Don't Buy A Car If You Live In Bangkok

dondraper

Everyone will have different results, but a costs/benefits analysis will usually give you the correct answer. It's a basic HR issue, if you can't get more out of your employees than what you're paying them, one should question whether having that employee is useful or not. If a top tier CEO pays someone a few hundred Baht a day to clean his house, the alternative might be his company losing hundreds of millions per day if he stayed home and did it all himself, so it's an easy decision to make. For some it'll be somewhat similar, for others, less so.

For me, taxis are perfect for some things, getting dropped off where you don't want anyone to know where you're going (hence the driver would stay home or 'take me to Central' and then I take a taxi to my regular massage parlour'). Sure, I can take my own car, but if it's an area where your acquaintences will recognize your car or your license plate number... it's a no go. Otherwise, for payroll day, vaccine day for your kids, taking my grandparents out on the town, middle of the night activities, etc. etc.? No way.

:D

Why would anyone specifically recognise your vehicle - I thought all Tuk tuk's looked alike... :D

Perhaps, before customization.

Seriously though, I'm talking about family and friends, not people in general, as my cars aren't unique other than perhaps the license plate numbers (and most family members use similar numbers... three in a row and then changing the last digit).

:)

post-39032-1248594023_thumb.jpg

We know who you are! :D

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Everyone will have different results, but a costs/benefits analysis will usually give you the correct answer. It's a basic HR issue, if you can't get more out of your employees than what you're paying them, one should question whether having that employee is useful or not. If a top tier CEO pays someone a few hundred Baht a day to clean his house, the alternative might be his company losing hundreds of millions per day if he stayed home and did it all himself, so it's an easy decision to make. For some it'll be somewhat similar, for others, less so.

For me, taxis are perfect for some things, getting dropped off where you don't want anyone to know where you're going (hence the driver would stay home or 'take me to Central' and then I take a taxi to my regular massage parlour'). Sure, I can take my own car, but if it's an area where your acquaintences will recognize your car or your license plate number... it's a no go. Otherwise, for payroll day, vaccine day for your kids, taking my grandparents out on the town, middle of the night activities, etc. etc.? No way.

Why would anyone specifically recognise your vehicle - I thought all Tuk tuk's looked alike... :D

Perhaps, before customization.

Seriously though, I'm talking about family and friends, not people in general, as my cars aren't unique other than perhaps the license plate numbers (and most family members use similar numbers... three in a row and then changing the last digit).

post-39032-1248594023_thumb.jpg

We know who you are! :D

Yeah you know, gotta pay the bills somehow.

We have no problem. We have a driver who is a twin sister of my maid. I tell her in advance where I have an appointment and at what time. She always give me a reasonable estimate, and advise me what time to make a move. Parking problem? She just take care of it after dropping me off.

Parking problem? She just take care of it after dropping me off.

That's the convenience of it. It's also a non-issue for the driver since they don't have to park somewhere close to the doors. In fact for places without driver waiting rooms, it's beneficial for them to park as far away as possible so the air is more breathable. Finding a parking spot is easy.

As for the costs... works out to about $6.30 a day. Hardly wasteful.

Bad driving r traffic isn't unique to Thailand.

I drive in Bkk most days and just plan my moves between rush hour and use the expressways. I have an in car video camera to record all the action in case of an accident and inevitable, 'farang is wrong'. It cost about $50 dollars and has saved me loads in possible fines or stitch-ups.

The cops usually accept my story without even reviewing the footage. So no more false speeding fines, crossing the solid white lines etc, and the camera turns to point at my side window when I chat to the cop. My wife asks them to smile for the camera. Amazing how shy they are.

cops always ask where you are going, despite the irrelevance of the answer. I now tell them 'to the hospital as i have flu symptoms' again they are more than happy to wave me on after taking a massive step backwards.

I enjoy driving in Bangkok as there is a quality of satisfaction in surviving the mayhem

:) I like this !

A VDO Camera pointing to the Drivers Side Window. I think I should get one for my Car also, but until now the GPS Blackbox in my car is doing a good work as well. If I got stoped for Speeding, I just point to the GPS Antenna and tell them that I can show them "NOW" on my PDA Phone that I was not speeding.

My Suggestion for solving the Traffic Problem would be:

1. There should be a law which prevents the Parents to bring their Kids to school by own cars. Did some of you recognize that there is much less traffic if the schools are closed?
  2. The old cars should be removed from road. Within 3 years my car got 4 times hit from some old Taxis in the Back. :D Unfortunately there is a 25 KG Steel Bumper protecting the back of my car. 3 of the 4 Taxis was no more able to drive.

I tried out a friend of the maid today and he kept looking at me in the mirror. Is it that hard to avoid eye contact with your employer? Personally, I think a driver should be like a robot and should never express any form of emotion or human characteristics besides driving.

Edited by dondraper

So, you're going to pay expenses for a car and pay a driver on top of that? No way would I have a car in Bangkok without having a driver. Trying to find a place to park is way too irritating for me. Unless you want to impress people and waste money, why would you want a car? Taxis are cheap. The Sky Train and Subway are faster than a taxi depending on where you are going. Living outside the city and the occasional trip into Bangkok convinces me that a car is just a major aggravation.

With a child on the way, one really feels less and less happy about getting into the backseat and hoping that Mr. Roi Et has slept it off from the night before, or, looking into the future, how terribly embarrassing it would be to have to flag down a taxi outside of an 400- 700,000 baht a year International school holding your exhausted child's science project when all she wants to do is to kick back in an air conditioned, insured automobile with working side air bags and drink a juice box.

Edited by dondraper

I know two drivers who have dropped there bosses in the crap by telling there wifes where they go!

IMO when looking at cost effectiveness alone buying a car in Bangkok doesn’t seem to make much sense. But then neither does going to a nice restaurant instead of the cheaper alternatives on offer.

There is something to be said for the quality of life a person chooses and these decisions are dynamic and very personal.

I would not want to live here without a car.

Is having a car a status symbol? I think so, otherwise everyone would all be driving around in Honda’s, Toyota’s or family vans.

Is having a car convenient? I think so for the majority of the time, but this also depends on time of travel and location.

Forgetting about the costs for a moment. A taxi is no alternative to the ease of having a car and driver and when I have a family here I'll consider having a driver a useful cost vs convenience balance.

The BTS’s offer some convenience within central Bangkok but often a taxi is also required, so I find the BTS convenient only at certain times when going to locations along the route.

Although I am lucky and get decent taxi drivers most of the time, my most common thoughts before flagging a taxi down is, will I get a ‘good one’ or a ‘bad one’ and I’ve had enough bad drivers to make the decision to have a car based on ‘quality of life’ worth it.

-------

As far as 4x4’s are concerned, I think there is enough reason to own one in a city like Bangkok.

Firstly the Roads are quite often rather poor – although its not off-roading, so maybe a weak justification here.

Secondly but most importantly from my point of view is the physiological aspect. For what are stereotypically known as a very happly and caring People when in a car Thai’s or more specifically Bankokians are rather aggressive and there is remains some sort of law of the jungle mentality where the bigger car gets priority (and no, I don't over-assert myself in a fortuner ! Sorry fortuner drivers, that discussion is for another thread. It just appears to me that about 25-50% of the fortuners on the road are driven in a rather over assertive to aggressive manner).

To illustrate the my point where a 4x4 seems to suit a city like Bangkok: In Bangkok I have owned a large 4x4 and a smaller sports car at the same time driving them alternatively or when I felt like driving the other (I just like cars). When driving the smaller of the two cars I was amazed at the increased frequency in which I was cut up, had near misses, was blocked and not given way to. Driving the larger 4x4 is a simpler and more relaxing affair and the sports car was sold as I found myself using it less and less.

To illustrate the my point where a 4x4 seems to suit a city like Bangkok: In Bangkok I have owned a large 4x4 and a smaller sports car at the same time driving them alternatively or when I felt like driving the other (I just like cars). When driving the smaller of the two cars I was amazed at the increased frequency in which I was cut up, had near misses, was blocked and not given way to. Driving the larger 4x4 is a simpler and more relaxing affair and the sports car was sold as I found myself using it less and less.

I have heard that said before and have also felt it myself by driving in my old car (civic) and then the new one (accord) its much more relaxing to drive the accord. I cant afford a 4x4 but if I could I would get one and not a bl--dy fortuner.

those kids will be doing lines of coke by their 13th birthday. a juice box and side air bags is where i draw the line.

No more than prep school kids anywhere else, and they end up running their respective industries and in some cases the entire country just the same.

I know two drivers who have dropped there bosses in the crap by telling there wifes where they go!

Yeah, that's why it's important to remember that your driver is not your friend, he's your employee. Hence... bank, airport, shopping centers, tennis. There can be a few exceptions though where it's a non-suspicious visit though (to collect a debt, share meeting, etc.), and who's to say how long a meeting should be?

Edited by Heng

I live in the central business district of Bangkok and rarely drive in the city. Certainly a vehicle is useful whether or not you live in BKK. For me the list goes:

Cons

1) Parking is a pain in the city

2) Traffic is horrendous, particularly during rush hour

Parking is one of the joys of bangkok- every major building has parking and they charge almost nothing-, and it is fairly easy to avoid traffic unless for some reason you decide to drive down ratchaipisek or sukumvit during rush hour. But why would you?

I note the OP’s rant seemed to be specifically about lower Sukhumivt. I agree, if all I did was travel up down it, I would not own a car. Unfortunately, there is about another 1,500 square km that make up the rest of Bangkok and to get around that easily, you need a car. Even taxis, as discussed already, can be a pain, and I won’t even talk about the bus system or the songtoews.

Also, to me, a driver is almost essential due to things like parking and not having to stress in jams or finding a new location.

Best words here are remember your driver is an employee and not your friend. Also, he should not be looking at you in the mirror.

TH

Different strokes for different folks. If you can afford a car, go ahead, buy one, knock yourself out. I just do not see the point in BKK. Expensive to buy, and to maintain. No place to park, and perpetual traffic jams. I think you would spend more on gas than you would on Taxis. If you really want to go someplace quickly, really the skytrain is the fastest means to go. All I need is a motorcycle for those times when I don't want to wait around for a taxi.

Different strokes for different folks. If you can afford a car, go ahead, buy one, knock yourself out. I just do not see the point in BKK. Expensive to buy, and to maintain. No place to park, and perpetual traffic jams. I think you would spend more on gas than you would on Taxis. If you really want to go someplace quickly, really the skytrain is the fastest means to go. All I need is a motorcycle for those times when I don't want to wait around for a taxi.

For going on 10 years, I have managed perfectly well without one. On those rare weekends that I want to go the beach etc, I rent one or better yet get a personal driver with a nice new camry to take me to Pats for 1100 baht.

For me, it's all about the time issue. From my house up Sukhumvit, with a two minute bike ride to the bts, I am at my office in less than 20 mins. I leave the house at 8am and in the office before 830. Going home is the same. By car.....

If I lived upcountry would be different story but I don't. To each their own.

pimping out the back of a van is interesting. something like this http://one2car.com/CarInfor/cardetails.asp...90354&row=2 is not bad, but still does not look all that comfortable... I would want:

-Mini Fridge

-30inch LCD + DVD + Gaming Console

-Windows Tinted

-Front Driver Section Completely blocked off with some sort of intercom system for communication.

-Airplane-esque lap tray for a notebook/plate of food.

-comfortable seating for 3 people.

-something to prevent the driver from enjoying said facilities and air condition while waiting for us.

Edited by dondraper

I can't be arsed to properly organise mine random thoughts, sorry..

I hardly ever drive to Sukhumwit or, god forbid, Sathorn.

As someone mentioned, there are other 1,500 sq km that are not covered by BTS/MRT, worth visiting, too.

Someone said we should encourage people to use BTS. I disagree. I think they should start campaign to discourage its use - there are too many people there, it's always crouded and it's impossible to get a seat. Sounds illogical, but so is the argument that if we have traffic jams, we should limit use of cars.

How about - my shop gets too many customers. Maybe I should let only those with odd numbers in on M-W-F and even number on Tue-Thu-Sat?

Also - what is it with people enjoying their lives while others have to stand on a bus? Everybody should be equally poor and suffer equally.

>>>

Bangkok has five times less road surface than comparable cities world-wide - usually it's 20%, in Bangkok it's only 4%.

There's nothing that could be done in downtown areas, but, as the city spreads out, more and more roads are built and widened to four-six lanes. It's not too bad out there, in the suburbs. There are shopping malls, too, with free parking and MacDonalds and everything.

>>>

Ever wondered why there are so many taxis around? Are they all in the business of losing money? Do they get their taxis as gifts from Thaksin and they run them for free, living off their wives income? Paying taxi fair covers not only the car and daily gas, but also the driver and his family.

Today I had to leave my car at Honda until monday to have the front Bumper sorted out :D so I will not have a car for 3 whole days :) I will have to use taxis and BTS and am not looking forward to it. its a long walk to find a taxi from my house and hot as well.

I would much rather sit in a traffic jam with aircon, my music and a nice Starbucks coffee then jossle around on the skytrain or wait for a taxi in the heat who normally ends up telling me his shift is up so he cant take me anywhere which happens often at the time I finish work in Silom.

A car in Bangkok is like a mobile phone, once you have one you cant live without it. cant find a parking space is bull! there is parking everywhere and most of the time for free. try that in Europe.

"Also - what is it with people enjoying their lives while others have to stand on a bus? Everybody should be equally poor and suffer equally."

Communism does not work.

"Paying taxi fair covers not only the car and daily gas, but also the driver and his family."

I suspect that many sleep in the taxi. Its a minimum wage job that anyone can do, that is why its so popular. Its so easy to get a taxi because there are way to many of them on the roads. There are so many of them on the roads because automobile maintenance and fees is incredibly inexpensive in this country. How many times have you gotten in a taxi that is a complete junker?

Spent over Bt12m on my car, got a driver at Bt22k a month, and still feel tired and uncomfortable being driven to work.

22k a month for a driver seems a bit expensive, no?

over time mounts up fast. two or three nights a week of the driver waiting outside pubs or clubs and restaurants to take you home at 1am soon makes it ad up.

Spent over Bt12m on my car, got a driver at Bt22k a month, and still feel tired and uncomfortable being driven to work.

I guess the 12 million baht car is a 5 liter S class Merc.

am I right?

I took a look at one the other day, very nice. I wish I could afford one.

6,500 Baht a month for our driver. Room is included (one of our concrete block apartments; 2-3k a month value), some board (access to employee canteen for take home -in a plastic bag- grub). Nothing for overtime, no official days off, although I don't really keep too many odd hours anymore nor do I do more than about 10 hours on the road per week. The rest is all waiting or on call time, I don't differentiate between the two, as IMO it's an easy job.

Definitely beats driving oneself (not including driving for fun... rallies, etc.), always arrive fresh and in mint condition.

Edited by Heng