Business Is Picking Up

muggins

It doesn't exist for me, I don't live down South - It is unlikely to be a problem for any tourist as well. It's not like Indonesia/India where tourists are being specifically targeted in major cities and tourist hotspots.

A very small ostrich with severe myopia; what a sad excuse you are Benjie. Are you going to tell me that the Meridien Lee Gardens bombing in Hat Yai was not aimed at tourists and locals alike? Try telling that to my friend that still bears schrapnel scars.

Tourism in Hat Yai has never really recovered. I just hope one day you will be in the middle of one, but with your head so far in the sand, you probably would not notice.

Never even heard of it until you just mentioned it and I looked it up on the web.

Thanks for wishing me to be blown up for not agreeing with your views, hmm.... sounds familiar, doesn't it?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I gotta tell it like I see it.

I agree with MM's comments on the situation in the south.

Add in the King Power scams at Suwarnabhumi.

Add in all the unsolved :) murders of tourists that have occurred in recent years.

Add in the taxi scams at the airports (and elsewhere)

Add in the "I could go on ad infinitem"

I have told all my friends and acquaintences to avoid Thailand like the plague.

I apologise to folk like UG and others who rely on tourists but at the end of the day Thailand has just got to get it's shyt together. There are a thousand reasons why people should spend their tourist dollar elsewhere.

I have just returned from the "Lion City" where you don't have to ask a taxi driver to turn his meter on, and when you get to your destination he doesn't say "sorry, I don't have change"

And before some one comes up with "but yes" you have just visited there let me tell you that I have visited there perhaps 40 - 50 times and also worked there.

When Thailand introduces some ethics and integrity into the way it does business it has a chance but it ain't gonna happen in my "or my grand childrens" life time.

All the "goody two shoes" on TV can say what they like but these are the facts.

And talking of LOS (land of smiles) they do actually smile in the "Lion City" too.

You come across as a bit of a drama queen.

Millions of people travelled to the UK whilst there were problems in N.Ireland, they just had the sense to avoid that area. Besides, people didn't come to the UK to go to N.Ireland and similarly, people don't come to Thailand to go to the deep south.

Taxi drivers the world over may rip you off - not enough to put most people off.

Scams? - they happen everywhere.

Unsolved murders? How many in how many years? Is it one a year? Daily events in a lot of western countries.

Millions of tourists come here every year, have a great time and never have any problems. It seems to me that the only one unhappy here is you.  It comes across as very strange that you tell your friends to 'avoid the place like the plague' and yet you remain. Just out of curiosity, why do you stay?

Seems like you and Benjie come from the same village.

I have my reasons for being here.

And they weren't/aren't to look at temples

But I don't have my head in the sand (or somewhere else) And if I see something that appals me I will (as I said) state it like it is.

I am not suggesting that your knowledge of the realm is in any way related to the fact you only joined up a couple of weeks ago (when I first came here there was no such thing as TV)

It doesn't matter whether I like something or detest it I not gonna pack up and run.

And as for being a drama queen, well, far be it for me to suggest that you are a chok wow :D

But I don't have my head in the sand (or somewhere else) And if I see something that appals me I will (as I said) state it like it is.

I am not suggesting that your knowledge of the realm is in any way related to the fact you only joined up a couple of weeks ago (when I first came here there was no such thing as TV)

It doesn't matter whether I like something or detest it I not gonna pack up and run.

And as for being a drama queen, well, far be it for me to suggest that you are a chok wow :)

You just sound like the typical grumpy expat who's stuck here without a choice, I can see how being in such a position may alter your view but some of us really enjoy living here, warts and all.

The negative TV crowd can't help trying to bring everyone down to their level of angst, I know some people hate Thailand but can't understand why bother stick around, why post here even. I know a lot of people who don't even read this forum because its so full of negativity, a few business people post in a thread that business is picking up and in swoop the vultures to tell them how it really is.

I agree with MM's comments on the situation in the south.

Add in the King Power scams at Suwarnabhumi.

Add in all the unsolved :) murders of tourists that have occurred in recent years.

Add in the taxi scams at the airports (and elsewhere)

Add in the "I could go on ad infinitem"

I have told all my friends and acquaintences to avoid Thailand like the plague.

I apologise to folk like UG and others who rely on tourists but at the end of the day Thailand has just got to get it's shyt together. There are a thousand reasons why people should spend their tourist dollar elsewhere.

I have just returned from the "Lion City" where you don't have to ask a taxi driver to turn his meter on, and when you get to your destination he doesn't say "sorry, I don't have change"

And before some one comes up with "but yes" you have just visited there let me tell you that I have visited there perhaps 40 - 50 times and also worked there.

When Thailand introduces some ethics and integrity into the way it does business it has a chance but it ain't gonna happen in my "or my grand childrens" life time.

All the "goody two shoes" on TV can say what they like but these are the facts.

And talking of LOS (land of smiles) they do actually smile in the "Lion City" too.

You come across as a bit of a drama queen.

Millions of people travelled to the UK whilst there were problems in N.Ireland, they just had the sense to avoid that area. Besides, people didn't come to the UK to go to N.Ireland and similarly, people don't come to Thailand to go to the deep south.

Taxi drivers the world over may rip you off - not enough to put most people off.

Scams? - they happen everywhere.

Unsolved murders? How many in how many years? Is it one a year? Daily events in a lot of western countries.

Millions of tourists come here every year, have a great time and never have any problems. It seems to me that the only one unhappy here is you. It comes across as very strange that you tell your friends to 'avoid the place like the plague' and yet you remain. Just out of curiosity, why do you stay?

And as for being a drama queen, well, far be it for me to suggest that you are a chok wow :D

same village.

same ostrich farm

And as for being a drama queen, well, far be it for me to suggest that you are a chok wow :)

You just sound like the typical grumpy expat who's stuck here without a choice, I can see how being in such a position may alter your view but some of us really enjoy living here, warts and all.

The negative TV crowd can't help trying to bring everyone down to their level of angst, I know some people hate Thailand but can't understand why bother stick around, why post here even. I know a lot of people who don't even read this forum because its so full of negativity, a few business people post in a thread that business is picking up and in swoop the vultures to tell them how it really is.

Exactly, Bengie, a few business people.

The strength of a forum is that it has many more inputs than just a few ostriches with their heads in the sand or wherever else they care to put their heads.

I've been here for 20 years - still enjoying it. In fact, I'm thinking of staying.

There are far fewer problems here than in most countries in the world as far as I'm concerned.

I still think you were being a a little bit over-dramatic 'Avoid the place like the plague' !!!

The Chok wow thing wasn't very nice was it? A bit rude, I thought.

I imagine you're having a tough time right now so I won't take it seriously.

Anyone for tennis?

Edited by muggins

But the negative input hasn't been from business owners has it?

It's been primarily from people who seem bitter that Thailand or anyone in Thailand could be feeling even a little positive.

No offense caf but I'm hardly going to take anything you say too seriously, it was only a week ago that you were insisting I was some sort of Kingpower secret agent.

Never even heard of it until you just mentioned it and I looked it up on the web.

Thanks for wishing me to be blown up for not agreeing with your views, hmm.... sounds familiar, doesn't it?

It was international news seeing that foreigners were among the injured, but head and sand are two words that spring to mind. :)

While you are doing your web searching try "Royal Pattani Hotel" I also had friends injured in that little bombing.

You seem to negate the south, but it used to have a vibrant tourism. Now that is in tatters along with the local economy.

Far from me to wish anyone "blow up" as you put it, as I have seen more than my fair share of carnage. Just a little insight and some acceptance of what is going on around you will suffice. :D

>>Unsolved murders? How many in how many years? Is it one a year? Daily events in a lot of western countries.<<

Thought the problems with the murders in this country was not how many or that they were unsolved, but that the perpetrators were not apprehended in many instances

Exactly, Benjie, a few business people.

The strength of a forum is that it has many more inputs than just a few ostriches with their heads in the sand or wherever else they care to put their heads.

What's with the ostriches? Neither Bengie or I suggested that Thailand doesn't have problems. Far from it.

I said that Thailand, like everywhere, has Taxi Rip-offs, scam-artists, murders and political problems. They don't affect the vast majority of people so life goes on. I wouldn't dream of telling people to 'avoid Thailand like the plague'. It's a good place to live and to holiday for most people. My sister's love it and can't wait to come back each year. 

Poor old John B Good has Thousands of reasons as to why tourists shouldn't come here. 

Is that  a little bit over-dramatic or not? 

I think it was the use of the word 'queen' that bothered him though.

BTW, I'm not sure where Benjie is from, but I'm not from a village.

I'm from a big city that has frequent murders, stabbings, taxi rip-offs and scam artists. A great place to visit, nonetheless. It was European Capital of culture last year!!!

Exactly, Benjie, a few business people.

What's with the ostriches? Neither Bengie or I suggested that Thailand doesn't have problems. Far from it.

I said that Thailand, like everywhere, has Taxi Rip-offs, scam-artists, murders and political problems. They don't affect the vast majority of people so life goes on. I wouldn't dream of telling people to 'avoid Thailand like the plague'. It's a good place to live and to holiday for most people. My sister's love it and can't wait to come back each year.

Poor old John B Good has Thousands of reasons as to why tourists shouldn't come here.

Is that a little bit over-dramatic or not?

I think it was the use of the word 'queen' that bothered him though.

BTW, I'm not sure where Benjie is from, but I'm not from a village.

I'm from a big city that has frequent murders, stabbings, taxi rip-offs and scam artists. A great place to visit, nonetheless. It was European Capital of culture last year!!!

People in general seem to look at the bad or negative rather than the good, so when the media says that Thailand is bad and dangerous that potential tourist will take it on board that he will be drugged and sodomised by lady boys then trampled by an elephant and then spend two weeks stranded at the airport being hassled by fake tourist police who will shove drugs up his bottom and he will spend the rest of his days eating 3 day old rice in a Bangkok prison.

So these days with the power of the media and especially the internet potential tourists will look at John B Good's posts and others of his ilk who come out of the woodwork every hot season and rant about the pollution in Chiang Mai and say

"fancy Benidorm this year darling?"

Millions of tourists come here every year, have a great time and never have any problems. It seems to me that the only one unhappy here is you. It comes across as very strange that you tell your friends to 'avoid the place like the plague' and yet you remain. Just out of curiosity, why do you stay?

Same as it ever was, yes?

But the negative input hasn't been from business owners has it?

It's been primarily from people who seem bitter that Thailand or anyone in Thailand could be feeling even a little positive.

No offense caf but I'm hardly going to take anything you say too seriously, it was only a week ago that you were insisting I was some sort of Kingpower secret agent.

You have a way with words, benjie.

Not a very accurate way it must be admitted. But I suppose you do have a way of sorts

Edited by caf

Anyway, back on topic. We were packed tonight - this is the first chance I've had to sit down all night!!

Everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves, too. No mention of Taxi rip-offs, Airport Scams, Double-pricing or Southern Unrest from anyone. Not a peep. Too busy enjoying themselves, I imagine. That's tourists for you!!!

Singapores nice but not for me

whats the word im looking for?......

Clean? Organized? Efficient? Safe? Progressive? Stable?

If all of that equals sanitized, then I wish Thailand was a bit more sanitized.

Must admit that I love Singapore and greatly prefer it to Thailand these days. It would make the ideal place to retire to in a few years but unfortunately they don't offer retirement visas.

OK, ONE business was down for ONE hour on ONE day, after they got a bunch of bad publicity. Is that supposed to prove something? :)

It's caused a headache for the PM and the London thai ambassador for starters. Don't you read other posts, other forums, and sources out of thailand.

The poster gave ONE example. He was not writing a full thesis and did not purport to be doing so.

Widen your sources of information.

Huh? We are discussing business in Chiang Mai, not the Kingpower "shoplifting" incident. Their business might be down, but that does not mean that everyone else is in the same situation.

Edited by Ulysses G.

when the media says that Thailand is bad and dangerous that potential tourist will take it on board that he will be drugged and sodomised by lady boys

Some tourists would pay premium rates for this service. :)

I had to bump this up.

While Thailand might get some negative publicity and some might hide in the shadows from the bad things that might happen to them, try going to other countries in the 3rd world and then decide if tourists should shun Thailand. What a ridiculous thing to say. Thailand is one the safest countries in the world. Always has been. The women are some of the most beautiful women in the world. Most Thai men are gay. The beaches are beautiful, the countryside picturesque, the food delicious and the culture exotic. Why in the hel_l would you tell people to stay away? Some folks get caught up in their mundane little lives and fail to see the big picture.

Business always picks up in the summer. Wait until September.

I am in Canada and was in a coffee shop and got chatting to a couple who were considering going to a "warm" climate for the winter. We discussed a number of locations and I asked if they considered Thailand? There response was too much hassle. They felt the political instability, airport closure, Muslim problems in the south, visa issues were too much trouble when there were other places in the world that seemed to be more receptive and less hassle. They also stated they felt that Thailand is not as economical a place to go as it once was.

I told them I thought Thailand was a place I always wanted to visit and they wished me well as they would not be going. So I thought you forum members might find it interesting the perception from across the pond, that is being generated by some of the actions and the news from Thailand.

Had they been before?

The muslim situation in the South seems a really strange thing to pick out, especially since so many people from all over the world are killed by terrorism for example London, NY, Madrid etc... What are the Visa issues? you can get 3 months pretty easy.

In terms of money, the Canadian dollar is doing very well against the baht, I'm not sure I understand what they meant.

I think the point is "perception" What you hear in the news etc. It may not be totally accurate but when people are faced with a wide number of choices issues like this can quickly affect the decision to go one place or another.

1) To my knowledge they have not been to Thailand.

2) To listen to what they had to say is "there is a Muslim problem in Thailand" (that is affecting their decision of where to go) I understand it may be in the south and only in the south, but to them the problem is in Thailand. And I don't think they are looking at vacationing in London or New York or Madrid. They are looking for a "warm" Place to go in the winter, that THEY feel is a safe place. Somehow they got the idea that Thailand is no longer all that safe, i.e. the political unrest, airports being shut down by protesters.

3) In terms of the Canadian dollar doing well against the baht that is great. However in the conversation I got the impression they THOUGHT it was doing better in other areas of the world.

What I found interesting about the conversation was they were not willing to really do a lot of research to verify if their reasons for discounting a place were valid. If it was on the news and it sounded bad then lets look for a place where there are no bad news reports. And if the dollar is looking favourable then great they are on the list to consider. This will not be the case for all potential people but a percentage. Thailand has had some bad press over the past year and that is enough to form opinions.

You might be surprised the number of people who have said "Thailands not very good right now you know" when I tell them I am looking to go. This is formulated from those news snippets we get. They do not have the benefit of the local knowledge you have. Right now we have forest fires in BC. I have had emails from some of my relatives who think our whole province is on fire. News shapes the way we think and the way we make decisions. It may not be optimal but it is what it is.

That's the way I see it "from across the pond"

when the media says that Thailand is bad and dangerous that potential tourist will take it on board that he will be drugged and sodomised by lady boys

Some tourists would pay premium rates for this service. :)

I had to bump this up.

While Thailand might get some negative publicity and some might hide in the shadows from the bad things that might happen to them, try going to other countries in the 3rd world and then decide if tourists should shun Thailand. What a ridiculous thing to say. Thailand is one the safest countries in the world. Always has been. The women are some of the most beautiful women in the world. Most Thai men are gay. The beaches are beautiful, the countryside picturesque, the food delicious and the culture exotic. Why in the hel_l would you tell people to stay away? Some folks get caught up in their mundane little lives and fail to see the big picture.

Business always picks up in the summer. Wait until September.

you have some strange ideas.

most thai men are gay? really.

thailand has always been one of the safest countries in the world?? don't think so - get teh facts and compare

I can only quote your own words " What a ridiculous thing to say"

Do you really need to talk up the business situation? Look at the actuality.

Just trying to point out the positive. And I just said that business is always up in July. Sure it's slower than last year but July is always a busy month.

All Thai men are gay!

I think you're twisting the truth a little so in your mind there's more females for you. Nothing wrong with a positive mental approach. Nothing wrong with dreams either!!

regards Bojo

Just trying to point out the positive. And I just said that business is always up in July. Sure it's slower than last year but July is always a busy month.

All Thai men are gay!

I think you're twisting the truth a little so in your mind there's more females for you. Nothing wrong with a positive mental approach. Nothing wrong with dreams either!!

regards Bojo

There's a difference between most and all. It's a positive thing for the gay men, of which Chiang Mai has a lot. Sorry for pointing out the obvious. Maybe the word is many.

I'm away for the summer and thought I'd finally take a look at this optimistically titled thread and maybe hear some good news about CM. But ho-ho ! All we have here is little cat fighting. Or is it cackling hens ?

Really, I am trying to picture my beloved, missed city and how the businesses are faring this season. ANy input on this ? Are the tourists coming ? Is walking street looking empty of Farang ? Are the bars on Loi Kroh sitting quiet and empty ? What are hotel occupancy rates these days ?

I just read a BKK Post article saying that more n more Thais are cashing in their saved up change and that there's double the amt of 10B coins coming back tot he treasury from banks than usual - a sign that ppl are cutting back and trying to find dough where they can. I can only imagine that maybe now the global economic downswing that everybody had said 'still hadn't hit Thailand' last year, is finally making itself known.