to being slightly larger)

I had an O Neal helmet at home so asked my Mum to post it out to me as it would be cheaper than buying a similar carbon fiber/kevlar one here but she's just emailed to say that it's listed as prohibited/restricted?! Has anyone else successfully posted a Helmet to Thailand without problems? I'm guessing there would be a happy customs officer when it arrived if that is the case.

Don't know who told her, possibly parcelforce in the UK as that's who she would use, I'll ring her later to find out. Doubt it was anyone in a bar as she stopped drinking after a big night out about 9 months before I was born! But it wouldn't surprise me if it was prohibited, so many daft import rules here.

I think that you will find that quite a few members have brought helmets in by post.

Sounds like someone in PF couldn't be bothered to check properly..

A bit like sales staff here, easier to say 'mai mee' than do their job & check. :)

Good luck with it and keep us "posted" (sic)