Wifes Niece..problem

Hi all,

just after a bit of advice concerning my wifes neice who is almost 4 years old... She has been abandoned by both her mother and father and left to live with my wifes mother who is almost 50 years old and is having to take the baby to work on the family farm and tuk tuk business. Im not green to this situation as ive seen alot of it whilst living in Thailand before, but i cant help feeling that this little girl deserves better (after all its not her fault)

Soooo my question, what are the complications for her to come over here...with both parents consent..and live with my wife and i?

Anybody have any previous experiance with this?

Thanks for any answers

Dean

Hi all,

just after a bit of advice concerning my wifes neice who is almost 4 years old... She has been abandoned by both her mother and father and left to live with my wifes mother who is almost 50 years old and is having to take the baby to work on the family farm and tuk tuk business. Im not green to this situation as ive seen alot of it whilst living in Thailand before, but i cant help feeling that this little girl deserves better (after all its not her fault)

Soooo my question, what are the complications for her to come over here...with both parents consent..and live with my wife and i?

Anybody have any previous experiance with this?

Thanks for any answers

Dean

Just a hunch, but this situation sounds as if it could be terribly complicated. Red tape, policies, and politics - the works.

To qualify as a dependant relative there must be no other relative in Thailand who can provide support for the child.

Her parents are still alive, and from what you have said contactable, and she is currently in the care of her 50 year old grandmother. Difficult to prove this point.

You could adopt her, but even then things will be difficult. From SET07 - Children

SET7.18 How do adopted children qualify for settlement?

SET7.18. 1 Adoption is a complex subject. The ECO should always bear in mind that the child's welfare is paramount. The ECO must be satisfied that the child is not being trafficked to the UK. This is to meet the UK's obligations under the Council of Europe Agreement on action against human trafficking.

In the case of UK-based adopters hoping to adopt a child which has been given or 'gifted' to them by relatives abroad, there is very little chance of them being able to bring the child into the UK. The UK's international obligations prevent any acceptance of such practices. Even if a foreign adoption has been completed, the requirements of the Immigration Rules will prevent an entry clearance being issued to such a child.

The Adoption and Children Act 2002 (which came into effect on 1 June 2003) makes it a mandatory (but not a retrospective) requirement for ALL prospective adoptive parents to have undergone a Home Study Report by their local Social Services into their suitability to become adopters. See AECIP 118/07. The Adoptions with a Foreign Element Regulations 2005 created the requirement for overseas adopters to have a Home Study and set the penalties for non-compliance.

As you can see, this is a complex subject. If you are serious about pursuing this then I strongly advise you to seek the advice of a qualified professional in the UK; i.e. a solicitor experienced in immigration law or an OISC registered adviser.

Be wary of using an agent in Thailand. Most of these are unqualified and will not have the knowledge or experience to deal with a complicated case such as this; wont stop them taking your money, though!

I am surprised to here that it could be so complicated to do this. I would of thought that if you went to Thailand for a time and adopted the child then got her a passport in her new family name that you should have any problem. After all she would then be your child and she or he would surely be able to come with you. :)

I am surprised to here that it could be so complicated to do this. I would of thought that if you went to Thailand for a time and adopted the child then got her a passport in her new family name that you should have any problem. After all she would then be your child and she or he would surely be able to come with you. :)

yer i wonder about this one maybe one rule for one and another for sombody else,

what im getting at is HOW DOES THIS SINGER ARTIST maddona actually adopt babies from africa and then brings them to the uk and she does it.

ummmmmmm maybe a bit of tea money ,eh