Is This A Scam

lioness

I received an e mail supposidly from pay pal yesterday to say they are updating their records.

Other people may get the same.

The area of concern is that they ask for your ATM pin number.

I have no intention of supplying that sort of information and I am not replying to the e mail. However just thought I would make this public as you should never supply your pin number to anyone.

You can help protect your account against PayPal scams by being cautious in giving out your own personal information such as first name, last name, business name, email address, password, financial information (credit card, bank account number, PIN), social security number, and driver's license number.

Tips to stay safe from PayPal fraud or scams:

• Log in safely: To log in to your PayPal account or access the PayPal website, open a new web browser (e.g., Internet Explorer or Netscape) and type in the following: https://www.paypal.com/
  • Check the email greeting: Emails from PayPal will always address you by your first and last name or the business name associated with your PayPal account. A PayPal scam email may include the salutation "Dear PayPal User" or "Dear PayPal Member"
  • Look out for attachments: PayPal emails will never ask you to download an attachment or a software program. An attachment found in a PayPal scam email will often contain a virus that can harm your computer or compromise your PayPal account
  • Never give out personal information: If we require information from you, we will notify you in an email and request that you enter the information only after you have safely and securely logged in to your PayPal account.
    Often, PayPal scams will request details such as your full name, account password, credit card number, bank account, PIN number, Social Security Number, or mother's maiden name.

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=xpt/Help/general/TopQuestion5-outside

Log into your PayPal account from your browser. Do not use the link in the e-mail. And there check if they honestly need to update your account.

Of course the e-mail is a scam. PayPal doesn't require a pin number to use it. They do ask for a ccv2 number (the 3 digit number printed on the back of your card near the signature block. Never reply to these e-mails. Forward the e-mail to spoof[at]paypal.com

I received the phishing tries last Oct & Nov. reported them to Paypal and never heard back.

ebay owns paypal and I wouldn't be surprised if the emails being sent are using mailing lists from either one of the companies. Consumer protection agencies/regulators have been voicing their concerns over identity and personal data security for many years. A quick search about these scams will yield you info.

I get phished all day long, never log in or call anyone back... other than directly logging in through your own typed in or bookmarked URL (NOT the link provided in any email), or calling directly to a customer service number that you have for your bank/financial institution (NOT the number provided in an email, SMS, or voice mailbox message).

:)