Ripped Off In Laos

hello friends,i recently went to veitienne,laos.i arrived at the thaio consulate there by taxi and the driver talked to someone across from the thai embassey there.i was told i needed to pay 5,500 baht which i did.should i have crossed the road and talked to them at the embassey.buffaloe.if i should have paid 1,900 baht are nothing at all.if so i quess i will rack this up as a bad experiance.buffaloe p.s.i went july 20th

hello friends,i recently went to veitienne,laos.i arrived at the thaio consulate there by taxi and the driver talked to someone across from the thai embassey there.i was told i needed to pay 5,500 baht which i did.should i have crossed the road and talked to them at the embassey.buffaloe.if i should have paid 1,900 baht are nothing at all.if so i quess i will rack this up as a bad experiance.buffaloe p.s.i went july 20th

take the easy option and you will always pay more.

There is a plethora of information available on the T/V Forum about going to Vientiane Lao PDR for visas in this thread (which is btw 47 pages long);

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Vientiane-La...sa-t158561.html

I think this should be chalked up to "failure to do adequate research", and/or taken as a "learning experience". Believe me the Laotians know you're there for one reason only; a visa to return to thailand. Given the high numbers of foreigners going there because it is a “user-friendly” consulate this has become a viable "cash cow" for them. Therefore exploiting the ignorance of foreigners is not entirely unexpected. Much like the touts near the grand palace, etc here in Bangkok who bait and switch gullible tourists.

I wouldn't be in such a rush to down the entire experience, because at least you learned something, which most likely is; "when in doubt, ask". With tourist visas being “free” at this time it would be good to know what type of visa you were trying to get and/or received. It would also be good to know if you used the "same-day-service" offered by the touts outside the Consulate.

Hopefully you got your visa,

• 3 weeks later...
You paid extra to jump the que, last time I was there I did the same thing. It beats waiting 2-3hrs just to submit your doc's... :)

Like TopDogger said you paid extra to jump the queue, where is the rip-off? If you didn't want to jump the queue then you shouldn't have paid extra.

Brigante7.