Can Thailand & Visitors Benefit From Travel-less Visas?

I couldn't find the answer to this. Other countries have visitors check in & pay fees instead of making people travel & spend money in foreign countries for hotel, food, transport etc. so why doesn't thailand charge big fees (equivalent or less than what the travel would cost) instead. That way thailand pockets the money, it's easier for travelers & thailand still gets to keep out the rif-raf or whoever they are worried about staying in thailand by making the fees expensive according to time & purpose in the country.

any idea?

I understand the rules but I don't understand the concept

put another way, I don't understand any country wanting you to leave & go spend money in another country to qualify for staying longer. Why not qualify you every month or 6 months at an immigration office & charge a big fee instead of instead of giving it all away to travel companies & other countries & making it a big hassle for those that are adding to your economy in the 1st place?

• 2 weeks later...

Have to think using Thai logic ... the system you find so bizzare (and in some ways it is) supports whole a industry of visa running agencies - provides employment for immigration posts and ensures Johnny foriegner remembers that his/her time in Thailand remains that of an (insecure) guest.

• 2 weeks later...
Have to think using Thai logic ... the system you find so bizzare (and in some ways it is) supports whole a industry of visa running agencies - provides employment for immigration posts and ensures Johnny foriegner remembers that his/her time in Thailand remains that of an (insecure) guest.

I was using Thai logic - my system is easier for foreigners & puts more money in the hands of many officials & I would think their desires would be more important than the bosses of the visa running agencies - I wish I could get an answer from somebody on the inside that really knows