Don't Buy A Car If You Live In Bangkok

dondraper

You show up at a shopping mall past 11:00 am on a weekday and there is no parking. To go from one BTS to another on Sukhumwit road can take 45 minutes at any given time. Such as, "Hey is 10:00 PM Tuesday" and it takes you 35 minutes to get from Phrom Phong BTS to Thong Lo BTS... Trying to find a parking on the street? Good luck. You wanted to eat at some restauarant on Soi X, there is no parking so now you must go find parking on another Soi and walk. Your car will end up dirty as hel_l even parked inside a covered garage. Driving is a chaotic nightmare with uneducated motorcyclists, bus drivers, and taxi drivers who have no personal regard for their own lives. There is no getting away from having a car as a symbol of social status if you are invovled with someone from the middle/upper echelon of society, but I will tell you that, while it seems like a good idea, it totally sucks and will likely just leave you depressed. I wish the Thai government would wake up and make it much more expensive for these people to drive 5-15 year old cars in Central Bangkok like they do in Sinagpore. There are also way too many Taxis on the road. What's going on here?

Edited by dondraper

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You show up at a shopping mall past 11:00 am on a weekday and there is no parking. To go from one BTS to another on Sukhumwit road can take 45 minutes at any given time. Such as, "Hey is 10:00 PM Tuesday" and it takes you 35 minutes to get from Phrom Phong BTS to Thong Lo BTS... Trying to find a parking on the street? Good luck. You wanted to eat at some restauarant on Soi X, there is no parking so now you must go find parking on another Soi and walk. Your car will end up dirty as hel_l even parked inside a covered garage. Driving is a chaotic nightmare with uneducated motorcyclists, bus drivers, and taxi drivers who have no personal regard for their own lives. There is no getting away from having a car as a symbol of social status if you are invovled with someone from the middle/upper echelon of society, but I will tell you that, while it seems like a good idea, it totally sucks and will likely just leave you depressed. I wish the Thai government would wake up and make it much more expensive for these people to drive 5-15 year old cars in Central Bangkok like they do in Sinagpore. There are also way too many Taxis on the road. What's going on here?

Thanks for the advice :) . I've forever remained steadfast towards my dislike of a BKK residence after some 22+ years. Whimsy and rhetoric......where do you people come from?

BTS and too many taxis are mentioned. Any further comment would be superfluous.

Too many taxis, I would think that would be a good thing, if one is to promote less cars on the roads....

Nah, best thing is to limit the taxis too. You want people in buses and on BTS/MRT.

I am leaning towards getting a driver, as that seems the only reasonable solution.

Seems strange to me that whilst you sit highly perched in your car, farang hi-so, you only pass comment on the uneducated motorcyclist....havent you noticed that the car drivers are just as bad?

You could always rack off back to ur home country, no doubt its so much better there. :)

No way, car drivers are much better drivers and much more cautious than bus, taxi and motorcyclist drivers.

And its not about being HiSo. Its about there simply not being enough space for everyone that is currently on the road. What can we do about it? Well, we can raise the cost of driving or I guess they could make it so half the cars are allowed on the road on M-W-F-S and the other half can use the roads on T-T-S-S... Either would be fine for me.

If one can afford having a car, it's an big advantage also in BKK. Can see many places others never see, like lovely outskirts. During free time discoverer districts around BKK and make longer trips in Thailand.

Public transportation with sky train and metro is fantastic now, compared to before, but still can use the car, if you want to. Driving cars and motor bikes in the 80s in BKK, I can tell, that now it is pleasure.

Hire a driver, well worth it. Just make sure you make the ground rules/job description clear at the beginning, especially pertaining to maximum driving speeds, telephone use, car wash schedule (basically every single day, sometimes a couple times a day). I generally find that I'm at my destination before I've even finished a few units of work, play (games), or reading.

:)

Bad driving r traffic isn't unique to Thailand.

I drive in Bkk most days and just plan my moves between rush hour and use the expressways. I have an in car video camera to record all the action in case of an accident and inevitable, 'farang is wrong'. It cost about $50 dollars and has saved me loads in possible fines or stitch-ups.

The cops usually accept my story without even reviewing the footage. So no more false speeding fines, crossing the solid white lines etc, and the camera turns to point at my side window when I chat to the cop. My wife asks them to smile for the camera. Amazing how shy they are.

cops always ask where you are going, despite the irrelevance of the answer. I now tell them 'to the hospital as i have flu symptoms' again they are more than happy to wave me on after taking a massive step backwards.

I enjoy driving in Bangkok as there is a quality of satisfaction in surviving the mayhem

No way, car drivers are much better drivers and much more cautious than bus, taxi and motorcyclist drivers.

And its not about being HiSo. Its about there simply not being enough space for everyone that is currently on the road. What can we do about it? Well, we can raise the cost of driving or I guess they could make it so half the cars are allowed on the road on M-W-F-S and the other half can use the roads on T-T-S-S... Either would be fine for me.

They did that in the UK and now there is massive congestion on the roads. Obviously that does not work without a massive input of funds into the buses and railways.

Ah, but, they cut the bus routes and the rail services, so back to the car then :)

:):D:D

Sorry, but I must laugh at the OP's topic. It is the same in EVERY large city in the world. My sister lives in London, England. They own a car but only drive it when they go to the country. Otherwise they take the transit or walk. Most people live within walking distance of groceries and the essentials. The option is to move elsewhere. That is why so many people live in subdivisions outside the main city core and take the transit into the city to work. You don't see many private vehicles in downtown New York. Los Angeles is a nutcase of highways and over passes, but totally bogs down once you get into the city.

The problem with Thailand is the city grew without the infrastructure set up to accommodate private vehicles. There are not the parkades that American cities have grown up with. Why complain about the obvious? Live with it or move to somewhere that suits your life style. That is why I like Chiang Mai.

Seems strange to me that whilst you sit highly perched in your car, farang hi-so, you only pass comment on the uneducated motorcyclist....havent you noticed that the car drivers are just as bad?

You could always rack off back to ur home country, no doubt its so much better there. :)

Yes, neverdie has a point here.

Bangkok has been renowned for it`s traffic chaos since the beginning of time.

The OP should have known this prior to moving to Bangkok.

No point in complaining and expecting everything to change, because it wont.

Perhaps the grass is greener and the roads are clearer in the OPs home country.

Wow, I'm shocked that one of the largest cities in the world gets traffic jams! Thanks for the advice on not buying a car if I live in Bangkok.

Actually, I suspect you are simply venting after spending a long hot drive going no where. Most people who live in Bangkok are aware of the traffic jams and plan to use alternate routes or times. The only time I've driven on Sukhumvit was to get to my hotel to drop of my rental car. The traffic sucked. I knew it would before I rented the car, but it would have been just as bad in a taxi, but at least in the rental car I control the A/C and radio.

Too many taxis, I would think that would be a good thing, if one is to promote less cars on the roads....
So taxis are no cars then ? :)

Tuk tuks, mortorcycle taxis and yes car taxis, all forms of hired transportation type vehicles

I like the ability to find taxis in a failry rapid manner. I certainly do not like how Singaproe manages taxi service.

Let me see, i will talk to PM to change the law so you can enjoy your car :)

Edited by givenall

Those Thai people have more money than you. (and me ) Perhaps some relatives work in Pattaya and say: mai mee satang !!! Can you help me PLEASE !

In Pattaya is now impossible to drive. Nearly all time everything is full full full very full. The Thai people I know do have one or two cars and several motorbikes.

Edited by prinzregent

Nah, best thing is to limit the taxis too. You want people in buses and on BTS/MRT.

I am leaning towards getting a driver, as that seems the only reasonable solution.

You should sell your car if unable to deal with traffic and parking situation.

Cars and yearly registration taxes are way too affordable. Without draconian increases (which is what I usually suggest), sure a happy medium can be found where the prices went up just enough to keep traffic under control. Keep the car makers, banks, and large numbers of the citizens happy.

And not as an end all solution by any means, but as one measure of many to solve the problem at hand.

So, you're going to pay expenses for a car and pay a driver on top of that? No way would I have a car in Bangkok without having a driver. Trying to find a place to park is way too irritating for me. Unless you want to impress people and waste money, why would you want a car? Taxis are cheap. The Sky Train and Subway are faster than a taxi depending on where you are going. Living outside the city and the occasional trip into Bangkok convinces me that a car is just a major aggravation.

I live in the central business district of Bangkok and rarely drive in the city. Certainly a vehicle is useful whether or not you live in BKK. For me the list goes:

Cons

1) Parking is a pain in the city

2) Traffic is horrendous, particularly during rush hour

3) The purchase price was a bit high compared with back home

Pros

1) Handy for a move

2) Easy to roll out of town on the weekends without having to lug bags out to the soi, then to bus/train station

3) Nearest place to catch a taxi is about a 200 meter walk out of the Moo Baan

4) More transportation options for emergency situations

5) Vehicle retains higher value due to low mileage because of limited use

6) Handy when making large purchases, grocery shopping, or when moving something too big for a taxi

7) Can easily visit any part of Thailand and comfortably explore areas off the beaten track

8) Maintenance, repairs, taxes, and insurance costs are low

Edited by way2muchcoffee

Everyone will have different results, but a costs/benefits analysis will usually give you the correct answer. It's a basic HR issue, if you can't get more out of your employees than what you're paying them, one should question whether having that employee is useful or not. If a top tier CEO pays someone a few hundred Baht a day to clean his house, the alternative might be his company losing hundreds of millions per day if he stayed home and did it all himself, so it's an easy decision to make. For some it'll be somewhat similar, for others, less so.

For me, taxis are perfect for some things, getting dropped off where you don't want anyone to know where you're going (hence the driver would stay home or 'take me to Central' and then I take a taxi to my regular massage parlour'). Sure, I can take my own car, but if it's an area where your acquaintences will recognize your car or your license plate number... it's a no go. Otherwise, for payroll day, vaccine day for your kids, taking my grandparents out on the town, middle of the night activities, etc. etc.? No way.

Everyone will have different results, but a costs/benefits analysis will usually give you the correct answer. It's a basic HR issue, if you can't get more out of your employees than what you're paying them, one should question whether having that employee is useful or not. If a top tier CEO pays someone a few hundred Baht a day to clean his house, the alternative might be his company losing hundreds of millions per day if he stayed home and did it all himself, so it's an easy decision to make. For some it'll be somewhat similar, for others, less so.

For me, taxis are perfect for some things, getting dropped off where you don't want anyone to know where you're going (hence the driver would stay home or 'take me to Central' and then I take a taxi to my regular massage parlour'). Sure, I can take my own car, but if it's an area where your acquaintences will recognize your car or your license plate number... it's a no go. Otherwise, for payroll day, vaccine day for your kids, taking my grandparents out on the town, middle of the night activities, etc. etc.? No way.

:D

Why would anyone specifically recognise your vehicle - I thought all Tuk tuk's looked alike... :)

:D

Why would anyone specifically recognise your vehicle - I thought all Tuk tuk's looked alike... :D

Perhaps, before customization.

Seriously though, I'm talking about family and friends, not people in general, as my cars aren't unique other than perhaps the license plate numbers (and most family members use similar numbers... three in a row and then changing the last digit).

Edited by Heng