Illegal Hypnosis

Digitalbanana

People have to want to be hypnotized for it to work.

"A hypnotic state is a state in which the conscious mind is so preoccupied or confused, that a thought created by a statement or by experience can bypass the critical factor and pass powerfully into the subconscious mind. If not removed by subsequent conscious logic, the thought will remain as an ongoing and powerful force."

This is a common perception, but a wrong one.

If accidental hypnosis worked officers of the law would use it all the time on criminals for confessions.

For hypnosis to be effective, it requires technique, it isnt just a question of waving a watch in front of someone.

Someone referred earlier to Derren Brown fleecing tourists. He is right, The ploy used is called the Russian Scam and (as the poster stated), it does not involve hypnosis.

There are so many mis-understandings about hypnosis that people naturally repeat what they have been told in the past. The following is qualified and definitive, trust me:

1. Hypnosis does not require the consent of the subject, and can be induced without the subjects knowledge.

2. Hypnosis does not require the active participation of the subject, though it is generally easier with it.

3. Under hypnosis or by other psychological means, the subjects perception can be altered such that the subject will act against their values and normal morality (though this is nearly always difficult).

4. Hypnosis in one form or another can and is used to swindle people from time to time and there are many examples of this across the world. However, it is not easy and requires technique.

5. Most people are frightened of the idea of 'mind control' and therefore fear hypnosis. This is misplaced, hypnosis is a perfectly normal state and you will have drifted in and out of a hypnoidal state at various times today already.

Hope this helps, forum discussions about hypnosis can often be all head and no beer.

Kev

Aaaaaaand, WAKE UP!!

Don't read anything Kev writes, TVers.....he's trying to control your mind.

Hey Kev.....

"Grandad, Grandad, what happened to that woman you were having sex with?"...

"Oh, grandson, she bled to death from gonhorrea"....

"But Grandad, you can't bleed to death from gonhorrea!".....

"You do if you give it to me!"...

Kevin Bloody Wilson, if I recall.

Aaaaaaand, WAKE UP!!

Don't read anything Kev writes, TVers.....he's trying to control your mind.

Bugger. Sprung.

Hey Kev.....

Yah?

"Grandad, Grandad, what happened to that woman you were having sex with?"...

"Oh, grandson, she bled to death from gonhorrea"....

"But Grandad, you can't bleed to death from gonhorrea!".....

"You do if you give it to me!"...

Kevin Bloody Wilson, if I recall.

Probably - sounds a lot like him. Erm me. No, wait, that's not right. Just look at this shiny little thing here. Look deeply... :)

Kev