2000 Fine For Failing To Report Address After 90 Days

I moved to Thailand a couple of years ago, arriving with an O Visa which I extended for 12 months based on retirement last year and extended it again in April this year.

I have never needed to report my address every 90 days as I had always left the country before the reporting date, with the clock ticking again on my return.

Not travelling as much now so my last entry into Thailand was late January, I extended my leave to remain on 21st April, the process took over five hours, I asked the Immigration Officer who processed my application where I needed to go to do my 90 day report, but he advised me that the extension of my leave to remain counted as a notification and there was no need to notify my address again, I needed to come to report 90 days after that date. I didn't deem it necessary to doubt his word as what he told me seemed eminently sensible.

I went to the Bangkok office today to get a re-entry visa, and having already submitted an application online I was pretty pleased with the turn around of about 10 minutes.

Thinking I was on a roll I only needed to wait a further 10 minutes of so to be called for my reporting, only to be asked by the work experience girl where was the previous report to which I pointed out the extension of leave to remain adding that I was advised by the Immigration Officer that counted as a report. She called a real Immigration Officer and I had to explain it again, she told me that I had been wrongly advised and I had to pay 2000 Baht. When I asked why I was being fined when acting on the advice of an Immigration Officer she sent me to room 206 where I had to explain it to two more people. They told me that the Immigration Officer was wrong and that it only counts on the first extension, my complaints that it seemed unfair that I should be fined after being wrongly advised by one of her experts all she could say was "no exceptions". I asked for the email address of the man in charge so I could register a complaint, "you have to fill out a suggestion form", "where do I get one of those?", "you have to go to room so and so".

Of course when I went downstairs to pay the fine I was told you have to come back in one hour as we are just closing for lunch, talk about needing to have the last say.

You old hands will probably have a good old chuckle over this, but I have to say that I was seriously pi**ed off, it's not about the 2000 Baht, well actually it is, the only good point is that I will not need to do another 90 report for at least a year because of future trips.

PS - does anybody know the contact details of the man in charge?

Applying for an extension only counts as a 90 day report the first time. After that they are two totally different processes.

Yes, I know that now, but that wasn't the advice I was given by the Immigration Officer who processed my extension, and I didn't deem it necessary to question his word.

Applying for an extension only counts as a 90 day report the first time. After that they are two totally different processes.

Yes, I know that now, but that wasn't the advice I was given by the Immigration Officer who processed my extension, and I didn't deem it necessary to question his word.

It is not at all unusual for government entities to not let you off the hook when their staff has doled out tainted advice.

Years ago, I took an income tax deduction on the advice of a USA IRS (revenue dept.) officer. A year later, they disallowed the deduction, added on more tax, and imposed a hefty fine.

I went to the office to protest and pointed out the very officer (across the room) who had given me the bad advice. Their response: "I'm sorry sir, but we cannot be responsible for erroneous advice dispensed by any of our staff. Your penalty is still applicable."

Translation: "We got you by the balls any way you turn!"

Suck it up. :)

You're not the first or the last that have been poorly advised by immigrations.

When in doubt ask :)

That's the truth. In nearly a decade of living in LOS, I have found that this forum has by far the best information on immigration matters.

In contrast, I have been steered the wrong direction countless times by the officials who were purported to be the "last word" on such matters. There is simply a poor standard of training or sense of accountability in the immigration department, and the <deleted> trickles down to the "customers." Not unusual, of course for developing or 3rd-world countries. It's part of the territory, and you just roll with it while checking your info. multiple times and through multiple sources--something the OP was probably too busy or too naive to do. Not a criticism, as we've all been through "that stage."

Edited by toptuan

the best thing to do in this situation, when such a low amount is involved, is to learn the lesson, to pay the fine with a smile, and to forget about it. Giving a hard time to an immigration officer can only results in troubles.

the best thing to do in this situation, when such a low amount is involved, is to learn the lesson, to pay the fine with a smile, and to forget about it. Giving a hard time to an immigration officer can only results in troubles.

I disagree with this attitude. If someone has faced a situation such as the one the Op describes then I think they should make a complaint. Of course its not necessary to get angry or rude, but to simply state your disappointment at being given incorrect advise by someone in such a position is what should be done.

A friend of mine recently got sent on a wild-goose-chase between the airport and Suan-Plu - Eventually getting sick of the run around he demanded to see a senior officer who tore strips of his juniors for wasting so much of my friends time. In this case the didn't know the correct policy so rather than check with their senior they sent him off to another office.

This complaint and its reaction by the supervisor may have well have since saved other people time and hassle. This is why we complain or bring the attention to these departments and organizations when something is wrong.

I disagree with this attitude. If someone has faced a situation such as the one the Op describes then I think they should make a complaint. Of course its not necessary to get angry or rude, but to simply state your disappointment at being given incorrect advise by someone in such a position is what should be done.

A friend of mine recently got sent on a wild-goose-chase between the airport and Suan-Plu - Eventually getting sick of the run around he demanded to see a senior officer who tore strips of his juniors for wasting so much of my friends time. In this case the didn't know the correct policy so rather than check with their senior they sent him off to another office.

This complaint and its reaction by the supervisor may have well have since saved other people time and hassle. This is why we complain or bring the attention to these departments and organizations when something is wrong.

This MO might work in the Thai "holy land" (Bangkok and environs, where the officials and training may be the best in the kingdom), but I wouldn't advise it any where else. You just won't find that "service-mind" in most of the kingdom's immigration offices and outposts. A complaint or rocking the boat will just earn you trouble in the long run.