Have You Been Short Changed In After Hours Bars?

Chris84

where has all this anger come from mapguy? jai yen yen

No, I am really not angry at all. Life is good. I grant you that, this evening especially, I must appear angry. I have been quite blunt, not just here but on other topics. Guess it just got to me this evening! I have no problem with your question. I very rarely puncuate posts with "smiley faces."

What really distresses me --- a continung concern, really --- is that too many superannuated adolescents, in my view, seem to "lord it over" or "scare off" by volume of posts and the direction of such posts people who really might have something useful to say on whatever topic from time to time.

I believe that a lot of people get "spooked" by the "old boys." No need to name names. They really are ultimately bar (or restaurant) buddies. You know who they are. Just check it out. And check out the value altogether of their contributions.

This forum venue is not nearly as vicious as some I have seen, but it still remains an "old boys club" for certain people who sometimes but unfortunately post little worth reading, and, in my view, should get a life --- elsewhere. I suggest that they should save most (not all) of their contributions to bar chatter among their friends instead of taking up time with frivolous one-liners or something of that ilk.

From time to time, I try to join in the "fun," but what's the repartee worth? Not much at all.

The "resident" population here on TV Chiang Mai contributes a rather astounding numbers of posts and hits. Just check it out.

Want to go to a party? Check out any thread on TV Chiang Mai get-togethers at Tuskers! AMAZING!! At least between parties, I suggest that people should invest in a beer or two at their favorite pub and enjoy --- but not add their repartee here.

Just check posters and the number of posts. What are they worth?! You decide, of course. For me, I hate to see a valuable communications tool degenerate into such trivia and pissing contests as characterize TV Chiang Mai.

Sometimes, although rarely --- unfortunately --- some of the posters of massive amounts of crap really do have something useful to offer. But so much of what they post is dross and the useful stuff gets lost!!

TV Chiang Mai has been characterized previously as "romper room." I have never said that, but the point seems well made.

There is feeling of being bullied. and a sense that no matter what you write some uber expat will rip into you. Makes you miss the early internet days of the grammer nazis .

grammar nazis :)

sorry i just couldn't resist that

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I for one have never changed my shorts in after hours bars.

quote of the day! :)

And now perhaps he will write out the phrase in Thai......probably the first language of the poster...... :D

Agreed. I do hate those farang taking cheap jibes at the Thais. It's offensive and against forum rules. It isn't even funny anymore. It happens so much.

if your refering to my response @ getgoin's post about changing shorts in a after hours bar, it wasnt intended to be a cheap jibe @ Thais, but @ getgoins wit. hel_l, i didnt even think getgoin is Thai, esp if you follow on in the thread and read post #42 but if he/she is ...kor tort krup :D

so re read the thread and as my mama used to say....dont hatch your chickens before they can count! :D

you're getting yourself a bit confused.

posters should not knock thais for their level of english. that is the point not whether chickens hatch or not. take a break and get brain in gear - this is only a forum

posters should not knock thais for their level of english. that is the point not whether chickens hatch or not. take a break and get brain in gear - this is only a forum

im well rested thx and you still confuse me :)

im well rested thx and you still confuse me :D

No, no, no!!! :) This is real life!!!

Crikey, I'm getting close to 2,000 posts. That must be a record for useless, inane and annoying posts on any forum throughout the world.

Crikey, I'm getting close to 2,000 posts. That must be a record for useless, inane and annoying posts on any forum throughout the world.

I guess replying to your own posts bumps it up a bit Bill... :D

dam, i was hoping to get to 2000 useless, inane and annoying posts before you!! :D

where has all this anger come from mapguy? jai yen yen

No, I am really not angry at all. Life is good. I grant you that, this evening especially, I must appear angry. I have been quite blunt, not just here but on other topics. Guess it just got to me this evening! I have no problem with your question. I very rarely puncuate posts with "smiley faces."

What really distresses me --- a continung concern, really --- is that too many superannuated adolescents, in my view, seem to "lord it over" or "scare off" by volume of posts and the direction of such posts people who really might have something useful to say on whatever topic from time to time.

I believe that a lot of people get "spooked" by the "old boys." No need to name names. They really are ultimately bar (or restaurant) buddies. You know who they are. Just check it out. And check out the value altogether of their contributions.

This forum venue is not nearly as vicious as some I have seen, but it still remains an "old boys club" for certain people who sometimes but unfortunately post little worth reading, and, in my view, should get a life --- elsewhere. I suggest that they should save most (not all) of their contributions to bar chatter among their friends instead of taking up time with frivolous one-liners or something of that ilk.

From time to time, I try to join in the "fun," but what's the repartee worth? Not much at all.

The "resident" population here on TV Chiang Mai contributes a rather astounding numbers of posts and hits. Just check it out.

Want to go to a party? Check out any thread on TV Chiang Mai get-togethers at Tuskers! AMAZING!! At least between parties, I suggest that people should invest in a beer or two at their favorite pub and enjoy --- but not add their repartee here.

Just check posters and the number of posts. What are they worth?! You decide, of course. For me, I hate to see a valuable communications tool degenerate into such trivia and pissing contests as characterize TV Chiang Mai.

Sometimes, although rarely --- unfortunately --- some of the posters of massive amounts of crap really do have something useful to offer. But so much of what they post is dross and the useful stuff gets lost!!

TV Chiang Mai has been characterized previously as "romper room." I have never said that, but the point seems well made.

There is feeling of being bullied. and a sense that no matter what you write some uber expat will rip into you. Makes you miss the early internet days of the grammer nazis .

I'm sorry but 2 people joining a forum to rip the Jack Van Bar does not set well with me.

The OP was disguised as an innocent enough comment. Fair enough. Everyone has been short changed at one time or another and let's face it, in the world of half clad young ladies and men grabbing for the golden ring, more cash has disappeared from bar tops, pockets and bank accounts than we could ever discuss here. (Maybe someone should start a thread about what was the largest amount of money that they had been taken for in Chiang Mai.) Maybe if Chris would have left it at that but he wanted to make sure that his real intentions were fulfilled.

While the Uber Expats ripping into a new poster might be repugnant and correcting grammar trivial the whole purpose of this thread is to damage the business at the Jack Van Bar. (I'm not sticking up for the Jack Van Bar. I've never been there or at least that I can remember.)

So go ahead and rip the Uber Expats and the Good Old Boys (I like Uber Expats better) but don't think that anyone is innocent or being bullied.

To agree with getgoin. I did post this to lay in to Jack Van Bar, but also to get some advice, and to see if this is a regular problem in Thailand (i don't think it's a big problem). I was reminded once again that not everybody has the same moral standers as myself, but i will get a grip now, and probably continue to stay in thailand, as i have been for the last two years, on and off. I much prefer to travel a bit, but i have a girlfriend. Has anyone made a post asking 'Would you leave Thailand, and go somewhere new, if you didn't have your current thai girlfriend? In reply to my girlfriend posting. I have a laptop, and she likes to use computers. She wanted to post, she had a bad experience, she can read and write, so up to her, right?

To agree with getgoin. I did post this to lay in to Jack Van Bar, but also to get some advice, and to see if this is a regular problem in Thailand (i don't think it's a big problem). I was reminded once again that not everybody has the same moral standers as myself, but i will get a grip now, and probably continue to stay in thailand, as i have been for the last two years, on and off. I much prefer to travel a bit, but i have a girlfriend. Has anyone made a post asking 'Would you leave Thailand, and go somewhere new, if you didn't have your current thai girlfriend? In reply to my girlfriend posting. I have a laptop, and she likes to use computers. She wanted to post, she had a bad experience, she can read and write, so up to her, right?

Thanks for being honest and I do apologize for being rough on you.

... snip(s) ... Guess it just got to me this evening! ... What really distresses me ... lot of people get "spooked" by the "old boys." ... it still remains an "old boys club" for certain people ... what's the repartee worth? Not much at all. ... I hate to see a valuable communications tool degenerate into such trivia and pissing contests as characterize TV Chiang Mai. ... so much of what they post is dross and the useful stuff gets lost!!... end snip(s) ...

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun MapGuy,

Given your current experience of this forum, I can't help but wonder why you use it.

Or, it would seem to me reasonable, given how you experience it, that you would decide to show people here (assuming you felt they were not all "beyond redemption") a model for how someone might behave by posting frequent messages of the type you'd like to see other people post. In other words, lead by example. Further, one wonders why you would bother to read the posts of people that you experience as regularly contributing the kind of material you don't like.

My personal opinion is that the idea that this is "an old boys' club" is something you are making a choice to construct, and that there are many other options you might choose.

“The most important things to say are those which often I did not think necessary for me to say -- because they were too obvious.” Andre Gide

best, ~o:37;

Edited by orang37

[sawasdee Khrup, Khun MapGuy,

Given your current experience of this forum, I can't help but wonder why you use it.

Or, it would seem to me reasonable, given how you experience it, that you would decide to show people here (assuming you felt they were not all "beyond redemption") a model for how someone might behave by posting frequent messages of the type you'd like to see other people post. In other words, lead by example. Further, one wonders why you would bother to read the posts of people that you experience as regularly contributing the kind of material you don't like.

Another insightful post by the Orange Guy. Dharma comes in all shapes and sizes.

blog%20header.jpg

Chris though I sympathise with your experiences with the Jack Van Bar, if you've been here for two years It might of been better if you'd made a few other posts rather than waiting for something bad to happen before posting :) now that you've lost your TV virginity why not join in a bit more before waiting [hopefully not] for something bad to happen.

As for madguy, I could write something here to make him look stupid but he seems to be doing a fine job without my help

I've had quite different experiences at Jacky's van. Early in the evening (12.30) I've had the young lads falling over themselves helping me to park the car outside, probably because I tipped them 20 baht each time I ordered a beer the previous time I was there.

Conversely, I've had the '100 baht for the broken glass' routine when a friend accidently knocked one over. After explaining that I had a bar and knew how much the glasses cost (20 baht) I gave him 50 baht and let it slip. No need for that nonsense though.

They obviously have their good days and bad days.

I haven't been short-changed because I've also used the 7-11 to change 1000 baht note first. I thought it was me that came up with that one. I've been doing it for years - Sassienne must have seen me. Anyway, don't all go out doing that or they'll get wise. Also, I'm normally either reasonably sober OR I appear that way. Either helps.

I remember a bar in San Francisco had beer mats that said 'we cheat tourists and drunks'. Only a joke, but as they say 'many a true word spoken in jest'.

Edited by muggins

my understanding of the topic was that chris84 was asking that if anyone has had a similar experience of being short changed how did they deal with it, or how would be the best way to deal with such a scenario.

being english myself, i think that obviously the best way of dealing with this situation would be to smash up the bar, and if they have a swimming pool throw all the bar furniture into it.

sometimes these jolly foreigners need reminding of our superior british status

any time you need advice

d

my understanding of the topic was that chris84 was asking that if anyone has had a similar experience of being short changed how did they deal with it, or how would be the best way to deal with such a scenario.

being english myself, i think that obviously the best way of dealing with this situation would be to smash up the bar, and if they have a swimming pool throw all the bar furniture into it.

any time you need advice

d

however in Thailand, theres a thai way of dealing with yr colonialistic behaviour

better watch your back :)

Edited by Donnyboy

Great video, Donnyboy. Thanks. I had to watch it twice to see what hit the guy. He went down from only one punch. I thought it might have been a pool cue, but it was just some tough Thai guy's fist... right on the button. The English bloke went down in a heap from one blow.

dinphangan was obviously just joking with his comment. Unfortunately, booze seems to bring out the worst in people and a normally reasonable guy can turn into a looney-tunes with too many beer in him.

And, as foreigners, we ALWAYS have to remember where we are. It ain't the UK or an American bar we are in. Thais do somethings differently.

i thought the guy may have been wearing brass knuckles as you can hear a slight 'ding' with the punch, but i couldnt make anything out on his hand

I watch the fights occasionally, both Muay Thai and proper boxing, and occasionally you see a one punch knockout that dumps a guy in a heap, but not often.

I know what you are saying, VIBE. That is why if all I have is 1000 baht bills I ALWAYS ask if they have change for the 1000 BEFORE I give it to them. Very often they do not and I have to go out to get change elsewhere.

i thought the guy may have been wearing brass knuckles as you can hear a slight 'ding' with the punch, but i couldnt make anything out on his hand

According to a poster on this previous thread, the boy who hit him was only 15!

Regards Bojo

Great video Donny.

Having been on the wrong end of English yob nmany times during my career that video is priceless

You and Ianforbes are right though I see no reason to call the video great.

There was only one punch from one person.

There was also however a kick from another Thai when he was down and a few others there on video seemed keen to get involved

Does anyone have a video of a 1 to 1 fight between a Thai and a Farang, or even between one Thai and another. (Don't think so!! but I stand to be corrected)

Back to the topic, I've not had a problem anywhere in Chiang Mai in over two years, including the early reprobate period of after hours drinking, Spicy's, etc. Not in the places where no one knows me and I'm assumed to be a tourist, and especially not in regular haunts. Odds are someone will try it on sooner or later though, maybe the OP was just unlucky.

any time you need advice

d

however in Thailand, theres a thai way of dealing with yr colonialistic behaviour

better watch your back :)

I think if I was there I would have popped him too. And the way the loud mouth wussie dropped like a sad sack of potatoes. No wonder Thais sometimes get sick of westerners.