Atm Probs In Thailand

Hi All,

I have an Abbey UK bank acct and have an esaver cash card (Cirrus) and a multi-function card (Visa Debit card) both cards have always worked in Bangkok from the ATM machines here but over the last 2/3 days my cash card has not worked (I make sure i use a cirrus logo machine) I have tried many different banks and have called Abbey in the UK 3 times now who say there is no problems with the card (I also have the cards registered with the fraud dept so they dont stop my cards which you have to do every 3 months with Abbey when abroad) the last call to Abbey they mentioned that there were International atm withdrawal problems at present but did not have any more details than that at the time, just wondering if anybody else has an Abbey acct with an esaver cirrus cash card that is having any problems before i decide to go the long winded route of getting it replaced (or anybody with a cirrus only atm card from the UK).

Thanks in advance for any replies :)

I have a Nationwide Cirrus card and there are often problems. Yesterday (Sat) I tried the card in numerous ATM's and none worked (various error messages). Today it worked in the first machine I tried. I was in Australia a couple of weeks ago and had the exact same problem with my UK ATM card. Thankfully the SCB card worked fine.

I have a Nationwide Cirrus card and there are often problems. Yesterday (Sat) I tried the card in numerous ATM's and none worked (various error messages). Today it worked in the first machine I tried. I was in Australia a couple of weeks ago and had the exact same problem with my UK ATM card. Thankfully the SCB card worked fine.

When I have asked the bank about this, I have been told it is an international transmission problem within the system.

Hi All,

I have an Abbey UK bank acct and have an esaver cash card (Cirrus) and a multi-function card (Visa Debit card) both cards have always worked in Bangkok from the ATM machines here but over the last 2/3 days my cash card has not worked (I make sure i use a cirrus logo machine) I have tried many different banks and have called Abbey in the UK 3 times now who say there is no problems with the card (I also have the cards registered with the fraud dept so they dont stop my cards which you have to do every 3 months with Abbey when abroad) the last call to Abbey they mentioned that there were International atm withdrawal problems at present but did not have any more details than that at the time, just wondering if anybody else has an Abbey acct with an esaver cirrus cash card that is having any problems before i decide to go the long winded route of getting it replaced (or anybody with a cirrus only atm card from the UK).

Thanks in advance for any replies :)

same here my my cirrus cards . whta's happening?

I also use a cirrus card - nationwide , and have found that whenever I do have a rejection from an ATM in Thailand it is always in the morning , if I wait until after midday then I have never had any problem. Don't know why and gave up trying to withdraw cash A.M.

I have had problems using my Nationwide Visa Debit, Card Provider told me

1. do not request max daily limit.

2. try and hourt later if first attempt fails

Worked for me last few tries

Had same probs and told same thing when I phone. Can draw only a maximum of 10,000 baht, and if I request too close to the 300 pounds they put a block on my card. Use my Halifax card, get 15,000 baht at least at the present exchange rate, no probs.

Sent them message via secure link, told I can withdraw up to the 300 pounds limit, no restrictions in Thailand!!! Tested it in Bangkok yesterday (live in Pattaya), still only allowed 10,000 baht.

Am giving up with NW and arranging to have pension paid to Halifax.

Can i ask something ?

Are all the contributers to this thread long term stayers/retirees/here on business?

If you all are then why havent you opened up a Thai bank account and "Swifted" the money to it from UK?

Works out cheaper in the long run

Hedonist

Can i ask something ?

Are all the contributers to this thread long term stayers/retirees/here on business?

If you all are then why havent you opened up a Thai bank account and "Swifted" the money to it from UK?

Works out cheaper in the long run

Hedonist

Easy...Because we do not trust Thai banks...never know what will happen to your money if its banked in Thailand...

Just been on the phone again to Abbey UK, they are still saying my Cirrus card should be working and there is nothing wrong with it, certainly a problem concerning Thailand phone lines/communications at the moment (i have never known it to go on for 6 days though) They have given me the phone number for Cirrus so i am going to call them now to see if they are the culprit :-)

I have had problems using my Nationwide Visa Debit, Card Provider told me

1. do not request max daily limit.

2. try and hourt later if first attempt fails

Worked for me last few tries

Had same probs and told same thing when I phone. Can draw only a maximum of 10,000 baht, and if I request too close to the 300 pounds they put a block on my card. Use my Halifax card, get 15,000 baht at least at the present exchange rate, no probs.

Sent them message via secure link, told I can withdraw up to the 300 pounds limit, no restrictions in Thailand!!! Tested it in Bangkok yesterday (live in Pattaya), still only allowed 10,000 baht.

Am giving up with NW and arranging to have pension paid to Halifax.

I have not used a foreign card for many years but as I recall you could obtain 10k without home bank approval (the card cirrus/plus allowed it) but for more contact/approval had to be made with home bank. Some banks may take down there computer systems for backups so can not be reached in early morning hours there time. I don't know that is your problem but it may be a possibility. If using UK bank I would try in late afternoon here to see if it works.

Yes, just tried my Abbey Card and after it asked me if it ok to deduct the 150baht it came back and said 'contact your bank'

Yep same as what I have been getting for the last 6/7 days now, i tried to contact Cirrus but the number Abbey gave me was not working, tried to google and alls i could come up with was a Mastercard Customer Service number (as they run cirrus) tried calling that and they had no idea either....MUST be something to do with Thailand, have they stopped excepting Cirrus now here? you know whats its like here nobody tells you anything....Gonna ask at a bank tomorrow (that should be a laff)

After reading this thread I went to the local UOB ATM and withdrew 1000 baht using my RBS cirrus card. This is the card that I regularly use to withdraw money in Thailand. I hadn't used it for about two weeks and was due to withdraw 20,000 tomorrow but thought I had better check in case I had a similar problem.

It dispensed the money and as is normal with UOB did not charge me the 150 baht fee (one of the only banks left that is not charging)

So, at the moment it seems RBS is working ok.

After reading this thread I went to the local UOB ATM and withdrew 1000 baht using my RBS cirrus card. This is the card that I regularly use to withdraw money in Thailand. I hadn't used it for about two weeks and was due to withdraw 20,000 tomorrow but thought I had better check in case I had a similar problem.

It dispensed the money and as is normal with UOB did not charge me the 150 baht fee (one of the only banks left that is not charging)

So, at the moment it seems RBS is working ok.

Thanks for the info.....

Pretty sure i have already tried UOB however will give it another go, can you tell what UOB atm that you used?

Edited by beekaykay

Most ATMs in thailand seem to have a transaction limit based on the number of notes dispensed. It seem to work out at a bit less than 20000 baht generally.

The 300 pound limit may need multiple transactions.

I have never seen an ATM that could not dispense 20 bills - so if they have 1,000 baht notes that is 20k. Bangkok Bank ATM's all can provide 25 bills.

I believe poster was limited to 10k period - not allowed another transaction. But I could be wrong on that.

Just to let you all know, my Abbey UK Cirrus card worked yesterday for the first time in 9 days, I managed to draw 10k out from SCB (didnt try anymore just did a fast 10k draw) so i assume Cirrus/Abbey or Thailand were having communication problems and they just got resolved.... :)