Long-time Farang Residents And Their Thai Language Vacancy

zzaa09

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I struggle with Thai as I am poor with languages. Tried Spanish bit failed.

Reckon I am in the group of overpaid expats that loiter in farang only circles, with Thai staff that speak fluent English and I love it. I buy what I want, say what I want and do what I want cos I have money. Is there a Thai word for my behaviour?

Lug-gee (lucky)

I struggle with Thai as I am poor with languages. Tried Spanish bit failed.

Reckon I am in the group of overpaid expats that loiter in farang only circles, with Thai staff that speak fluent English and I love it. I buy what I want, say what I want and do what I want cos I have money. Is there a Thai word for my behaviour?

Lug-gee (lucky)

Ta-wat. It's actually an English word but how the Thais would ponounce it! :) Respect dude!

I've been here a year and a half and I would say I am fluent in Thai (but far from bilingual) BUT this was after three years of studying Thai a couple of times a week back home in England. I trained as a translator, and almost fully bilingual in French and English, with a high level in two other Euro languages.

I can completely understand those who don't speak much Thai, or none at all. I think that it is true that some people have a natural aptitude for learning other languages, and this makes it a much less painful process. And Thai is not a very easy language for many people to get their head around - for me, it was the fourth language I learned after English, and I found that there were very few points of reference or similarities. I also think that after learning one language, the next is easier - you have a kind of "technique", a way of storing the words and phrases. Equally, there were things which were a huge relief (no le/la, no complicated conjugation or tenses).

I've seen people try very hard to retain Thai words, and yet they still cannot, and that is really frustrating for them. Personally, I am not great at maths and have also long struggled to learn to drive (really frustrating - it looks so easy!). People ask me how I can possibly manage - and yet I always have. I cannot deny there have been times when it would have been easier if I could drive. And I know I shouldn't give up. Equally, there have been so many times in the past year or so living in Thailand where I have been completely relieved that I speak Thai. It makes life so easy, and makes for a more interesting life. But I can see how others can manage (especially here in Bangkok). And I know yet other expats who had to learn English when they moved here, which was already hard work.

The time issue is quite a big deal, too. My partner has an extremely demanding job, with barely enough time to relax, or spend time doing things he enjoys. He planned to learn Thai when we moved here, and has spent some time trying, but physically doesn't have the time. When he does get to chill out, spending hours learning an unfamiliar language is the last thing he wants to do. "Picking it up" is one thing, and he has learned a bit that way, but you need a basic grounding to follow what's going on. Plus, he has his own personal interpreter :)

Very long post just to say that I agree with the person that said "live and let live"!

in Thailand you say something just a little wrong or with the wrong tone, the Thais do not have a clue or have it in them to try to understand let alone correct you. so I am sorry to say, I think I have given up on learning it. it is a hard language to learn and those who do not speak it I do not think are idiots.

also I think I would rather not understand what some Thais say about us when we are in earshot because they know we cant understand them.

whilst i havent given up trying, the truth is, the more i understand, the more i'm offended by the blatant rudeness of some people.

And the immediate lies, or 'you not understand' or the turning of the back. (i wont acknowledge u now i know u understood my remarks)

but what can u do?

write scathing notes and give them to impolite ppl? yeah right

pretend ppl dont have rascist, or just offensive comments to make? it helps, but not really.(like trying to unscramble eggs)

to be fair, the education system is to blame,or the ppl behind the system.

not the individuals who've been 'educated' by it

i dunno, its almost perfect living here, especially compared to the fascist EU.

Im not going anywhere, but the 'smile' doesnt work on me, i can see the scowl right thru ur 'smiles'

love.

ef

Edited by edgarfriendly

come on you all.... lighten up, pls !

learning how to speak basic thai language so you can get around shops, towns and markets, is not that difficult really. just look at my humble self for example.... lol

information gathered from posts around here seem to me at least that most of us are learning the thai language apparently without clear personal goals and objectives that are important to you and only you--you should forget what your friends or teachers want to teach you.

why should you want to learn what your teachers want to teach you? are you paying him to teach you what you want to learn or

is he paying you to learn what he wants you to learn? digest that for a moment, before you want to argue the point....

FORGET WHAT THEY WANT.... CONCENTRATE ON WHAT YOU WANT TO LEARN, OK?

once you have your personal goals and objectives clearly written out, i can guarantee you, your learning the thai conversation will speed up 100 times....

the reasons? that is easy.... it is something that you want to learn, you know you can use it, you know where to use it, you know how badly you want to say something to someone to impress, get even or otherwise.... lol. you are not learning something that is important to your teacher or your friends, which may or may not have any importance or application for you at all.... why on earth do you want to waste your precious time doing that....

on the contrary, if it is something that you can walk out and say it, use it and get away with it immediately, won't you want to pay a little more attention to master it..... you would, won't you? because it is important to you and it might help you to have a better life immediately and in the future as well.... won't you feel a little more eager to learn...? if it were me, i would definitely.

the point is.... just learn what you want to.... then you will be good at it.... for sure.... guarantee.... just look at my humble self for example.... lol

POOD THAI DAI MAI KRUP?

• 2 months later...

Sorry to resurrect an old thread….

In my case I don't think it's for lack of effort. I first came to Thailand in 1977, returned year after year, started studying Thai in ernest in 1996 and retired here in 2005. I've been through Rosetta Stone, Pimsleur, Becker and many others. To this day I still have trouble asking for a bottle of water. I have great difficulty making myself understood and spoken Thai to me is just an unintelligible buzz.

BTW, I can speak what my wife calls "Rosetta Stone Thai". Unfortunately, it bears little resemblance to every day spoken Thai. She's the only one with whom I can speak it. She does a very nice imitation of it and finds it to be hilarious. That said, I credit Rosetta Stone with teaching me how to read Thai.

At this point I find this to be incredibly embarrassing. When I go to a restaurant they simply don't understand why I can read their Thai language menu, but have to point instead of speaking my order. My wife's family and the merchants I deal with all the time simply don't understand how I could live here so long and still can't speak to them or understand them.

It's horribly frustrating to go out with my fluent friends and realize how much fun I'm missing by being the equivalent of a deaf aphasic.

In short, it's awful and I don't know what to do about it.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread….

In my case I don't think it's for lack of effort......

It's horribly frustrating to go out with my fluent friends and realize how much fun I'm missing by being the equivalent of a deaf aphasic.

In short, it's awful and I don't know what to do about it.

Same here, altho I haven't tried half as much. I have no intention to try again. But I'm not leaving.

I struggle with Thai as I am poor with languages. Tried Spanish bit failed.Reckon I am in the group of overpaid expats that loiter in farang only circles, with Thai staff that speak fluent English and I love it. I buy what I want, say what I want and do what I want cos I have money. Is there a Thai word for my behaviour?
yes, there seem to be a perfect phase for such universal behaviors befitting such life style as well.... lol; it is aptly termed.... farang key nok, hork bai, song sa luoeng. translation into simplified english? farang --westerners. key nok--airborne creatures' manure. hork bai--six pieces; song sa luoeng--for the price of two quarters (thai monetary unit--25 satungs equal one sa-luoeng, 4 sa-luoeng equal 1 baht) that is a comical ancient saying, not a very flattery phrase, i am afraid. it might not be even remotely applicable in any expat real life.... lol however, for the self description you expressed above, this thai phrase appears to be very closely equivalent indeed.... lol. cheers....
Wouldn't it simply translate into cheapskate, which wouldn't be apt.

Laziness, complacency, unconcern, lack of interest, having personal translator, did not expect to stay here that long, try to learn, but cannot remember a word, never speak with Thais anyway, generally never speak with someone else, thinks that he can speak Thai, but in reality cannot, can speak Thai, but not Lao, and so forth.

Surely, for the older residents, wouldn't one consider a language comprehension a beneficial plus? Know the language, know the culture.......or not.

why do you ask and why do you care, after all they don"t :)