Windows Xp Pro License

niller74

About 3 years ago I bought a Sony VAIO at Siam TV here in Chiangmai. It came with Windows XP Pro pre installed and a Microsoft sticker at the bottom of the computer which appear to be genue. Now after a long time and running other OSes he want to pass the computer on to a family member that prefer XP, so I decide to install XP.

Unfortunately when I do install XP, I am told that the key is invalid.

What should I do? Contact Siam TV, Microsoft or just forget about it?

I have attached a picture of the sticker. The key and other numbers are blurred for obvious reasons.

Thanks

post-64251-1248598365_thumb.jpg

Do you have the correct version of windows? I have a PC here with a sticker like the one you have, haven't tried real hard but I am yet to get the correct XP disc to install it. Pro is not the same as corporate, perhaps if you go back to the original supplier they can help with a disc with the correct version.

About 3 years ago I bought a Sony VAIO at Siam TV here in Chiangmai. It came with Windows XP Pro pre installed and a Microsoft sticker at the bottom of the computer which appear to be genue. Now after a long time and running other OSes he want to pass the computer on to a family member that prefer XP, so I decide to install XP.

I have attached a picture of the sticker. The key and other numbers are blurred for obvious reasons.

Thanks

Not sure, but the license may only be suitable for the Sony branded XP install and if you are using a generic XP disk that may be the problem

About 5 years ago I bought an HP desktop with Windows XP Home edition pre-installed. A couple of years later I had a major meltdown and since it was out of warranty I took it to a computer shop in my neighborhood. I have no idea what they did, and I got it back with all my data and what sure looked like the same Windows XP Home edition, but it would no longer pass the Windows WGA test after that. I emailed to HP and got a reply asking for the details like the serial number, where and when I bought it, etc. which I answered. They told me to try it again in a few days, which I did, and it passed the WGA test and has continued to pass ever since.

AFAIK, regardless of any stickers, if the OS was in fact installed by Sony then I do believe they are the ones responsible for making sure that MS recognizes it as legal.

It was this incident, and a few before that, that convinced me that I had better learn about computers myself and not depend on any shop to fix anything for me.

Most of the license, which come with a computer are OEM license's, and most CD's bought from locations as Panthip need a Corporation license key.

This means if you loss the CD/DVD which came with your notebook, some notebooks come even without, as they have a option to build a install CD, or not even that... If something go's wrong and your are forced to reinstall Windows you going into a situation of problems.

Thanks

This is an original Windows XP Pro. NOT SP1 or SP2. You need the SAME VERSION INSTALLATION CD.

An original pre Service Pack 1 key will be invalid if you try to use a later version installation CD such as SP2. Only the correct version CD will work.

Also you must use the correct language as a International number will not work with a specific language CD ie French, German, Swedish etc.

If this is confusing don't worry as the Microsoft support staff cannot understand it either.

SOLUTION

1. Install using a FAKE number but do not use anything to bypass the VALIDATION

2. Validate via a TELEPHONE call to Microsoft and input garbage to be passed to support staff

3. Tell them you used a FAKE number because your real number would not work

4. They WILL provide a Authorization Code for you

5. Feel free to complain about their inability to use the install code on what is really the same product as you are allowed to use.

Dont waste your time - install & enjoy - M$ has stopped supporting XP & dont care anymore. 99% of XP is illegal.

Dont do any O/S updates, AV only.

Bubba

Really?

Still get updates.

However, any version of Windows XP with the right license code can be installed.

But then you need the specific drivers for the notebook.

Downloadable from the Sony/Vaio website.

Do this all the time with notebooks with Vista as OS.

The preloaded OS on computers without a cd with the OS is a wrong sign of the time.

I had quite a fight with Acer in NL about this about a computer bought in Holland.

They wanted to charge me € 63 for the CD plus € 18 P&P.

End of the line, there seems to be a EU decision that any computer delivered in the EU with a preloaded OS is eligable for a free CD, excluding P&P.

Got the OS -cd free.

licenses for "pro" version are good for windows xp alone, with sp1, sp2 or sp3.

they're not specific to the intergrated version cd they come with.

100% accurate statement but has some missing information.

The number supplied by Microsoft will only work with the version it was issued. You are entitled to use which Service Pack release you want with a valid number but you CANNOT Install a SP3 CD with a SP1 number for example.

Nothing to do with EULA agreements or legal reasons just a major ballsup from MS.

Hmm, are you sure ?

I mean I get iso's from Microsoft with SP's included but the key never changes. Slipstreaming services packs is a normal practice and I have yet to hear that the original key wouldn't work on the slipstreamed installation CD.

Of course using a corporate key on a retail version will not work, (and the other way around) this is most likely the problem here.

Get sony to send you a original OEM cd and all should be fine. Unless the sticker has been tampered with, and it is indeed an invalid key.

Edited by sjaak327

100% accurate statement but has some missing information.

The number supplied by Microsoft will only work with the version it was issued. You are entitled to use which Service Pack release you want with a valid number but you CANNOT Install a SP3 CD with a SP1 number for example.

Nothing to do with EULA agreements or legal reasons just a major ballsup from MS.

i'm using the same old serial from 2002 for my french windows Xp and i've been doing automated install swell as SPx slip streaming on the cd and Xp never complained of my serial.

i also never had to use a crack or been detected by windows update as a copy.