Missing American In Thailand

george

Missing Person

post-128-1248700271_thumb.png

Michael Griffin Harrie

Description:

American citizen, Height: 5 feet 11 inches, Weight: 175 lbs

Brown Hair, Blue eyes, wears glasses

Last seen exiting Bangkok Airport early hours of Tuesday 14th July 2009 wearing dark brown, short sleeved shirt, black suit pants and black, leather shoes.

Michael spent the weekend of 11/12th July in Hua Hin before travelling to Bangkok by train, visiting Sangjan Suvarnabhum Pub/Restaurant near Bangkok airport evening of 13th July.

A reward is payable by his distraught parents for information that assists us in locating Michael.

If you have seen Michael please contact Scott: 0818 061 968 or [email protected]

--

NOTE: This missing person request has been approved by Admin. Please keep this thread civil. Thanks. :)

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My suggestion to the family is that at least one of their number come to Bangkok and hire a Private Eye to do some investigative work.

There are some PI's here (farang) with good reputations, and it seems like there are some decent leads that could be followed up.

He/they could also liaise with the police and see what they are doing about this.

I hope they come up with something soon, but given all the trouble with scamming farangs at the airport recently, I fear the poor guy may have got caught up in one of these scams.

I mean no disrespect, but my understanding is that the "mafia" police" look out for 'vulnerable' looking farangs who are away from the usual tourist haunts. He may have been targeted.

I hope to God he turns up soon.

Missing Person

Michael Griffin Harrie

Description:

Last seen exiting Bangkok Airport early hours of Tuesday 14th July 2009 wearing dark brown, short sleeved shirt, black suit pants and black, leather shoes.

Michael spent the weekend of 11/12th July in Hua Hin before travelling to Bangkok by train, visiting Sangjan Suvarnabhum Pub/Restaurant near Bangkok airport evening of 13th July.

A reward is payable by his distraught parents for information that assists us in locating Michael.

If you have seen Michael please contact Scott: 0818 061 968 or [email protected]

--

NOTE: This missing person request has been approved by Admin. Please keep this thread civil. Thanks. :)

service like this makes your forum tick. how else can we help? tried forwarding this message directly to no avail though. anyone?

George,

I hope the family has sought some professional advice about this, perhaps with the Police in their home country and that somebody is checking his bank records to see if, when and where his latest transactions have taken place. The Police obviously know how to do all of this through the correct channels.

George,

I hope the family has sought some professional advice about this, perhaps with the Police in their home country and that somebody is checking his bank records to see if, when and where his latest transactions have taken place. The Police obviously know how to do all of this through the correct channels.

I think we all hope that he is safe and well, and with any luck the authorities are doing all the proper checks.

"Last seen exiting Bangkok Airport early hours of Tuesday 14th July 2009 wearing dark brown, short sleeved shirt, black suit pants and black, leather shoes.

Michael spent the weekend of 11/12th July in Hua Hin before travelling to Bangkok by train, visiting Sangjan Suvarnabhum Pub/Restaurant near Bangkok airport evening of 13th July."

Last seen leaving the airport on the 14th - yet in Bangkok on the 13th. Makes one think why he went into the airport and back out again the same day? Did he have friends that he was taking to the airport?

Hope he is well, but best not to get too worried. I 'went missing' for months in Asia when I was his age. But if he is the type to call home everday then maybe cause for some slight concern.

If you find out why he was at the airport, that will be the best lead to start with.

Yep, really need more details regarding his status. Was he due to return home etc.?

Hopefully it is just a case of he doesn't fancy going home just yet. You really can get intoxicated with the buzz of Thailand. I did something similar years ago and decided i wanted to stay here. Obviously ill thougt out and had to return anyway but in the meantime, people at home were worried and they contacted the police- at huge embarrsssment to myself on my 'tail between legs' return.

Here's hoping all turns out well.

Citizen of Pong

Group: Advanced Members

Member No.: 25,991

My suggestion to the family is that at least one of their number come to Bangkok and hire a Private Eye to do some investigative work.

There are some PI's here (farang) with good reputations, and it seems like there are some decent leads that could be followed up.

He/they could also liaise with the police and see what they are doing about this.

I hope they come up with something soon, but given all the trouble with scamming farangs at the airport recently, I fear the poor guy may have got caught up in one of these scams.

I mean no disrespect, but my understanding is that the "mafia" police" look out for 'vulnerable' looking farangs who are away from the usual tourist haunts. He may have been targeted.

oh dear...a pi with good reputation ........yeh right. they are just workless farangs that need to make a bob or two.

If you are the parents come here and do the work yourself. stay clear of the FARANG and THAI PI's. Dont't listen to the average farang guy who spend most of the day in a pattaya bar then posts on TV. Do it yourself.

Edited by namoo

Citizen of Pong

Group: Advanced Members

Member No.: 25,991

oh dear...a pi with good reputation ........yeh right. they are just workless farangs that need to make a bob or two.

If you are the parents come here and do the work yourself. stay clear of the FARANG and THAI PI's. Dont't listen to the average farang guy who spend most of the day in a pattaya bar then posts on TV. Do it yourself.

For your information namoo.

There are some very good farang private investigators in bkk.

Two i know of very well one american and one from UK

Engaging your brain before comment and knowing what you are talking about beforehand does help. :)

Missing Person

Michael Griffin Harrie

Description:

--

Lets pray that he is reunited with his family soon.

Did he take a taximeter?

In the past several tourists have been robbed and murdered by Bangkok taxi drivers.

My first port of call would it be to make enquiries with taxi drivers in and around the airport who may have seen him?

To also make it known within the airport that there is a reward for information that will lead to Michael’s whereabouts.

Can’t imagine what the parents are going through, but Michael may yet turn up safe and well, similar to the English guy lost in the Australian outback recently.

Did he take a taximeter?

In the past several tourists have been robbed and murdered by Bangkok taxi drivers.

My first port of call would it be to make enquiries with taxi drivers in and around the airport who may have seen him?

To also make it known within the airport that there is a reward for information that will lead to Michael's whereabouts.

Can't imagine what the parents are going through, but Michael may yet turn up safe and well, similar to the English guy lost in the Australian outback recently.

You must be the most reassuring poster on Thaivisa congratulations!

Did he take a taximeter?

To also make it known within the airport that there is a reward for information that will lead to Michael's whereabouts.

Can't imagine what the parents are going through, but Michael may yet turn up safe and well, similar to the English guy lost in the Australian outback recently.

You must be the most reassuring poster on Thaivisa congratulations!

My heartfelt sympathy to all that are close to Michael and sadly what I am saying has to be taken into consideration and is not speculation.

I have children of my own and have warned them about travelling in taxis alone in Thailand.

The reputation of Bangkok taxi drivers is a fact and as the last sighting of Michael was of him exiting Bangkok airport, it could be likely that he took a cab somewhere. Even if no taxi driver done him harm, a driver may remember picking up Michael and to which destination.

This is why I believe interviewing taxi drivers should be a priority.

I also mentioned that Michael may turn up safe and well. Let us hope that this is going to be the case.

Edited by sassienie

For your information namoo.

There are some very good farang private investigators in bkk.

Two i know of very well one american and one from UK

Engaging your brain before comment and knowing what you are talking about beforehand does help. :)

Thank you cyb.

yes there are indeed some excellent PI firms with integrity in BKK who know their way around, and have good contacts.

How on earth could anyone who has never even been to Thailand begin to start to in investigate this disappearance?

And God forbid you put it 100% in the hands of the Thai police.

I don't want this thread to digress, as it is too important, but why is it that so many posters come on to these threads and insult other posters and immediately assume they spend all their time in bars?

I have been around Thailand for over 35 years, and I do know a things or two about what goes on this country, and, yes I also speak the language.

If can be of any help to the family, then please do not hesitate to contact me- I could even help with finding the right PI, if need be.

Good luck

Mobi

Its only 2 weeks. Lets just hope he fell in love with a Thai lady and he went back to her home somewhere in the countryside where there is no phone or internet. All I'm saying, I live here and even I go "missing for 2 weeks" from time to time.

For the family to come here and investigate on their own would be counterproductive. There are good investigative services available. I have a Thai friend who worked for a security company and they had several farang investigators. My friend did mostly translation services for them, but occasionally some safe surveillance work. They were very professional and quite successful. They were often looking for people to serve them with legal documents--court orders, etc. etc.

I certainly hope he is found safe and sound.

My thoughts are with the family.

Is there any other background information? Was he a tourist? (it seems implied by the references to the airport and going to the beach, but unsure) Did he live in Bangkok? How long was he in Thailand? Did he work here? Did he have any friends here?

Its good that the call has been put out for this man, but if he has only been out of touch with his parents for a week and a half, perhaps (as another poster said) he doesn't want to be found yet. I'm not a parent, but my parents have freaked out once or twice when they haven't heard from me for a while, and then cannot contact me after 4 or 5 days of trying. I think that's just part of being a parent, but it can be embarrassing when you are a well-traveled adult and have decided to escape from your mobile phone for a while.

On the one hand it's wonderful to have a caring support group, but it's a fine line between that and emasculating embarrassment. I think the onus falls upon the person traveling. If you know that your family is prone to worrying about you, have some form of regular contact so that they can see your plans, and stop worrying. A short email, an sms, a post on your blog, etc...

****Edited for clarity****

Edited by Meridian007

I remember reading about some American guy go missing a few years ago. he was the type to call home every few days and so his family were worried about him. but he turned up in a temple up country where there was no phones and internet. it seemed hi just wanted to try and be a monk for a short while. all was good in the end.

I hope this one ends up the same way.

Ok, for all you braniacs recommending the use of a PI, police agency, clarvoyants etc. please pay close attention to the name and email used in the "flyer". It is from ASA Group. ASA has both a crisis management unit and an ability to provide certain security services. This should hopefully quiet the second guessers. How come I'm the only one that spots this stuff?

Please note that a responsible security consultant would not go this route unless there was a definite concern and not simply a case of a wayward boy sewing his wild oats. Second guessing the motive now serves no purpose.

In respect to the flyer, it would be helpful to know if the person has any specific medical ailments or conditions that could be used to locate him. For example, if he is diabetic and uses a specific type of insulin it can quickly narrow the places he would most likely have to purchase the product. The same goes for medical conditions requiring medication. For example, certain drugs for rare conditions are only available through certain pharmacies in Thailand. Appreciably one doesn't wish to release personal information, but hopefully this aspect has been considered. Although he doesn't look the type, distinguishing tatoos or deformities or birthmarks would assist. (You never know who you see on the beach.) In the event that he favours certain lifestyle choices, it would suggest he would prefer certain entertainment venues. I mention all of this because it helps if someone knows what to keep his/her eyes open for.

BTW Mr. Mobi, I am delighted to see that you are on the mend.

To give you all further information on the case.

Michael was in Hua Hin on the 11th and 12th July and as mentioned in our post, took the train to Bangkok on the 13th. He was then seen inside Suvarnabhumi International Airport on the morning of the 14th but did not check in for his international flight. Instead he exited the airport at approx 0430 hours from the departure level.

As of today 28th July, it has been confirmed by the Royal Thai Police and Immigration that Michael has not left the country through legal means, and has not been arrested or admitted to any hospitals.

Thank you for all your input and assistance on this matter.

Best regards

Scott

ASA Group

Lots of farangs becoming Monks at the moment.

Was he religious? I know many people who left Europe and became Monks here.

Maybe he did not board his flight as he met someone and they called him, is there a way to

check telephone logs, also cameras at Swampy might have captured him on film, might give

a hint as to why he did not board

Edited by beano2274

To give you all further information on the case.

Michael was in Hua Hin on the 11th and 12th July and as mentioned in our post, took the train to Bangkok on the 13th. He was then seen inside Suvarnabhumi International Airport on the morning of the 14th but did not check in for his international flight. Instead he exited the airport at approx 0430 hours from the departure level.

As of today 28th July, it has been confirmed by the Royal Thai Police and Immigration that Michael has not left the country through legal means, and has not been arrested or admitted to any hospitals.

Thank you for all your input and assistance on this matter.

Best regards

Scott

ASA Group

Thank you for the update, which is pretty much what I had thought had happened from the original information.

Suvarnabhumi isn't exactly downtown Bangkok, and once you lave the airport environs you are very much in 'Thai' Thailand where there are very few if any, farangs wandering around.

This is why I, for one, am worried that he has been approached by someone who may want to scam or harm him in some way. It is becoming more and more common for single farangs to be targeted in this way, especially since the recession took hold.

I don't want to be an alarmist, but the sooner you get a PI on this the better.