Best Thing About This Time Of Year?

muggins

I don't know about you but, as far as I'm concerned the one of the great things about Chiang Mai at this time of the year is the constant stream of fresh fruits coming into season. We've had Mangoes, Rambutan, and Lychees, Lamyais are just about out and Noynaa (custard Aplle) is delicious right now. I have a theory that you could live on fruits at this time of year but I haven't tried it out.

BTW, my wife insists that some fruits should be avoided when drinking beer, but that might just be a ploy. Has anyone experienced such a problem?

What is your favourite fruit? Keep it clean please.

Lychees are my favourite. They we're almost giving tham away this year. The market price was so low that to harvest and send to market was hardly worth the while that some orchards we're just left to their own. Bet the canners had a bumper year.

regards Bojo

I love mangoes. I have star fruit and lumyai growing in the garden and they have both just finished dropping.

I also love dragon fruit - they were also really cheap this year with 3 for 20Baht at the market.

The kids love LumYai and rambuttan, so we buy that by the carrier bag full!

I love mangoes. I have star fruit and lumyai growing in the garden and they have both just finished dropping.

I also love dragon fruit - they were also really cheap this year with 3 for 20Baht at the market.

The kids love LumYai and rambuttan, so we buy that by the carrier bag full!

mangoes :)

i dont mind the unripened ones either

It has to be durien hands down.

I can't get enough of it when I'm in Thailand and after some time back in the UK when I return to Thailand always have a bit of a feast. It is really expensive in London and I've seen them selling for about £30 for a medium one and you don't even know if it's good.

I must say that I've been drunk and eaten durien and I don't think it's done anything to me.

I WAS going to post a photo of the ladyboys, but I have to temper my weird humour now and then. :)

I've always been a fruit lover and eat it from morning to night. I'm in Canada right now, but just came home with a box of mangos from Mexico. I have to say they are nothing like the ripe mangos I can get in Thailand. It is unfortunate that fresh fruit has to be picked green so it can be shipped. Some fruit doesn't ripen well when picked green and certainly doesn't have the same sweet flavour. I love mangos, but only when they are ripe. It's the same with peaches and plums here in Canada. Apples are better when a little bit green, but not pears or peaches.

I envy those with a Mango tree, but I'm told they attract wasps when they ripen.

Boon_and_mango_tree.sized.jpg

It is pretty good what you can get in a Thai fruit market for only a couple of dollars

Pattaya_market_5.jpg

Fruit_bowl.sized.jpg

I WAS going to post a photo of the ladyboys, but I have to temper my weird humour now and then. :)

I've always been a fruit lover and eat it from morning to night. I'm in Canada right now, but just came home with a box of mangos from Mexico. I have to say they are nothing like the ripe mangos I can get in Thailand. It is unfortunate that fresh fruit has to be picked green so it can be shipped. Some fruit doesn't ripen well when picked green and certainly doesn't have the same sweet flavour. I love mangos, but only when they are ripe. It's the same with peaches and plums here in Canada. Apples are better when a little bit green, but not pears or peaches.

I envy those with a Mango tree, but I'm told they attract wasps when they ripen.

Boon_and_mango_tree.sized.jpg

It is pretty good what you can get in a Thai fruit market for only a couple of dollars

Pattaya_market_5.jpg

Fruit_bowl.sized.jpg

Not sure about wasps but mango trees seem to attract the large red ants [ mot daeng] who build their nests in the leaves.

I don't know about you but, as far as I'm concerned the one of the great things about Chiang Mai at this time of the year is the constant stream of fresh fruits coming into season. We've had Mangoes, Rambutan, and Lychees, Lamyais are just about out and Noynaa (custard Aplle) is delicious right now. I have a theory that you could live on fruits at this time of year but I haven't tried it out.

BTW, my wife insists that some fruits should be avoided when drinking beer, but that might just be a ploy. Has anyone experienced such a problem?

Muggins, I think you are right that you can live on just fruits here. Many times, I will have a few glasses of fruit smoothies for lunch. They sure leave me refreshed and feeling energetic. I posted my recipe in post #9 below. Try it out sometime:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Making-Fruit...t&p=2883437

I think my favorite fruit though is one I don't know how to transliterate very well. I can say it in Thai and in English it comes out as "Gngok." Here's a photo of a common afternoon gngok snack at our bungalow.....

post-498-1248487023_thumb.jpg

Fruits are indeed one of the great things about living in Chiang Mai!

I bought two Custard Apple trees on the side of the road on the way back from Laos a couple of months ago, one I planted in our house in Chiang Mai and it is doing very well. The other I planted in Pai but it is not doing as well as the one in CM. Maybe the slight difference in temperature is enough to make the one in Pai not so happy?

Colin

zzaa09 has a good photo of my favorite fruit...... after that I like lychee, ate about 2kilo a day while in season, noticed the lychee vendors at the park are selling different fruits and staying open after the season, this is the first time I have seen this.

Muggins, I think you are right that you can live on just fruits here. Many times, I will have a few glasses of fruit smoothies for lunch. They sure leave me refreshed and feeling energetic. I posted my recipe in post #9 below. Try it out sometime:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Making-Fruit...t&p=2883437

I think my favorite fruit though is one I don't know how to transliterate very well. I can say it in Thai and in English it comes out as "Gngok." Here's a photo of a common afternoon gngok snack at our bungalow.....

post-498-1248487023_thumb.jpg

Fruits are indeed one of the great things about living in Chiang Mai!

Rambutan is the word used in english for this fruit, although I think rambutan is actually a Malay word. Just much easier for western tongues to pronounce.

Rambutans are widely grown in the part of the South where I live and in season you can get a kilo for a ridiculously low price. My mother-in-law has a few rambutan trees and while smaller than the commercially grown fruit, they seem to be much sweeter. Probably because they are picked totally ripe instead of slightly green and then shipped.