Don't Buy A Car If You Live In Bangkok

dondraper

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

how do you prevent the driver's use of aircon in car while waiting for you?

Orders. Much less, there isn't even unauthorized battery (no music, no television, no interior lights) use while I'm not in the car. Not even allowed to sit/lie down on any other seat other than the driver's seat. Checked by periodically walking to my car instead of calling for him to return to wherever I was dropped off. Also keep a mileage log although I've never heard of a driver joy riding except in a few cases where a car was also part of a property caretaker's care as well and the owner visited said property only a few times a year.

Whatever he gets away with outside of those relatively hassle free checks is not a big deal to me.

:)

*should also add that the employer-employee relationship is going to be different for any situation where the employee feels he is employed by a family and perhaps extended family as opposed to one person. If someone feels like he might get caught out by any aunt, uncle, brother, sister, friend of the family, or even the family's 2 year old saying 'Somchai chai air,' and risk getting fired, he's less likely to do so.

Edited by Heng

Seems strange to me that whilst you sit highly perched in your car, farang hi-so, you only pass comment on the uneducated motorcyclist....havent you noticed that the car drivers are just as bad?

You could always rack off back to ur home country, no doubt its so much better there. :)

I would say Thai's can ride bikes better than anyone else, as for driving cars thou I'm not so sure!

Went to the Transportation Museum in London a few years ago. The average speed of horse drawn transportation in its day was 12 miles per hour the average speed in these modern times is 12 miles per hour. The more it changes the more it stays the same.

I drive in Bkk most days and just plan my moves between rush hour and use the expressways. I have an in car video camera to record all the action in case of an accident and inevitable, 'farang is wrong'. It cost about $50 dollars and has saved me loads in possible fines or stitch-ups.

A dash cam for $50?? What a deal. Great idea.

I suspect that many sleep in the taxi. Its a minimum wage job

They clear 500-1000 a day.

if they are selling yaabaa on the side perhaps.

The daily rent is 500-800 baht, daily gas expenses about 300 baht, and their daily income safely covers that all. There wouldn't be thousands of them if they couldn't all make a living.

Some are seasonal Isanese farmers, it's tougher for them, but many own their taxis - pay monthly bills, maintanance, repairs, insurance etc.

6,500 Baht a month for our driver. Room is included (one of our concrete block apartments; 2-3k a month value), some board (access to employee canteen for take home -in a plastic bag- grub). Nothing for overtime, no official days off, although I don't really keep too many odd hours anymore nor do I do more than about 10 hours on the road per week. The rest is all waiting or on call time, I don't differentiate between the two, as IMO it's an easy job.

Definitely beats driving oneself (not including driving for fun... rallies, etc.), always arrive fresh and in mint condition.

I would hire a driver in a shot at that price, but since I drive a Honda city it might look a bit odd.. better cut the Mia nois salary and save for a BMW.

It's not the look that's valuable, it's the convenience (and in my case, with kids at home, I get more work done that way), mine is a 10 year old Granvia. I know some friends who are entry level VP's at PTT and they have them running around in Soluna's and Altis's, with driver. It's convenient and great savings on gasoline.

Bangkok has been renowned for it`s traffic chaos since the beginning of time.

The OP should have known this prior to moving to Bangkok.

No point in complaining and expecting everything to change, because it wont.

I remember a certain Police Lt. Col, now a globetrotting fugitive from the law, boasting circa 1998 that he would take care of the problem.

On my left hand, I have a watch. It tells me when it is time to go home. On my right hand, I have a taxi. It takes me there. What would I do with a car?

SC

I suppose I could put it on bricks and fantasise about living in skelmersdale

I have a car in Bangkok and would hate it if I didnt have one.

I can find parking where ever I go. Never a problem, Bangkok driving can be a littl crazy, but when you learn how they drive, then its not that bad.

Peak hour is a bitch though, I always try to aviod it. But even if I do get caught in it, I know alot of back roads now which makes life a lot better.

Also I have installed a new stereo with a 7 inch screen, I can atlease watch movies or film clips if I do get caught in heavy peak hour traffic. Makes it a lot better

6,500 Baht a month for our driver. Room is included (one of our concrete block apartments; 2-3k a month value), some board (access to employee canteen for take home -in a plastic bag- grub). Nothing for overtime, no official days off, although I don't really keep too many odd hours anymore nor do I do more than about 10 hours on the road per week. The rest is all waiting or on call time, I don't differentiate between the two, as IMO it's an easy job.

Definitely beats driving oneself (not including driving for fun... rallies, etc.), always arrive fresh and in mint condition.

I would hire a driver in a shot at that price, but since I drive a Honda city it might look a bit odd.. better cut the Mia nois salary and save for a BMW.

I have seen plenty of Hondas and Toyotas with a driver. I don't think having a driver ever looks bad.

From my observations in Pattaya most traffic jams are created by people with little or no road sense and a cavalier attitude to motoring law. All it needs for a traffic holdup to occur is for two Thais, one with a hoop, the other on roller skates, to contend for the same road space. Hatched areas and double yellows are largely ignored.

For some time I have tried to solve the conundrum that the natives have endless patience dealing with the inefficiences of Government and Amphur offices yet have none when using the roads. It seems that many ex-pats eventually succumb to local practices and join in in creating the mayhem.

When I'm driving myself, I do my part *educating* folks -local and foreigners- as to how they shouldn't cross double "no passing" lines and how it's really dangerous NOT to cross at the zebra stripes. I don't care if you have to walk 3 km out of your way to get to next set of stripes.

From my observations in Pattaya most traffic jams are created by people with little or no road sense and a cavalier attitude to motoring law. All it needs for a traffic holdup to occur is for two Thais, one with a hoop, the other on roller skates, to contend for the same road space. Hatched areas and double yellows are largely ignored.

For some time I have tried to solve the conundrum that the natives have endless patience dealing with the inefficiences of Government and Amphur offices yet have none when using the roads. It seems that many ex-pats eventually succumb to local practices and join in in creating the mayhem.

yep, I am in with the mayhem causing group now.

I am bugged sometimes when someone is trying to cut into another lane and holding up traffic for 800meters behind him. But then Thai people never toot or seem to get angry so sometimes I am the one holding up the traffic. It is give and take here.

I'm still working on not feeling slighted when a maniac bears down on me in the fast lane on the expressway(and I drive fast) and sits 15cm behind my taillight until I move over- but then again why worry- the Thais don't.

I'm still working on not feeling slighted when a maniac bears down on me in the fast lane on the expressway(and I drive fast) and sits 15cm behind my taillight until I move over- but then again why worry- the Thais don't.

Nothing to work on there. If someone is in a bigger hurry than you, move over momentarily and let them pass. Problem solved.

Yes, YOU should not buy a car......that will make more space for me to drive on!

Driving in Bangkok is fun and you just have to plan your trip. Don't drive to any shopping centers during the weekend or right after pay-day.

Having a car you get to different part of the town than you do using BTS and taxis.

Just my 2 cents.

Yes, YOU should not buy a car......that will make more space for me to drive on!

Driving in Bangkok is fun and you just have to plan your trip. Don't drive to any shopping centers during the weekend or right after pay-day.

Having a car you get to different part of the town than you do using BTS and taxis.

Just my 2 cents.

tell me, how does your car get me to different places than where i can get in a taxi?

You can get anywhere you want in taxis. It's just that sometimes you have to wait out in the rain for one, sometimes right from the start of your trip if your home or condo doesn't have a covered garage or car port. You'll occasionally have to deal with situations where there aren't too many taxis around, they are all being filled to the point where you have to kind of compete for one (this is particularly amusing in the middle of a thunderstorm/flash flood when there are plenty of folks driving/zipping by splashing street water everywhere), and times when they are between shifts ('sorry, got to turn the car in.' ~ translated)

The upside is that you don't have to park it yourself anywhere, nor do you have to worry when to bring it into the dealership for maintainance.

It's not the look that's valuable, it's the convenience (and in my case, with kids at home, I get more work done that way), mine is a 10 year old Granvia. I know some friends who are entry level VP's at PTT and they have them running around in Soluna's and Altis's, with driver. It's convenient and great savings on gasoline.

Do you happen to know anyone available? Doesn't need any English as my thai is pretty good.

I don't want someone live in, and only has to work 5 days a week.

tell me, how does your car get me to different places than where i can get in a taxi?

If you are interested in seriously dating someone from a non-squatting background, an automobile is unavoidable.

hmm, really. i will keep that in mind for my next hi-so wife.

Up to you. I know many of the older guys are happy with the Isaan girl + Village + 150 baht copy t-shirts + boozing Thai whiskey at 9 am. I don't think that there is necessarily anything wrong with that.

Edited by dondraper

Do you happen to know anyone available? Doesn't need any English as my thai is pretty good.

I don't want someone live in, and only has to work 5 days a week.

More than a few, but probably better to do the head hunting/screening yourself. I don't even recommend used appliances to acquaintences, much less folks who are going to be employees and can be far more troublesome.

:D