Cm Aquarium

lukeskywalker

I have a ticket to the CM aquarium, which I know is located within the CM zoo. My question is, do I have to pay the zoo entrance fee just to be able to get to the aquarium?

And if I have to pay, if I show my work permit papers or something showing that I'm not just a tourists, can I pay the Thai fee and not the farang/tourist fee?

I have a ticket to the CM aquarium, which I know is located within the CM zoo. My question is, do I have to pay the zoo entrance fee just to be able to get to the aquarium?

And if I have to pay, if I show my work permit papers or something showing that I'm not just a tourists, can I pay the Thai fee and not the farang/tourist fee?

We have been to the Aquarium twice and never paid the zoo fee. Thai drivers license got me the Thai price both times.

Iain

We have been to the Aquarium twice and never paid the zoo fee. Thai drivers license got me the Thai price both times.

Iain

Just to be 100% correct we have of course allways paid the zoo fee when we have been visiting only the zoo.

Iain

A few weeks ago the CM Zoo Aquarium's manager came to a meeting of the CM Expats Club and announced that members would get buy-one-get-one (BOGO) free ticket pricing in July.

Last week Hubby and I traveled to the Zoo, went to the ticket office for the Aquarium (a separate ticket office next to the Zoo ticket office), plopped down our CM Expats Club cards and were offered two tickets for 250 baht each. I insisted we had to pay for only one ticket and after it was obvious I wasn't going to cave in or go away, they called the office, had a little chat with the management and then said started smiling and saying "Oh yes, Chiang Mai Expat's Club" as they referred to a memo on the bulletin board in the ticket office. Then they offered me two 450 baht tickets, saying I only had to pay for one!

So, I guess the manager's offer to the Expat's club members was a BOGO if you bought the "foreigner" tickets. Yet by showing the Expat's Club card we were offered tickets at the resident Thai price. Still, we saved 50 baht by holding firm and sorting out the details for the Expat's Club special deal.

Incidentally, the aquarium was really good. Well worth the visit. I didn't see any visitors diving in the tanks, but the staff was in there feeding the sharks and the sting rays.

We didn't have to pay Zoo entry fee but you take a little trolley from the ticket office to the Aquarium, so you do get to see some of the Zoo and pass the fabled panda house. We want to go back to check out the panda Snow Dome.

Yes to both. Pay to get in and pay again for the aquarium. Both I showed my CM driving licence ( Well my Thai wife did!) and both times got in at the Thai rate. It's worth it, the aquarium is expensive but good.

A few weeks ago the CM Zoo Aquarium's manager came to a meeting of the CM Expats Club and announced that members would get buy-one-get-one (BOGO) free ticket pricing in July.

Last week Hubby and I traveled to the Zoo, went to the ticket office for the Aquarium (a separate ticket office next to the Zoo ticket office), plopped down our CM Expats Club cards and were offered two tickets for 250 baht each. I insisted we had to pay for only one ticket and after it was obvious I wasn't going to cave in or go away, they called the office, had a little chat with the management and then said started smiling and saying "Oh yes, Chiang Mai Expat's Club" as they referred to a memo on the bulletin board in the ticket office. Then they offered me two 450 baht tickets, saying I only had to pay for one!

So, I guess the manager's offer to the Expat's club members was a BOGO if you bought the "foreigner" tickets. Yet by showing the Expat's Club card we were offered tickets at the resident Thai price. Still, we saved 50 baht by holding firm and sorting out the details for the Expat's Club special deal.

Incidentally, the aquarium was really good. Well worth the visit. I didn't see any visitors diving in the tanks, but the staff was in there feeding the sharks and the sting rays.

We didn't have to pay Zoo entry fee but you take a little trolley from the ticket office to the Aquarium, so you do get to see some of the Zoo and pass the fabled panda house. We want to go back to check out the panda Snow Dome.

Wasn't really buy one get one free then was it? It would have been too open wouldn't it for Chiangmai Expats Club - and they openly promote these offers as the best thing since sliced bread - to say you can get in for the thai price with a drivers licence etc but we will give you a discount if you pay the inflated price. What's the motto "Smoke and mirrors" :)

Yeah, I was pretty steamed when I realized the BOGO offer was for the foreigner tickets, yet by showing the Expat's Club membership card, they were willing to give us the Thai rate for two tickets. So, we saved only 50 baht. Not exactly a great deal, but at least it paid for our songtaew ride there.

We didn't pay Zoo entry fee. They were very careful to see that we rode to the Aquarium on the little trolley and came straight away back when done. We wouldn't have been allowed to wander around the grounds after we got to the Aquarium.

From time to time there is concern or confusion (50 bhat here and 50 bhat there) expressed on TV Chiang Mai about admission prices at the Chiang Mai Zoo.

Perhaps there should be more appreciation for having so remarkable a zoo in such a small town.

Should you wish to donate to the upkeep and improvement of the zoo as a "Friend of the Chiang Mai Zoo," contact the zoo management. They will appreciate it. And you will also get some nominal special privileges.

Not a remarkable enough zoo for you ? Well, then try Spicey's after hours.

Edited by Mapguy

Well, I went yesterday with a ticket just to the aquarium and they let me walk there which meant I had all day to walk around the zoo too. Even after the aquarium, I had to walk back so I could go see animals I didn't see coming in.

I looked at going into the panda exhibit but they said you can only see the pandas via CCTV. I can do that on the local news.

I also got to snorkel in the aquarium, THAT was a real treat. Nurse sharks cruising by and letting you touch them, all the people in the tunnels waiving and taking your picture like you're some kind of famous exotic fish.

Good day.