Thai Old Wives Tales?

Garry9999

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you sure it was because your feet were pointing to the headboard,or was it because your head was pointing to the West? I believe that West is the direction you arelaid to rest in, meaning only the dead sleep with their head in this direction. I had a GF move my bed once after I moved itunder the window because of this. Shesaid under no circumstances would she sleep in a bed facing this direction. The other explanation is Buddha is as thehead, so you should not put your feet there - if it was not related to West.

I don't believe it had anything to do with direction although, she may have failed to explain properly and this may have been the reason. But as I'm aware the head is the most sacred and the feet the dirtiest so would certainly make sense not to do this if you didn't want to offend someone. I don't think all Thais would be cremated, although what you say would make sense, but I did think this was the case with most!

My husband kicked up a total fuss when I wanted to site the bed with the headboard facing west despite the fact that it was the most practical way of using the space. I ignored his protestations for two years but our lack of success in producing a child was constantly referenced back to the position of the bed. Finally, I gave in and we moved the bed so that we are lying south to north. I'm now 8 weeks pregnant! But I'm sure it's a coincidence... or is it?

Anyway, his reasoning was that dead people are laid out with their heads pointing to the west. I know this to be true as his own mother was laid out in this way. And it's not only Thai people that believe that. My Jewish grandmother was laid out in the direction indicated by the rabbi too.

MCL

2. Never get your hair or nails cut on a Wednesday. ( No idea way not).

This comes from the legend of the Hindu god Ganesh (Thai: Pra Phikunet). He had his head was cut off by Shiva. When Ganesh's mother demanded that Shiva replace his head it could not be found. So they took the head of the first animal to come along, an elephant, and put its head on Ganesh's body. Supposedly this all happened on a Wednesday. And that is why most barbers are closed on Wednesday - and maybe you should avoid any that are still open - if you want to keep your head that is.

When my wife picked up her first new car, the monk told her it had to be on a Friday with a blue ribbon tired on the sterirng wheel, and only at 2:15 pm could she turn the key to start the engine and the car must be facing east.

ANY MONK REPRESENTING HIMSELF AS "MAW DOO" OF SOOTHSAYER/FORTUNE TELLER IS IN "DEFEAT" OF ONE OF THE FOUR DEFEATS PREVENTING THEM FROM BEING RECOGNIZED AS A MONK OF BUDDHISM... ACCORDING TO THE PATTIMOKA

I like to know about the different cultural differences, and the superstitions are sometimes based on some real life good advice so it might not all be a load of sh!t. Maybe more of us can make up our own tales that are as ridiculous, but that is for a different thread. Cheers.

None of these are nonsense.

For example,

1. Rain water falling on your head will make you sick. (Apparently water from the sky is different from water from a tap that you might wash your head with).
Especially in cities, you'll see many people wearin bags on their heads. Before the rain comes, there's a strong wind which fills the air with all kids of bacteria and dirt. The top of the head is an area which is very suseptible to these bacteria.

Source?
Rain or cold weather doesn't cause cold, a cold virus does.
But it might cause a chill, which feels similar to a cold.
Old wives tales are generally old wisdom, whether fallacious or not. The fallacies can be amusing. Seemingly true old wisdom can be very interesting.
Agreed. It should also be possible to disagree with a superstition without being labeled arrogant, and to agree with a superstition without being labeled ignorant. Live and let live. "If it don't cost your life it don't mean a thing!" Edited by ianh68

None of these are nonsense.

For example,

1. Rain water falling on your head will make you sick. (Apparently water from the sky is different from water from a tap that you might wash your head with).

Especially in cities, you'll see many people wearin bags on their heads. Before the rain comes, there's a strong wind which fills the air with all kids of bacteria and dirt. The top of the head is an area which is very suseptible to these bacteria.

'Top of the head is very susceptible to bacteria!!??" What nonsense. The strong wind does blow dust but where's the evidence that is full of bacteria that will somehow magically infect your head? There are essentially three ways bugs get into you: ingestion ( and maybe on the conjunctiva) inhalation and then by punctures to the skin. Simplified, but essentially these are the ways.

Strangely enough, I am starting to have some belief in this one since I came to live in Bangkok 3 years ago and my Thai girlfriend told it to me. I thought it was a great joke and went out of my way to show what a knowledgeable Westerner I was by getting my head wet in the rain - often.

At least twice I have got a nasty scalp irritation which I have never had before and I can only assume that it is because of the acid and pollution in the rain as I never had this problem where I came from (where the air was as pure as anywhere in the world).

Maybe the idea originated from Bangkok?

Edited by csolgosz

I find that often the word "tradition" is just an excuse to do the same stupid thing over and over again without having to give it logical thought. I'm not saying all tradition is bad but normally if you have to outright call something tradition it's because it no longer makes any sense and calling it such gives you a crutch to shut people up.

- "Hey dude!?! Like why is the meter going up so fast? Are you rippin' me off!"

- "It tradition krap!"

Tradition and superstition are pretty much the same thing here with the only difference being that tradition is followed to achieve a positive outcome and superstition is followed to avoid a negative one.

Edited by shazam

This comes from the legend of the Hindu god Ganesh (Thai: Pra Phikunet). He had his head was cut off by Shiva. When Ganesh's mother demanded that Shiva replace his head it could not be found. So they took the head of the first animal to come along, an elephant, and put its head on Ganesh's body. Supposedly this all happened on a Wednesday. And that is why most barbers are closed on Wednesday - and maybe you should avoid any that are still open - if you want to keep your head that is.

I never heard that, but have no reason to doubt it as Ganesh is very popular over here; so, Thank you for the info! Here's what I have heard:

The middle day of the week is named for the planet Mercury. English "Wednesday" is from 'Woden's Day', reflecting a widespread association of Woden with the Roman god, Mercury. Thai วันพุธ 'wan phut' is from Sanskrit name for the planet, बुध 'Budha', but Thai spells and pronounces the same as 'Buddha', leading to a popular if erroneous association with the Lord Buddha. It has long been a tradition in Siam/Thailand for butchers, barbers and beauticians to close on Buddhist Sabbaths, governed by quarters of the moon, but others regularly close on Wednesday. So, in some places you'll find it hard get your hair or nails cut, or buy meat on a Wednesday, but in others it's when there's a red Buddha image on your calendar for a given day of the week.

Since I'm expounding: Budha the God's color is green, and so is Wednesday's, but for reasons unknown to me, the Thai differentiate between Wednesday day and Wednesday night - the latter's color is light green. You can find Thai birth day colors (and Buddha images) here: http://www.usmta.com/Thai-Birthday.htm

Edited by PawyiLee

^^^

A cremation is never held on a Friday, because in Thai language Friday= one sook(sook=happines as in Kwham sook) so if you do, you will burn your happiness also.

The words are not the same.

The word for Friday is ศุกร์ (meaning the planet Venus), different from the word for happiness (สุข).

The words sound identical, though, which may be the basis for the myth.

^^^
A cremation is never held on a Friday, because in Thai language Friday= one sook(sook=happines as in Kwham sook) so if you do, you will burn your happiness also.

The words are not the same.

The word for Friday is ศุกร์ (meaning the planet Venus), different from the word for happiness (สุข).

The words sound identical, though, which may be the basis for the myth.

You are correct, but I didn't want to made it too complicated to understand

I never heard that, but have no reason to doubt it as Ganesh is very popular over here; so, Thank you for the info! Here's what I have heard:

The middle day of the week is named for the planet Mercury. English "Wednesday" is from 'Woden's Day', reflecting a widespread association of Woden with the Roman god, Mercury. Thai วันพุธ 'wan phut' is from Sanskrit name for the planet, बुध 'Budha', but Thai spells and pronounces the same as 'Buddha', leading to a popular if erroneous association with the Lord Buddha. It has long been a tradition in Siam/Thailand for butchers, barbers and beauticians to close on Buddhist Sabbaths, governed by quarters of the moon, but others regularly close on Wednesday. So, in some places you'll find it hard get your hair or nails cut, or buy meat on a Wednesday, but in others it's when there's a red Buddha image on your calendar for a given day of the week.

Since I'm expounding: Budha the God's color is green, and so is Wednesday's, but for reasons unknown to me, the Thai differentiate between Wednesday day and Wednesday night - the latter's color is light green. You can find Thai birth day colors (and Buddha images) here: http://www.usmta.com/Thai-Birthday.htm

Hmmm, very interesting. This is what this thread is about.....the diverse "tales" and the possible rationale behind them.

"Carrot's help you to see in the dark" is a good one.

This actually comes from WWII just as the RAF started using radar. Radar was still a secret at the time and the luftwaffe must have been wondering how it was that the British where able to 'see' so much better in the dark, therefore the MOD 'leaked' information that they had discovered a vitamin in carrots which improves night time vision and where feeding it to their pilots.

It was all a load of <deleted> of course.

This actually comes from WWII just as the RAF started using radar. Radar was still a secret at the time and the luftwaffe must have been wondering how it was that the British where able to 'see' so much better in the dark, therefore the MOD 'leaked' information that they had discovered a vitamin in carrots which improves night time vision and where feeding it to their pilots.

There is a difference between "old wives tales" and urban myth.

I heard that carrots ARE actually good for eyesight. I believe that beta carotine reduces the risk of cataracts, and vitamin A improves night vision in "night blind" people. Carots contain both.

No, not quite. You are correct in everything you say except for the bitter end. You can easily see for yourself by eating some, as long as you keep in mind (1) you must eat them raw and (2) the carrots you eat today will help you see better tomorrow night, not tonight. See the article at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carotene. (I'm assuming you're not a carnivore.)

I believe that when in Rome...

So I don't manicure my nails at night (according to my GF) or Wai children (makes then die quick, GF again) as well as a host of other seemingly implausible superstitions.

However I also remember that

"There is more to heaven and earth than are dreamed of in your mere philosophies" [sic]

and hearken to Lord Buddha's admonition,

"The mind is everything. What you think you become."

So believe or disbelieve at your own choosing.

slightly off topic but when i see a Thai with loads of amulets hanging around his neck, i always think sheeit! you must be a really bad man to be so scared and need so much protection....

Or a fan of BA Barracus from "The A Team"

"I ain't getting on no songtaew fool!"

:)

I believe that when in Rome...

So I don't manicure my nails at night (according to my GF) or Wai children (makes then die quick, GF again) as well as a host of other seemingly implausible superstitions.

As a matter of interest, what does GF say you should do if the child wais you? I was under the impression you were supposed to return any wai given by another.

If you point at a rainbow your finger will fall off.

I have a severe hand disability with missing fingers....and when I say I pointed at a rainbow, Thai friends just crack up.

In England, I just say I am Glenn Hoddle in his next life.

For any non Brits just google the name, and add "dismissal as England manager" for the background.

Doesn't the sun travel East to West? So how could your doors pointing South cause you to walk into the sun?

Northern hemisphere....the sun traverses an arc roughly above the equator (more northerly or southerly depending on the season), and being north of the equator, Thailand would have the sun generally to the south (towards the equator).

Yes, maybe this is interesting to some people, but for me I could care less for any of such nonsense. I try to steer clear of people who believe in all the various supersticious crap here.

What about christians, muslims, jews, hindus - do you steer clear of them too?

So Christinity and Islam are the same as the supersticious witchcraft and other hocus pocus discussed here?

Yes

Doesn't the sun travel East to West? So how could your doors pointing South cause you to walk into the sun?

North of the equator, sunshine!

You don't think enough

Thailand was North of the equator last time I looked.

North of the equator, sunshine!

You don't think enough

Thailand was North of the equator last time I looked.

Just to clarify these off tropic remarks:-

The shadow of a sun dial moves clockwise in the northern hemisphere (opposite of the southern hemisphere). During the day the sun tends to raise to its maximum at a southerly position, whereas in the southern hemisphere it raises to a maximum that is northerly in position (as it tends towards the direction of the equator). In both hemispheres the sun rises in the east and sets in the west.

Also the Moon appears "upside down" compared to a view from the southern hemisphere and the view of the stars is much different.